ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 6th December 2017, 04:04 PM   #921
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
Mr. X, posted a couple of pictures on his private Facebook page showing what appeared to be a human femur
Mr X didn't go to the police after finding a large human bone in the woods. Silly Parcher. The Dude already knows it isn't human.
Old 6th December 2017, 04:16 PM   #922
carlitos
"más divertido"

When Iceman hears these stories, he's all like:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 04:32 PM   #923
captain koolaid
Muse

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
...Am I done barking up this tree? Don't know. We will see. Mr. X has taken down the Facebook posts, but I might still pursue it later...

Is it safe to assume the private facebook page was a footer one? This wasn't some random guy, or person you know who had no connection to footery, was it? The "bones" are gone. The FB posts are gone. Mr. Y is gone. All that's left are some teaser photos. Even if Mr. X actually had these nebulous bones to begin with, I think this dance is over.
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:01 PM   #924
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Bigfeet people are the most litigious people, I think.
It's true. Or they're the most litigious talk people. If you asked one to find you an attorney he'd probably say "what's a torney?". Rocket scientist Munns got banned from here for threatening litigation. Yet you know he/they've no idea how a lawsuit works. Or how worthless those NDAs they all cling to so righteously really are. They would be even less effective (if that's possible) if there were real Bigfoot there. NL's check list - Map? Check. Flashlight? Check. Water? Check. NDA? Check. Like it's one of the ten essentials.

"Hey Bobo the water's pretty deep out here, I could drown, throw me that NDA."
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:30 PM   #925
captain koolaid
Muse

... The back story is entirely hearsay, so I have no way of knowing the validity of it in any part...

Such a shame, really. Mr. X's story held some potential. What a lack of imagination on his part. This could have been turned into some truly worthwhile shenanigans. Instead, it came out of the blocks strong and fizzled. A squandered opportunity to spin some epic ********. I doubt he had the "bones" from the outset. Even without them, a bit of tweaking could have gone a long way. Something along the lines of... "They were found in what Bigfoot researchers believe was a known death zone". See? It's already got legs and I only gave it a minute's thought. Lame attempt by Mr. X, I must say.
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)

Last edited by captain koolaid; 6th December 2017 at 05:37 PM.
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:41 PM   #926
dmaker
Graduate Poster

A few of months ago, a guy I know, let's call him Mr. X, posted a couple of pictures on his private Facebook page showing what appeared to be a human femur measuring 23 1/4 inches long. He said he found it along with several very large teeth in a bog in the upper Midwest.

I engaged him asking questions and was told he sent the bone and teeth to a person he knew, let's call him Mr. Y, who does DNA analysis at a large Midwest University.

I asked another friend who is a doctor regarding the size of the femur and he said that would equal someone a little over 7'7" tall.

So, this is where I thought there might be a faint heartbeat detected in my hopes for science to acknowledge the existence of Sasquatch. A major university in possession of samples where DNA could be extracted and examined, how cool.

Upon further inquiry, I was told that Mr. Y won't return Mr. X's email or take his phone calls. I found this to be puzzling, but figured there was a rationale explanation, just didn't know what it was. I have friends who work at the same University and was hoping to find Mr. Y through them and ask him about the samples directly, but they don't know him.

Prior to all of this, Mr. X and Mr. Y were on good terms, and Mr. X considered Mr. Y a friend. Mr. Y even visited Mr. X and spent time with him out in the field.

Statement of Acknowledgment

I fully acknowledge, as Resume noted, this was an extreme long-shot. The back story is entirely hearsay, so I have no way of knowing the validity of it in any part. The only aspect of this that I can state as fact is there are pictures of the samples, but even those have issues. Mr. X did not photograph the bone along side a measuring tape, so his claim of 23 1/4 inches is difficult to substantiate. One photo was taken next to a standard 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper, so using that, it does appear close to his declared measurement. Even though it may not be exact, it is still a very large bone.

Conclusion
Was I hoping this would be the real deal? Absolutely. And yes, I do have copies of the pictures of the bone, but have not been given permission to share, so I won't be posting them, sorry.

Do I think there is a conspiracy, men in black, type situation going on here? No, I don't. If what Mr. X told me is accurate (and there's no way of conclusively knowing), there were plenty of things he screwed up, so no need to impose something sinister where it doesn't exist.

Am I done barking up this tree? Don't know. We will see. Mr. X has taken down the Facebook posts, but I might still pursue it later. After my dad passed away last year, I decided to take up running and am currently in training hoping to run a marathon by next September, so squatching is taking a backseat to that now. Like I said, we will see.

I'm sure this will spawn lots of questions and will do my best to answer them. Hope everyone has a great upcoming holiday. Cheers.
NL
NL, when are you going to realize that none of these things are ever going to pan out? There is no bigfoot. Don't you get tired of being Charlie Brown to reality's Lucy?
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:41 AM   #927
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Most likely the photo(s) are not being shown because they will instantly be debunked when non-footers get a look.

The proof of the size of the bone is supposedly a piece of paper next to the bone in the photo, rather than a ruler or tape measure. But we have no verification of the size of the piece of paper? The piece of paper might not be a standard size piece of paper, it may be cut down to fool the eye.

We supposedly have a person who found human remains and did not report them to the police.

He then apparently sent the human remains to another person, who also hasn't reported the remains to the police.

And we apparently have a university, which also did not report the human remains to the police.

If the picture with the piece of paper for reference was taken "in-situ", why was this person carrying 8.5" X 11" paper while hiking through a boggy wooded area, rather than carrying a small notebook?

If the picture with the piece of paper for reference was taken after the bone had been collected, then there was no good reason not to use a proper size reference in the photo.

Mr. X has a measuring device, because he gives a precise figure for the bone length, yet Mr. X provides no evidence of this precise length in the photo(s).

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:29 AM   #928
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Northern Lights
He said he found it along with several very large teeth in a bog in the upper Midwest.
Are there photos of the teeth? It's generally easy to identify an animal based on even a single tooth. That's Zoology 101. The teeth are described as very large so they aren't human and of course it isn't Bigfoot because that's a mythical animal. Most likely these are the remains of deer or moose or bear. Possibly horse or cow. We don't know if X Guy is honest and so they may not have come from a bog.

My strong suspicion is that this is a Bigfoot hoax, especially because all the evidence is now gone forever and he won't freely show the pictures. That's all classic behavior for Bigfoot hoaxing along with not calling the police.

Mr X can now claim for the rest of his life that he had a Bigfoot femur and teeth but they were stolen by people who wish to destroy exploration, discovery and the advancement of knowledge. Damn those people all the way to hell.
Old 7th December 2017, 06:29 AM   #929
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It's not like bigfootery is rife with sketchy stories/anecdotes, and phake photos of giant bones/skeletons. Or anything.

Mebbe the Smiffsonian spirited the femur to its seekrit archives.*

Or

Last night a big yellow taxi came and took my footie femur away
Doan it always seem to go, you doan know what you got 'til it's gone . . .

* I understand NL claims no gummit conspiracy.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 7th December 2017 at 06:41 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:44 AM   #930
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
My strong suspicion is that this is a Bigfoot hoax . . .
You don't say . . .

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:59 AM   #931
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.dappercadaver.com/products/prop-femur

Buy 2 and make a 24" long prop bigfoot femur.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:35 AM   #932
Drewbot
Philosopher

Where was the femur found?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:35 AM   #933
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Where was the femur found?
Sasquatia County...

Old 7th December 2017, 07:52 PM   #934
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Yet again, bigfootery has led me to a new and deeper rabbit hole.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 11:44 AM   #935
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
https://www.dappercadaver.com/products/prop-femur

Buy 2 and make a 24" long prop bigfoot femur.
That's right up Snake Meldrum's alley since a genuine Mid-Femur Break® appears right out of nowhere when you do that. You know, for better locomotion.™ Somebody really outta trademark that before Dandy Don gets wind of it cause once Big Sasquatch gets a hold of something they never let it go.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 05:44 PM   #936
Pacal
Muse

Upon further inquiry, I was told that Mr. Y won't return Mr. X's email or take his phone calls.
You heard this from Mr. X I take it? how convienent for Mr. X.

Quote:
I found this to be puzzling, but figured there was a rationale explanation, just didn't know what it was. I have friends who work at the same University and was hoping to find Mr. Y through them and ask him about the samples directly, but they don't know him.
I take it Mr. X did not give you Mr. Y's name otherwise you would have simply got in touch with him yourself. It appears that your friends were utterly unable to find him either. So does Mr. Y even exist?

Quote:
Prior to all of this, Mr. X and Mr. Y were on good terms, and Mr. X considered Mr. Y a friend. Mr. Y even visited Mr. X and spent time with him out in the field.
And you know this how? Is this what Mr. X told you? Since it appears that you don't even have a name and the story Mr. X is telling you is highly convenient; it is possible Mr. Y is just a story.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 02:05 AM   #937
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by captain koolaid View Post
Such a shame, really. Mr. X's story held some potential. What a lack of imagination on his part. This could have been turned into some truly worthwhile shenanigans. Instead, it came out of the blocks strong and fizzled. A squandered opportunity to spin some epic ********. I doubt he had the "bones" from the outset. Even without them, a bit of tweaking could have gone a long way. Something along the lines of... "They were found in what Bigfoot researchers believe was a known death zone". See? It's already got legs and I only gave it a minute's thought. Lame attempt by Mr. X, I must say.
If I may, I suggest this should be called a 'femur death camp'.

Broader marketing appeal that way.
Old 15th December 2017, 06:29 AM   #938
Drewbot
Philosopher

This is how Bigfoot ends?
No ceremony?
No scientific announcement?
No public displays of victory?
No after-the-game beer at the local bar?

Just a solemn walk-away, like the team we just beat shouldn't have been on the field with us?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 10:32 AM   #939
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Interesting peek into the mindset of footers....this was a response to a new member who posted three times only two post made it onto the fourm the third did not and the members account was rendered inactive.
Certainly doesn't seem like a group of people who are looking for the truth.

masterbarber 620
masterbarber
FMT
5,844 posts
Posted 18 hours ago
On December 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM, RealityCheck said:
Hello all,
I'm extremely skeptical of Bigfoot, having experienced numerous things attributed to Bigfoot and found them to be easily explained. I do find the culture/social construct aspect fascinating and look forward to discussion along those lines.

Yeah, that's not really why we're here. This is not the Anti-Bigfoot Forums and we don't discuss "social constructs" but good luck on your search.

Last edited by Cervelo; 15th December 2017 at 12:16 PM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 07:31 PM   #940
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

No ceremony?

Just a solemn walk-away, like the team we just beat shouldn't have been on the field with us?
And yet all they had to do was provide just some evidence and they win the ******* World Series®.

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
On December 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM, RealityCheck said:
Hello all,
I'm extremely skeptical of Bigfoot, having experienced numerous things attributed to Bigfoot and found them to be easily explained. I do find the culture/social construct aspect fascinating and look forward to discussion along those lines.

Yeah, that's not really why we're here. This is not the Anti-Bigfoot Forums and we don't discuss "social constructs" but good luck on your search.
That's so cute. The harbor barber master who's been searching for decades with still no "luck" tells the guy ironically named RealityCheck good luck with your search for an intelligent forum. That's like the Nigerian bobsled team telling the Swiss team good luck bobsledding. What's luck got to do with it?

Actually there's a singular explicit rule that allows big BLAARG to continue as it does (despite Drew's pre-eulogy above). Similar to the Fight Club rule - NEVER EVER EVER admit - except maybe to the deepest parts of your mind - it's just a game.

That must get pretty hard when you have to publicly dismiss valid arguments against (in bold) so absurdly and quickly for fear of accidentally disclosing it. Curiously, if ever a new topic for a legitimate Bigfoot forum came from out of the blue, that's gotta be one of them. Apparently he's experienced "Bigfoot" many times but inevitably discovers it was always something else not Bigfoot. You'd think that's something a BF forum that claims to be seeking truth would discuss, if just to shoot holes in it with their own big hairy guy holding the gun. Nope! I can't wait for their next anticipated move, growing out their sideburns and tattooing the words NO REGRETS backwards across their foreheads.
Old 16th December 2017, 11:07 PM   #941
captain koolaid
Muse

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
...Yeah, that's not really why we're here. This is not the Anti-Bigfoot Forums and we don't discuss "social constructs" but good luck on your search.

Is the Anti-Bigfoot the evil Bigfoot? Can I sign up for that forum? I'm down for dark, malevolent Bigfoot action.
Old 17th December 2017, 01:08 PM   #942
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by captain koolaid View Post
Is the Anti-Bigfoot the evil Bigfoot? Can I sign up for that forum? I'm down for dark, malevolent Bigfoot action.
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that Bigfoot likes the way you think.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I AGREE

The first one isn't the Bigfooting fringe either, that's Big Sasquatch's CSO Kathy Strain PhD FDIC interviewed by Ian Punnit (on either Coast to Coast or his own show).
Old 17th December 2017, 02:18 PM   #943
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I don't believe Kathy Strain has a PhD.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 03:20 PM   #944
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

"Are Bigfoot Eating Humans?

Are you stupid?

Tom McGuane
Old 17th December 2017, 03:34 PM   #945
captain koolaid
Muse

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that Bigfoot likes the way you think.

I AGREE
I AGREE

The first one isn't the Bigfooting fringe either, that's Big Sasquatch's CSO Kathy Strain PhD FDIC interviewed by Ian Punnit (on either Coast to Coast or his own show).

Now that's Bigfootin'! I can only take so much touchy-feely Bigfoot stuff before my eyes glaze over. Trackways, apple gifts, forest friends, garlic Bigfoot, zagnut bars... Bah. Why can't we have Enraged Killer Bigfoot anymore? At least bring back Pig Throwing Bigfoot.
Old 17th December 2017, 07:23 PM   #946
jerrywayne
Muse

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Ms. Strain has a B.A. in Anthropology, a M.A. in Behavioral Science (emphasis anthropology) and holds Honorary BS in Bigfoot studies.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 11:33 AM   #947
Pterodactyl
Muse

I began watching Todd Standing's new film "Discovering Bigfoot" last night.

It is available to watch if you've got Amazon Prime.

I didn't finish watching it though. I actually fell asleep about halfway through. My wife, who unfortunately has been subjected to way too many BF documentaries over the years, said, "this is the worst movie I've ever seen"

I'll attempt to finish it later today or tomorrow. I will say that is very sloppily edited, and has a lot of random drone footage of Todd Standing running through the woods in a ghillie suit and plowing down some small river in an argo for no apparent reason. Also the music choices don't tend to fit the footage. He also talks a lot about what a badass he is.

As far as bigfoot hoax films go though, I think it's clearly the best work we've seen in several years. The tree peeper/blinkie bigfoots are a better effort than what we usually get. Meldrum and Bindernagel play major roles and freely display their expertise/credulity at stick structures and impressions in moss that could've been made by anything. They spend an inordinate amount of time talking about these vague things considering they apparently have crystal clear pictures and videos of bigfoot faces to discuss.

I'll offer a more thorough review later, but I'd encourage y'all to watch it if you have the time. Good for at least a laugh or two.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 11:43 AM   #948
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I began watching Todd Standing's new film "Discovering Bigfoot" last night.

It is available to watch if you've got Amazon Prime.

I didn't finish watching it though. I actually fell asleep about halfway through. My wife, who unfortunately has been subjected to way too many BF documentaries over the years, said, "this is the worst movie I've ever seen"

I'll attempt to finish it later today or tomorrow. I will say that is very sloppily edited, and has a lot of random drone footage of Todd Standing running through the woods in a ghillie suit and plowing down some small river in an argo for no apparent reason. Also the music choices don't tend to fit the footage. He also talks a lot about what a badass he is.

As far as bigfoot hoax films go though, I think it's clearly the best work we've seen in several years. The tree peeper/blinkie bigfoots are a better effort than what we usually get. Meldrum and Bindernagel play major roles and freely display their expertise/credulity at stick structures and impressions in moss that could've been made by anything. They spend an inordinate amount of time talking about these vague things considering they apparently have crystal clear pictures and videos of bigfoot faces to discuss.

I'll offer a more thorough review later, but I'd encourage y'all to watch it if you have the time. Good for at least a laugh or two.
Will I require a beverage?

Tom McGuane
Old 18th December 2017, 11:46 AM   #949
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Will I require a beverage?
I'd fix something pretty stiff.

On second thought, it's actually on Netflix not Amazon prime.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 12:14 PM   #950
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I'd fix something pretty stiff.

On second thought, it's actually on Netflix not Amazon prime.
Before anyone can take your recommendation and watch, we need to know what words we're supposed to drink on.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 02:06 PM   #951
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
I don't believe she's a member of the FDIC either.
Old 18th December 2017, 03:55 PM   #952
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Before anyone can take your recommendation and watch, we need to know what words we're supposed to drink on.
If you're aiming to get mas borracho, I'd swill on "expert" or "PhD".

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 18th December 2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 21st December 2017, 02:20 PM   #953
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

No ceremony?

I often wonder how mermaid belief ended. What would cause humans to stop believing that fire-breathing dragons exist?

The academic literature explains causes for beliefs in mythical things but seems to be lacking in explanations for losses of beliefs.

Last edited by William Parcher; 21st December 2017 at 02:23 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 03:51 PM   #954
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I dunno. If tomorrow the WaPo published an article about a seekrit gummint bigfoot program, the bigfoot faithful would swoon in ecstasy. "Clean up in aisle footie . . ."

Tom McGuane
Old 21st December 2017, 05:49 PM   #955
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I find it extremely weird to assert that negatives cannot be proven. It says that we cannot prove that the earth does not have two moons. A sister says to her brother, "you cannot prove that I am not your father."
Old 21st December 2017, 08:11 PM   #956
Pterodactyl
Muse

I find it extremely weird to assert that negatives cannot be proven. It says that we cannot prove that the earth does not have two moons. A sister says to her brother, "you cannot prove that I am not your father."
Similarly, I don't care for the "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

If I open my cooler and see no evidence that that any beers remain, I can safely and sadly conclude that I am out of beer.
Old 22nd December 2017, 06:02 AM   #957
Drewbot
Philosopher

There is an episode of TERROR IN THE WOODS, on Destination America, Season 1 Episode 3

It is one of those 'true' it happened to me type shows.
The story was hilarious, it followed almost every typical hoaxing event to the letter.

1. Someone who knows about Bigfoot is on a hiking/kayak forum, and says he is going camping in the Red River Gorge, and would anyone like to go.

2. Two people volunteer, they meet the first camper at the parking spot and hike into "Remote, Old Growth Forest, Super Dense" along the river

3. Rocks get thrown near them, never hitting anything

4. he could see the glistening of the fur in the moonlight

5. It was calling for other Bigfoots!!

6. We were scared.

7. The other two campers were so scared they stayed in their tent the whole time, They got the hell out at dawn.

8. The other two campers had real, professional jobs and vowed never to talk about this again. (Oh, so that's why they're not on the show to support the main witness)

Who do you think arranged the hoaxing? The first, experienced camper who stayed up all night yelling at the beast and shining his flashlight around? Or the two inexperienced professionals who hid in the tent the whole night?

I vote for the first guy, he was looking for some targets to play a trick on, and it worked. Look for the show, it's really hilarious. At one point after the beast is circling their campsite, howling, the first guy even says, "That sounds like a Bigfoot!".

CAN ANYONE NAME THE ANIMAL THEY ARE RECORDING?

Here is an example of the silliness, the full episode is not online.
https://www.destinationamerica.com/t...t-be-a-bigfoot
Old 22nd December 2017, 03:27 PM   #958
captain koolaid
Muse

There is an episode of TERROR IN THE WOODS, on Destination America, Season 1 Episode 3

It is one of those 'true' it happened to me type shows.
The story was hilarious, it followed almost every typical hoaxing event to the letter.

1. Someone who knows about Bigfoot is on a hiking/kayak forum, and says he is going camping in the Red River Gorge, and would anyone like to go.

2. Two people volunteer, they meet the first camper at the parking spot and hike into "Remote, Old Growth Forest, Super Dense" along the river

3. Rocks get thrown near them, never hitting anything

4. he could see the glistening of the fur in the moonlight

5. It was calling for other Bigfoots!!

6. We were scared.

7. The other two campers were so scared they stayed in their tent the whole time, They got the hell out at dawn.

8. The other two campers had real, professional jobs and vowed never to talk about this again. (Oh, so that's why they're not on the show to support the main witness)

Who do you think arranged the hoaxing? The first, experienced camper who stayed up all night yelling at the beast and shining his flashlight around? Or the two inexperienced professionals who hid in the tent the whole night?

I vote for the first guy, he was looking for some targets to play a trick on, and it worked. Look for the show, it's really hilarious. At one point after the beast is circling their campsite, howling, the first guy even says, "That sounds like a Bigfoot!".

CAN ANYONE NAME THE ANIMAL THEY ARE RECORDING?

Here is an example of the silliness, the full episode is not online.
https://www.destinationamerica.com/t...t-be-a-bigfoot

Excellent! It seems like a classic setup, but... I wonder how much vetting was done on guy #1's tale? I presume it was established, at some point during production that there actually were campers #2 and #3? Seems convenient that they won't talk about it ever again and won't contribute even as anonymous participants (which could easily be done). I wonder if they were there, but were thoroughly weirded out by Bigfoot guy's antics? In any event, I really hope it played out as described, regardless of the impression made on the mystery victims. Keep the crazy hoaxes coming, footers, it's been too quiet for too long.... and bring on more Angry Bigfoot! Thank you.

Last edited by captain koolaid; 22nd December 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 22nd December 2017, 04:26 PM   #959
The Shrike
Illuminator

Just sounds like a dude to me.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2017, 11:48 AM   #960
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I often wonder how mermaid belief ended. What would cause humans to stop believing that fire-breathing dragons exist?

The academic literature explains causes for beliefs in mythical things but seems to be lacking in explanations for losses of beliefs.
Mermaid and dragon beliefs are still very much alive in some corners of the world. Parts of Asia seem to still believe in both of them.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal