ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:21 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Boob Seagull statue has outraged folks in Massachusetts

New Bedford, Massachusetts has a new statue of a gull wearing a dress and she has boobs. I guess it's officially called "Seagull Cinderella", but Boob Seagull is being used too. I'm not sure if there is any public art that will not evoke some kind of resentment and actions to have it removed.

Originally Posted by Boston Globe
Not everyone in New Bedford is loving the statue of a giant seagull installed along the waterfront. An online petition seeking to have the piece removed cites the sculpture’s female figure.

Called “Seagull Cinderella,” the sculpture was created by Boston artist Donna Dodson and is among 20 or so works of art that have been installed in recent months as part of the New Bedford Seaport Artwalk.

But resident Ray Concannon isn’t a fan and he’s initiated a petition to have it removed. Concannon’s petition is headlined “Remove the Seagull with Boobs Statue in Downtown New Bedford.”

“This is art, it’s just bad art,” he says, calling the 9-foot-tall sculpture an “eyesore.” Concannon insists he isn’t bothered by the female form, adding “The David and Venus de Milo and other nude art can be very beautiful.” But he questions why New Bedford, whose famous denizens have included Frederick Douglass and Herman Melville, would want to celebrate that history “with a seagull with large human breasts.”...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...lMJ/story.html
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you have to fill your weekly outrage quota, this is as good as anything.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Well, this is *********** stupid.
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:53 AM   #4
CORed
Philosopher

I'm not offended by the mammaries (though certainly out of place on a bird) but that thing is ugly.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 08:55 AM   #5
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Meh, while it won't ever be a favorite sculpture for me it's miles ahead of the cookie cutter bronze civil war statues that every town up here bought around the turn of the 20th century. Looking at some of the artists other work it seems to be her thing to sculpt animal headed human female figures.
http://www.bostonsculptors.com/donna...hmav2p5e7he7x5
http://zine.artscopemagazine.com/201...rd-art-museum/
http://donnadodsonartist.blogspot.com/
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Peterson
Critical Thinker

I find it hard to believe that it's the boobs they find objectionable. Without the the boobs it would be even worse.

Peterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Jrrarglblarg

The best part of this awkward and amateurish looking civic art is the pallet on which it stands.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:17 AM   #8
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Well, you have to fill your weekly outrage quota, this is as good as anything.
In fact, it is a better, less harmful, target than most! Strange to me that anyone would even care, beyond thinking on first seeing it- "Okay amusing" or "Eh, ugly." Bothering to start an anti-campaign? Is this the kind of spare time I can look forward to in retirement?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:48 AM   #9
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
The best part of this awkward and amateurish looking civic art is the pallet on which it stands.
Notice the construction cone in the bottom left corner. The picture was taken when the statue had just been delivered and is awaiting placement on a yet to be constructed stand.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:56 AM   #10
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Perhaps he fears someone will vandalize it by adding nipples to the boobs.
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:58 AM   #11
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Thanks Obama
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:13 AM   #12
Mark6
Philosopher

This is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. And yes, without boobs it would be even worse.
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:19 AM   #13
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Perhaps he fears someone will vandalize it by adding nipples to the boobs.
Hell, my first thought was "needs nipples". So, yeah...
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:20 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

St Boobs Seagull, 8th century, Denmark. St Boobs Seagull was a Danish princess who tried to feed the poor. When her wicked pagan husband tried to stop her, her loaves of bread were miraculously transformed into doom robots which laid waste to Jutland. After her martyrdom via being boiled in applesauce, St Boobs Seagull was canonized by Pope Lester II and made patron saint of wigs, lace doilies, and tumor registry regulatory commissions. St Boobs Seagull has been credited with over forty miracles, including an unscheduled eclipse of the moon, a rain of blood, a levitating cow, and a quill pen that never ran dry of ink. Folk legend has it that if unmarried girls pray to St Boobs Seagull at night they will eventually fall asleep.
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:22 AM   #15
Modified
Philosopher

The seagull's boobs are average sized at best.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:32 AM   #16
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Looks like a giant character from some toddlers TV show or something. Could be much improved with creative vandalism.
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:38 AM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
I find it hard to believe that it's the boobs they find objectionable. Without the the boobs it would be even worse.
That's a good idea for a counter-petition.

"KEEP THE BOOB SEAGULL STATUE: Without the boobs it would be a bad statue. SIGN HERE."
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:42 AM   #18
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone for crowdfunding to set up a partner for her? We could call him Dick?

Old 2nd August 2016, 11:56 AM   #19
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Kitsch Art at it's best!!!!! Keep it!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:01 PM   #20
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brando...b_4013483.html but they show other aspects mostly - this would be folk kitsch!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:19 PM   #21
Pup
Philosopher

This statue is upsetting to children, who will ask, do seagulls really nurse their young? And parents will have to explain about mammals and egg-laying birds. That isn't a conversation that parents should be forced to have, based on public art. It should come when children are ready. Won't someone think of the children?
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:47 PM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Kitsch Art at it's best!!!!! Keep it!!!
One might argue that it is more camp than it is kitsch.
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:55 PM   #23
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
The seagull's boobs are average sized at best.
No they are much bigger than the average seagull's boobs.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:58 PM   #24
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
One might argue that it is more camp than it is kitsch.
I could go that way also.

Wash this space!

Old 2nd August 2016, 01:19 PM   #25
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Reminds me of what a group of little kids, not including me, of course, did one winter to some snowmen and women around what looked like, but wasn't, my neighborhood.
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:26 PM   #26
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Reminds me of what a group of little kids, not including me, of course, did one winter to some snowmen and women around what looked like, but wasn't, my neighborhood.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/calvin.html

Last edited by TheGoldcountry; 2nd August 2016 at 01:27 PM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:33 PM   #27
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Is it midnight yet?
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 01:50 PM   #28
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pup View Post
This statue is upsetting to children, who will ask, do seagulls really nurse their young? And parents will have to explain about mammals and egg-laying birds. That isn't a conversation that parents should be forced to have, based on public art. It should come when children are ready. Won't someone think of the children?
"No little Janie, birds don't nurse their young, they just barf their own breakfast down their offspring's gullets."
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 02:00 PM   #29
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Not only should the statue remain but I would want to support installing as many statues as this artist wants to make.

It's not that I particularly like the statue (truth be told, I really don't like it at all) but I despise anyone who campaigns against art. **** that dude and the statue of a horse he rode in on.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 02:21 PM   #30
Pup
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
**** that dude and the statue of a horse he rode in on.
You made me picture this statue.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 02:28 PM   #31
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

One of my favorite (yet horrifying) avatars here.
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:04 PM   #32
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

It sort-of captures his soul, doesn't it? And the horse's too.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:18 PM   #33
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I've heard there's a motor in that so the head spins and the eyes flash at night.
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:49 PM   #34
Pup
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've heard there's a motor in that so the head spins and the eyes flash at night.
But what they don't dare tell: there's no motor.
Old 2nd August 2016, 03:51 PM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

But what they don't dare tell: there's no motor.
Stop trying to scare people. There is a motor, a regular old motor, powered by human blood the statue sucks from its victims. No need to be all mysterious and horrifying about it.
Old 2nd August 2016, 04:38 PM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

If you value your sanity, do not, I repeat DO NOT search for Denver Airport Horse Statue.
Old 2nd August 2016, 05:13 PM   #37
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
If you value your sanity, do not, I repeat DO NOT search for Denver Airport Horse Statue.
That one can not only teleport, but distort space so it can fit into places smaller than itself.

It's behind you right now.
Old 2nd August 2016, 05:14 PM   #38
TheGoldcountry
Illuminator

What a nightmare. Just say neigh.
Old 2nd August 2016, 07:12 PM   #39
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Some people sure did better marine art.

Last known location Monterrey Ca.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sea%20Horse%20.01.jpg (73.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (74.1 KB, 8 views)
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2016, 07:29 PM   #40
Jrrarglblarg

We call him Bluecifer.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events