ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ISF

Old 5th October 2016, 06:14 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

What is ISF's "Mission"?

It just occurred to me that The Repository gives its description as: A section of articles relating to the forum and its mission...

Does anyone have a clue as to what that mission is?
Old 5th October 2016, 06:15 PM   #2
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

We bring the derp.
Old 5th October 2016, 06:37 PM   #3
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
The Internet: the final frontier. These are the threads of the International Skeptics forum. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new nonsense, to seek out new evidence and new arguments, to boldly gab where no one has gabbed before.
Old 5th October 2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

To free Amanda Knox.

Seriously, I wonder how much the forum's numbers would be affected by banning that topic?
Old 5th October 2016, 06:59 PM   #5
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
To free Amanda Knox.

Seriously, I wonder how much the forum's numbers would be affected by banning that topic?
In the current thread, there are 15 people with more than 20 posts. There are 23 people with more than 8 posts. So, not too much.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

We don't need no stinking "mission".
Old 5th October 2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Jrrarglblarg

To free Amanda Knox.

People I've never seen anywhere else in the forum post there. It's creepy. I stay out.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2016, 07:54 PM   #8
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
People I've never seen anywhere else in the forum post there. It's creepy. I stay out.
Yea? Sounds like fun. Is it too late to care one way or the other?
Old 5th October 2016, 08:03 PM   #9
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

As long as ISF's mission isn't to promote the missionary position, I'm good.
Old 5th October 2016, 08:17 PM   #10
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

You want to be a missionary?
You got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life
How’s that make you feel?
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2016, 08:20 PM   #11
stanfr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It just occurred to me that The Repository gives its description as: A section of articles relating to the forum and its mission...

what--you didn't know?? The ISF owns stock in mission foods:
http://www.missionmenus.com

Why do you think there are so many references to tortillas on this site?
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2016, 09:06 PM   #12
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

To free Amanda Knox.
Who?
Old 5th October 2016, 09:39 PM   #13
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I can't find it written anywhere. I'm sure it's a good mission or at least pretty good or at least okay.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2016, 03:57 AM   #14
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The mission of this forum is to educate me.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2016, 04:16 AM   #15
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The mission of this forum is to educate me.
This post will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck.
Old 7th October 2016, 08:04 AM   #16
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

The mission: to bring skeptics together with kooks so that they may make fun of one another.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2016, 05:22 PM   #17
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I'm sorry but don't we have to have a vision before we can define or mission?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2016, 06:12 PM   #18
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Hey, I'm asking the questions here!

What's your vision? Do we need 'shrooms yet?
Old 8th October 2016, 06:29 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure The Last Prophet has some visions. Perhaps we should ask him, or his representative here.
Old 8th October 2016, 06:43 PM   #20
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
It smells like cats.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2016, 11:04 PM   #21
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm pretty sure that statement about "the forum and its mission" (like the whole Repository section) predates the rebranding and relates only to the JREF. Hence, it can be considered historical and no longer relevant.
Old 8th October 2016, 11:51 PM   #22
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I'm pretty sure that statement about "the forum and its mission" (like the whole Repository section) predates the rebranding and relates only to the JREF. Hence, it can be considered historical and no longer relevant.
Thank you, Captain Obvious!

That's why I started the thread: What is ISF's "mission"?

I don't believe there is one.
Old 8th October 2016, 11:53 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

That's why I started the thread: What is ISF's "mission"?

I don't believe there is one.
Not as far as I know. Do you think it needs one?
Old 9th October 2016, 12:06 AM   #24
asydhouse
Master Poster

Mission? Derision and bitchin', mostly, it seems… with occasional visions and a sprinkling of fishin's from flatulant chris'ians.
Old 9th October 2016, 05:47 PM   #25
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Not as far as I know. Do you think it needs one?
Nope.

Simple answer would be to remove the words from the forum.
Old 10th October 2016, 12:52 AM   #26
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Nope.

Simple answer would be to remove the words from the forum.
They're part of the historical archive. Why would you want to censor history?
Old 10th October 2016, 02:11 AM   #27
Dani
Master Poster

The Mission is some number other than 42.
Dani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2016, 02:31 AM   #28
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

As always, should any member of the ISF be caught or killed, the moderators will disavow any knowledge of their actions.
Old 13th October 2016, 07:58 AM   #29
kali1137
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
The Internet: the final frontier. These are the threads of the International Skeptics forum. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new nonsense, to seek out new evidence and new arguments, to boldly gab where no one has gabbed before.
This right here is the best. I can get behind this mission. I can also get behind staying away from Amanda Knox threads.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2016, 07:01 PM   #30
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
We bring the derp.
So far, this works best. It's accurate, pithy, and easy to remember.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 08:26 AM   #31
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

To free Amanda Knox.

To discuss Hillary Clinton's emails.

(Funny how so many "sceptics" get themselves so vexed over a particular issue being debated on "their" forum, eh....... )
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 04:11 PM   #32
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Q.E.D.
Old 8th November 2016, 10:37 AM   #33
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

I suggest we appoint a focus committee to brainstorm a new mission statement.
luchog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 11:31 AM   #34
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Mission?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE MISSION!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 12:31 PM   #35
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Sounds impossible to me, too.
Old 11th December 2016, 11:03 AM   #36
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
The mission: to bring skeptics together with kooks so that they may make fun of one another.
I think that this has always been part of the intent, but as far as missions go, it alone lacks crucial thinking...it is simple an ego driven, oneupmanship, illusion of gathering internet points which don;t actually exist. Nonetheless it serves as an antidote to ennui for the small-minded to battle in their silly mind-games..a good containment area for that aspect of human interactions.

I disagree. The impetus related to the intent of that connection is still viable.

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Pretty much this.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2016, 12:24 PM   #37
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

The Mission could include:

1) Promoting critical thinking.

2) Identifying questionable sources and developing skills in identifying questionable sources.

3) Educating about logical fallacies and how to identify them and avoid using them.

4) Extolling the virtues of critical thinking and evidence-based belief systems.

5) ...?

I think one of the reasons for declining usage is that the internet has so many more outlets now than it did years ago. Twitter, instagram, facebook...forums are kind of old-school now.

ISF could also become a repository for information and articles that debunks a lot of the nonsense found on these other platforms.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 12:23 PM   #38
icerat
Philosopher

Been thinking about this recently.

1) Promoting critical thinking

is it I think. Your other points all follow from that.
Old 14th December 2016, 01:30 PM   #39
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by icerat View Post

Of course, yes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be enumerated.

I bet a fair number of users would be willing to volunteer and write some articles and compile resources.
Old 16th December 2016, 03:53 AM   #40
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by icerat View Post

Welcome back from lurk status. Do you have any plans for this forum, such as promoting it? Or changing its "mission"? I hope you realise that the number of active users and posts have both gone down steadily from when you took it over. I can give you figures.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » International Skeptics