ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags microscopes

Old 11th March 2016, 08:56 PM   #41
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Keep posting pictures!

Years ago there was a thread where someone who had just bought a microscope posted a heap of pictures. Anyone remember that? It was fascinating and educational. I'd love to see someone keep up the tradition.
Old 12th March 2016, 05:39 AM   #42
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Ok, more pics. This is also from an inexpensive set of 25 pre-prepared slides I bought.

This one is rhizopus sporangia.
It's a fungus that is quite common, might be on that old bread you eat.
I think it is quite beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06553.jpg (21.7 KB, 6 views)
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2016, 01:39 PM   #43
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

A bit of blackberry juice and flesh. This one I prepared myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06554.jpg (147.3 KB, 6 views)
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2016, 05:30 PM   #44
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

2 more pics from pre-prepared slides.
A section of corn stem - which looks fractal to me, and a cross section of spinal chord.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06563.jpg (117.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06564.jpg (106.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by The Sparrow; 14th March 2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 15th March 2016, 12:53 PM   #45
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Is anyone finding these interesting? Should I continue?
Old 15th March 2016, 01:11 PM   #46
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I have 100 year old slides of things like squirrel spinal cord.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2016, 01:40 PM   #47
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
Yup can you do cheeses? Or yoghurt? At different stages of maturity (sheep, cow, goat,.... rat,...... human) may be intersesting

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2016, 03:23 PM   #48
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Several people now have asked me if I have done sperm.

I haven't.

I might.

I probably won't post it.
Old 15th March 2016, 03:25 PM   #49
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Yup can you do cheeses? Or yoghurt? At different stages of maturity (sheep, cow, goat,.... rat,...... human) may be intersesting

I shall work on it

I know anyone can google this stuff, but actually doing it yourself is cool!
Old 15th March 2016, 08:00 PM   #50
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Several people now have asked me if I have done sperm.

I haven't.

I might.

I probably won't post it.
I did it when I was a kid. Not probably a prime candidate for public photography, or perhaps for public anything, but one of those things it seems appropriate to do at least once. But when you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2016, 02:30 AM   #51
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes!!
Old 16th March 2016, 03:22 AM   #52
rickps
Thinker

Absolutely! Please continue posting pictures.
rickps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2016, 04:07 AM   #53
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I did it when I was a kid. Not probably a prime candidate for public photography, or perhaps for public anything, but one of those things it seems appropriate to do at least once. But when you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all.
Ok, I did it. It was actually kind of moving to see those little dudes swimming around.
I mean, we all know they are there, but actually seeing them kind of blew me away.
Sort of like the first time you see Jupiter with a telescope, it suddenly becomes more real, because you yourself actually saw it.
Old 16th March 2016, 04:53 AM   #54
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Why would sperm not be a candidate for public photography?
Old 16th March 2016, 07:22 AM   #55
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
'Cos they're nekkid ... they've got no clothes on ! Gotta think of the children
Old 16th March 2016, 07:39 AM   #56
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well, I guess that it is mine, and the implications of how I obtained it are kinda, I dunno, "icky bragging" or something.

Should I post the pics?
Old 16th March 2016, 07:40 AM   #57
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Blue Bubble View Post
'Cos they're nekkid ... they've got no clothes on ! Gotta think of the children
Hypothetically, (Christians look away now) if you got the sperm and you retrieved and isolated the ovum, (say from the mrs monthlys) If you put them together on the slide would there be anything preventing you from observing the fertilisation?

Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2016, 08:07 AM   #58
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Hypothetically, (Christians look away now) if you got the sperm and you retrieved and isolated the ovum, (say from the mrs monthlys) If you put them together on the slide would there be anything preventing you from observing the fertilisation?

I think you could, eggs are huge.
I think the problem is getting/finding one.
Old 16th March 2016, 03:48 PM   #59
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Difficult shot - 400X magnification handholding camera up to the eyepiece.

Sorry if anyone finds it offensive. It's science.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06573.jpg (21.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 17th March 2016, 04:24 PM   #60
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Anyone who finds that offensive needs to get their head out of their...

Oh, hey! Great pics! Post more!
Old 18th March 2016, 05:36 AM   #61
Learjet
Thinker

I bought a similar Omax microscope a couple of years ago. Got the phase contrast kit and it also does darkfield. I have learned a lot in the time I've had it.

Here's a drop of pond water. There are other micro videos on my youtube channel if you can sort through all the cat videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6KiN_9QLf8
Old 18th March 2016, 10:09 AM   #62
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
I bought a similar Omax microscope a couple of years ago. Got the phase contrast kit and it also does darkfield. I have learned a lot in the time I've had it.

Here's a drop of pond water. There are other micro videos on my youtube channel if you can sort through all the cat videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6KiN_9QLf8
Great work! Look at those little dues go!
Old 18th March 2016, 10:11 AM   #63
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

A scraping from one of my wife's house plants. I think the cells are quite beautiful.
Makes a difference too actually setting up properly with a tripod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06583.jpg (114.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06584.jpg (137.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06585.jpg (107.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th March 2016, 11:06 AM   #64
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

You've got me wanting a microscope now. Thanks for taking the effort to share the photos.

Depending on where you live, it might be fun to go tardigrade hunting. I'm fascinated by those little guys.
Old 18th March 2016, 11:22 AM   #65
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Yes I am eager for the warm weather to arrive

This has opened up a whole new world for me, that has always been there but that I have been missing.
Science Rocks!
Old 18th March 2016, 01:19 PM   #66
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Got a little more info. The darker green patches are chloroplats within the larger cells. Chloroplats are instrumental in photosynthesis.
Old 20th March 2016, 09:40 PM   #67
mgidm86
Illuminator

Awesome! You may sell a few scopes because of this thread. I'm feelin' the itch.

I had a decent Orion telescope a few years ago. Had the motor and all that - some good extras. I got bored though because a lot of objects look the same after a while, so I returned in (30 day return policy).

To me, this looks more interesting for the money spent.

Keep the pictures coming.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2016, 04:27 AM   #68
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Awesome! You may sell a few scopes because of this thread. I'm feelin' the itch.

I had a decent Orion telescope a few years ago. Had the motor and all that - some good extras. I got bored though because a lot of objects look the same after a while, so I returned in (30 day return policy).

To me, this looks more interesting for the money spent.

Keep the pictures coming.
That is kind of the thought process I went through. That and thinking I'd be outside at night in either the freezing cold or in the mosquitoes.
Old 21st March 2016, 05:26 AM   #69
jonesdave116
Graduate Poster

Very interesting stuff. Maybe I'll keep my eye open for a cheap one.
I saw a repeat of a series called 'Genius of Britain: The Scientists Who Changed the World' recently (http://www.channel4.com/info/press/p...nged-the-world), where Richard Dawkins presented a short piece on Robert Hooke (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hooke). He didn't invent the microscope, but his book, Micrographia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrographia), was an astonishing piece of work. The illustrations were unbelivable.
Old 21st March 2016, 05:27 AM   #70
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
Very interesting stuff. Maybe I'll keep my eye open for a cheap one.
I saw a repeat of a series called 'Genius of Britain: The Scientists Who Changed the World' recently (http://www.channel4.com/info/press/p...nged-the-world), where Richard Dawkins presented a short piece on Robert Hooke (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hooke). He didn't invent the microscope, but his book, Micrographia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrographia), was an astonishing piece of work. The illustrations were unbelivable.
Indeed, was just reading a bit about Hooke recently.
Old 27th March 2016, 11:12 AM   #71
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

From the microscope, crystals that grew from evaporated salty water, and a strange rope like object in the flesh of a banana. The latter looks like a historical scientific drawing of some sort. (to me). Any tips on not having air bubbles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06587.jpg (116.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06588.jpg (114.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 28th March 2016, 10:18 PM   #72
mgidm86
Illuminator

Cool stuff!
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2016, 11:07 AM   #73
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

From the microscope, crystals that grew from evaporated salty water, and a strange rope like object in the flesh of a banana. The latter looks like a historical scientific drawing of some sort. (to me). Any tips on not having air bubbles?
Tilt the coverslip when mounting it - put the left side down first and roll the right side down flat. That'll help push bubbles off to the side.

Thinner specimens will also help.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2016, 01:42 PM   #74
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yes, please do.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2016, 01:53 PM   #75
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

By all means continue. I've been very lazy and keep not getting my microscope out and lit and this and that. But I love seeing the stuff under yours.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2016, 03:28 PM   #76
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Thanks guys for the tips and encouragement. I shall continue, just been a bit busy lately.
Old 30th March 2016, 05:31 PM   #77
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

From the microscope. Haven't gotten proper stain yet, so used food colouring! Not my best photo either but what the heck. It is a few of my cheek cells from a swab. I like how the stain brings out the nucleus! Or should I say Nucleii !
Nucleusses?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06589.jpg (59.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by The Sparrow; 30th March 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 31st March 2016, 10:44 AM   #78
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

From the microscope. Haven't gotten proper stain yet, so used food colouring! Not my best photo either but what the heck. It is a few of my cheek cells from a swab. I like how the stain brings out the nucleus! Or should I say Nucleii !
Nucleusses?
Based on that photo it is clear that you are neither human nor avian. What are you doing here? Where is this going?

Just kidding, I suck at bio but find your pictures interesting.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:29 PM   #79
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

My first Microscope videos. Sampled some algae from my wife's Beta tank, and found a couple little critters living and swimming around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRvvoZh-cuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1WwE5oHIY
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:18 AM   #80
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Pictures from the wife's Beta tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06603.jpg (87.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06601.jpg (80.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06599.jpg (98.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06597.jpg (108.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06596.jpg (131.8 KB, 3 views)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology