ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:23 AM   #281
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
You are feeling the love, that's how it feels.
Where is the love?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:06 AM   #282
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Where is the love?
God knows!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:18 AM   #283
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Timely reminder:
Is this supposed to be another one of Jesus/God's rules Christians tell everyone else to follow, while not following it themselves? You know, like the "love your neighbor" and "do unto others" ones?

It's odd that self proclaimed followers of Christ seem to think Christ's rules apply to everyone but them.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:53 AM   #284
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

God knows!
He/she/it/horse sure as hell ain't showing it
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:34 AM   #285
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
He/she/it/horse sure as hell ain't showing it
It's bluff love.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:39 AM   #286
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It's bluff love.
I prefer buff love without the extra dose of L.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:17 PM   #287
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I prefer buff love without the extra dose of L.
A Bod of Buff!
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:03 PM   #288
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Johanabrahams View Post
Human beings are so accustomed to judging . . .not knowing that they have very limited abilities in doing that. Look now . . .you say I am shouting while in fact i was not shouting. You say that I think it add to my "screed" while in fact I do not depend on that to add but I depend solely on my wisdom.

Love Johan
How many times, dear, must a community tell you that your posting style is perceived, even defined, as shouting, and shouting rudely, at that, for you to accept (or at least acknowledge) a norm?

It is part and parcel with your refusal to use the "quote" function correctly, which (in addition to conforming to an accepted norm) clarifies your posting (at least as far as attribution of that to which you claim to be responding).

Further, your use of scare quotes around the simple English noun, screed, demonstrates that you do not understand its meaning.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:05 PM   #289
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

<blathedrsnip>
It it not a 'god' that anyone else acknowledges?

Got it.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:06 PM   #290
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

<snip of unsupported assertion>
No actual evidence for your 'god', then...

Got it.
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:07 PM   #291
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Only human beings fight . .

Love Johan
...evidence?
Old 25th April 2017, 01:11 AM   #292
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
You know you don't have to quote someone twice in order to respond. Here. Let me help:

...what?

What are you talking about? None of this makes sense.

See? Just use the quote function properly.
you spoke about a cat and about a God that threatens . . which He should not do. So I agree with you . . .only a "big cat" a lion can threaten.

Yep I see but I still do not know how because you are not telling me how.
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2017, 02:56 AM   #293
Johanabrahams
Banned

Would you quit it? Look up the phrase "tough love". I'm sure you'll find something on wiki.
Thanks . . I went there and know now. Seems it is love that punishes for the sake of good afterwards.
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2017, 03:01 AM   #294
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
And you like to believe that you can become a god. Got it from a bad fantasy novel which presents unrealistic scenarios.

Mind you, I love a well-written fantasy, but I somehow manage to understand the difference between it and reality.
And you like to believe that you can become a god.

Actually I like to believe in a God who is Love . . .and will make me His child in the true sense of the word. Meaning I have a Father
and can look up to Him knowing that I am growing up to be like Him.
Where His power is not really that important but rather His Fatherhood and what a Father stands for.

Got it from a bad fantasy novel which presents unrealistic scenarios.

Actually this I got from Himself.

Mind you, I love a well-written fantasy, but I somehow manage to understand the difference between it and reality

Good . . then sticking with me . . .you will see this reality.
Old 25th April 2017, 03:03 AM   #295
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
This space for rent
I will miss you.

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 03:19 AM   #296
Johanabrahams
Banned

God's dead, remember?
Sure . . . the false ones.

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 03:20 AM   #297
Johanabrahams
Banned

Biblically?

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Nope . . .the Bible is history . . it is now about reality

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 03:39 AM   #298
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Hey! I was just making a suggestion! I don't really think brownies are God. Really!

As to the OP: the semi-literate, mostly nonsensical disjointed non-sequitur ramblings reminds me of some kind of a bot or English-to-New-Age-Speak translator.
Ok . . .I will try to do better.

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 03:43 AM   #299
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Love Johan
Which one is the real one? This is a rhetorical question, We all know it's FSM.
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2017, 03:47 AM   #300
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I think that you have properly taken my meaning, but do yourself a favor and look the term "safeword" on Wikipedia yourself just to make sure.
Yep . . .did that . . thanks . . .[/quote]

Also, while you are looking at Wikipedia, I also suggest that you look up the term "FSM" (Flying Spaghetti Monster) so that you may be able to reply with some degree of intelligence should this term be referenced to you again in the future.[/quote]

Thanks much.[/quote]

yep . . .did that . . .know something about it now.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Johanabrahams; 25th April 2017 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Trying to correct my messed-up quoting.
Old 25th April 2017, 03:52 AM   #301
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Yep . . .did that . . thanks . . .

Also, while you are looking at Wikipedia, I also suggest that you look up the term "FSM" (Flying Spaghetti Monster) so that you may be able to reply with some degree of intelligence should this term be referenced to you again in the future.

Thanks much.

yep . . .did that . . .know something about it now.

Thanks a lot
Mangled the quote function again did we?
Old 25th April 2017, 04:04 AM   #302
Johanabrahams
Banned

It's much more fun if he doesn't.

And I say this as an ordained Pastafarian clergyman.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
It is going to be fun . . .in any case . .but seems some have complained and maybe others will stop the "fun"

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 04:18 AM   #303
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Yes- I too look forward to what I am certain will be an interesting and insightful conversation between the two of you! Please carry on!
Yep . . .I agree.[/quote]

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Just a small point- perhaps you can advise Johanabrahams as to how to use the quote function instead of the red-colored fonts? It might help improve the readability of his posts.
Why should he? Don't you know?
Old 25th April 2017, 04:25 AM   #304
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

God is a concept by which we measure our pain
Old 25th April 2017, 04:52 AM   #305
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
So Johan, why did you start this thread?
Every guess or question is met with some kind of version of 'shut up and listen', but you never proceed to tell us anything, you just react to what other people write, sentence by sentence.
Is there actually anything you want to discuss?
Well . .. for one thing . . . I started it to enjoy it. No use doing anything which is a pain. While we are enjoying ourselves . . .what is important is materializing. So let us discuss the possibility of an existing God of Love and what makes Him "a God of Love" . . .some laugh at this . . .so no problem . . Let us laugh also . . . .and as for you . .let us discuss God having done what I am speaking about. If he has not done exactly that . . .how would I know of the existence of it. Through all of His creation He said. There should be families. Where the children is the joy of the parents . . and the parents the joy of the children. And the children grow up to . . .one day . . have the joy of the parents.

That is the essence of the God of Love.

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 04:56 AM   #306
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Good luck with that. Around here we tend to require evidence. Unsupported wisdom counts for very little.
Wisdom can be seen. It is evidence in itself. Because human beings do not have it. And when it is seen it is obvious the presence of God. But much more than this will be provided.

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 04:57 AM   #307
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
My god can beat up your god
My God does not fight . . .no need to as He is the only one.
Old 25th April 2017, 04:58 AM   #308
Argumemnon
World Maker

That's what I said.

Every theist in history has "known" that their god existed, and yet you'd agree that they were all wrong except those who worshipped your god... how do you know that they're wrong and you're right if your method is the exact same as theirs?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2017, 05:11 AM   #309
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

My God does not fight . . .no need to as He is the only one.
My God just kicked the ass of your God.

Therefore, my God is a better god than your God.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2017, 05:30 AM   #310
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

To me this always poses a contradiction.

A truly loving god would not need a religion, after all, it would love it's creation and therefore anything we do is good and thus there is no need for any of the trappings of the many earthly religions.
So if you truly believe god is good and loving, there is no need to preach, no need to convert, no need to convince and certainly no need to proscribe things, as god loves all.

On the other hand, the 'love' described in the torah, bible and koran (and maybe other religions, but I don't know those that well), to me always comes across as the love of an abusive, drunk parent. Sure, that parent loves you, provided you follow all the rules and meekly accept getting beaten if she/he is drunk and angry so they can forgive you for bruising their fists the next day. And those that preach this 'love' always come across as the older siblings that have just accepted this state of being and now tell the rest how to get beaten as little as possible.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2017, 05:34 AM   #311
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3;16

Now that is love!
Ah, it's a classic:

Old 25th April 2017, 05:42 AM   #312
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Ah, it's a classic:
Maff(ia) love.
Old 25th April 2017, 05:43 AM   #313
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
My God just kicked the ass of your God.
http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...94cyo1_540.jpg

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2017, 05:56 AM   #314
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Except he didn't give anything.
In her fantastic monologue "Letting Go Of God" about her journey from devoted Catholic to atheist, Julia Sweeney says that while she was in the middle of having her doubts she started to think for the first time about Jesus atoning for everybody's sins and it occurred to her that a lot of people on Earth have suffered a lot more than he did - she cites her brother's long battle with cancer. She came to the conclusion that Jesus "had a bad weekend for our sins".
Old 25th April 2017, 05:59 AM   #315
Johanabrahams
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Wander up to Kruger and watch the male bok at breeding time. See if you can find a lion pride at the moment a young male comes sniffing around. Hang around the elephants when there is a bull in musth. Head to any seal or sea lion colony at breeding time. Sit next to a hippo pool for a few hours. Maybe you'll learn something: many species of animal, including humans, fight.
yep . . .every specie on earth fight . . .but God does not.
Old 25th April 2017, 06:03 AM   #316
Johanabrahams
Banned

Could you please start making sense?
Human beings have a problem. They do not have the ability to judge. But even though they do not have it they are still doing it. Only God has that ability. History has it that there was only one. He was king Solomon. He did it by a gift that God gave him.

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 06:08 AM   #317
Johanabrahams
Banned

This all sounds like spamming to me.
Well . . they way you are putting it means you are not sure . . .maybe if you give some evidence it will help.

If you don't have anything to contribute to the discussion I suggest you opt out.
Well I have . . according to me . . so try to be patient although I know impatience is pestering the human race.

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 06:10 AM   #318
Johanabrahams
Banned

Not everyone can read red text. Against a grey backdrop, it's even worse.

Being special, I am sure this will distress you, but black is the better colour.
Ok . . didn't know that . . .so . .will just have to learn which I do not seem to get right. Quoting!

Love Johan
Old 25th April 2017, 06:12 AM   #319
fagin
Illuminator

yep . . .every specie on earth fight . . .but God does not.
I'm sure I saw a documentary recently with him doing a bit of fighting. It was called Thor if you're interested.

Human beings have a problem. They do not have the ability to judge. But even though they do not have it they are still doing it. Only God has that ability. History has it that there was only one. He was king Solomon. He did it by a gift that God gave him.

Love Johan
According to this he was a bit of a knob.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon

Managed to wreck the whole kingdom? Sounds like his ability to judge was a bit rubbish, quite frankly.
Old 25th April 2017, 06:20 AM   #320
Argumemnon
World Maker

Human beings have a problem. They do not have the ability to judge. But even though they do not have it they are still doing it. Only God has that ability.
I asked you to make sense and you throw a self-contradictory post at me.

If humans are doing it, then they have the ability to do so.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy