ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st April 2016, 11:38 PM   #201
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
Looking at her Twitter account now, she seems to be supporting Trump as much as ever before.
Sometimes I think that Ann Coulter wants to be Trump's fourth wife.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 02:07 PM   #202
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Looking at her Twitter account now, she seems to be supporting Trump as much as ever before.
Well, she supported Hillary in 2008. So there's that.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:43 PM   #203
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Maya22 View Post
Sometimes I think that Ann Coulter wants to be Trump's fourth wife.
Coulter is no more than an attention whore, she wants to be back in the limelight (it helps her book sales and invitations to give her bigoted opinion). She'll latch on to anything outrageous that's getting attention.
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:45 PM   #204
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Well, she supported Hillary in 2008. So there's that.
Coulter? She supported McCain.
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:23 PM   #205
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Coulter? She supported McCain.
Google it
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:02 PM   #206
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Google it
early in 2008 she said she'd support Clinton over McCain because Clinton "was more conservative." She supported McCain over Obama.
Old 26th April 2016, 03:46 PM   #207
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Looks like peak Trump will be decided in November.
Old 27th April 2016, 04:51 AM   #208
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I thought he was finished. Goddam.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2016, 05:33 PM   #209
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 3rd May 2016, 09:37 PM   #210
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I thought he was finished. Goddam.
You obviously haven't been paying attention.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 04:32 PM   #211
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

In the most recent survey, 41 percent of likely voters supported Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, and 40 percent backed Trump, with 19 percent not decided on either yet, according to the online poll of 1,289 people conducted from Friday to Tuesday. The poll had a credibility interval of about 3 percentage points.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0Y21TN
Old 11th May 2016, 04:35 PM   #212
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Trump is still going to win the nomination. He's just riding the waves right now. Of course it was never going to be non-stop exciting giant-slaying action.
nailed it early, kudos
Old 11th May 2016, 04:43 PM   #213
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump is still going to win the nomination. He's just riding the waves right now. Of course it was never going to be non-stop exciting giant-slaying action.
Mitt Romney had several things to say about Trump last month.
"Think of Donald Trump's personal qualities, the bullying, the greed, the showing off, the misogyny, the absurd third-grade theatrics,"
Monsieur Reilly, could you comment on these allegations?
Does Donald have any of those traits?
Old 15th June 2016, 11:18 PM   #214
Maya22
Graduate Poster

I think that we might have passed Peak Trump.

Of course, I was wrong before.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2016, 11:41 PM   #215
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Maya22 View Post
I think that we might have passed Peak Trump.

Of course, I was wrong before.
I think it's too early to call that.

Yes Trump has had some reversals thanks to his ill-judged comments about the Mexican judge (and doubling and even tripling down on same) and maybe his "Have U.S. servicemen lined their own pockets from the money sloshing around Iraq ?" question (which may even be true - who knows ?), isn't the sort of thing a candidate should say about a group of American HeroesTM; but like as not they will be forgotten by swing voters in a few weeks.

Hillary has also benefited from being the presumptive Democratic Party candidate with a bump in her numbers but with large chunks of the press gunning for her and the FBI investigation into her email server dragging on, there's a risk that there'll be a negative story that will drag her down.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2016, 11:48 PM   #216
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
This poll suggests that the bloom is off the orange rose:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-unf...h-record-high/
Old 16th June 2016, 06:45 AM   #217
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Yes Trump has had some reversals thanks to his ill-judged comments about the Mexican judge (and doubling and even tripling down on same) and maybe his "Have U.S. servicemen lined their own pockets from the money sloshing around Iraq ?" question (which may even be true - who knows ?), isn't the sort of thing a candidate should say about a group of American HeroesTM; but like as not they will be forgotten by swing voters in a few weeks.
It looks like his comments in reaction to Orlando aren't being received well either.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 07:22 AM   #218
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Yes Trump has had some reversals thanks to his ill-judged comments about the Mexican judge (and doubling and even tripling down on same) and maybe his "Have U.S. servicemen lined their own pockets from the money sloshing around Iraq ?" question (which may even be true - who knows ?),
I pray to the FSM that one of those guys steps forward and sues Trump. I think Mr. Defamers-have-too-much-protection would be singing different tune. Although it might not hurt his numbers too much among people who support him; after all he is is famous for taking both sides of an argument in the same speech. And it would be impossible for reporters to get him to give a logical explanation for the hypocrisy because Trump cannot conceive of a situation where laws would apply to him as well as others.
Old 16th June 2016, 07:31 AM   #219
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I pray to the FSM that one of those guys steps forward and sues Trump. I think Mr. Defamers-have-too-much-protection would be singing different tune. Although it might not hurt his numbers too much among people who support him; after all he is is famous for taking both sides of an argument in the same speech. And it would be impossible for reporters to get him to give a logical explanation for the hypocrisy because Trump cannot conceive of a situation where laws would apply to him as well as others.
Yes, he was merely speculating, he never said it for certain, and even if he did he was just exercising his first amendment rights. OTOH if someone says something damaging about Trump - even if it is true - then it's an attack on Trump and he needs legal redress
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 07:52 AM   #220
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I've been thinking that as well. Barrack Obama would certainly seem to have grounds for a defamation suit, although he'd never actually do it.

Meanwhile, the Lying Media led by Failing CNN is reporting that Trump's disapproval rating is at 70% and that the R's are desperately seeking a way to nominate someone -- anyone -- else.

Trump, meanwhile, is living in La-La-Land. He thinks the few thousand morons that come to his rallies represent the will of the nation and believes his own propaganda about the media.
Old 16th June 2016, 07:56 AM   #221
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

New rule: All nouns must be proceeded by a negative adjective or adverb.

Ugly Sally went to the Evil Target to buy some Rotten bananas. Ugly Sally really loves Rotten bananas
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 08:07 AM   #222
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
New rule: All nouns must be proceeded by a negative adjective or adverb.

Ugly Sally went to the Evil Target to buy some Rotten bananas. Ugly Sally really loves Rotten bananas
Surely, no noun should be preceded by an adverb unless it modifies the verb (or adjective?) which precedes it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 08:16 AM   #223
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Surely, no noun should be preceded by an adverb unless it modifies the verb (or adjective?) which precedes it.
Yeah, my parts of speech is a little rusty. I was thinking of of verbs being adjectives by adding "ing", i..e "Lying Ted Cruz" and got confused.
Old 16th June 2016, 08:22 AM   #224
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
It looks like his comments in reaction to Orlando aren't being received well either.
Making it about him, and "vaguely" suggesting the President is in league with terrorists will do that.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 08:29 AM   #225
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Making it about him, and "vaguely" suggesting the President is in league with terrorists will do that.
And renewing a push for a plan that has already gotten him a lot of criticism from both sides.
Old 16th June 2016, 12:16 PM   #226
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hillary has also benefited from being the presumptive Democratic Party candidate with a bump in her numbers but with large chunks of the press gunning for her and the FBI investigation into her email server dragging on, there's a risk that there'll be a negative story that will drag her down.
I think the damage Trump did to himself this week is permanent.
I don't think American voters are quite as dumb as you think they are.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2016, 12:27 PM   #227
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the damage Trump did to himself this week is permanent.
I don't think American voters are quite as dumb as you think they are.
I guess time will tell......

I hope that the damage is permanent and that Hillary will romp to a crushing victory. I fear that Donald J Trump's setback are temporary and that Hillary has a long, tough fight in front of her.
Old 16th June 2016, 12:39 PM   #228
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

I guess time will tell......

I hope that the damage is permanent and that Hillary will romp to a crushing victory. I fear that Donald J Trump's setback are temporary and that Hillary has a long, tough fight in front of her.
I don't expect there to be that much to worry about because Trump keeps saying things that alienates people. The republicans hoped he do a presidential pivot after he secured the nomination, then he mouthed off about that judge. The republicans thought then thought they finally got him to act presidential, then he implied that Obama is a secret Muslim terrorist sympathizer.
Old 16th June 2016, 01:01 PM   #229
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

My mother's husband, who is so Republican I think he has a trunk, has said quite firmly he will not under any circumstances vote for Trump. He thinks Trump is a danger to this country and to the world. I was both shocked and not shocked. He may be a Republican but he's not stupid.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 01:13 PM   #230
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Has it happened yet?
Old 31st July 2016, 01:19 PM   #231
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Has it happened yet?
Possibly, picking a fight with the family of a soldier who died serving his country may do it. Not that it will influence his hard core supporters you understand but the undecided are getting a taste of the real Trump now. Oh and his bizarre lie about the NFL, and that's just in one day.
Old 31st July 2016, 01:29 PM   #232
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Has it happened yet?
Yes.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 12:58 PM   #233
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think the Khan scandle has finally caused the Teflon to come off of Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 01:11 PM   #234
seayakin
Graduate Poster

I think it's too early. However, it does show a strategy on how to keep Trump on the defensive. Hillary in her acceptance speech said he was too easy to bait as a reason why he would be bad in foreign policy. The democrats can keep baiting him like this getting him to say really stupid things to protect his fragile ego covered up by his narcissistic personality disorder.

The key is to generate attacks on his personality so he responds viciously to someone who is a "culturally protected class" like parents of servicemen killed in action.
Old 1st August 2016, 01:37 PM   #235
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Will it effect fundraising? My bet is it will help Clinton and put a dent in Trump's already pathetically weak fundraising.
Old 2nd August 2016, 02:36 AM   #236
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the Khan scandle has finally caused the Teflon to come off of Trump.
Too soon to tell.

Remember this ?

Quote:
On Friday, May 27, during his campaign rally in San Diego, Trump ripped into federal Judge Gonzalo Curiel who is presiding over one of the two class action lawsuits pending against Trump University and Trump, personally, for allegedly defrauding thousands of people out of money in connection with the now defunct school.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/31/op...on-obeidallah/

Most of the electorate don't unless prompted. I see Trump's current difficulties being forgotten in a month or so.
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:09 AM   #237
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Too soon to tell.

Remember this ?

Most of the electorate don't unless prompted. I see Trump's current difficulties being forgotten in a month or so.
Yeah, but he didn't piss off the VFW on that one. This one has the republican core base very publicly abandoning him. I think that is a significant difference.

And Trump understands neither nuance nor humility. He's not even going to try to mitigate this or walk it back. If the the democrats were clever, they'll get him in the position of getting into a fight with law enforcement officers and Trump will finish the job for them. He won't be able to help himself.
Old 2nd August 2016, 04:07 AM   #238
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good morning Upchurch.
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Yeah, but he didn't piss off the VFW on that one. This one has the republican core base very publicly abandoning him. I think that is a significant difference.

And Trump understands neither nuance nor humility. He's not even going to try to mitigate this or walk it back. If the the democrats were clever, they'll get him in the position of getting into a fight with law enforcement officers and Trump will finish the job for them. He won't be able to help himself.

In the past few days, without the Dems help, Donald has has been attacking local fire marshals for not letting him over crowd venues that his campaign has over sold tickets to. The fire marshals have an obligation to not allow places to exceed a certain amount of people at gatherings for safety reasons. Trump has been ripping into them at these public appearances claiming that it is a conspiracy against him and his followers. On one occasion he did this right after he and his secret service entourage were rescued by fire fighters from a stalled elevator.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/01/politi...ize/index.html
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 2nd August 2016 at 04:10 AM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 04:17 AM   #239
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I hope you're right but I think that once the dust has settled, the Republican Party core base will decide that they will vote, that they cannot vote for Hillary or a third party candidate and that they will vote the GOP ticket no matter how unappealing the Presidential candidate is.
Old 2nd August 2016, 04:30 AM   #240
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Too soon to tell.

Remember this ?

I think that stuck. Before then I'd hear people say that Trump was just pulling a fast one on the GOP; that he didn't really believe his own hateful rhetoric. I haven't heard that much since. He really alienated a lot of the undecided.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics