IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 5th August 2022, 11:36 AM   #921
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I swear to non-existent Sonny Jesus if the courts actually gave Jones's team access to medical records to prove they were actually real dead children and not crisis actors, if the goddamn conspiracy theory was actually treated as viable argument court that the opposing side deserved facts to refute, I'm not going to be in a good place about it.
Old 5th August 2022, 11:46 AM   #922
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
Why/How does Jones have medical records of Sandy Hook Families?
same way he got a in-depth report on the them. he hired a private eye to snoop on them.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 12:41 PM   #923
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete
Old 5th August 2022, 12:43 PM   #924
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I hate Alex Jones,and it pains me to say it, but he might actually have legit grounds for an appeall on the grounds he had incompetent lawyers.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 12:46 PM   #925
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I hate Alex Jones,and it pains me to say it, but he might actually have legit grounds for an appeall on the grounds he had incompetent lawyers.
Nope. You have no right to counsel in a civil matter, hence no Constitutional assurance of effectiveness of counsel. The best he can do is sue the law firm and recover as much of the damages from them as he thinks he can convince a different jury they cost him.

Last edited by JayUtah; 5th August 2022 at 12:50 PM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 01:55 PM   #926
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Nope. You have no right to counsel in a civil matter, hence no Constitutional assurance of effectiveness of counsel. The best he can do is sue the law firm and recover as much of the damages from them as he thinks he can convince a different jury they cost him.
This.
Old 5th August 2022, 02:05 PM   #927
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

With our luck Jones will sue his lawyers and end up winning more (because they caused damage to his supposedly valuable reputation) than he has to pay out to the sandy hook families.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 02:55 PM   #928
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

And $45 million punitive damages.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...dy-hook-family
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:01 PM   #929
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

For that amount he will go into revision, just to delay having to pay.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:03 PM   #930
sackett
Philosopher

How long before Bluto starts screaming that his lawyers conspired againt him? How long before he unmasks their rôle in the Deep State's fiendish plan to darken the light of True Truth?

I'm just asking questions.

Another question: why do I feel queasy whenever this guy comes along?

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:08 PM   #931
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
How long before Bluto starts screaming that his lawyers conspired againt him?
Roger Stone has been making that claim for the past couple hours.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:13 PM   #932
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And let the whining from Jones begin.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:17 PM   #933
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Ooof ..
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:29 PM   #934
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

And let the whining from Jones begin.
Roger Stone is already imploring Jones' followers to send him money because Jones has been so poorly treated and needs our financial help. The "I'm the real victim here" story is already out there. Kinda reminds me of Justice Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings.
Old 5th August 2022, 03:32 PM   #935
sackett
Philosopher

More like

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Ooof ..
Woolp! Grollock! Spatoo!

Please remember to flush.

sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:38 PM   #936
sackett
Philosopher

Sorry if I express myself about this in such visceral terms, but my reaction really is visceral: I feel an urge to throw up.

Old 5th August 2022, 03:43 PM   #937
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Sorry if I express myself about this in such visceral terms, but my reaction really is visceral: I feel an urge to throw up.
As do we all. But wipe your tears and your mouth and revel in the fact that the judge has ruled that she doesn't have authority to redact or restrict the further dissemination of the contents of Jones' phone dump. Defendant waved privilege pretrial, and did not object at trial, thus depriving her of any point of alleged privilege upon which to rule. It is effectively plaintiffs' property do with as they please.

That means both the Congressional January 6th Committee and law enforcement will have an unfettered look into Alex Jones' dealings with others, and into his possible criminal activity.
Old 5th August 2022, 03:55 PM   #938
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Alex Jones was hit with a $45 Million punitive award. Good. Hope he loses everything.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 03:57 PM   #939
angrysoba
Philosophile

Jones has demonstrated how he behaves in court and, in the larger sense, during the conduct of a trial. Potential plaintiff's counsels are likely taking note. All they have to do is persevere and Jones will shoot himself in the foot and hand them a guaranteed win.

As with Orange Monstrosity, fewer and fewer defense firms will be willing to defend him. And the quality of that defense will continue to diminish as he starts to rely more on cut-rate, marginally-competent defenders.
Is that even possible?

I can't wait to see what idiocy is coming next then....
Old 5th August 2022, 04:00 PM   #940
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Alex Jones is not having a good week.
Old 5th August 2022, 04:03 PM   #941
Rolfe
Adult human female

I'm reading that this award is only to one set of parents, and that two more sets are either waiting in the wings with similar cases, or have them underway already. (Why only three? I thought he went after all the victims' families?)

I hope they get the money, little enough compensation as it is for what they suffered. And I hope the other parents get similar. And I hope so much money comes flooding in from the deluded that Jones will actually have to pay the lot rather than go bankrupt.
Old 5th August 2022, 04:04 PM   #942
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Alex Jones was hit with a $45 Million punitive award. Good. Hope he loses everything.

Best news I've heard all week!
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 04:17 PM   #943
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
And $45 million punitive damages.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...dy-hook-family
That's a lot better than the ~4 million compensation (although still below what was asked for).

Does anyone know why the amount is so much more than the "twice the damages" figure that we had heard about (a figure I had heard on various newscasts and read about)? I didn't see any mention of that in your referenced article.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 04:19 PM   #944
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Quote:
As with Orange Monstrosity, fewer and fewer defense firms will be willing to defend him. And the quality of that defense will continue to diminish as he starts to rely more on cut-rate, marginally-competent defenders.
Is that even possible?

Does Rudy Guilliani have a license to practice law in Texas? (I can guarantee he won't text files to the plaintiff's team. Instead he will pocket dial them. Much more entertaining.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 5th August 2022, 04:34 PM   #945
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I'm reading that this award is only to one set of parents, and that two more sets are either waiting in the wings with similar cases, or have them underway already. (Why only three? I thought he went after all the victims' families?)

I hope they get the money, little enough compensation as it is for what they suffered. And I hope the other parents get similar. And I hope so much money comes flooding in from the deluded that Jones will actually have to pay the lot rather than go bankrupt.
I thought there were three...(Four total) And Alex Jones defaulted on all four. It's just a matter of counting up the total.
Old 5th August 2022, 05:02 PM   #946
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Roger Stone is already imploring Jones' followers to send him money because Jones has been so poorly treated and needs our financial help. The "I'm the real victim here" story is already out there. Kinda reminds me of Justice Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings.
Well I could understand 'I am real victim here' .. but here we have 'He is the real victim here' .. how can someone still support this guy ? Where do these people stand ? Is it '40M is too much' .. 'he should be allowed to say that' or ' Sandy Hook indeed didn't happen' ? I'm confused.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 05:14 PM   #947
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Does anyone know why the amount is so much more than the "twice the damages" figure that we had heard about (a figure I had heard on various newscasts and read about)? I didn't see any mention of that in your referenced article.
Juries are not informed of caps on damages. They can award whatever amount they see fit. But the damages the court actually assesses will be capped according to statute.
Old 5th August 2022, 05:16 PM   #948
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Is that even possible?

It has something to do with Trump having a history of trying to get out of paying his attorneys.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2022, 05:19 PM   #949
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Stone seems to be alone among the high level Trumpers in his support of Jones. Trump dumped Jones as being too toxic and outlived his usefulness a long time ago.
In fact it is amazing how many right wing GOPers who were flirting with Jones a couple of years ago now seem never to have heard of him....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2022, 06:11 PM   #950
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post

Best news I've heard all week!
Unfortunately i understand now thst Texas law limits punitive damages to $750K per plaintiff. So 1.5 million. Or 5.6 million on this case in total. The judge is not happy with the law. She has not yet reduced the award, but said that she would follow Texas statutes.
Old 5th August 2022, 06:29 PM   #951
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Juries are not informed of caps on damages. They can award whatever amount they see fit. But the damages the court actually assesses will be capped according to statute.
So in effect, what is the cap?

Jones's laywer claims that it is $750,000 per plaintiff, but Reuters doesn't say whether that is true or not.

I wish Reuters would let some other lawyer comment on that.

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...es-2022-08-05/
Old 5th August 2022, 06:32 PM   #952
angrysoba
Philosophile

Stone seems to be alone among the high level Trumpers in his support of Jones. Trump dumped Jones as being too toxic and outlived his usefulness a long time ago.
In fact it is amazing how many right wing GOPers who were flirting with Jones a couple of years ago now seem never to have heard of him....
There are still some like MTG and Jack Posobiec who are still boosting Alex Jones.

David Hogg is sending his "deep thoughts and prayers".
Old 5th August 2022, 06:35 PM   #953
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It may not be a lot of money for Jones, but I am happy for the plaintiffs, because $4 million is still a lot for normal people. They might get as much as $12 million, minus whatever legal fees they owe. I thought it was twice the economic damages, but Reuters says it's capped at $750,000 per plaintiff.
Old 5th August 2022, 06:36 PM   #954
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So in effect, what is the cap?
Apparently no one knows for sure. Welcome to statutory meddling in the judicial process.
Old 5th August 2022, 06:53 PM   #955
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Unfortunately i understand now thst Texas law limits punitive damages to $750K per plaintiff. So 1.5 million. Or 5.6 million on this case in total. The judge is not happy with the law. She has not yet reduced the award, but said that she would follow Texas statutes.
This could be appealed and claimed that the TX law is unconstitutional.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 07:15 PM   #956
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This could be appealed and claimed that the TX law is unconstitutional.
Unconstitutional? US Constitution or Texas Constitution? Do you know what part of either it might violate?
Old 5th August 2022, 08:24 PM   #957
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

They aren't? That sucks.

Maybe that is why the initial 4 million was so low... Jury thought plaintiffs deserved more but thought they could make it up on punitive damages.

Hopefully the publicity will mean next time the jury will award more in compensatory damages.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Old 5th August 2022, 08:55 PM   #958
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Now will Jones actually pay?

Quote:
After already ordering him to pay $4.1m to the parents of a child killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting, the jury hearing the defamation case against far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones over his falsehoods about the massacre told him to surrender another $45.2m to the grieving family who sued him.
Alex Jones ordered to pay $45.2m in punitive damages to Sandy Hook family
Old 5th August 2022, 09:24 PM   #959
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It may not be a lot of money for Jones, but I am happy for the plaintiffs, because $4 million is still a lot for normal people. They might get as much as $12 million, minus whatever legal fees they owe. I thought it was twice the economic damages, but Reuters says it's capped at $750,000 per plaintiff.
But the real damage is to Jones rep. He has lost any chance he ever had of getting a mainstrem following.
And this is only the first lawusit. there are other.
I also think it might make the Jones wannabes think twice.
Where Jones made his mistake was not in spreading conspiracy crap, but in going after the victim's parents.That was a huge mistake.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2022, 09:37 PM   #960
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You are right, though my post was more a comment on how inept his lawyers were then anything else.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories