ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th April 2016, 07:10 AM   #1
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

ISF Donation

To Whom It May Concern:

Good morning.

When the Forum was ‘JREF’, it was possible to make a donation to the Forum. Therefore, I was wondering if it is possible to make a donation to the Forum now when it is ‘ISF’?

And if one can make such a donation, then please tell me the particulars.

Thanks much.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

JREF was and still is a registered charity in the USA, so contributions were tax deductible. ISF is privately owned by Icerat. I expect if he feels he needs some financial help for it he'll launch a kickstarter or something.
Old 14th April 2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
JREF was and still is a registered charity in the USA, so contributions were tax deductible. ISF is privately owned by Icerat. I expect if he feels he needs some financial help for it he'll launch a kickstarter or something.
Thanks much for the data.

I will contact 'icerat' and ask him.

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2016, 11:51 AM   #4
madurobob
Philosopher

IIRC, back when the forum move was being set up there was a lot of talk about 501(c)3 status and someone with experience in setting those up volunteered to help. Sounds like that was never pursued.
Old 14th April 2016, 01:02 PM   #5
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
To Whom It May Concern:

Good morning.

When the Forum was ‘JREF’, it was possible to make a donation to the Forum. Therefore, I was wondering if it is possible to make a donation to the Forum now when it is ‘ISF’?

Thanks much.
Before you do, put it in context of Icerat turning down an offer of $5000 before he started hosting the forum.

That suggests he's intending it to be a profit-making enterprise. It may already be.
Old 14th April 2016, 01:17 PM   #6
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Before you do, put it in context of Icerat turning down an offer of $5000 before he started hosting the forum.

That suggests he's intending it to be a profit-making enterprise. It may already be.
Or that he didn't want to start dealing with the legal/tax issues that taking money would entail. I'm certain that if hosting the forum becomes an unacceptable financial burden, he'll let someone know.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2016, 03:01 PM   #7
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
To Whom It May Concern:

Good morning.

Thanks much.
Thanks for the offer Crossbow! Your offer is much appreciated. For now I'm funding ISF and happy to keep doing so. May I suggest donating to a cause important to you that needs the money more than we do?
Old 14th April 2016, 03:03 PM   #8
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Or that he didn't want to start dealing with the legal/tax issues that taking money would entail. I'm certain that if hosting the forum becomes an unacceptable financial burden, he'll let someone know.
There's always Panama
Old 14th April 2016, 03:18 PM   #9
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
There's always Panama
Oh, I'm sure you can find a shady lawyer a little closer to home. Maybe even one who doesn't have a mole sending every document to the media. Just a thought!
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2016, 03:38 PM   #10
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Oh, I'm sure you can find a shady lawyer a little closer to home.
He has my email address, yes.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2016, 04:47 AM   #11
Crossbow

Originally Posted by icerat View Post
Thanks for the offer Crossbow! Your offer is much appreciated. For now I'm funding ISF and happy to keep doing so. May I suggest donating to a cause important to you that needs the money more than we do?
Thanks so much 'icerat'.

I do appreciate your support of the Forum and as such, I recently made a donation to 'West Virginia Public Radio'.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics