ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th November 2015, 08:25 AM   #81
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by steve s View Post
What exactly would he bomb? They don't have air force bases or aircraft carriers. He'd have to carpet bomb entire towns to get rid of them.

Steve S
I think the latter is exactly what he means.

We could win the war, the question has always been how far are we prepared to go to do so, and how much collateral damage are we prepared to countenance in the process.
Old 14th November 2015, 11:24 AM   #82
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What gets to me how many support Trump simply because he is "Anti Establishment".
To support somebody mainly because he is "Anti Establishment" regardless of his policies or what kind of guy he is (and ,yes, that is important in a president) is an act of supreme stupidity. Sort of burning down a house to get rid of mice.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2015, 11:48 AM   #83
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump's campaign will not end with a bang, but with a whimper. He will just slide downward as another candidate takes the lead. Pundits will analyze the hell out of it so they can say "Here! Here is the thing that did him in" but it will merely be post hoc fallacy.

Of course I could be wrong about how it ends, but it will end.
Old 14th November 2015, 01:43 PM   #84
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump uses the Paris attacks as a pro-gun advertisement.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2015, 04:58 PM   #85
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Trump's campaign will not end with a bang, but with a whimper. He will just slide downward as another candidate takes the lead. Pundits will analyze the hell out of it so they can say "Here! Here is the thing that did him in" but it will merely be post hoc fallacy.

Of course I could be wrong about how it ends, but it will end.
Nah. His campaign for the nomination will end with his nomination. His campaign for the presidency will end with his election as POTUS. It's his time. The stars are aligned. Just an expression, lest someone interpret that as meaning that I believe in astrology.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2015, 05:52 PM   #86
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
Nah. His campaign for the nomination will end with his nomination. His campaign for the presidency will end with his election as POTUS. It's his time. The stars are aligned. Just an expression, lest someone interpret that as meaning that I believe in astrology.
You sound serious.
Have you started thinking about avatars for me if you win the bet?
Old 14th November 2015, 05:55 PM   #87
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Trumps recent tirades are making me wonder if he's mentally stable.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2015, 08:04 PM   #88
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Mentally stable or not, I wouldn't trust him in the white house. POTUS is among the most demanding jobs and requires a multitude of decisions and is imaginably a huge load of stress both from the pressures of the job and the constant thick skin required to get through constant criticisms of policy or an expectation to do things right. Trump has usually failed at the point of keeping a thick skin and he's mainly pulling at populist rhetoric without the slightest registering of how reality would play out. But whereas I criticized Obama on this in 2008 because it was largely idealist policy he likely knew wouldn't get passed so easily, Trump just plain doesn't seem to know what he's doing... or rather I think it difficult to understand if he'd actually do it given his penchant to change positions on a dime.

Irrespective of what it is, his argument boils simply down to rally the populist, anti-establishment far-right. I don't mind being anti-establishment, but his populist rhetoric leaves much to be skeptical about and he has a foreign policy lean to match.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 14th November 2015 at 08:08 PM.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2015, 08:23 PM   #89
Doghouse Reilly

You sound serious.
Have you started thinking about avatars for me if you win the bet?
Yeah, I have done a bit of counting my chickens before they're hatched in that regard.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2015, 12:56 AM   #90
Jrrarglblarg

Yeah, I have done a bit of counting my chickens before they're hatched in that regard.
I hope you pick Trump With A Topknot.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2015, 04:43 AM   #91
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

10/27
Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Slowly, slowly the raison d'être of this thread picks up steam.
11/14
And meanwhile, Trump is polling at 42%.

Old 15th November 2015, 05:43 AM   #92
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
I hope you pick Trump With A Topknot.
At first I thought that that avatar would be embarrassing, but given that I view Trump as a clown, I think I would be happy with it.

But it is not that much of an issue for me, because I am going to win.

Last edited by Ladewig; 15th November 2015 at 05:55 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2015, 07:44 PM   #93
Doghouse Reilly

At first I thought that that avatar would be embarrassing, but given that I view Trump as a clown, I think I would be happy with it.

Out of curiosity, who do you think has a good chance of winning the nomination? Rubio? Cruz? And why do you think that this person will surge past Trump?
Old 15th November 2015, 08:10 PM   #94
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Mentally stable or not, I wouldn't trust him in the white house. POTUS is among the most demanding jobs and requires a multitude of decisions and is imaginably a huge load of stress both from the pressures of the job and the constant thick skin required to get through constant criticisms of policy or an expectation to do things right. Trump has usually failed at the point of keeping a thick skin and he's mainly pulling at populist rhetoric without the slightest registering of how reality would play out. But whereas I criticized Obama on this in 2008 because it was largely idealist policy he likely knew wouldn't get passed so easily, Trump just plain doesn't seem to know what he's doing... or rather I think it difficult to understand if he'd actually do it given his penchant to change positions on a dime.

Irrespective of what it is, his argument boils simply down to rally the populist, anti-establishment far-right. I don't mind being anti-establishment, but his populist rhetoric leaves much to be skeptical about and he has a foreign policy lean to match.
There are some people who are so violently anti establishment that they will support ANYBODY who is Anti Establishement. Extremely dangerous ,in my opinion.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2015, 08:31 PM   #95
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
10/27
11/14
Curious if you think the GOP public sees Trump as a good bet against the ISIS threat? Do many people think blowing up oil fields is a viable tactic?
Old 15th November 2015, 08:36 PM   #96
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Probably Cruz (who I think can beat Clinton). As Carson and the others drop out, their points will end up with someone like Cruz. Also as we get closer to Iowa, more people will realize that when it comes to politics, Trump is all hat and no cattle.
Old 15th November 2015, 09:06 PM   #97
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Curious if you think the GOP public sees Trump as a good bet against the ISIS threat? Do many people think blowing up oil fields is a viable tactic?
I know you weren't asking me, but yes, they view Trump favorably in this regard because of his outspoken resolve to keep Syrians out of the country. Especially after the Paris attacks, this will set him apart from all other candidates. Whether or not blowing up oil fields is a viable tactic is irrelevant to his support if the public has the impression that Trump will do the most to keep them safe at home. Cynical as it may sound, Trump is going to see a big jump in support as a result of the Paris attacks.

Last edited by Doghouse Reilly; 15th November 2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 15th November 2015, 09:10 PM   #98
Doghouse Reilly

Probably Cruz (who I think can beat Clinton). As Carson and the others drop out, their points will end up with someone like Cruz. Also as we get closer to Iowa, more people will realize that when it comes to politics, Trump is all hat and no cattle.
See, I don't understand why you're so sure that most of Carson's support won't go to Trump. I think it will. And that's assuming that he even drops out of the race. Have you considered the possibility that nobody drops out? That would mean that Trump wins, if things stayed as they are currently.
Old 15th November 2015, 10:54 PM   #99
Jrrarglblarg

A lot of months to go, kids. Hang on to your Popsicles, we're headed toward the bumpy bit.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2015, 11:21 PM   #100
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

See, I don't understand why you're so sure that most of Carson's support won't go to Trump. I think it will. And that's assuming that he even drops out of the race. Have you considered the possibility that nobody drops out? That would mean that Trump wins, if things stayed as they are currently.
And that same difference of opinion is why horse racing exists.

It is a long way until Super Tuesday (March 1). Almost anything could happen.
Old 16th November 2015, 10:40 AM   #101
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What is scarists about our Trump worshipper here is that he seemingly approves fully of Trump's bigotry.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th November 2015, 03:45 PM   #102
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now Trump is talking about closing Mosques,and his new campaign advisor, a recycled Tea Party activists, called Islam Evil.
Maybe Trump has decided that Muslims are more politically lucrative to Hate then Hispanics.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 16th November 2015, 03:51 PM   #103
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now Trump is talking about closing Mosques,and his new campaign advisor, a recycled Tea Party activists, called Islam Evil.
Maybe Trump has decided that Muslims are more politically lucrative to Hate then Hispanics.
I predict he will suggest we close our border with Islam.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2015, 03:57 PM   #104
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I predict he will suggest we close our border with Islam.
and he'll make the Islamians pay for it!
Old 16th November 2015, 07:24 PM   #105
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's racism otherism toward Mexicans, Chinese, and Muslims will play well to the R base. In the general, not as much, but still far too much.

BTW, and OT, did Ben Carson ever come up with the big reveal of why he KNOWS China has troops in Syria, or did Paris save his bacon?
Old 17th November 2015, 01:16 PM   #106
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
Trumps recent tirades are making me wonder if he's mentally stable.
His 90 Minute rant in Iowa last week certainly reminded me of a certain guy in Germany in the 20 and 30's who wore a little mustache..

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th November 2015, 01:18 PM   #107
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump's racism otherism toward Mexicans, Chinese, and Muslims will play well to the R base. In the general, not as much, but still far too much.

BTW, and OT, did Ben Carson ever come up with the big reveal of why he KNOWS China has troops in Syria, or did Paris save his bacon?
Toward a protion of the Republican Base. The Business Base of the GOP hates Trump,because they are businessmen,and know how disasterous economically Trump's hatred of the Chinese and Muslims would be.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th November 2015, 02:25 PM   #108
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

His 90 Minute rant in Iowa last week certainly reminded me of a certain guy in Germany in the 20 and 30's who wore a little mustache..
It is wrong to compare Trump to Hitler because Hitler actually served in the military.

All kidding aside, I skipped around the speech and I Did not see anything Hitlerish (Hitleresque ?)at all. Can you be more specific as to why the speech reminded you of Hitler.
Old 17th November 2015, 02:32 PM   #109
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Not as good. I vote Castro instead.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2015, 03:16 PM   #110
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Not as good. I vote Castro instead.
Your're right. Hitler never would have had all the pauses and floundering around that that Trump did.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th November 2015, 04:15 PM   #111
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It is wrong to compare Trump to Hitler because Hitler actually served in the military.

All kidding aside, I skipped around the speech and I Did not see anything Hitlerish (Hitleresque ?)at all. Can you be more specific as to why the speech reminded you of Hitler.
To me, it's the blaming of all the country's problems on "others" -- Mexicans, immigrants in general, China, etc. Hitler rode that horse right to the top of the heap.
Old 17th November 2015, 06:23 PM   #112
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

And Trump went to a military boarding school which is essentially the same thing.
Old 17th November 2015, 07:29 PM   #113
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Hugo Chavez is a close match to his style if you replace American Imperialism with immigration as the core issue. Hitler's regime wiped out 6 million Jews in concentration camps and gas chambers. Comparing Trump to that extreme is therefore a stretch
Old 18th November 2015, 04:05 AM   #114
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Hugo Chavez is a close match to his style if you replace American Imperialism with immigration as the core issue. Hitler's regime wiped out 6 million Jews in concentration camps and gas chambers. Comparing Trump to that extreme is therefore a stretch
Actually, some 20% were just executed on the spot.
Old 18th November 2015, 05:50 AM   #115
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Godwin for President!
Old 18th November 2015, 06:02 AM   #116
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
And Trump went to a military boarding school which is essentially the same thing.
Not really. I seem to recall a World War going on.

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Godwin for President!
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2015, 06:59 AM   #117
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Not really.
The answer was sarcasm based on a line in Trump's latest book.
His experience at military school led him to say that he "always felt like [he] was in the military." He also asserted that hehad "dealt with those people" in school.
Old 18th November 2015, 09:05 AM   #118
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
To get back to the topic, I think the Trump wave has clearly crested. He is saying more and more ridiculous things because attention is like oxygen to his campaign, even if it's negative attention. I think he'll stay in until the convention, since he isn't really limited financially, and try to leverage his remaining support into a Cabinet position or something. Actually, I think that's the plan for a lot of these candidates. That's why you don't see many of them dropping out no matter how bad their poll numbers are. If someone is twenty delegates short of a majority, and you have twenty-five... surely no one believes that horses wouldn't be traded in such a situation.
Old 18th November 2015, 10:08 AM   #119
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
... I think he'll stay in until the convention, since he isn't really limited financially, and try to leverage his remaining support into a Cabinet position or something.
Maybe "or something" but not a cabinet position. His ego is much too HUGE to accept a subordinate position.
Old 18th November 2015, 01:13 PM   #120
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
To get back to the topic, I think the Trump wave has clearly crested.
LOL. It never stops. How has the "Trump wave clearly crested"? The last 2 major polls have all shown him with major increases.

I swear, Trump could be being sworn into office as POTUS and some of you would still be saying that he's "clearly" finished.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics