ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th November 2015, 01:25 PM   #121
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
LOL. It never stops. How has the "Trump wave clearly crested"? The last 2 major polls have all shown him with major increases.

I swear, Trump could be being sworn into office as POTUS and some of you would still be saying that he's "clearly" finished.
You know what would have been helpful ? Links to said polls...

Here is some recent polling info I found:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...apses-in-colo/

Two new polls will offer fodder for either side of the "Trump can't do it" argument. The one in New Hampshire, by WBUR, has him up a few points over the past few weeks in that important early primary state. But one from Colorado, by Quinnipiac University, has him in third — a position that he hasn't been in for quite some time.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2015, 01:33 PM   #122
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Trumps been up and down but based on the rcp polls ive checked the average of the trend is downwards... atleast as of Sunday when i lookes
Old 18th November 2015, 01:41 PM   #123
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

LOL. It never stops. How has the "Trump wave clearly crested"? The last 2 major polls have all shown him with major increases.

I swear, Trump could be being sworn into office as POTUS and some of you would still be saying that he's "clearly" finished.
Guess it depends on if you think the whole GOP has gone crazy or just the 25% that say they support Trump.

I don't see the major increases you are referring to. According to RCP's poll averages, Trump has been around 25% for months.

Carson's crazy will catch up to him soon, he gets loonier every day. I imagine his followers will start to drift off toward someone other than Trump, either Cruz or? After that, Trump won't look like the winner he pretends to be.

We'll see. But I'm still in the 'GOP isn't that crazy yet' camp.
Old 18th November 2015, 01:46 PM   #124
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
To get back to the topic, I think the Trump wave has clearly crested. He is saying more and more ridiculous things because attention is like oxygen to his campaign, even if it's negative attention. I think he'll stay in until the convention, since he isn't really limited financially, and try to leverage his remaining support into a Cabinet position or something. Actually, I think that's the plan for a lot of these candidates. That's why you don't see many of them dropping out no matter how bad their poll numbers are. If someone is twenty delegates short of a majority, and you have twenty-five... surely no one believes that horses wouldn't be traded in such a situation.
They say that that was how it was done back-in-the-day, but does that work well now? If Carson dropped out and told his followers to support JEB, would all of them follow that request? Would 80%? I don't know the exact answers but I think it might be less than 80%.
Old 18th November 2015, 01:50 PM   #125
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Trump doubled down today on his "I will close the Mosques" statement Monday.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2015, 01:54 PM   #126
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
They say that that was how it was done back-in-the-day, but does that work well now? If Carson dropped out and told his followers to support JEB, would all of them follow that request? Would 80%? I don't know the exact answers but I think it might be less than 80%.
I don't know how well it would work now, with "superdelegates" and all the rules changes that have occurred over the last 40 years or so. There hasn't been a convention that wasn't settled on the first ballot for many and many a year, but with the GOP field as fractured as it is I have a hard time believing that any candidate will muster a first-ballot majority. So there's certainly a theoretical possibility of horse-trading, but how it would play out in practice is anyone's guess.

And let us not forget that the Republican candidates are, basically, competing for the right to get waxed by Hillary in the general.
Old 18th November 2015, 05:20 PM   #127
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm all in favor of Trump getting the nomination. Because those that are supporting him now will be pretty much the only ones supporting him in the general election.
Old 19th November 2015, 11:53 AM   #128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is now "Open" to a a database for monitoring American Muslims.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2015, 12:08 PM   #129
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Definitely passing peak Trump. There are no words that can adequately describe this lunacy:

[Trump] also remained open toward registering U.S. Muslims in a database or giving them special identification identifying their faith, the news outlet added.
Old 19th November 2015, 12:43 PM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Beat ya to it.

Trump seems to have never heard of the First Amendment.

And I would LOVE to be a Fly On The Wall next time Donald tries to open a Hotel in a Muslim country.Why do I think he will be not exactly get a warm reception.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th November 2015, 01:08 PM   #131
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't understand why you think this is definitely the peak for Trump. You find the proposed idea repugnant, I find the proposed idea repugnant, and everyone on this board finds the proposed idea repugnant. But we are not representative of Trump's fan base. It is the crazy stuff that that makes him so popular among that crowd - he says things that appeal to the lowest common denominator. These things don't have to be workable or Constitutional, they just have to appeal to a bunch of idiots.
Old 19th November 2015, 01:15 PM   #132
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
His 90 Minute rant in Iowa last week certainly reminded me of a certain guy in Germany in the 20 and 30's who wore a little mustache..
It is wrong to compare Trump to Hitler because Hitler actually served in the military.

All kidding aside, I skipped around the speech and I Did not see anything Hitlerish (Hitleresque ?)at all. Can you be more specific as to why the speech reminded you of Hitler.
Well, Dudalb, it looks like you were right and I was wrong. A special database and IDs so we can easily identify them. The only thing missing was a suggestion that they sew a star and crescent on their clothing so we can identify them in public.

ETA
I suppose that keeping track of all the untermensch and issuing special travel documents if they want to cross state lines will require a new branch at Homeland Security. We could give them a name like, I don't know, maybe the Security Squadron.

Last edited by Ladewig; 19th November 2015 at 01:23 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2015, 03:20 PM   #133
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand why you think this is definitely the peak for Trump. You find the proposed idea repugnant, I find the proposed idea repugnant, and everyone on this board finds the proposed idea repugnant. But we are not representative of Trump's fan base. It is the crazy stuff that that makes him so popular among that crowd - he says things that appeal to the lowest common denominator. These things don't have to be workable or Constitutional, they just have to appeal to a bunch of idiots.
Indeed. We may even see his numbers go up.
Old 19th November 2015, 03:50 PM   #134
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Indeed. We may even see his numbers go up.
By a couple of points.
What is find sad is that NONE of his GOP opponents dares to call him out over this. The party of Lincoln has indeed fallen on sad days.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th November 2015, 04:13 PM   #135
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Trump is now "Open" to a a database for monitoring American Muslims.
But how would ordinary Americans know who the Muslims are that don't have access to this database? Maybe we could sew a symbol on the sleeves of their clothing or something.

ETA: didn't see Ladewig which made the same point

Last edited by portlandatheist; 19th November 2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: ETA:
portlandatheist is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2015, 05:35 PM   #136
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hey,Donald announced he would "not rule out" special ID for Muslims and all Muslim homes being subject to search without any warrant.
Next week he will announce that he would "Not rule out" setting aside certain areas for Muslim to live in and require them to live there.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:54 PM   #137
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Hey,Donald announced he would "not rule out" special ID for Muslims and all Muslim homes being subject to search without any warrant.
Next week he will announce that he would "Not rule out" setting aside certain areas for Muslim to live in and require them to live there.
Maybe he'll have Muslims where yellow stars. I feel that's been done before, though.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2015, 09:59 PM   #138
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Donald Trump is Done.

Yeah, the title is a bit misleading, but I couldn't resist.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/1...ng-to-the-u-s/

Quote:
More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S.
Net Loss of 140,000 from 2009 to 2014; Family Reunification Top Reason for Return

Last edited by Manopolus; 19th November 2015 at 10:02 PM.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2015, 10:12 PM   #139
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

That fact doesn't matter to racists, which is Donald's base. Besides, he's moved onto a different race to pick on.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2015, 10:40 PM   #140
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That fact doesn't matter to racists, which is Donald's base. Besides, he's moved onto a different race to pick on.
Might be more accurate to say "a different minority. "
One never knows if the next target will be based on race, ethnicity, national origin, or religion.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:57 PM   #141
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Ignoring relevant indisputable facts is probably what caused "genius billionaire" Trump to go bankrupt four times.

If he got to be president, was someone going to supervise him at all times in case he did a stupid?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2015, 11:02 PM   #142
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

I'll have to admit that the level of his appeal is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm sort of surrounded by anti-immigrant sentiments and a lot of stupid, but his poll numbers seem way too high for even where I'm at, never mind the rest of the country.

It just doesn't make much sense to me. I didn't realize we were this far gone. Are the Republicans mass trolling us or something?

Anyway, I figured the above bit of information could be a wake-up call for anyone in that demographic, but maybe not.

Last edited by Manopolus; 19th November 2015 at 11:06 PM.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2015, 12:33 AM   #143
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Manopolus View Post

I'm sure, if ever presented with this information, he'll find a way to take credit for it.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2015, 03:06 AM   #144
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
I'm sure, if ever presented with this information, he'll find a way to take credit for it.
That was my first instinct, too. "Sure. They could see I was winning (before I even decided to run) and with my no-nonsense skill-set I would've negotiated them straight out the door."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2015, 05:18 AM   #145
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
That was my first instinct, too. "Sure. They could see I was winning (before I even decided to run) and with my no-nonsense skill-set I would've negotiated them straight out the door."
You two were too quick for me. I was going to say, he'll just take credit for it as well. Speaking as a right wing loon, I do wish he'd hurry up and implode too.
Old 20th November 2015, 07:35 AM   #146
JoeB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Manopolus View Post
I'll have to admit that the level of his appeal is a bit of a mystery to me. I'm sort of surrounded by anti-immigrant sentiments and a lot of stupid, but his poll numbers seem way too high for even where I'm at, never mind the rest of the country.

It just doesn't make much sense to me. I didn't realize we were this far gone. Are the Republicans mass trolling us or something?

Anyway, I figured the above bit of information could be a wake-up call for anyone in that demographic, but maybe not.
20% sounds like a lot but it's 20% of likely republican primary voters, which is like 15% of people (given R and likely are ~1/3). So those polling for Trump would be very very roughly 3% of the people you see day to day.
Old 20th November 2015, 10:26 AM   #147
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He isn't done, just half-baked.

(Deja Vu? Yes, I did indeed make the same joke in the Hillary thread.)
Old 20th November 2015, 11:21 AM   #148
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he'll have Muslims where yellow stars. I feel that's been done before, though.
Yellow crescents. And yellow tacos for Mexicans.
Old 20th November 2015, 11:23 AM   #149
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Because his crazy is becoming more defined.

Mind you, the base following him will eat it up. But there are enough sensible Republicans to know you can't win the general election alienating so many people.
Old 20th November 2015, 11:32 AM   #150
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, Dudalb, it looks like you were right and I was wrong. A special database and IDs so we can easily identify them. The only thing missing was a suggestion that they sew a star and crescent on their clothing so we can identify them in public.

ETA
I suppose that keeping track of all the untermensch and issuing special travel documents if they want to cross state lines will require a new branch at Homeland Security. We could give them a name like, I don't know, maybe the Security Squadron.
And I HATE you for coming up with the Secruity Squadron bit instead of me,World War 2 era buff that I am.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st November 2015, 03:36 AM   #151
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

And I HATE you for coming up with the Secruity Squadron bit instead of me,World War 2 era buff that I am.
At the very least, Donald's going to need a bunch of elite bodyguards to protect him while he speaks the truth to the masses.
Old 22nd November 2015, 02:10 AM   #152
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
At the very least, Donald's going to need a bunch of elite bodyguards to protect him while he speaks the truth to the masses.
He already has Secret Service protection. Pretty much the most elite team of bodyguards one could have.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2015, 03:07 AM   #153
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

He already has Secret Service protection. Pretty much the most elite team of bodyguards one could have.
I don't know, I've heard there are a few Mexicans and Muslims in there. What Donald needs is protection by men of real, all-American stock.
Old 22nd November 2015, 03:36 AM   #154
DarthFishy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
I don't know, I've heard there are a few Mexicans and Muslims in there. What Donald needs is protection by men of real, all-American stock.
I even have a suggestion for the color of their shirts (maybe a classy brown?)
Old 22nd November 2015, 03:42 AM   #155
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Hugo Chavez is a close match to his style if you replace American Imperialism with immigration as the core issue. Hitler's regime wiped out 6 million Jews in concentration camps and gas chambers. Comparing Trump to that extreme is therefore a stretch
At the time when Hitler was using Jews as scapegoats, to blame for Germany's economic and political woes c 1930, nobody knew what the future held. It is even possible that Hitler himself didn't then know that he was destined to commit these atrocities.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2015, 08:11 AM   #156
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Well, with his more recent comments I almost have to revise what I said earlier. I no longer care how he tries to double down... I have no room left to give him reasonable doubt about his qualifications... If I don't see a downward trend in his polling over the next few months then I'll be making a call on whether to abstain from a vote or choose one of the other parties. I cannot throw my support behind him or Carson at this point...
Old 22nd November 2015, 09:59 AM   #157
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Hitler's regime wiped out 6 million Jews in concentration camps and gas chambers. Comparing Trump to that extreme is therefore a stretch
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
At the time when Hitler was using Jews as scapegoats, to blame for Germany's economic and political woes c 1930, nobody knew what the future held. It is even possible that Hitler himself didn't then know that he was destined to commit these atrocities.

That was pretty much my thought, too: comparing "pre-fuhrer Hitler" to "WWII Hitler" would also be a stretch. The nice thing about history, though, is that we can learn from it; we don't have to let things play out over and over again.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2015, 01:47 PM   #158
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

His 90 Minute rant in Iowa last week certainly reminded me of a certain guy in Germany in the 20 and 30's who wore a little mustache..
Charlie Chaplin????? well, he was a clown!
Old 23rd November 2015, 01:49 PM   #159
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

but if Trump did it they'd be YUUUGGEEE stars! Yuuggeee! and classy!
Old 26th January 2016, 08:24 PM   #160
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Have we passed peak Trump yet?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics