ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: ?
Single left button click 20 66.67%
Double left button click 3 10.00%
Single right button click 0 0%
Double right button click 1 3.33%
Middle button click 2 6.67%
Other 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th December 2016, 04:14 PM   #1
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Which mouse action should pause and resume video play ?

It's pretty obvious that the only correct answer is double left click.

El Greco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 04:25 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Single left click: the universal "do a thing" action.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 04:39 PM   #3
elgarak
Illuminator

Eh?

Spacebar...

Mouse means pointing, i.e., you have to move the pointer to the play/pause icon, then single-left-click to toggle play/pause. There should be no difference here than any other mouse action, to keep the UI consistent.

There is no need (and for me, there shouldn't be) a dedicated single mouse action. I mean, when would you need something like that? I often run video in a window somewhere, and do something else. What I do with my mouse shouldn't affect the video, unless I move the mouse cursor over to the player window. The only case where there COULD be something like a special mouse action is when the player is fullscreen, but to me that's not fundamentally different than the non-fullscreen mode.

Unless I misinterpret the question.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Left click, when pointer is over the pause/play button...

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 12:23 AM   #5
MetalPig
Master Poster

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
Mouse means pointing, i.e., you have to move the pointer to the play/pause icon, then single-left-click to toggle play/pause.
Not necessarily. On YouTube for example, you can click anywhere on the video to pause/resume.
Old 15th December 2016, 12:56 AM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Why on earth are you trying to use a mouse to control video playback?

Only Zuul.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 01:12 AM   #7
El Greco
Summer worshipper

From the answers so far I gather that people don't use a second monitor or a TV connected to PC to view videos or movies. It's the only explanation for all these wrong answers.

El Greco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 01:21 AM   #8
MetalPig
Master Poster

Originally Posted by El Greco View Post
From the answers so far I gather that people don't use a second monitor or a TV connected to PC to view videos or movies. It's the only explanation for all these wrong answers.
Why did you choose double click? Why is that better than single click?
Old 15th December 2016, 05:02 AM   #9
erwinl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Why did you choose double click? Why is that better than single click?
I presume one click to pause the video and the second click to resume it.
Old 15th December 2016, 05:31 AM   #10
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

I do, but my tv is in a different room than my pc, so any kind of mouse action would be inconvenient, I use my phone as a remote. And I don't see what double versus single clicking has to do with using a second monitor.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:04 AM   #11
elgarak
Illuminator

I do have a second monitor, and I've connected a PC to a TV for video playback in the past.

Don't see where it would be useful to break the UI conventions for that.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:08 AM   #12
elgarak
Illuminator

Not necessarily. On YouTube for example, you can click anywhere on the video to pause/resume.
You still need to have the mouse pointer on the video. If you have the mouse pointer somewhere else, you cannot do anything to the video.

Mouse = Pointing.

If you have the video fullscreen on the single screen, the mouse pointer points to the video anywhere by default.

If you have two monitors, you're in the same position with a fullscreen video as you were with a small video window. You need to move the pointer to the monitor where the video is playing.
Old 15th December 2016, 06:40 AM   #13
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

RLRR LRLL
Old 15th December 2016, 07:27 AM   #14
fuelair
Suspended

Mine does either with single left.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 07:52 AM   #15
catsmate
No longer the 1

Also the standard with Media Player Classic.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 08:22 AM   #16
ceptimus
puzzler

Right button Morse code. P .--. to pause, R .-. to resume.
Unless you are planning to put border controls on all of England's borders, including that with Wales and Scotland then as far as this debate is concerned England is a politically meaningless area to choose. - Lothian.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 11:23 AM   #17
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Ok, the reason that using just the keyboard for pausing is hopeless, is so obvious that I won't even discuss it.

Now, about clicking on the play/pause button: If you have a 60" TV with UHD resolution, good luck trying to find the play/pause button on whatever player you may be using and whatever skin that player has. The movie will be over by that time. Even more so if you are using an air mouse. You may be familiar with your own setup and preferred player but this is not an argument.

Now, about the single click play/pause, popularized by Youtube: There are often clickable items/buttons on a DVD movie or a Youtube video. You want the single click reserved for such cases.

The left double click is efficient, wholesome and ecological.

Old 15th December 2016, 12:55 PM   #18
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

If I'm watching something on my second monitor then I'm normally gaming as well, so single click is the obvious answer as it means I can flick across, pause and flick back to the game.

Double click I may as well flick across, click for focus and press the space bar, and that's just crazy talk
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:25 PM   #19
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Smile

It's pretty obvious that the only correct answer is double left click.
I doubt you're that sure, or you wouldn't have bothered with the poll. esp since you're wrong.

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
Eh?

Spacebar...
I've never seen a spacebar on a mouse.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 01:12 AM   #20
MetalPig
Master Poster

Left double click toggles full screen video, so that's taken.

I don't watch DVD's on my PC and clickable items in youtubes is not something I encouter often. But I imagine these things react to a double click the same way as to a single click.
Old 16th December 2016, 04:28 AM   #21
elgarak
Illuminator

Ok, the reason that using just the keyboard for pausing is hopeless, is so obvious that I won't even discuss it.

Now, about clicking on the play/pause button: If you have a 60" TV with UHD resolution, good luck trying to find the play/pause button on whatever player you may be using and whatever skin that player has. The movie will be over by that time. Even more so if you are using an air mouse. You may be familiar with your own setup and preferred player but this is not an argument.

Now, about the single click play/pause, popularized by Youtube: There are often clickable items/buttons on a DVD movie or a Youtube video. You want the single click reserved for such cases.

The left double click is efficient, wholesome and ecological.
As said, there are players (including youtube) that allow clicking on the video itself. No need to find the play/pause button, and I presume the buttons you don't wanna click are big. So you just need to point the mouse somewhere on the BIG video, and single-click.

Why dismissing the keyboard solution? Doesn't mean you MUST use the keyboard. You could map the key to a mouse action or button...
Old 19th December 2016, 08:45 PM   #22
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
RLRR LRLL
Single Paradiddles? I prefer a good flam paradiddle myself.
Old 19th December 2016, 08:48 PM   #23
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder

There are keyboards with specific audio and video control buttons on them.
Old 19th December 2016, 09:36 PM   #24
Roger Ramjets
Master Poster

The mouse should have a separate button just for pausing videos.

Due to technical issues only high voltage USB3 mice will be able to have this button, which is supported in Windows 11 (requirements:- 64 core CPU, 128GB RAM, 200TB SSD - more memory will improve performance). Support for mice with fewer buttons is deprecated.

Who am I kidding - in reality it has been decided to drop mouse support altogether, since cell phones don't have them and touch screens are so much easier to use...
Old 20th December 2016, 03:11 PM   #25
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Drs_Res View Post
There are keyboards with specific audio and video control buttons on them.
There are even remote controls that can handle PCs, a simple IR dongle in the front (or cunning mirror placement) and you're away. Getting something like a Logitech Harmony will let you have easy control of the entire system
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 02:06 AM   #26
MetalPig
Master Poster

Yeah I enjoy plugging my dongle in the front.
Old 21st December 2016, 02:02 PM   #27
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah I enjoy plugging my dongle in the front.
It was often awkward and occasionally messy plugging it back.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 02:04 PM   #28
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

"Siri, pause video"
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:54 PM   #29
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
"Siri, pause video"
Is this really something that people use voice control for?

Only Zuul.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet