ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags general discussion , Israel issues , Israel-Palestine conflict , Palestine issues , US-Israel relations

Reply
Old 13th May 2016, 09:30 PM   #41
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,979
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Syria went to war with Israel. Why should they be allowed to keep militarily advantageous positions on the Syria-Israeli border after that?

I think it's a fundamental principle of warfare that, if a defender wins a war against the aggressor, they have every right to redraw the border in a way that benefits them and reduces the effectiveness of such aggression in the future. Syria's lucky that all they lost was the Golan.
Among other things. War is a nasty business, regardless, and losing aggressive wars tends to have nasty political consequences, as it should have.

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
What were the Israeli demands in the proposed comprehensive peace treaty with Syria? You know about this subject : enlighten us.
You do realize, I hope, that the ball is still in your court on this topic, CapelDodger? The point that Syria could have had the Golan Heights back had they agreed to a comprehensive peace treaty stands just fine as it is. If you want to argue against that point, the onus is on you to present an actual argument about why the proposed comprehensive peace treaty or treaties themselves were unreasonable. Not any of this "but the leader would have been a hero if he got back the Golan Heights, however he did it" dodging of the issue.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 13th May 2016 at 09:34 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2016, 09:57 PM   #42
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 59,856
Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
5. You still haven't addressed my point. How did the jews go from assimilation to gas chambers in "progressive" europe?
Because progressive Europeans sent them there, progressively.

And they'd do it again today in a heartbeat, in fact Europeans on this very board have assured me that without strict laws banning Holocaust denial, Nazi symbolism and writings, etc Europe would once again erupt into an orgy of fascism, hatred, and genocide.

That's just how they progress over there.
__________________
Vive la liberté!
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 01:04 AM   #43
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 10,005
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Israel has nothing to do with the Holocaust. The driving of the Palestinians out of Palestine so that a bunch of racist Europeans could have it for themselves was not a response to the Holocaust. It was a response to having Palestinians where the Zionists didn't want them - in their country.
Uh-huh, yeah, sure, right.

Quote:
A Jewish National Home in Austria after WW2 is soemthing I could get behind. Clear out the remaining Austrians and let in Europe's Jews. An injustice to some Austrians but not nearly enough to care about, and just the thing for the rest of them.
Here you trash any foundation for your objections about the same being done elsewhere. Your rant is, then, all about taking a side against Israel.

Quote:
There are still Jews in Europe,
And? And they are greatly concerned, with communities losing population in France, Sweden, and other places one might think local enlightenment would save them. Turns out there is a growing alliance between extreme righties and/or lefties and Islamic militants, and plenty of terror against Jews for being Jews.

In southern Europe, you will find common sayings and expressions still in use that are horribly anti-Semitic. 'Dirty Jew' is still a common insult. And very few Jews remain.

Quote:
The Holocaust is damned useful to Zionists, because it conceals the fact that they started this thing...
That will be quite enough from you: collective guilt justifying mass murder of innocents. Lucky for you, the only people who regularly kill for spouting such nonsense are your friends in the Master Faith.
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion.
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 01:47 AM   #44
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And, frankly,I am begin to detect a good whiff of "Left WIng Anti Semitism" in this thread, which of course, a lot people on the left denies to exist.
And I really amused by somebody who defends Putin on the grounds of cold realpolitik,but gets all emotional and on a moral high horse where Israel is concerned.
Blah, Blah, Blah. Whine. Moan, Beeyatch...Play the Victim Card.

You are getting tiresome.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 03:49 AM   #45
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,808
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Looking for something like Anti-Arabism?
Disappointingly lacking in imagination that term. Guess that's why it didn't catch on.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 04:01 AM   #46
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,293
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Disappointingly lacking in imagination that term. Guess that's why it didn't catch on.
Yeah, AA brings to mind a different impairment.
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 04:18 AM   #47
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,808
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And, frankly,I am begin to detect a good whiff of "Left WIng Anti Semitism" in this thread, which of course, a lot people on the left denies to exist.
I think that sums up the whole problem.

In this thread we've seen the Arabs and Europeans and Left-wing all been criticised along with the Zionists and Israel.

And yet it's your Anti-Semitism detector that's been triggered.

It's that strange love affair of the American right with Israel mixed with their disdain for just about everyone else that triggered the satire that kicked off the whole recent stramash in the first place.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 04:20 AM   #48
Lorentz
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 973
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Because progressive Europeans sent them there, progressively.

And they'd do it again today in a heartbeat, in fact Europeans on this very board have assured me that without strict laws banning Holocaust denial, Nazi symbolism and writings, etc Europe would once again erupt into an orgy of fascism, hatred, and genocide.

That's just how they progress over there.
I do not believe this for a second. Do you have any evidence that might convince me you're not pulling this out of your colon?
Lorentz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 06:19 AM   #49
Giz
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,339
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I think that sums up the whole problem.

In this thread we've seen the Arabs and Europeans and Left-wing all been criticised along with the Zionists and Israel.

And yet it's your Anti-Semitism detector that's been triggered .
Yeah, the problem is those who complain about anti semitism. Sure.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 06:37 AM   #50
Jules Galen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Because progressive Europeans sent them there, progressively.

And they'd do it again today in a heartbeat, in fact Europeans on this very board have assured me that without strict laws banning Holocaust denial, Nazi symbolism and writings, etc Europe would once again erupt into an orgy of fascism, hatred, and genocide.

That's just how they progress over there.
Horse manure.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 09:42 AM   #51
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,808
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Yeah, the problem is those who complain about anti semitism. Sure.
No the problem is double standards. But you knew that and thought you'd be a dick about it anyway. Very constructive.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 09:57 AM   #52
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 59,856
Originally Posted by Lorentz View Post
I do not believe this for a second. Do you have any evidence that might convince me you're not pulling this out of your colon?
Why does Germany need Holocaust denial laws? Laws against Nazi literature and symbols? Why does the UK need laws against "inciting racial hatred"?
__________________
Vive la liberté!
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 10:14 AM   #53
Giz
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,339
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
No the problem is double standards. But you knew that and thought you'd be a dick about it anyway. Very constructive.
So much anti semitism and Jew baiting had been seen, both in the uk and in this thread. That you pretend it isn't there, only says something about your biases.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 01:10 PM   #54
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,520
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
The problem is that Zionists decided to colonise Palestine therefore creating the dispute over who got to have it - the natives or the colonisers. Without the Zionist project there would have been no problem.
That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be to recognize that it could have belonged to everyone until the issue was forced by a race-war started by invading neighboring countries.

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
That cack about Haj Amin is just cack. Demonisation. The Arabs didn't go to war in 1948 to kill all the Jews, they went into it to prevent the creation of a Jewish State for Jews over their heads. They were right to fear what the consequences would be - dispossession and exile on a mass, if not total, scale.
Revisionism.

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
The early colonists were mostly Russian and got there decades before Hitler arrived on the scene, let alone got his anti-semitic programme under way. One which, by the way, did not turn genocidal at the prompting of Haj Amin. Just thought I'd better point that out, a different opinion having been expressed recently.
Right. They were fleeing Russian pogroms. The Russians, "lagging behind" like you say they do, hadn't thought of industrializing genocide the way the Nazi's would 60 years later.


Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I think it's fair to say you don't really know anything about the Zionist story, so I'll get a bit lectural. To set the stage : in 19th Century Europe Jewish life became normalised in Europe, starting with the French Revolution and the emancipation of French Jews and then the opening of the Italian ghettoes and it was general progress from there. Russia lagged, of course, but that's Russia for you, and Russian anti-semitism was regarded as evidence of its semi-barbarism. By the 1890's this process had produced twin evils, in many conservative Ashkenazi minds, of miscegenation and a decline in deference to the proper Community Leaders.

Zionism is meant to be a counter to that. In their own country, not mixing with anybody else, Jews will rarely marry out, and they will rediscover their duty to their proper Community Leaders who bear the grave responsibility of running the country.

It was supposed to be easier than this.
You get this from the same revisionist sources you used to claim Joachim Prinz was a cheerleader for Hitler? Either way, let's see your evidence.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 02:41 PM   #55
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,067
Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Blah, Blah, Blah.
Good news, dudalb! You have now officially won!
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2016, 05:43 PM   #56
Maya22
Graduate Poster
 
Maya22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Teal Town
Posts: 1,445
This article is a few months old; however, the information is new to me:

Palestine has new embassy in Brasília
__________________
"We take care of our world by taking care of each other — it is as simple and as difficult as that." -Desmond Tutu
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 11:22 AM   #57
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,338
Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
1. Carving a Jewish State out of Austria would just be painting a huge bullseye on it.
And the one in Palestine has what on it?

Quote:
2. You are disturbingly gleeful about the idea of Arab armies, motivated by Nazism, exterminating every Israel man woman and child. FFS they had a Nazi recruiting sergeant as the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem.
I'm not gleeful at all. You are unsurprsingly driven to see what isn't there.

Quote:
3. I SERIOUSLY doubt that when Jewish and Arab Nationalism were developing, that there was some multicultural paradise in the region before WW1. Especially when the Ottoman Empire was in the final stages of collapse
Jewish Nationalism wasn't developing in Palestine, or anywhere in the Middle East. Jewish Nationalism - Zionism - was a vanity-project of European Jews who wanted, as Asher Ginzberg put it at the time, to "finally show the Germans that they were as good as them". Palestine at the end of the Ottoman Empire was a prosperous place, not least because central control was faltering and the regions were largely running themselves. This would be the point at which Ziggurat's Orc-Arabs killed all the Jews they could reach in his epic fantasy novel.

There was a problem with banditry in the Jordan valley - now that is a common feature of desert Arabs when central authority wavers - and the Zionists bought quite a lot of land there because it was cheap (they didn't think to enquire why and their Lebanese land-dealers felt no obligation to tell them). This, as it happens, is a source of much of the "terrorism" narrative of the early days.

Quote:
4. There's a lot less Jews living in Europe than Israel. I wonder why that is...
Mostly because the Zionists made life impossible for Jews in the rest of the Middle East and they had to move there if they couldn't get in elsewhere. There are more Ashkenazi in Europe and the US (homelands of the Zionists) than there are in Israel. The "call to return" is not as strong as Zionists like to believe, it seems.

Quote:
5. You still haven't addressed my point. How did the jews go from assimilation to gas chambers in "progressive" europe?
There was a regression in Germany and Austria in the 1930's following their defeat in the Great War and their deliberate humiliation afterwards. In the War itself Hitler fought alongside German Jews, French Jews fought against them, Russian Jews fought for Russia, British Jews for Britain and so on. There we see the normalisation of Jewish life in Europe in full swing.

Assimilation is invisible in the grand view because it's a quiet merging of one population with another. That was going on as well.

The Holocaust, and indeed the bizarre re-emergence of anti-semitism as a political force in the 1930's, was a freak. Read up on the process and you'll see how many very unlikely circumstances had to combine for the Holocaust to happen. Right up to the failure before Moscow in the winter of 1941-42 : had it, and the Soviet Union, fallen, Europe's Jews would have been transferred out there, just as Palestine's Arabs were to be re-located.

This idea that every gentile - sorry, "gentile culture", wouldn't want to start sounding racist now - will, at some point, decide to kill all the Jews it can reach just because ... is ridiculous. (It is also, of course, deeply offensive to gentiles, who often think highly of their cultures.) And yet Zionists hold it. Clearly, Zionism rots the brain.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 11:25 AM   #58
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 59,856
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Jewish Nationalism wasn't developing in Palestine, or anywhere in the Middle East. Jewish Nationalism - Zionism - was a vanity-project of European Jews who wanted, as Asher Ginzberg put it at the time, to "finally show the Germans that they were as good as them".
Wow, just wow...

You don't think it had anything at all to do with European Jews being subject to hundreds of years of pogroms and then an industrial-scale genocide in liberal, enlightened Europe?

And let me guess, you're not anti-Jew you're just pro-Palestinian?
__________________
Vive la liberté!

Last edited by WildCat; 15th May 2016 at 11:28 AM.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 11:49 AM   #59
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,338
Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
Capel, you are avoiding my question: When Assimilation was inherently linked to being fed into crematoria, what were the Jews supposed to do next when they could no longer trust European Society as a whole?
Sorry, I missed that we cross-posted back there.

I'm trying to parse it and not getting much. Assimilation is the quiet merging of two populations which have lost sufficient distinction to keep them separated. It has been a common feature of civilisation, not least because it usually occurs in cities, wthout this "inherent" crematoria aspect showing up. And it's not as if crematoria are a recent invention. Nor mass-murder, for that matter, which again is somewhat antithetical to assimilation.

I'll assume that you're referring to the inevitability of the mass-murder of Europe's Jews by modern Europeans whatever had happened in the 20th centur, a belief you hold that is, of course, grossly offensive to gentile Europeans and not shared by European Jews, even though you apparently feel entitled to speak on their behalf.

Is it because their cultures are Christian? That would bring the Americans into the frame, but for all I know that's where you put them. That doesn't really work because, while Christians certainly treated Jews appallingly on occasions and pretty badly in general, they never tried to eliminate them. Unlike every other religious minority that came within their reach, so it's not as if Christians balk at such things.

In truth, your belief in the genocidal anti-semitism of Christian cultures is grossly offensive and nothing else.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 12:16 PM   #60
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,338
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
You don't think it had anything at all to do with European Jews being subject to hundreds of years of pogroms and then an industrial-scale genocide in liberal, enlightened Europe?
120 years ago a group of European racists who happened to be Jewish decided to displace an entire population for their own gratification and the sacred purity of their race. That was because Jewish life in Europe had normalised, leading to greater mixing and, inevitably, matching and mongrelisation. The Zionists were very much against mongrelisation, in common with most European conservatives of the time. Another concern for them was that Jews as citizens related directly to their governments : the self-perpetuating bands of Community Leaders who were previously the interface between Jews and governments lost much of their status and respect. Both these problems could be solved by a Jewish State containing only (or very largely) Jews and ruled by its rightful Community Leaders.

Read the proceedings of the Zionist Congresses, and all the acreage of debate and discussion in the press, pamphlets and books and you will find all of this discussed. What you won't find is a Jewish State as a bolt-hole for a threatened people. You will find Herzl and others arguing vehemently that it wasn't that. And, of course, nobody referred to what would happen forty years in the future due to a bizarre and utterly unpredictable set of circumstances.

Quote:
And let me guess, you're not anti-Jew you're just pro-Palestinian?
I'm always for the victims, and the Palestinians are the victims of the Zionists. The Zionist plan - clearly stated - to displace the Palestinian population one way or another was widely criticised at the time but still within the pale. It isn't now, yet you continue to defend it while playing "look over here" with the Holocaust and promoting blood libels against the Arabs. It's far from edifying.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 12:23 PM   #61
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator
 
WildCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 59,856
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
120 years ago a group of European racists who happened to be Jewish decided to displace an entire population for their own gratification and the sacred purity of their race. That was because Jewish life in Europe had normalised, leading to greater mixing and, inevitably, matching and mongrelisation. The Zionists were very much against mongrelisation, in common with most European conservatives of the time. Another concern for them was that Jews as citizens related directly to their governments : the self-perpetuating bands of Community Leaders who were previously the interface between Jews and governments lost much of their status and respect. Both these problems could be solved by a Jewish State containing only (or very largely) Jews and ruled by its rightful Community Leaders.

Read the proceedings of the Zionist Congresses, and all the acreage of debate and discussion in the press, pamphlets and books and you will find all of this discussed. What you won't find is a Jewish State as a bolt-hole for a threatened people. You will find Herzl and others arguing vehemently that it wasn't that. And, of course, nobody referred to what would happen forty years in the future due to a bizarre and utterly unpredictable set of circumstances.

I'm always for the victims, and the Palestinians are the victims of the Zionists. The Zionist plan - clearly stated - to displace the Palestinian population one way or another was widely criticised at the time but still within the pale. It isn't now, yet you continue to defend it while playing "look over here" with the Holocaust and promoting blood libels against the Arabs. It's far from edifying.
Nope, no hint of anti-Semitism in this post!
__________________
Vive la liberté!
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 12:26 PM   #62
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22,641
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You say you denounce [Violations of humanity by Syria], and yet, they play no apparent role in your consideration of events in the Golan Heights. I do not find your claim credible.
You don't believe that I think the expulsion of the Syrian population of Golan and the usurpation and resettlement of its land can't be justified by the any crimes committed by the Syrian régime?

Nonsense. I don't find your statement in the least credible.

This is pure imperialism. Back in the nineteenth century, the removal of peoples from their lands and their replacement by Europesn settlers was "justified" by the claim that the previous rulers of these lands were naked tyrants and savages. What if they were? This is the same stuff.

What misdeed on the part of the UK government would justify my being thrown out of my home and country?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 01:05 PM   #63
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,338
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be to recognize that it could have belonged to everyone until the issue was forced by a race-war started by invading neighboring countries.
The Israelis were determined that it would not belong to everybody, it would belong to them alone, and they'd spent three decades preparing the army which was to conquer it for them. Those European Jews from Europe were the invaders, you'll recall, and Europe is a different continent. They were the ones primed with European race theory. The Palestinians certainly weren't invading - they were there, in the way. MAny of them not for long.

Quote:
Revisionism.
That's it? I see your problem, of course.

Quote:
Right. They were fleeing Russian pogroms.
No, they weren't. Some were left-wingers on the lam after the failed 1905 revolution (among them Ben Gurion, who said he'd never experienced anti-semitism at home) but most were young enthusiasts with allowances looking for a cause - and most of those went back home when they found it was hard. The rest were horrified to find the Holy Land filled with "foreigners" - the term they always used for the Palestinians, echoing Ezrah who found "foreigners in the Land" and threw them out on his return from Babylon, but you'll know all about that. And they called their settlements "colonies", if there's still any doubt about who were the invaders

Quote:
The Russians, "lagging behind" like you say they do, hadn't thought of industrializing genocide the way the Nazi's would 60 years later.
The Russians had 400 years to kill all its Jews and lessons on mass murder from the Mongols etched into their cultural narrative : do you really think it would require modern industry? A reasonably industrious and biddable population - which the Russians have always had - could get it done in a decade at most.

And yet they didn't. Nobody did, or tried to, until the uniquely appalling Holocaust.

Quote:
You get this from the same revisionist sources you used to claim Joachim Prinz was a cheerleader for Hitler? Either way, let's see your evidence.
The Joachim Prinz reference escapes me. The evidence of what lay behind the Zionist project is in plain sight: the proceedings of the Zionist Congresses were entirely open and publicised to the greatest extent possible, while the general debate was carried out internationally largely through the press and in letters later published in vanity-books. Remember that the Zionist fringe - which is very much what it was - was trying to sell itself. It did not employ Project Fear for that. It employed Project Jewish Pride.

You'll have to look in books for this stuff, but you might find it a worthwhile effort. Try to get a broad range, including some of the anathematised publications.

If you have evidence that the Zionists promoted Palestine as a bolt-hole when the project was first launched do provide it. If you find any evidence that the Jewish State was to be shared with any other race at the beginning, do provide it. If you have evidence of a discontinuity in the Zionist story where the willingness to share crept in, do share. (Remember that the World Zionist Organisation created in the First Zionist Congress is the same self-perpetuating gathering of Community Leaders that Netenyahu tickled with his appalling blood libel speech recently.)

If you can find any reference to the Jewish State being democratic that would be interesting too. That is, references outwith reasons why democracy was both inappropriate when building a nation state and undesirable in principle.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 01:17 PM   #64
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,338
Craig B:
Quote:
Back in the nineteenth century, the removal of peoples from their lands and their replacement by Europesn settlers was "justified" by the claim that the previous rulers of these lands were naked tyrants and savages.
Also that the natives were not making full use of the land in the modern way, while showing no interest in how the natives were actually using it. That was actually used a lot in the early North American colonies, very explicitly. And we hear it a lot from Zionists today

This kind of arrogance is not unique to Zionists, of course. White people have been doing it for centuries and I've no doubt the Han Chinese did it when they first colonised the Yangtze Valley. Yup, the Chinese got to a sense of racial superiority first too.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 01:23 PM   #65
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,338
Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Nope, no hint of anti-Semitism in this post!
Point it out. Or is this all you're reduced to?

I suppose it was inevitable. Ziggurat gave in to temptation a while back and called me anti-semite straight out. Simply for calling him a racist, which, of course, he demonstratively is. He even does the demonstrating himself.

The hair-trigger sense for anti-semitism and blindness to actual racism is a common feature of Zionists. Not that you'll have noticed, of course.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 02:01 PM   #66
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,338
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Uh-huh, yeah, sure, right.
I'm going a lot of that response. Really, if you've nothing substantive to say don't just say anything.

Quote:
Here you trash any foundation for your objections about the same being done elsewhere. Your rant is, then, all about taking a side against Israel.
No, it's more about my justifed attitude to Austrians of the 1940's and the actual guilt for the Holocaust of so many of them. The fate of Austria would ring down the ages as a sign to those who might think to instigate such an enormity again.

I'm against Israel because it is the colonising agressor today.

Quote:
And? And they are greatly concerned, with communities losing population in France, Sweden, and other places one might think local enlightenment would save them.
Save them from assimilating? How should they do that, ghettos and anti-miscegenation laws?

Or are they going to Palestine to live amongst ineveterate (if woefully ineffective) Jew-exterminators for safety?

The "they" who are concerned - would they be the Community Leaders?

Quote:
Turns out there is a growing alliance between extreme righties and/or lefties and Islamic militants, and plenty of terror against Jews for being Jews.
There's a growing alliance between Zionists and anti-Muslims in Europe: Jews have left centre-stage as the religious minority of choice in Christendom. Of course only recently has Europe had another religious minority: they don't last long when the Christians arrive. Nobody can live with them. Except the Jews, for whom exception was made for the sake of Jesus's mother's family.

Quote:
In southern Europe, you will find common sayings and expressions still in use that are horribly anti-Semitic. 'Dirty Jew' is still a common insult. And very few Jews remain.
It's a dismal and backward place. So was the rest of Europe a few centuries ago, so there's still hope. Heck, homosexuality was illegal until a few generations ago. Things move on, let's hope for the best.

Quote:
That will be quite enough from you: collective guilt justifying mass murder of innocents. Lucky for you, the only people who regularly kill for spouting such nonsense are your friends in the Master Faith.
Oh dear. My "friends in the Master Faith", that's really all you can do?

Did you see those videos of Israelis hotting and hollering as bombs rained on Arab families in Netenyahu's last vote-gathering effort? I could choose to say that they characterise Israelis, but of course I won't. It's a shame that people can be so brutalised, though - and these are the ones who are winning. 120 years ago, when this thing was started by a group of European racists, their movement had no presence in Palestine at all. Now look how much they've conquered and how many "foreigners in the Land" they've thrown out.

But they whine and whine and whine about their inherited victimhood. It's pretty gut-turning, I'm sure you'll agree.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 02:02 PM   #67
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,338
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
So much anti semitism and Jew baiting had been seen, both in the uk and in this thread.
Where in this thread?
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 02:13 PM   #68
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,842
Israel's recent shennanigans have nothing on Saddam Hussein and Hafez/Bashir Al Assad, who have all engaged in Genocide and produced far higher body counts within a month than Israel has in its entire existence. When was the last time Gaza was saturated in Nerve Gas, or Palestinians fed into wood chippers and acid baths?
__________________
If I now say "dominoes", you won't think "pizza". Will you? - FireGarden on the Middle East
NWO Sentryman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 02:25 PM   #69
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,093
Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
Israel's recent shennanigans have nothing on Saddam Hussein and Hafez/Bashir Al Assad, who have all engaged in Genocide and produced far higher body counts within a month than Israel has in its entire existence. When was the last time Gaza was saturated in Nerve Gas, or Palestinians fed into wood chippers and acid baths?
Did you know that if you compare Israel to Nazi Germany that you can make the convincing argument "at least it's not as bad as Nazi Germany!" instead? Why be content with Iraq or Syria, go for the real deal...
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 02:30 PM   #70
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Did you know that if you compare Israel to Nazi Germany that you can make the convincing argument "at least it's not as bad as Nazi Germany!" instead? Why be content with Iraq or Syria, go for the real deal...
Because Assad is still a thing, while Saddam slightly less so. Meanwhile, their Fascist ideology Baathism is still prevalent in the Middle East.

So then, what makes Israel a fascist regime on the level of Assad's Syria or Saddam's Iraq, despite there being far less casualties and zero use of biochemical weapons? It's easy to condemn Israel while living in a comfortable western country, never knowing war nor having neighbours like the aforementioned tyrants.
__________________
If I now say "dominoes", you won't think "pizza". Will you? - FireGarden on the Middle East
NWO Sentryman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 02:40 PM   #71
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 34,000
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
You don't believe that I think the expulsion of the Syrian population of Golan and the usurpation and resettlement of its land can't be justified by the any crimes committed by the Syrian régime?

Nonsense. I don't find your statement in the least credible.

This is pure imperialism. Back in the nineteenth century, the removal of peoples from their lands and their replacement by Europesn settlers was "justified" by the claim that the previous rulers of these lands were naked tyrants and savages. What if they were? This is the same stuff.
It's not the same stuff at all. The justification for taking the Golan is entirely different from the imperialist fantasy you lay out above.

During the Six Day War, Syria mistakenly thought that Egypt was winning, and that Israel was vulnerable. For this reason, they launched their own imperialist war of aggression against Israel, from the Golan Heights. This was a strategically valuable point along the Israel-Syria border. As long as it was in Syrian possession, the Golan placed Israel at increased risk from its belligerent neighbors.

But even though Israel launched a preemptive strike against Egypt to start the Six-Day war, it made no move against Syria. It was not until after Syria initiated hostilities that Israel responded by taking the Golan.

The Israeli occupation of the Golan was a military necessity, brought about by Syria's unjustified attack on Israel. Syria could perhaps have regained the Golan after the war, through diplomatic means, but they were not entitled to it. They lost that entitlement the day they resorted to open war with Israel.

Interestingly enough, Israel returned all of the Egyptian territory it captured during the Six Day War. But their war with Egypt had been started by Israel. And apparently Egypt had better diplomats than Syria.

Syria, on the other hand, deserved no such privileges. If Syrian citizens were displaced from the Golan, that is the fault of the Syrian government. If they were concerned about losing strategically important border territory to Israel, the Syrians should not have started a war with Israel in the first place, or else taken more care to actually win it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 02:48 PM   #72
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,520
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
I'm not astonished you brought it up. It's the example always given as evidence that this sort of thing was going on all the time.

The Dreyfus affair resulted in the exoneration of Dreyfuss, but more importantly an uproar erupted across Europe against the French Government and officer class, and a classic work - J'Accuse - laid out the modern European position. One in which this sort of behaviour was no longer acceptable.

It's kind of a glass half full/half empty issue. Dreyfus was convicted at court marshal, twice.

Yeah, it's great that so many French people stood up for him, but they stood up against all of those other French people who wanted to railroad him. Saying that only one side of those people are representative and that we shouldn't pay attention to the other half is deliberately choosing not to look at the whole picture.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 03:38 PM   #73
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,979
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
What misdeed on the part of the UK government would justify my being thrown out of my home and country?
Using your immediate area as a staging ground to arbitrarily launch a war of conquest against a neighboring country (yes, yes, the UK doesn't quite have direct neighbors but if Scotland split off and you lived in a neighboring area to the ensuing border, that would work for setting) and then losing badly works just fine. War is a serious move at a national level and will generally have very real effects on the people of the involved nations, whether for good or for ill.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 15th May 2016 at 03:53 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 03:56 PM   #74
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,093
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Your rant is, then, all about taking a side against Israel.
They're doing industrialized murder in the form of a spectator sport. How would you not take a side against that?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 15th May 2016 at 03:59 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 03:57 PM   #75
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,093
Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
Because Assad is still a thing, while Saddam slightly less so. Meanwhile, their Fascist ideology Baathism is still prevalent in the Middle East.

So then, what makes Israel a fascist regime on the level of Assad's Syria or Saddam's Iraq, despite there being far less casualties and zero use of biochemical weapons? It's easy to condemn Israel while living in a comfortable western country, never knowing war nor having neighbours like the aforementioned tyrants.
General Syria/Iraq discussion thread is over there -->
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 04:10 PM   #76
Giz
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,339
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post

No, they weren't. Some were left-wingers on the lam after the failed 1905 revolution (among them Ben Gurion, who said he'd never experienced anti-semitism at home) but most were young enthusiasts with allowances looking for a cause - and most of those went back home when they found it was hard. The rest were horrified to find the Holy Land filled with "foreigners" - the term they always used for the Palestinians, echoing Ezrah who found "foreigners in the Land" and threw them out on his return from Babylon, but you'll know all about that. And they called their settlements "colonies", if there's still any doubt about who were the invaders

The Russians had 400 years to kill all its Jews and lessons on mass murder from the Mongols etched into their cultural narrative : do you really think it would require modern industry? A reasonably industrious and biddable population - which the Russians have always had - could get it done in a decade at most.

And yet they didn't. Nobody did, or tried to, until the uniquely appalling Holocaust.
.
Minimizing the pogroms. Good job, you'd minimized Dreyfus (proves that not all French people were antisemitic), minimized the holocaust (a historical freak occurrence), you only needed to minimize the effect of centuries of pogroms on Jewish life to complete your anti-Semite bingo card.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 04:17 PM   #77
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,345
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Minimizing the pogroms. Good job, you'd minimized Dreyfus (proves that not all French people were antisemitic), minimized the holocaust (a historical freak occurrence), you only needed to minimize the effect of centuries of pogroms on Jewish life to complete your anti-Semite bingo card.
Yea, right out of the anti-semetic playbook. We've seen this all before- it shouldn't even be surprising.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 04:49 PM   #78
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,067
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
They're doing industrialized murder in the form of a spectator sport. How would you not take a side against that?
The Palestinians cheered when 9/11 happened. You have taken sides with that.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 05:18 PM   #79
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,293
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The Palestinians cheered when 9/11 happened. You have taken sides with that.


__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2016, 07:17 PM   #80
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,093
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The Palestinians cheered when 9/11 happened.
It must be sad when all you have to cheer for is some people hijacking a plane and flying it into a building, rather than such a nice spectacle Israel regularly provides its citizens.

Quote:
You have taken sides with that.
Evidence?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.