ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jack van impe

Old 24th March 2003, 03:33 PM   #1
billiefan2000
Muse

Jack Van Impe: The King of Compromise

http://www.raptureready.com/rap16.html

March 10 2003

Jack Van Impe: The King of Compromise

The bad thing about living in the end times is the danger of being influenced by the apostasy forming around us. We need to be very watchful that we don't get swept away by the flood of falsehood. During the past several years, I have noticed Dr. Jack Van Impe slowly drift away from sound doctrine.

Van Impe claims to be a "walking Bible" in his ability to memorize scripture, but unfortunately, he is a walking disaster area when it comes to common sense. Time and time again, he has made errors in judgment that defy the most basic rules of logic.

I was totally baffled by Jack when he tried to defend the teachings of Roman Catholicism . During one program, he gave the Catholic Church the Van Impe seal of approval simply based on his observation that the New Catholic Catechism cites 5,000 to 6,000 verses of scripture.

I have no personal grudges against Catholics. I disagree with how the Catechism interprets the Word of God. It didn't bother me when the Pope said in the early part of 2001 that Protestants were defective. The Holy Father is entitled to his views.

When confronted by a fellow minister over his praise of the Pope, Jack said his goal is to reach out to groups that are outside the evangelical circle. He is so wrong. You can't save the world by compromising the Gospel to accomplish this task.

I happened to watch Jack Van Impe this weekend to see what he was up to, and you should have already guess by now that I didn't find his latest message very pleasing. About 20 minutes into the March 1 program, Jack all but declared Islam to be equal to Christianity.

He first that said Islam teaches love and all the bad elements are from the sect of Wahhabism. This has to be one of the most ridiculous remarks I've ever heard someone make about the Islamic faith. Wahhabism is only dominant on the Arabian peninsula. Its influence is almost nonexistent in the rest of the Middle East. It is true that Osama bin Laden comes from Saudi Arabia and is Wahhabi himself; Wahhabi extremism and radical ideas of purity have obviously influenced him considerably. Dozens of other Islamic groups teach hate, and they have zero connection to Wahhabism.

Van Impe might as well be saying that Hitler's book Mein Kampf also teaches love. I don't see how Jack can look into the camera and say, "Let's believe God-either the Koran or the Word of God" when you have the Koran making inflammatory statements like:

"Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them" (Surah 9:30).

"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" (Surah 8:12).

"Do not take the Jews and Christians for friends" (Surah 5:51).

"They denied the truth and uttered a monstrous falsehood against Mary. They declared: 'We have put to death the Messiah, Jesus the son of Mary, the apostle of God.' They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but they thought they did...they did not slay him for certain. God lifted him up to him..." (Surah 4:157-158).

"The Day of Resurrection will not arrive until the Moslems make war against the Jews and kill them, and until a Jew hiding behind a rock and tree, and the rock and tree will say: 'Oh Moslem, oh servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!'" (Sahih Bukhari 004.52.176).

Because Jack Van Impe is a big player in Bible prophecy, I've received several angry emails from people who blindly defend him. I've come up with a reply that mutes most of my critics. I tell them to pick a point at which they would have to withdraw their support from this man once he crosses that line.

There is no such thing as stationary apostasy. If you don't think Jack's approval of Islam is bad enough now, wait until he declares Mohammed or Mary to be on equal footing with Jesus. For those folks that said Jack would never declare the Bible and Koran to be interchangeable-your wait is up.
billiefan2000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2003, 11:46 PM   #2
corplinx
JREF Kid

I can think of a few other things that he is King of: ******** and gullible christians.

I swear, Jack Van Impe has declared every cryptic "prophecy" in the bible fulfilled at least 100 times during the years his show has been on the air.

Every time the old USSR or Russia sneezed, he would declare "the bear will come down from the north, prophecy fulfilled right before your eyes".

The amazing thing to me is that this guy still has a show and people gullible enough to keep watching.
Old 25th March 2003, 11:14 AM   #3
billiefan2000
Muse

corplinx,you are right...

what is funny is since Jack Van Impe is a friend of Tim La Haye's some in the Christian Community are covering up for Jack's behavior because they think a attack on Van Impe is a attack on the LEFT BEHIND MOVEMENT.
billiefan2000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2003, 11:17 AM   #4
headscratcher4
Philosopher

The end is indeed near. Repent. Know that George Bush is the anti-Christ...scripture, prophesy and world events prove it!

-- Homer Simpson
headscratcher4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2003, 12:10 PM   #5
Michael Redman
Illuminator

The end must be near. Billiefan actually responded to a post in a thread he started!
Old 25th March 2003, 10:05 PM   #6
corplinx
JREF Kid

Re: corplinx,you are right...

Quote:
Originally posted by billiefan2000
what is funny is since Jack Van Impe is a friend of Tim La Haye's some in the Christian Community are covering up for Jack's behavior because they think a attack on Van Impe is a attack on the LEFT BEHIND MOVEMENT.
Evangelicals for the most part of have tried to ignore the outright flim-flam men in their midst. Since Jim Baker there hasn't been a single evangelical who was ousted from the movement by his peers. (well, there was robert tilton also i guess) The sad thing is these men were only expelled because of non-evangelicals finding out what they were up to.

Jack Van Impe, Benny Hinn, Kenneth Hagee, and others might not be polluting the airwaves and robbing the gullible if evangelicals would police themselves instead of waiting for the secular world to step in.
Old 26th March 2003, 11:12 AM   #7
billiefan2000
Muse

corplinx...

You forgot the Prophecy Club's Stan Johnson has been attacked by Evangelical Christians as have Irvin Baxter.

corplinx,I agree.

I blame the Left behind movement and some Pre trib Rapture groups for not holding their own accountable for their behavior.
Old 26th March 2003, 11:28 AM   #8
Ruby
Graduate Poster

Re: Jack Van Impe: The King of Compromise

I'm just curious about how much mousse and hairspray Impe has to use his hair.
Ruby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2003, 05:25 PM   #9
CSSMariner
Thinker

It is absolutely amazing to me that any sane person can watch much more than about one minute of JVI and Rexella (I think) without drilling a nine-millimeter round through the tube. The Gulf War was the beginning of the end for him and a lot of other similar micro-minded idiots. Funny, I'm still here.
Old 1st April 2003, 05:47 PM   #10
Ruby
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by CSSMariner
It is absolutely amazing to me that any sane person can watch much more than about one minute of JVI and Rexella (I think) without drilling a nine-millimeter round through the tube. The Gulf War was the beginning of the end for him and a lot of other similar micro-minded idiots. Funny, I'm still here.
I won't even watch them one second more than possible while channel surfing. It boggles my mind as well that anyone would watch such drivel.

Ruby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2003, 06:25 PM   #11
Ruby
Graduate Poster

I hope you enjoy living in Texas!!!

Old 1st April 2003, 07:05 PM   #12
CSSMariner
Thinker

What I meant was "The beginning of the end times for him." It was really a hoot looking at Pat Robertson's and JVI maps of Iraq and all the arrows they had coming in from Russia and the other countries of the Middle East and forecasting the end time were upon us, send in your money to us ASAP!! What a bunch of a** holes they were then and are to this day, preying on superstitious folks who don't know any better than to believe their line of hogwash.

Is it not interesting how close Pray and Prey are?
Old 1st April 2003, 07:10 PM   #13
CSSMariner
Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruby
I hope you enjoy living in Texas!!!

Thanks, I look forward to it. I lived there before and had a ball. I can hardly wait to have a horse. I will also be the official card and documentation-carrying representative for the JREF and will be setting up JREF West eventually. I will be the "JREF Cowboy" one must suppose.

I will be near Decatur where I am moving my business, www.deltamarineozone.com. When I build a new facility I plan to have it close enough to my home so I can commute on horseback.

Come see us some time. Where are you in Texas?
Old 1st April 2003, 07:28 PM   #14
Ruby
Graduate Poster

Quote:

Thanks, I look forward to it. I lived there before and had a ball. I can hardly wait to have a horse. I will also be the official card and documentation-carrying representative for the JREF and will be setting up JREF West eventually. I will be the "JREF Cowboy" one must suppose.

I will be near Decatur where I am moving my business, www.deltamarineozone.com. When I build a new facility I plan to have it close enough to my home so I can commute on horseback.

Come see us some time. Where are you in Texas?
That's so cool!

I live in the East Texas area.....near Tyler. I'm not originally from here, but have been here many years now.....enough to have a slight Texas drawl. I love East Texas...it's quite beautiful in the spring and summer months. My hubby is from the New England area and has been like a fish out of water here. He pretty much tolerates Texas.
Old 1st April 2003, 08:43 PM   #15
CSSMariner
Thinker

Diane, my bride for the past 37 years and I are both from the same small North Carolina town of Eden. Moved here ten years ago to start the business, and are now very, very tired of South Florida. Can't wait to get to Texas and back to four seasons. We have four here, it's just that they are all summer.

I have a lot of New England friends and associates as I do a lot of work with Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Cape Cod. I know just how out of water a New Englander is in the south.

I plan to do a lot for the JREF out there, and will be looking for members. It will be in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and we may even have a webcast like the Thursday nigh JREF show. Also I hope to have a critical thinker's and skeptic's conference at some time in the future. Unfortunately, or not, Diane is a born-again and will not have anything to do with the JREF or my skeptical friends, but that's OK as we give each other enough room for that difference.

Hey, I like that cowgirl with the rope, neat.
Old 1st April 2003, 09:21 PM   #16
Ruby
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Unfortunately, or not, Diane is a born-again and will not have anything to do with the JREF or my skeptical friends, but that's OK as we give each other enough room for that difference.

I am born again too......but don't tell anyone. I am also a born skeptic. This makes me quite schizophrenic.

In all honesty, I am a somewhat liberal Christian. My skepticism keeps me in some frustration, but it also keeps me safe!
Old 2nd April 2003, 07:18 PM   #17
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

Hey, whatever works...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruby

I am born again too......but don't tell anyone. I am also a born skeptic. This makes me quite schizophrenic.

In all honesty, I am a somewhat liberal Christian. My skepticism keeps me in some frustration, but it also keeps me safe!
I had to become a skeptic, simply because what I was hearing from "Christian" leaders wasn't making and damn sense. (Hey, it's okay to gossip and lie; as long as we're doing it in Jesus name, it's just "sharing.") Then add in the hypocrisy, that people like JVI and Benny Hinn were okay, because, well, "at least the message is getting out."

What message? Sounds like a load of crap to me, Benny Hinn declaring himself to be the one true word, send me money, I'll pray for you, yada, yada, yada... Dr. Walter Martin is probably doing somersaults in his grave by now. (And he was one of the few who could not only take on Hinn and the other frauds, but carry it with the weight of his intellect and training. And still hold the respect of people within and without the Church.)

Sorry to say, most people are getting short weight for their money from this. And they don't deserve any better. Not if they won't use their freaking BRAINS!!!!!!!!!
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2003, 09:24 PM   #18
CSSMariner
Thinker

I think I was born a skeptic; didn't ever see any possible truth to the Santa Clause bit, and I instinctively knew that the "Tooth Fairy" with the quarter was my mom as it was the only explanation that made any sense.

Being born into a small textile North Carolina town, especially in 1944, brought Baptist indoctrination along with it; however, I also failed to find anything in the propaganda espoused by my mom's sisters, and the hellfire and brimstone Bible-pounder Baptist preacher behind the pulpit never made any sense at all. As soon as I was old enough to declare that I was not going to that mess again, I was out of there. The only thing I missed was matching for pennies in the men's room when they were all up in the sanctuary listening to the rev.

However, I was pretty much to live and let live, and leave it alone as long at it left me alone. Then the missus had her epiphany in 1986, sometime after our son, and a little while before our daughter, and then all of them insisted that I go with them to the "Martinsville Christian Fellowship" in Martinsville, VA, about 19 miles from our home as it had to be a "Family" thing. I gave it a year before I either had to bail out, or become a terrorist of a form myself, and blow the damn building off of the hill on which it stood. After being up close and personal with the Pentecostal-leaning bunch of Christian fruitcakes, I eventually declared my atheism, and that was about 15 years ago. I have never looked back, except perhaps in derision and most certainly in amazement.

It all really came to a head for me during the Gulf War. The Iraqis would launch a missile and declare, "God was riding with this missile to kill the infidel." The Israelis declared "God would protect them from the missile." Americans declared that God was riding on the Patriot Missile and ensuring that it hit the Islamic missile, which was made by the "Godless" Russians in the first place. Religion and politics do indeed make for some very strange bedfellows.

Wow! One missile launch and three calls to that great hot line in the sky. I thought that surely I was not the only one to see the idiotic, schizophrenic, comedy of it all, but it surely seemed that way, and the beat goes on even more so today. It actually blows my mind to hear all the nation's leaders and all true believers calling on God to help us defeat the Islamic terrorists when they are calling on the same God to defeat us, while the originators of the concept sit on the side and allow us to do all the real fighting and our brave and probably misguided youngsters die.

That was when I decided to coin a new name for the Judeo-Christian-Islamic god by combining Yahweh, God, and Allah. I came up with YaGoAla. I said that the "True believers" could say "YaGoAla," then I could say "Yo Mama," and the fight could be on for real, and for some reason that at least made some sense.

Every side in this affair has God on their side, when if there were such a thing at the least, he, she, or it would be neutral. It is truly a twisted triangle with the fate of millions riding on BS and myths. It is all BS in the purest and simplest form, and a creation of the primitive mind of man, nothing more, nothing less.

But I am looking forward to Texas and the North Texas Skeptics, as well as the Fort Worth Humanists I will be the card and documentation-carrying representative of the JREF, and setting up the JREF West to carry on the great and necessary work of this incredible organization.

Randi RULES.
Old 3rd April 2003, 06:01 AM   #19
Ruby
Graduate Poster

Re: Hey, whatever works...

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadtoad
[b]

I had to become a skeptic, simply because what I was hearing from "Christian" leaders wasn't making and damn sense. (Hey, it's okay to gossip and lie; as long as we're doing it in Jesus name, it's just "sharing.")
Oh yes, there is plenty of gossip that goes around amongst some Christians. They can cut someone down to a nub and then profess that they *love* them.

Quote:
What message? Sounds like a load of crap to me, Benny Hinn declaring himself to be the one true word, send me money, I'll pray for you, yada, yada, yada...
I've had some major frustration and downright anger with Benny Hinn. I have been in some very heated debates concerning him with other Christians. Benny Hinn has set himself up on a pedestool. His healing services are just a bizarre side show. People *fall-out* or get *slain* at the wave of his hand....or so he thinks...and they think that too. It's all suggestion bordering on hypnosis or mesmerism. The money coming to him really makes me sick. Ahhhh!!!
Old 3rd April 2003, 06:23 AM   #20
Ruby
Graduate Poster

Quote:
[b]Being born into a small textile North Carolina town, especially in 1944, brought Baptist indoctrination along with it; however, I also failed to find anything in the propaganda espoused by my mom's sisters, and the hellfire and brimstone Bible-pounder Baptist preacher behind the pulpit never made any sense at all. As soon as I was old enough to declare that I was not going to that mess again, I was out of there.
I have never understood why Christians think that hellfire and brimstone preaching is going to bring in droves of people to their churches. It always drives people away...and those who do respond, do it out of fear. I have been under such teaching when I was a 1st United Pentecostal Christian. That is one of the most legalistic and judgmental church org.'s in the nation. I lived in constant fear that God was going to strike me down any second for thinking even a hint of a bad thought. I was tempted at one point to wear just a tiny bit of make-up....I did not put any on, and ended up repenting for it and feeling so much guilt. I had a beautiful dress that had sleeves about two inches above the elbow. My pastor preached about the evils of wearing dresses with sleeves above the elbow....goodness knows how sexy and tempting elbows are.......anyhow, I stopped wearing my dress...feeling very guilty.

Quote:
It all really came to a head for me during the Gulf War. The Iraqis would launch a missile and declare, "God was riding with this missile to kill the infidel." The Israelis declared "God would protect them from the missile." Americans declared that God was riding on the Patriot Missile and ensuring that it hit the Islamic missile, which was made by the "Godless" Russians in the first place. Religion and politics do indeed make for some very strange bedfellows.
Isn't it nuts!! What also makes me laugh is how in competitive sports each team might think God is on their side. Both teams are praying for God to let them win. Whoever wins, will thank God.
Old 3rd April 2003, 06:35 AM   #21
Gregor
Critical Thinker

CSS

Hey -

Let me be the first to welcome you to the DFW area. If the Rangers stop you in Shreveport, at the border, and ask you for the Southern Baptist password to enter Texas, it is "tithe."

I'd be interested in joining a JREF West outfit.
Old 3rd April 2003, 07:21 AM   #22
Ruby
Graduate Poster

Re: CSS

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregor
If the Rangers stop you in Shreveport, at the border, and ask you for the Southern Baptist password to enter Texas, it is "tithe."

LOL
Old 3rd April 2003, 02:14 PM   #23
CSSMariner
Thinker

Re: CSS

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregor
Hey -

Let me be the first to welcome you to the DFW area. If the Rangers stop you in Shreveport, at the border, and ask you for the Southern Baptist password to enter Texas, it is "tithe."

I'd be interested in joining a JREF West outfit.
G'day Gregor;

Or is that supposed to have a "y" on the end?

Ya' know, maybe I should trade in my Down Under "G'day" for Howdy. What do you think? I have so many Aussie and Kiwi friends I just picked it up over the past ten years, and it was reinforced after installing some of our ozone equipment on Greg Norman's new 230 foot motor yacht, "AUSSIE RULES.

Thanks for the welcome, and I am truly looking forward to becoming a Texan. Hell, I will probably go all cowboy and forget ever living in NC. I was in Texas at Fort Hood for over a year a generation ago. I was the President of the Sports Car Club, Fort Hood, and we ran a huge 4th US Army Championship Road Rally that took me over 360 miles in one day all over central Texas, and I had a ball. The Fort Hood club won by one point. I enjoyed everyone I met during that year and a half.

I also played in a C&W band most of the time, and my son and I are thinking about starting a Western Swing Band. He and his missus and their four children are moving to the NW of Plano, which is the reason Diane and I are moving there to be near grandchildren. Kevin and I will also be finishing the restoration on my ASC McLaren, and building an '85 Capri with a 512 CID big block Ford & C6 for Street Super Stock. After that maybe a 427 Cobra just for fun.

It will be my honor and pleasure to welcome you to the JREF West. I will need several interested and dedicated people to make it happen. Randi and the crew are all close friends of mine, and it is truly an honor for them to appoint me for the job. I would like to see satellite JREF locations all over the country.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Ken

Now back on the subject. Does not Benny Hinn have a location in Texas? I know he did, but he operates in California now I think. I want to take on those creeps on their own doorstep. Robert Tilton was there, and who else. They will most certainly be a target of the JREF West.
Old 3rd April 2003, 04:07 PM   #24
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

Re: Re: CSS

Quote:
It will be my honor and pleasure to welcome you to the JREF West. I will need several interested and dedicated people to make it happen. Randi and the crew are all close friends of mine, and it is truly an honor for them to appoint me for the job. I would like to see satellite JREF locations all over the country.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Ken

Now back on the subject. Does not Benny Hinn have a location in Texas? I know he did, but he operates in California now I think. I want to take on those creeps on their own doorstep. Robert Tilton was there, and who else. They will most certainly be a target of the JREF West.
If you're out this way, CSS, I'm in North Highlands, just a stone's throw from Sacramento. (Literally.) Drop us a line, we could put you up for a night.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy