IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amanda Knox , Meredith Kercher , murder cases , Raffaele Sollecito

Closed Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 04:57 PM   #521
carbonjam72
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
That is quite interesting. The DM language is not fully clear, I assume the lawyers are asking the CSC to delay a decision until the ECHR moves on the application relating to calunnia.
I don't think I read this as asking the ISC to suspend its hearing, I read this as a request to the ECHR to step in and suspend the ISC proceedings until such time as they have addressed Amanda's ECHR calunnia appeal.

Here are the quote, I'll highlight why I'm reading it as a direct appeal to ECHR:

Quote:
However, it has now been revealed Knox's lawyers have turned to the European Court of Human Rights in a last ditch attempt to stop the final ratification of her conviction for murder.

They have asked for the case to be suspended, pending the acceptance of her appeal to the European Court against a conviction for slander.

Knox claims that she was coerced by police into making false statements blaming the murder on bar owner Patrick Lumumba during interrogations of more than 40 hours in November 2007.

As the slander is considered circumstantial evidence in her murder trial, her legal team asked for the murder trial to be suspended, Knox defence lawyer Carlo Della Vedova confirmed.

But the move has left representatives of the Kercher family shocked.
The Kercher's lawyer Vieri Fabiani said: ‘If the Strasbourg court condemns the Italian Republic, what would it change? What could it usefully serve? Absolutely nothing.’

Meanwhile, a consultant for Sollecito said that he had already said his goodbyes to his family and air hostess girlfriend Greta Menegaldo, who accompanied him to the packed courtroom this morning, where neither was able to find a seat.
The highlighted, and bolded quote from the Kercher's representative looks to me like they are worried about Strasbourg stepping in and ordering the proceedings suspended.

I'm reading this as a direct appeal to the ECHR.

And I don't think this is based on having received any signals from ECHR that the case would be accepted. I think its a last ditch strategy, just like Raf saying he can't remember if Amanda went out. They're throwing everything into it now, because they think they have nothing to lose.

I still think if ISC were left to deal with the case on its own, they would be acquitted without re-trial. Apparently both defense counsel don't agree.

Steve Moore said Amanda needed a final confirmation to get the case out of Italy and into the ECHR, but jesus you have to feel for Raf. He's reported in the DM article to have said good-bye to his family and girlfriend.

Meanwhile, the ISC can consider whether to endorse the notion of a shrewdly selective clean-up of DNA, fingerprints, and footsteps in wet blood leaving only Rudy's traces behind.

I can't see these convictions being confirmed, because its too damn crazy, and too damn public. But again, MOO.
carbonjam72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:07 PM   #522
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,382
Originally Posted by carbonjam72 View Post
Yes, Cuomo is a special kind of stupid. Thank god his father was governor, lord knows what that imbecile would be doing otherwise.
And his brother is the current Governor of NY.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:07 PM   #523
carbonjam72
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by Diocletus View Post
Is Fabiani a real lawyer? That has to be one if the most obtuse statements I've ever heard. More kercher rubbish.

The filing makes me think that dellavadova had a bad reaction to the proceedings today. I also can't believe that the echr would grant this relief; however, if they do, the case is over.
But ECHR should grant this relief. If the proceedings are based on human rights violations and unfair trial practices, it would save an enormous amount of heartache, expense and time to get it back onto the straight and narrow now.

Italy has already reversed the burden proof and is functioning under an inherently illegal standard. I say this because Dr Gill has said the burden on the defendants to prove contamination is literally impossible.

The reasoning employed thus far, with selective clean-ups, a rejection of DNA independent experts, the with holding and destruction of exculpatory evidence - you know what, Italy had its chance to play justice, its time for the adults to step in and show the kids how adults are supposed to behave.

It will be interesting to hear what happens next. Bit let's be straight about this, the Italian judiciary needs and deserves a punch in the mouth.
carbonjam72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:10 PM   #524
carbonjam72
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
And his brother is the current Governor of NY.
oh yeah, I forgot.

Hope this isn't off topic, But Brother Cuomo made a huge deal about curtailing corruption and formed a special committee for just that purpose. When they started digging up dirt, he disbanded the committee and cut their budget into irrelevancy. Truthfully, I never even liked the Dad.
carbonjam72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:10 PM   #525
Kaosium
Philosopher
 
Kaosium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,695
Originally Posted by carbonjam72 View Post
I don't think I read this as asking the ISC to suspend its hearing, I read this as a request to the ECHR to step in and suspend the ISC proceedings until such time as they have addressed Amanda's ECHR calunnia appeal.

Here are the quote, I'll highlight why I'm reading it as a direct appeal to ECHR:



The highlighted, and bolded quote from the Kercher's representative looks to me like they are worried about Strasbourg stepping in and ordering the proceedings suspended.

I'm reading this as a direct appeal to the ECHR.

And I don't think this is based on having received any signals from ECHR that the case would be accepted. I think its a last ditch strategy, just like Raf saying he can't remember if Amanda went out. They're throwing everything into it now, because they think they have nothing to lose.

I still think if ISC were left to deal with the case on its own, they would be acquitted without re-trial. Apparently both defense counsel don't agree.

Steve Moore said Amanda needed a final confirmation to get the case out of Italy and into the ECHR, but jesus you have to feel for Raf. He's reported in the DM article to have said good-bye to his family and girlfriend.

Meanwhile, the ISC can consider whether to endorse the notion of a shrewdly selective clean-up of DNA, fingerprints, and footsteps in wet blood leaving only Rudy's traces behind.

I can't see these convictions being confirmed, because its too damn crazy, and too damn public. But again, MOO.
Don't read too much into a Daily Mail article, especially regarding this case. The ECHR isn't that kind of court, it requires a conviction to be finalized before they'll even consider it, it has no power to do anything like what one possible reading of that suggests.

More likely CDV is just subtly reminding them that the Grown Ups will eventually be sitting in judgement of their kangaroo court.
__________________
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
Kaosium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:14 PM   #526
Diocletus
Illuminator
 
Diocletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,969
Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
Don't read too much into a Daily Mail article, especially regarding this case. The ECHR isn't that kind of court, it requires a conviction to be finalized before they'll even consider it, it has no power to do anything like what one possible reading of that suggests.

More likely CDV is just subtly reminding them that the Grown Ups will eventually be sitting in judgement of their kangaroo court.
It does have a mechanism to do this.
__________________
Forza Italia
Diocletus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:15 PM   #527
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,382
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
What you don't seem to understand, I don't have any poop theories, it's the PIP's that seem to. Amanda didn't smell it, she has never said she did, she does say she saw it though, and from where she pointed out that she saw it, it is not possible
OF COURSE IT IS POSSIBLE! Not that whether or not she could smell it is relevant. I really don't understand why this matters in any way. You will have to explain your reasoning.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:15 PM   #528
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by Diocletus View Post
Is Fabiani a real lawyer? That has to be one if the most obtuse statements I've ever heard. More kercher rubbish.

The filing makes me think that dellavadova had a bad reaction to the proceedings today. I also can't believe that the echr would grant this relief; however, if they do, the case is over.

Fabiani surprisingly is a real lawyer - from Florence - unless he's the guy on Facebook who supports Borrussia Dortmund soccer club.

I didn't think that interim measures would be available either. But you are right - case over if it's granted.

The timings are interesting - if he asked, when he asked and what led him to do it. Much is not clear. You would have thought that if he'd asked earlier they would have given their answer before today, so your speculation may be accurate.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:17 PM   #529
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
Don't read too much into a Daily Mail article, especially regarding this case. The ECHR isn't that kind of court, it requires a conviction to be finalized before they'll even consider it, it has no power to do anything like what one possible reading of that suggests.

More likely CDV is just subtly reminding them that the Grown Ups will eventually be sitting in judgement of their kangaroo court.
This is the calunnia conviction - it's finalised, but it relates to the murder case with cross over evidence. This would be a highly strategic move (but possibly a desperate one too). And yes, the ECHR has the power to grant this relief. But it's a huge deal. I would be pleasantly surprised. It would to all intents and purposes kill the cases if granted.

Last edited by Kauffer; 25th March 2015 at 05:21 PM.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:18 PM   #530
carbonjam72
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by Diocletus View Post
It does have a mechanism to do this.
That's my understanding too.

Even if there hadn't been a calunnia conviction before ECHR, I believe they reserve the right to intervene sooner if they want to. Though normally they require a final verdict before accepting a case.

Last edited by carbonjam72; 25th March 2015 at 05:22 PM.
carbonjam72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:19 PM   #531
Kaosium
Philosopher
 
Kaosium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,695
Originally Posted by Diocletus View Post
It does have a mechanism to do this.
That I didn't know, I was aware they had some sort of mechanism in dire circumstances to get cases heard faster, but not that they could do anything that might stop a current trial in its tracks before it was ruled upon.
__________________
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
Kaosium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:22 PM   #532
Kaosium
Philosopher
 
Kaosium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,695
Originally Posted by Kauffer View Post
This is the calunnia conviction - it's finalised, but it relates to the murder case with cross over evidence. This would be a highly strategic move (but possibly a desperate one too).
I get that part, what I was mostly responding to was CJ's opinion that it was a 'direct appeal to the ECHR' to suspend the current murder trial case. I wasn't aware there was anything they could do along those lines, but would be delighted to be proven wrong.
__________________
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."

Last edited by Kaosium; 25th March 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Kaosium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:26 PM   #533
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
I get that part, what I was mostly responding to was that CJ's opinion that it was a 'direct appeal to the ECHR' to suspend the current murder trial case. I wasn't aware there was anything they could do along those lines, but would be delighted to be proven wrong.
Yes that's exactly what it would be.

They would be saying to the ECHR - if you find for us over calunnia, then the murder case is sunk below the water line. So, let's put the horse before the cart and tell us the answer before they go ahead with a final, probably adverse judgement in the murder trial.

Last edited by Kauffer; 25th March 2015 at 05:28 PM.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:30 PM   #534
Kaosium
Philosopher
 
Kaosium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,695
Originally Posted by Kauffer View Post
Yes that's exactly what it would be.

They would be saying to the ECHR - if you find for us over calunnia, then the murder case is sunk below the water line. So, let's put the horse before the cart and tell us the answer before they go ahead with a final, probably adverse judgement in the murder trial.
Ah, OK. I still think it's more likely they asked the ISC to suspend judgement until the ECHR rules on the calunnia charge.

ETA

I understand CJ's argument and why he thinks so, I just think the Daily Mail article was written sloppily.
__________________
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."

Last edited by Kaosium; 25th March 2015 at 05:34 PM.
Kaosium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:32 PM   #535
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
Ah, OK. I still think it's more likely they asked the ISC to suspend judgement until the ECHR rules on the calunnia charge.
No, I'm pretty sure they've gone direct to the ECHR.

"However, it has now been revealed Knox's lawyers have turned to the European Court of Human Rights in a last ditch attempt to stop the final ratification of her conviction for murder."

Last edited by Kauffer; 25th March 2015 at 05:34 PM.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:39 PM   #536
Kaosium
Philosopher
 
Kaosium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,695
Originally Posted by Kauffer View Post
No, I'm pretty sure they've gone direct to the ECHR.

"However, it has now been revealed Knox's lawyers have turned to the European Court of Human Rights in a last ditch attempt to stop the final ratification of her conviction for murder."
That's exactly what I mean. That seems to imply that CDV literally appealed to the ECHR, (on this specifically) whereas I suspect they just wrote that sloppily and CDV was saying that to the ISC but was invoking the ECHR and the writer of the piece just put it as 'turning to the ECHR in a last ditch effort.'
__________________
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
Kaosium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:45 PM   #537
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
That's exactly what I mean. That seems to imply that CDV literally appealed to the ECHR, (on this specifically) whereas I suspect they just wrote that sloppily and CDV was saying that to the ISC but was invoking the ECHR and the writer of the piece just put it as 'turning to the ECHR in a last ditch effort.'
Well you could be right of course, but I don't see that being a mechanism before Cassation. Whereas we know there is a mechanism at the ECHR for precisely this situation - all be it that its application in these circumstances may not work.

The ECHR would have to be persuaded that Ms Knox would be placed in fairly immediate jeopardy, as far as I remember, and that's a stretch here.

I'll look into this more.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:46 PM   #538
Diocletus
Illuminator
 
Diocletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,969
Originally Posted by Kauffer View Post
No, I'm pretty sure they've gone direct to the ECHR.

"However, it has now been revealed Knox's lawyers have turned to the European Court of Human Rights in a last ditch attempt to stop the final ratification of her conviction for murder."
It puzzles me though how the Kerchers lawyer would know about this.
__________________
Forza Italia
Diocletus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:48 PM   #539
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by Diocletus View Post
It puzzles me though how the Kerchers lawyer would know about this.
Maybe they were all with the press gaggle and it came out there and then.

The Mail article was last updated about 8:30pm GMT, which is 12:30 - lunchtime in Seattle, but this press would have happened a couple of hours before that.

PNF haven't picked it up and it's not mentioned there, though they have people at the court - yummi's there too.

I haven't found another reference to it at all yet.

Last edited by Kauffer; 25th March 2015 at 05:57 PM.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:53 PM   #540
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,382
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
What you do not seem to understand, is she pointed out exactly where she was standing to the Prosecutor when asked before her first trial, a picture was taken from that same spot, and guess what, you can't even come close to seeing it, not to mention, the person taking the picture was probably quite a bit taller than Amanda's 5 foot, 4 inch stature.
So? Maybe she was just wrong about this point and she mis-remembered. That happens all the time in life. Don't you get that this is totally irrelevant? Amanda has no reason to lie about it even if she was guilty. With all respect, this is the kind of nonsense that guilters get bogged down in. They pick apart everything that they think is inconsistent and convince themselves that this is evidence of guilt. But the truth is this is at best minor mis-remembering. Far more important is that there is no link to Rudy. No incriminating tapped phone calls of any kind. No physical evidence and no credible motive, a TOD that makes their involvement virtually impossible.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:54 PM   #541
carbonjam72
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by Diocletus View Post
It puzzles me though how the Kerchers lawyer would know about this.
The defense counsel may have informed them, either as a courtesy, or possibly required by protocol. Or, the reporter could have phoned them up and asked, which I think may be more likely, because the counsel was reported as being in shock. If they were aware of it, why would they be in shock? Unless shock lasts a long time.
carbonjam72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 05:56 PM   #542
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10,224
Sub-source versus activity level and mixed DNA

In his chapter on this case Dr. Peter Gill wrote about Massei's incorrect inferences regarding the DNA in the bathroom on p. 147: "To reiterate these are statements that relate to the activity of transfer--not backed up by scientific evidence beyond the sub-source inference. The expectation is that mixtures of DNA will be observed as natural background when people share premises."
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:02 PM   #543
Kaosium
Philosopher
 
Kaosium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,695
Originally Posted by Kauffer View Post
Well you could be right of course, but I don't see that being a mechanism before Cassation. Whereas we know there is a mechanism at the ECHR for precisely this situation - all be it that its application in these circumstances may not work.
I dunno, they managed to delay it for two days already after delaying it for a day the last time they ruled; after seven and a half years what would be the big deal delaying it a few more weeks or months? If there's anything the Italian Court System would seem to have in spades it's the ability to delay justice!

Quote:
The ECHR would have to be persuaded that Ms Knox would be placed in fairly immediate jeopardy, as far as I remember, and that's a stretch here.

I'll look into this more.
Fair enough. I actually like it better your (and CJs) way, it possibly implies more positive things about a favorable ruling from the ECHR, but I don't want to get too excited when another explanation is that a Daily Mail writer got sloppy explaining something.
__________________
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
Kaosium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:07 PM   #544
carbonjam72
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
In his chapter on this case Dr. Peter Gill wrote about Massei's incorrect inferences regarding the DNA in the bathroom on p. 147: "To reiterate these are statements that relate to the activity of transfer--not backed up by scientific evidence beyond the sub-source inference. The expectation is that mixtures of DNA will be observed as natural background when people share premises."
Can we just please admit that Elvis has left the building?

Italy has failed to grasp the particulars of DNA evidence, collection, and processing. They have a tentative conviction based on selective clean-ups, ignored definitive evidence limiting TOD, destroyed and hidden exculpatory evidence, refused to test a presumed semen stain in a sexual assault case or hidden the result if they did, had a revolving pu-pu platter of motives ranging from halloween to poo in the toilet to nothing at all to whatever the only confirmed Killer wants to tell us;

It's hard to imagine a case that violates more ECHR protections, or does so more absurdly.

Italy's process is out of control. They are clowns in black robes, piling out of their clown car.

I really think "Italian justice" has reached the breaking point: no one finds it credible.

Just seems like a free for all at this point.
carbonjam72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:09 PM   #545
griffinmill
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 289
The Daily Mail reads pretty clear to me. DV is petitioning Cassazione to delay their ruling until the ECHR rules on the calunnia. Not too likely Cassazione cares, but it's worth a try, and of course it sounds good in the press.

That said, who knows how accurate the Daily Mail is in their reporting.
griffinmill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:15 PM   #546
carbonjam72
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
I dunno, they managed to delay it for two days already after delaying it for a day the last time they ruled; after seven and a half years what would be the big deal delaying it a few more weeks or months? If there's anything the Italian Court System would seem to have in spades it's the ability to delay justice!



Fair enough. I actually like it better your (and CJs) way, it possibly implies more positive things about a favorable ruling from the ECHR, but I don't want to get too excited when another explanation is that a Daily Mail writer got sloppy explaining something.
Just to clarify, Amanda's case is before ECHR for calunnia. But its related to the murder convictions, should they be confirmed. The issues in both arise from the same set of facts, so its a clean intervention.

Amanda may not be in immeidiate physical risk, although the procedural risk of a final confirmation could add years or possibly decades to the legal process.

But Raf is in immediate jeopardy of imprisonment. And his cause of actions would be identical to Amanda's IIUC, should their case be confirmed.

However, ECHR could intervene if they wanted, even without the calunnia case coming up for consideration. AND, ECHR could accept the case even if there were a final acquittal, because they spent four years in prison and a tub of money on legal fees, based on the same conduct from Italy.

Well, Italy does love a soap opera. I wonder if they do it deliberately? Could it maybe be the influence of the coliseum and the ghosts of gladiators past entertaining the bloodthirsty mob with mortal combat and bloodsport?

Last edited by carbonjam72; 25th March 2015 at 06:16 PM.
carbonjam72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:25 PM   #547
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by carbonjam72 View Post
Just to clarify, Amanda's case is before ECHR for calunnia. But its related to the murder convictions, should they be confirmed. The issues in both arise from the same set of facts, so its a clean intervention.

Amanda may not be in immeidiate physical risk, although the procedural risk of a final confirmation could add years or possibly decades to the legal process.

But Raf is in immediate jeopardy of imprisonment. And his cause of actions would be identical to Amanda's IIUC, should their case be confirmed.

However, ECHR could intervene if they wanted, even without the calunnia case coming up for consideration. AND, ECHR could accept the case even if there were a final acquittal, because they spent four years in prison and a tub of money on legal fees, based on the same conduct from Italy.

Well, Italy does love a soap opera. I wonder if they do it deliberately? Could it maybe be the influence of the coliseum and the ghosts of gladiators past entertaining the bloodthirsty mob with mortal combat and bloodsport?
Actually, that's quite interesting. I think it would depend to what extent the violation of rights was remedied by Italy following an acquittal - what there would be left to refer to the court. Numbers will know more about this than me. But if he gets damages, apology, obviously no criminal record etc, then arguably there is nothing much left to complain about. Obviously, there is nothing preventing an application being made in any circumstances, but the point of applications is to get violations remedied.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:27 PM   #548
griffinmill
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by Diocletus View Post
Is Fabiani a real lawyer? That has to be one if the most obtuse statements I've ever heard. More kercher rubbish.

The filing makes me think that dellavadova had a bad reaction to the proceedings today. I also can't believe that the echr would grant this relief; however, if they do, the case is over.
What about Fabiani's statement (that if the ECHR rules in favor of Knox, it would mean nothing) is obtuse?

The ECHR rarely has any impact on sentences. They largely slap wrists and impose fines.

All Fabiani is doing is contextualizing the actual power of the ECHR. Which has no jurisdiction whatsoever over any of its member countries' court proceedings.
griffinmill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:34 PM   #549
Numbers
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,595
Interim measures?

Originally Posted by Kauffer View Post
Well you could be right of course, but I don't see that being a mechanism before Cassation. Whereas we know there is a mechanism at the ECHR for precisely this situation - all be it that its application in these circumstances may not work.

The ECHR would have to be persuaded that Ms Knox would be placed in fairly immediate jeopardy, as far as I remember, and that's a stretch here.

I'll look into this more.
Well, this development, if it is true - may be stunning.

First of all, though, I don't trust the Daily Mail in terms of their reliability for presenting factual news. Even when they don't simply invent news, they (and other media, sometimes even responsible media) get things wrong. Also, the DM strives to put a sensational slant on what it prints.

It's possible that Amanda Knox and her lawyers have requested interim measures from ECHR. Those are orders to a State to not do something, and they have immediate effect. But they are generally (always, I thought) reserved for what ECHR considers life-and-death emergencies, such as extradition from a Council of Europe country, where supposedly one will not be tortured and/or killed, to another country where there is a real risk of such treatment. Here is an excerpt from the ECHR fact-sheet on interim measures:

Quote:
What are interim measures?
The Court may, under Rule 39 of its Rules of Court, indicate interim measures to any State party to the Convention. Interim measures are urgent measures which, according to the Court’s well-established practice, apply only where there is an imminent risk of irreparable harm. Such measures are decided in connection with proceedings before the Court without prejudging any subsequent decisions on the admissibility or merits of the case in question.
In the majority of cases, the applicant requests the suspension of an expulsion or an extradition. The Court grants such requests for an interim measure only on an exceptional basis, when the applicant would otherwise face a real risk of serious and irreversible harm. Such measures are then indicated to the respondent Government. However, it is also possible for the Court to indicate measures under Rule 39 to applicants (see, for example, the judgment in Ilaşcu and Others v. Moldova and Russia (§ 11), where the Court asked the applicant to stop a hunger-strike).
So I tend to think that interim measures are not involved. Also, I would think that interim measures are announced by the ECHR, and not publicly stated as requested by one's lawyer, but that is my guess on the protocol and procedure. I have been wrong before.

My thought is that in her recent (rumored) appeal supplement, Amanda and her lawyers pointed out that she had lodged a complaint with the ECHR about the violation of her human rights by Italy with regards to the simple calunnia conviction. Since ECHR case-law is overwhelmingly in favor of Italy being found in violation (IMO, and I've a read a fair amount of ECHR case-law), Amanda and her lawyers may have suggested that the CSC delay any final decision until the ECHR acts. This act might be the communication of the case to Italy or it might be the judgment by ECHR. Such a suspension, especially until a judgment by ECHR, would lessen harm to the defendants, and certainly to Raffaele, who would probably be imprisoned if the conviction were finalized, and also to the reputation of Italy when it otherwise would be found to be in violation of multiple human rights protections of the Convention. But again, this is guessing on my part.

If the suggestion on suspension of the case to await ECHR action was in the appeal supplement, I assume that the civil lawyers and the prosecutor learned of it when they received their copies of the appeal supplement document.

If someone else has ideas or knowledge they are free to contribute, I would welcome learning more about this development.
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:34 PM   #550
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by griffinmill View Post
The Daily Mail reads pretty clear to me. DV is petitioning Cassazione to delay their ruling until the ECHR rules on the calunnia. Not too likely Cassazione cares, but it's worth a try, and of course it sounds good in the press.

That said, who knows how accurate the Daily Mail is in their reporting.
I may be wrong, but the reason why I don't think this is so is because the response is obvious even if Cassation understands the significance of an ECHR ruling - There is no clear timescale for the ECHR to consider the case. It could be years. We're not waiting that long to issue a decision, which has been on our calendar for a year.

Furthermore, they could have petitioned Cassation weeks or months ago with the argument, but haven't done so.

I think they've gone to the ECHR...but I may be wrong.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:34 PM   #551
Diocletus
Illuminator
 
Diocletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,969
Originally Posted by griffinmill View Post
What about Fabiani's statement (that if the ECHR rules in favor of Knox, it would mean nothing) is obtuse?

The ECHR rarely has any impact on sentences. They largely slap wrists and impose fines.

All Fabiani is doing is contextualizing the actual power of the ECHR. Which has no jurisdiction whatsoever over any of its member countries' court proceedings.
If the echr rules that Italy committed an HR violation, then Knox will never be extradited. Also, if an Art 6 violation is found, then restitutio integrum will be ordered, which as a practical matter means that Italy will vacate the Calunnia conviction.
__________________
Forza Italia
Diocletus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:39 PM   #552
Strozzi
Graduate Poster
 
Strozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Posts: 1,864
Originally Posted by Kaosium View Post
Don't read too much into a Daily Mail article, especially regarding this case. The ECHR isn't that kind of court, it requires a conviction to be finalized before they'll even consider it, it has no power to do anything like what one possible reading of that suggests.

More likely CDV is just subtly reminding them that the Grown Ups will eventually be sitting in judgement of their kangaroo court.
I agree. This is the defense attorney's way of telling the court that their ruling, if adverse to his client, will surely be reviewed and overturned by the ECHR. (In other words, ECHR is watching and Court of Cassation better sober up.) They know earlier trials have violated Art. 6 which concerns the right of a defendant to a fair trial.

Last edited by Strozzi; 25th March 2015 at 06:42 PM.
Strozzi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:40 PM   #553
Kauffer
Master Poster
 
Kauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by griffinmill View Post
What about Fabiani's statement (that if the ECHR rules in favor of Knox, it would mean nothing) is obtuse?

The ECHR rarely has any impact on sentences. They largely slap wrists and impose fines.

All Fabiani is doing is contextualizing the actual power of the ECHR. Which has no jurisdiction whatsoever over any of its member countries' court proceedings.
You're wrong - Article 6 violations lead to convictions being set aside - nobody stays in prison with that judgement. See Dorigo V Italy.

A later decision confirmed that no conviction or sentence is safe when an art 6 violation judgement is handed down.

In this situation, the calunnia case and the murder case share evidence. A judgement in favour of Ms Knox over calunnia will effectively end the murder case.
Kauffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:41 PM   #554
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,382
Originally Posted by griffinmill View Post
The Daily Mail reads pretty clear to me. DV is petitioning Cassazione to delay their ruling until the ECHR rules on the calunnia. Not too likely Cassazione cares, but it's worth a try, and of course it sounds good in the press.

That said, who knows how accurate the Daily Mail is in their reporting.
Wow, we agree on something. While I could imagine the court finding some reason to delay their decision, their is no way that they would state that this was their reason even if it was. That would be announcing to the world that their decisions were irrelevant. This would be giving up their own sovereignty....something that they would never do publicly. They would want to maintain at least the illusion to the Italian public that they are not being ruled from Strasbourg.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:42 PM   #555
Diocletus
Illuminator
 
Diocletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,969
Originally Posted by Strozzi View Post
I agree. This is the defense attorney's way of telling the court that their ruling, if adverse to his client, will surely be reviewed and overturned by the ECHR. (In other words, ECHR is watching and Court of Cessation better sober up.) They know earlier trials have violated Art. 6 which concerns the right of a defendant to a fair trial.
I agree with this, if the application is to cassation.
__________________
Forza Italia
Diocletus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:44 PM   #556
Diocletus
Illuminator
 
Diocletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,969
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
They would want to maintain at least the illusion to the Italian public that they are not being ruled from Strasbourg.
But they signed a treaty!
__________________
Forza Italia
Diocletus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:50 PM   #557
Numbers
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,595
Originally Posted by Kauffer View Post
Actually, that's quite interesting. I think it would depend to what extent the violation of rights was remedied by Italy following an acquittal - what there would be left to refer to the court. Numbers will know more about this than me. But if he gets damages, apology, obviously no criminal record etc, then arguably there is nothing much left to complain about. Obviously, there is nothing preventing an application being made in any circumstances, but the point of applications is to get violations remedied.
1. Here's the DM text (others may have already posted it):

...It has now been revealed Knox's lawyers have turned to the European Court of Human Rights in a last ditch attempt to stop the final ratification of her conviction for murder.

They have asked for the case to be suspended, pending the acceptance of her appeal to the European Court against a conviction for slander.

2. Generally, if someone is finally acquitted, there is no case left for the ECHR. However, there can be a case under some circumstances:
a) The person acquitted was not compensated or not fully compensated;
b) The trial was not conducted in a timely manner by the State;
c) The person had been abused, or kept under inhuman or degrading conditions, and this had not been redressed;
d) Other stuff I don't know about.
Numbers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:50 PM   #558
griffinmill
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by Diocletus View Post
If the echr rules that Italy committed an HR violation, then Knox will never be extradited. Also, if an Art 6 violation is found, then restitutio integrum will be ordered, which as a practical matter means that Italy will vacate the Calunnia conviction.
These are your hopeful assumptions. The reality is the ECHR frequently rules against countries, applies fines, and the sentences of the victimized parties don't change.

Additionally, the ECHR certainly has nothing to do with extradition. You're merely assuming that political pressure will help her cause. I very much doubt that.
griffinmill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:51 PM   #559
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,382
Originally Posted by Strozzi View Post
I agree. This is the defense attorney's way of telling the court that their ruling, if adverse to his client, will surely be reviewed and overturned by the ECHR. (In other words, ECHR is watching and Court of Cassation better sober up.) They know earlier trials have violated Art. 6 which concerns the right of a defendant to a fair trial.
I also think that this maybe CDV's reasoning. Basically a shot across the judicial bow sorta No judge likes the idea that their decisions will be overruled.. so why put themselves in a position where that would probably happen?
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th March 2015, 06:55 PM   #560
griffinmill
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by Kauffer View Post
You're wrong - Article 6 violations lead to convictions being set aside - nobody stays in prison with that judgement. See Dorigo V Italy.

A later decision confirmed that no conviction or sentence is safe when an art 6 violation judgement is handed down.

In this situation, the calunnia case and the murder case share evidence. A judgement in favour of Ms Knox over calunnia will effectively end the murder case.
The ECHR has no jurisdiction over Italy. If Italy decided to reverse their decision in the case you mention, it was their own decision borne out of a legal process that was already playing out.
griffinmill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.