ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Hellstorm" , war crimes , World War II history

Old 22nd May 2016, 09:33 PM   #81
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
What "ilk" is in question?

What jimbob said.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:34 AM   #82
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
What jimbob said.
The stuff referred to by me in #19 and by jimbob in #49 indicates that equating Nazi crimes with Dresden and Tokyo, and with Red Army misdeeds, is not the real issue. The Hellstorm material is simply Nazi propaganda extolling Hitler and his regime.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 01:09 AM   #83
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Why the name "Hellstorm"?
"Stormfront" was taken??

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 03:16 AM   #84
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
"Stormfront" was taken??
... and it also sounds a bit like "Heil", which is nice.
Old 23rd May 2016, 06:26 PM   #85
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

The stuff referred to by me in #19 and by jimbob in #49 indicates that equating Nazi crimes with Dresden and Tokyo, and with Red Army misdeeds, is not the real issue. The Hellstorm material is simply Nazi propaganda extolling Hitler and his regime.

Bringing up Dresden (and, apparently, being unaware of other events) has frequently been used before by the OPer as a means of illustrating the supposed evilness of the Allies. That's what I was remarking on.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:48 PM   #86
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Bringing up Dresden (and, apparently, being unaware of other events) has frequently been used before by the OPer as a means of illustrating the supposed evilness of the Allies. That's what I was remarking on.
Perhaps the OPer is aware of the other events, but thinks that the bombing of D was particularly heinous for one reason or another. That would not be an utterly irrational viewpoint.

Anyway, nobody could say that the bombing of D was less reprehensible because other places were bombed as well.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:19 PM   #87
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps the OPer is aware of the other events, but thinks that the bombing of D was particularly heinous for one reason or another. That would not be an utterly irrational viewpoint.

No, it's not a legitimate position in my estimation, as the Hamburg raid was objectively worse. See reply below.

Anyway, nobody could say that the bombing of D was less reprehensible because other places were bombed as well.

Cold, hard numbers. Fatalities as a result of the July 1943 raid on Hamburg: 42,000. Fatalities as a result of the Feb. 1945 raid on Dresden: 25,000. If one is going to cite a bombing raid on a German city, and the deaths caused as a result, as an example of Allied cruelty and evilness, then one should be citing Hamburg.

That they don't, and even appear entirely ignorant of the Hamburg raid altogether, suggests a substantial lack of knowledge on the subject of the bombing offensive. And if one has exhibited a substantial lack of knowledge on a subject, then I see little reason to take their proclamations on said subject with much seriousness.

(And that's not even touching upon the entirely unpredictable nature of firestorms, which could not be created on command. The night after the raid on Dresden, the city of Chemnitz was hit by an almost equally large RAF bombing force. But no one talks about that raid, because no firestorm occurred and thus casualties were vastly lower. In short, unusual events draw all the attention, and are mistakenly used as if they were representative. They were not.)
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:07 PM   #88
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This sounds like you believe the bombing of Dresden was particularly heinous, and you think you have a rational reason for your belief. What is the basis of your belief?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2016, 01:32 AM   #89
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

@ Corsair and theprestige. As pointed out before, in another thread which I commend to your attention: I believe intentional bombing of civilians to be immoral. That is not to say that I think the Allies were in any way comparable with the Nazis. But this present thread was initiated by material which has nothing to do with such comparisons, and is simply pro-Nazi propaganda extolling Hitler.

Last edited by Craig B; 24th May 2016 at 02:36 AM.
Old 24th May 2016, 02:30 PM   #90
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Dresden was an important transportation hub being used by the Wehrmacht to assist in withdrawing before the Red Army. Bombing it was entirely logical.
Old 24th May 2016, 03:28 PM   #91
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I always find it illustrative how folks of the ilk in question go on and on about Dresden yet are apparently totally ignorant of Hamburg, Kessel, and Tokyo. It's too much to ask, I guess, to read a little bit more of history.
Not to mention Lidice.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2016, 12:06 AM   #92
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Not to mention Lidice.
And Oradour sur Glane...
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2016, 02:55 AM   #93
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Dresden was an important transportation hub being used by the Wehrmacht to assist in withdrawing before the Red Army. Bombing it was entirely logical.
In that case, the following was not "logical". From Sir Arthur Harris.
the aim of the Combined Bomber Offensive...should be unambiguously stated [as] the destruction of German cities, the killing of German workers, and the disruption of civilised life throughout Germany.

... the destruction of houses, public utilities, transport and lives, the creation of a refugee problem on an unprecedented scale, and the breakdown of morale both at home and at the battle fronts by fear of extended and intensified bombing, are accepted and intended aims of our bombing policy. They are not by-products of attempts to hit factories.
If the destruction of civilian life at Dresden was indeed an undesired but inevitable by-product of an imperative requirement to obstruct the German Army, then it would be logical. Very well. But that was not the general principle behind the bombing campaign, as already discussed, and as stated by Harris himself.

ETA Harris's wiki bio has this to say about Dresden.
Within the postwar British government there was some disquiet about the level of destruction that had been created by the area-bombing of German cities towards the end of the war. Harris retired on 15 September 1946 and wrote his story of Bomber Command's achievements in Bomber Offensive. In this book he wrote, concerning Dresden, "I know that the destruction of so large and splendid a city at this late stage of the war was considered unnecessary even by a good many people who admit that our earlier attacks were as fully justified as any other operation of war. Here I will only say that the attack on Dresden was at the time considered a military necessity by much more important people than myself.
Clearly the issue is controversial, but it boils down to whether the destruction was or was not a military necessity on grounds such as the ones you propose. Bombing cities for the purpose of killing their residents falls within a different moral category.

The massacres at Lidice and Oradour are a different phenomenon, and crimes of this kind were not perpetrated by the western Allies.

Last edited by Craig B; 25th May 2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 25th May 2016, 11:44 AM   #94
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

It's almost like we've been here before.

WE'VE ALL BEEN HERE BEFORE!

The horror!
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2016, 12:12 PM   #95
Nick Terry
Master Poster

(And that's not even touching upon the entirely unpredictable nature of firestorms, which could not be created on command.
While it's true that conjuring up firestorms was tricky, the British went to extraordinary efforts to perfect the use of incendiary bombs during WWII.

Richard Overy, one of my colleagues and one of the leading authorities on strategic bombing during WWII, recently gave a paper on what he has called "incendiarism" in the bombing campaign, which showed that the use of incendaries was discussed in truly blood-curdling terms by scientists and air force officers.

Everytime one asks you holocaust deniers for positive evidence you just put your finger in the ears, dance around and sing lalala - Kevin Silbstedt
Nick Terry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2016, 12:20 PM   #96
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Essentially the RAF/RCAF etc couldn't create a firestorm on demand, but we're trying to figure out how to.

Any chance of a look at the paper? As a gunner, that has some potential PD value.
Old 25th May 2016, 12:29 PM   #97
Nick Terry
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Essentially the RAF/RCAF etc couldn't create a firestorm on demand, but we're trying to figure out how to.

Any chance of a look at the paper? As a gunner, that has some potential PD value.
Hopefully Overy will get it published, it would be a fantastic journal article.

Everytime one asks you holocaust deniers for positive evidence you just put your finger in the ears, dance around and sing lalala - Kevin Silbstedt
Nick Terry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2016, 01:21 PM   #98
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nick Terry View Post
While it's true that conjuring up firestorms was tricky, the British went to extraordinary efforts to perfect the use of incendiary bombs during WWII.

Well, of course. I don't see why that should be surprising to anyone. Pretty much every weapon had efforts to perfect it, or at least improve its effectiveness. I don't see why bombs, incendiary or otherwise, would be any different.

Originally Posted by Nick Terry View Post
Richard Overy, one of my colleagues and one of the leading authorities on strategic bombing during WWII, recently gave a paper on what he has called "incendiarism" in the bombing campaign, which showed that the use of incendaries was discussed in truly blood-curdling terms by scientists and air force officers.

I'm sure it sounds awful. But then, war is awful. I personally don't see much distinction between being killed by an incendiary bomb or high explosive bomb or artillery shell or rifle bullet or mortar, or any of a number of other ways, since the key commonality among all the methods is death. Dead is dead, and I'm not sure the dead particularly care about the manner of their expiry, seeing as they're dead regardless.

Last edited by Corsair 115; 25th May 2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 25th May 2016, 01:25 PM   #99
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post

As the raid on Hamburg showed, devastating a city via a firestorm was largely the equivalent of an atomic bomb in terms of the damage done, only without the radiation, and requiring a lot more aircraft and bombs. Only a truly suicidal regime would keep waging a war once such destructive power had been consistently demonstrated.
Old 25th May 2016, 01:27 PM   #100
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
It's almost like we've been here before.

WE'VE ALL BEEN HERE BEFORE!

The horror!

I'll leave my more detailed responses to Craig B. in the other thread and not repeat them here.
Old 25th May 2016, 04:37 PM   #101
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure it sounds awful. But then, war is awful. I personally don't see much distinction between being killed by an incendiary bomb or high explosive bomb or artillery shell or rifle bullet or mortar, or any of a number of other ways, since the key commonality among all the methods is death. Dead is dead, and I'm not sure the dead particularly care about the manner of their expiry, seeing as they're dead regardless.
Dead is dead. Therefore you can't see any difference between Luftwaffe pilots shot down and killed in action, and Jewish children gassed in an extermination camp, because in both cases the victims are dead regardless. You really want me to believe you think that?
Old 25th May 2016, 04:38 PM   #102
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

I'll leave my more detailed responses to Craig B. in the other thread and not repeat them here.
You are most kind.
Old 25th May 2016, 04:54 PM   #103
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Dead is dead. Therefore you can't see any difference between Luftwaffe pilots shot down and killed in action, and Jewish children gassed in an extermination camp, because in both cases the victims are dead regardless. You really want me to believe you think that?
Wow. I don't know what's more amazing: The badness of this post, its utter lack of any reason to exist.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2016, 10:41 PM   #104
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

That has been explained to you in the other thread, and since you refused to understand that explanation in the other thread, there seems little reason to repeat it here. Suffice it to say others have explained to you why your position above is flawed.
Old 26th May 2016, 01:34 AM   #105
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

That has been explained to you in the other thread, and since you refused to understand that explanation in the other thread, there seems little reason to repeat it here. Suffice it to say others have explained to you why your position above is flawed.
Suffice it further to say this: I can not accept that you believe that deaths in war are morally equivalent because you're not sure the dead particularly care about the manner of their expiry. If you do think that indifference by dead people imparts moral equivalence to the various different acts that might have caused their deaths, then I fervently hope you never have cause to test that argument in a court of law.
Old 26th May 2016, 03:10 AM   #106
Giz
Philosopher

Suffice it further to say this: I can not accept that you believe that deaths in war are morally equivalent because you're not sure the dead particularly care about the manner of their expiry. If you do think that indifference by dead people imparts moral equivalence to the various different acts that might have caused their deaths, then I fervently hope you never have cause to test that argument in a court of law.
If you were honest, you would have made it a choice between shooting, burning, gassing, Luftwaffe pilots (who were not already under allied control). Obviously killing non-combatants in an area you control is vastly different. As has been explained to you many times.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2016, 03:41 AM   #107
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
If you were honest, you would have made it a choice between shooting, burning, gassing, Luftwaffe pilots (who were not already under allied control). Obviously killing non-combatants in an area you control is vastly different. As has been explained to you many times.
I'm sure I'll need to explain this only once. Consider your argument already cited
Dead is dead, and I'm not sure the dead particularly care about the manner of their expiry, seeing as they're dead regardless.
I am honest.

By your criterion, if people don't care how they were killed, they equally don't care where they were killed. So the indifference of the dead is not a principle by which the morality of the acts that caused their deaths can be measured.

Nor is it permissible to commit any act without restraint against noncombatant civilians under the rule of an enemy state, especially when that state is an undisguised tyranny. I simply don't accept that, however often you choose to affirm it, and however obvious it may seem to you.

However, I have made clear my view that the massacres of Lidice and Oradour were phenomena different from the strategic bombing, and that the western Allies did not commit crimes of that kind.

Last edited by Craig B; 26th May 2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old 26th May 2016, 06:33 AM   #108
Giz
Philosopher

I'm sure I'll need to explain this only once. Consider your argument already cited I am honest.

By your criterion, if people don't care how they were killed, they equally don't care where they were killed. So the indifference of the dead is not a principle by which the morality of the acts that caused their deaths can be measured.
no. That's not at all the same .

If your statement was true, then killing a German soldier in battle would be equivalent to killing a German soldier who was in a pow camp. "Where" matters a lot.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2016, 07:12 AM   #109
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

no. That's not at all the same .

If your statement was true, then killing a German soldier in battle would be equivalent to killing a German soldier who was in a pow camp. "Where" matters a lot.
That's not my point. It's nothing like what I am discussing, I'm comparing killing a soldier in battle with intentionally killing masses of civilians while they are ruled by an enemy state.

And if "where" matters a lot, it doesn't matter to people once they are dead. It was the use of this absurd criterion by Corsair 115 that I was criticising.

Last edited by Craig B; 26th May 2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 26th May 2016, 10:35 AM   #110
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. And is being met once more with fingers inserted in ears, apparently.
Old 26th May 2016, 11:15 AM   #111
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Corsair & Giz.

This is not going to work, at least as an intimidatory tactic. It'll probably get the discourse relegated to AAH, which I suppose is your intent.
Old 26th May 2016, 12:05 PM   #112
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

This battle (pun intended) was waged in the other thread. There seems little reason to rehash the same ground here, especially as it was done in far more detail there. (I recall providing quite a bit in the way of evidence and citations.)
Old 26th May 2016, 12:20 PM   #113
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I like Nazi apologists.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2016, 12:53 PM   #114
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I like Nazi apologists.
BTW the film Hellstorm is based upon a equally disgusting book.

For a different kind of insanity there is "Human Smoke" a book by Nicholas Baker, which carries Moral Equivilency in World War 2 to it logical end:The Allies really were no better then the Axis.Baker is a sort of Pacifist Anarchist,and the whole book is an exercise in ideology triumphing over reality.
He has a nasty habit of pointing out the personal flaws in the character of Churhill,Rosevelt and other Allied Leaders,and using that as evidence they were no better then Hitler and company.In fact, a few pacifists are the only people in the book who have any real ethics and morality whatsoever. It';s special pleading carried to the level of insanity. It is also one of the worst books of History I have ever read.
And it a sad comment about certain "intellectuals" that this pile of crap had a huge success with certain critics and in certain intellectual circles.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 08:57 AM   #115
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

Is it safe to say that the Nazis committed more war crimes than the Soviets? Stalin killed more people overall but the height of his terror was in the 1930s.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 09:33 AM   #116
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
Is it safe to say that the Nazis committed more war crimes than the Soviets? Stalin killed more people overall but the height of his terror was in the 1930s.
Yes, Soviet terror was mostly within the state and not "war crimes" as such. Probably the one area where the Soviets outdid the Germans was in the slaughter of non-Jewish Polish intelligentsia.
Old 6th June 2016, 09:33 AM   #117
lobosrul
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
The whole genocide thing is what really sets Nazi Germany apart from Stalinist Soviet Union. It was never the Soviets goal to cleanse the world of certain ethnic groups, or create lebenstraum by letting most of the population of a country starve to death.

ETA: the Great Purge seems to have killed far less people than the Holocaust.

Last edited by lobosrul; 6th June 2016 at 09:35 AM.
lobosrul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 09:36 AM   #118
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
The whole genocide thing is what really sets Nazi Germany apart from Stalinist Soviet Union. It was never the Soviets goal to cleanse the world of certain ethnic groups, or create lebenstraum by letting most of the population of a country starve to death.
Still, minorities suffered harsh treatment in the USSR. Kurds, Koreans, Iranians, etc were deported en masse. The rationale was always political of course, which is why Jews (with typically German origins) were frequently accused of being Nazi spies.
Old 6th June 2016, 09:38 AM   #119
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
ETA: the Great Purge seems to have killed far less people than the Holocaust.
Debatable, but yes, earlier high estimates by e.g. Conquest of 7-8+ million are often seen as too high today. One million may be more reasonable. It also depends on how you count Gulag prisoners.
Old 6th June 2016, 09:43 AM   #120
lobosrul
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Still, minorities suffered harsh treatment in the USSR. Kurds, Koreans, Iranians, etc were deported en masse. The rationale was always political of course, which is why Jews (with typically German origins) were frequently accused of being Nazi spies.
True. I also like to point out, especially when someone says something like: "Look how much the Soviets sacrificed to defeat Hitler, the West barely did anything", that the Soviets were hardly innocent victims. They did agree to carve up Poland with Germany, annexed Bessarabia, and invaded Finland after all.
lobosrul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts