ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th July 2016, 01:55 PM   #1
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Firearms subforum?

Just a suggestion... There are so many gun-related threads in the social issues & current events forum that you'd think that was the only issue out there. While I occasionally enjoy a good firearm-related throw-down (), I often want to find something completely different. How would TPTB feel about spinning up a subforum just for all the pro/anti-gun folks to hurl effluvia at each other?
Old 21st July 2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Greedo
Too weird to live, too rare to die

There'd certainly be more threads than in Trials and Errors.
Old 21st July 2016, 04:28 PM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

This has been discussed several times in FM. Examples
Proposal: sub-forum for gun issues
Firearm threads in SI&CE
Sub-forum for the gun debate?
Please Create a New Subforum

Each time it has had several people say "yes we want it" yet it has never happened.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Ranb
Philosopher

Is it too much to ask for a gun politics sub-forum and a gun hobbies sub-forum?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

Ranb
Yes, to "guns 'n politics" with a caveat. I worry that it becomes a ghetto. There are many current events threads where the topic of guns, controlled or not, are very appropriate to the discussion. It's not difficult to imagine dozens of posts saying "Reported. Off-topic. Take it to the Guns/No-Guns sub-forum." And there are people on both sides of the debate who will use it to stifle legitimate discussion.

No, to Gun Hobbbyist. I'd be in favor of a "Hobbies" sub-forum, and gunzies could start threads in there, but a whole sub-forum to guns? Then the gardening crowd demands their sub-forum, and the knitting crowd and the modelers, etc...

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2016, 04:29 AM   #6
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I think it's a great idea, but I would request a feature where I could filter out threads that begin with "Responsible gun owner."
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:03 AM   #7
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Guns and firearms should be banned from the forums.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Emily's Cat

It's private property. They'd be well within their rights to prohibit us from carrying firearms onto the board
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:58 AM   #9
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I think it's a great idea, but I would request a feature where I could filter out threads that begin with "Responsible gun owner."
You're no fun!

As one of the usual suspects in firearms related threads, I can see where a subforum might be useful, but for the most part the SICE is completely appropriate for the purpose.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Emily's Cat

I agree that SICE is the approriate place for gun discussions. I even take part in them once in a while! My suggestion is only because there are soooooooo many of them. Sometimes I don't want to blather about firearms, but it can be hard to sift through them all to find anything else.

I liken it to the 2016 US Presidential Election subforum in USA Politics. It's not that it's not the right area, it's just that this one topic buries everything else
Old 22nd July 2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Joey McGee
Banned

There is a 9/11 subforum for the same reason.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2016, 04:37 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
No, to Gun Hobbbyist. I'd be in favor of a "Hobbies" sub-forum, and gunzies could start threads in there, but a whole sub-forum to guns? Then the gardening crowd demands their sub-forum, and the knitting crowd and the modelers, etc...
I agree with this. I don't think we don't want to be creating subforums for specific interests. Otherwise, where would we stop? I can see us years down the track with a million special interest subforums, each of which have two regular posters.
Old 22nd July 2016, 05:08 PM   #13
Pope130
Master Poster

I think the creation of a new sub-forum should be based on an assessment of how much a single subject has taken over an existing forum. Good examples of this are the separation of the "USA Politics" and "Non-USA and General Politics" fora, and the creation of the "911" sub-forum in "Conspiracy Theories".

When a single topic takes up most of the first page for an extended period, consideration should be made to separating it. If a sub-forum becomes moribund it can be re-incorporated into it's parent forum.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:29 PM   #14
fuelair
Suspended

Would irresponsible gun owner be o.k.? (Enquirer minds you know!!!)
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2016, 05:33 AM   #15
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I agree with this. I don't think we don't want to be creating subforums for specific interests. Otherwise, where would we stop? I can see us years down the track with a million special interest subforums, each of which have two regular posters.
I think if a subject generates substantial interest and multiple ongoing threads, a subforum is worth looking at. If activity slows and stops after a while, it can always be closed down and threads put back in SI&CE. Guns certainly qualify; they've generated substantial interest and multiple threads pretty much since the forum first opened.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Emily's Cat

I'm wondering if maybe this needs to be moved to a different location, maybe Forum Management Feedback? We don't seem to have received any attention from TPTB
Old 26th July 2016, 12:30 PM   #17
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm wondering if maybe this needs to be moved to a different location, maybe Forum Management Feedback? We don't seem to have received any attention from TPTB
The request has been made a number of times, it's always been denied. I doubt that's going to change.
Old 26th July 2016, 04:53 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I think if a subject generates substantial interest and multiple ongoing threads, a subforum is worth looking at. If activity slows and stops after a while, it can always be closed down and threads put back in SI&CE. Guns certainly qualify; they've generated substantial interest and multiple threads pretty much since the forum first opened.
If, as someone said earlier, it starts overwhelming everything else in SI&CE, like 9/11 did for CT way back, then yes, I think that a subforum would be warranted. I don't look at individual subforums (only the User CP and New Posts screens) so I don't know if that is happening.
Old 27th July 2016, 06:02 AM   #19
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
If, as someone said earlier, it starts overwhelming everything else in SI&CE, like 9/11 did for CT way back, then yes, I think that a subforum would be warranted. I don't look at individual subforums (only the User CP and New Posts screens) so I don't know if that is happening.
Currently, there's only a couple, but there are times when there can be half a dozen or more* gun threads hovering near the top of the front page.

* I'm going from memory here, I have no way to substantiate AFAIK
Old 27th July 2016, 11:22 AM   #20
eerok
Quixoticist

I'm not in favor of such fine-grained splintering into sub-fora. The benefits aren't clear, and as Foolmewunz suggested above, it encourages gamesmanship.

I have good luck with the JKS strategy of thread content management. When I encounter posts that are irrelevant or annoying, I Just Keep Scrolling.
Old 2nd October 2016, 07:36 PM   #21
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

Ranb
Yes...I think it is too much to ask.

#1. Gun Politics are Politics. They essentially are about the use of force to achieve ends and so are not that much different from any other type of politics,

#2 I would welcome a gun-hobbies Thread in the sports forum. There are a lot of cool things about guns and riflery and pistol craft, etc....that can be discussed. Oh...and I would love it. Please, someone do it! But it does not need a specific forum or sub-forum.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 08:53 PM   #22
stanfr
Graduate Poster

I want a swimming pool forum. Clothing optional...
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:18 AM   #23
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
Yes...I think it is too much to ask.
Hmm. I wasn't really asking you, but your opinion is noted

#1. Gun Politics are Politics. They essentially are about the use of force to achieve ends and so are not that much different from any other type of politics,
Presidential elections are not really different from any other type of politics either... and yet there is a subforum for that. I'm not suggesting an entirely new forum, just a subforum, to accommodate the high volume of threads on this topic that can make it a challenge to find discussions on other topics.
Old 3rd October 2016, 07:28 PM   #24
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

As long as we're bumping a semi-moribund thread, why not look at the third post in this thread. This was written back in July and cross-references to discussions over the years.

I'd say the lack of attention by the PTB pretty well answers the OP.

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This has been discussed several times in FM. Examples
Proposal: sub-forum for gun issues
Firearm threads in SI&CE
Sub-forum for the gun debate?
Please Create a New Subforum

Each time it has had several people say "yes we want it" yet it has never happened.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:19 PM   #25
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
As long as we're bumping a semi-moribund thread, why not look at the third post in this thread. This was written back in July and cross-references to discussions over the years.

I'd say the lack of attention by the PTB pretty well answers the OP.
Why not create a thread in the sports forum? Would that be bad?
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:47 PM   #26
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Why not create a thread in the sports forum? Would that be bad?
For which sport? Accidentally killing your offspring or shooting your spouse in a fit of rage aren't actually sports in most places.

The actual shooting sports have a following of roughly zero. Hell, we can't even get a good NCAA Basketball permanent thread going. I sincerely doubt there are enough fans of competitive shooting, but anyone's free to start such a thread if they want.

As I said, there are recreational shooters and gun collectors who'd probably feel at home in a "hobbyist" sort of sub-forum, but there's really nothing preventing them from starting that in Forum Community. There have been threads there for other hobbies/interests. That's sort of what that sub-forum's for.

Old 4th October 2016, 09:28 PM   #27
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Hmm. I wasn't really asking you, but your opinion is noted

Presidential elections are not really different from any other type of politics either.
They are more like Reality TV than any other politics
Old 5th October 2016, 09:54 AM   #28
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
They are more like Reality TV than any other politics
I agree that they're Reality TV most of the time. I'd argue that the current US presidential election is a little bit *more* Reality TV though. I don't think even the polarization around firearms can overshadow the Trump Show.
Old 5th October 2016, 10:24 AM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

I suggest you post first and ask questions later.
Old 5th October 2016, 02:41 PM   #30
Emily's Cat

I don't understand your post. I've posted in plenty of the firearms threads. Not all of them (I run out of stamina), but several. I posted in many of them prior to suggesting a subforum. Maybe you mean something else?

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics