ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit , Theresa May , uk elections , uk politics

View Poll Results: How long will UK Prime Minister Theresa May Last?
She'll last a month at most 8 17.78%
She won't last out the week 3 6.67%
She'll last for two weeks 2 4.44%
She'll last until the next Tory Conference in October 2017 20 44.44%
She'll last until the next General Election 8 17.78%
She'll ride out the storm and serve the full term 2 4.44%
Who cares <shrug>? 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st June 2017, 12:37 AM   #121
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I think it more to do with the poison chalice that she has left her successor. Who in their right minds would want to take on the job in these circumstances?
It's a great opportunity for a charismatic Brexiteer. Someone who believes wholeheartedly in the project can come in and give the remoaners a good whipping, end the dithering indecision, take the fight to the bolshy Euros - and other unmentionable foreigners and poofs - and save the United Kingdom with jolly good red, white and blue Brexit. There's not enough self-belief!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 12:54 AM   #122
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
This is from BBC News.
The Queen will arrive at Parliament in a car, rather than horse-drawn carriage
There will be no royal procession into the House of Lords chamber and the Queen will wear "day dress" rather than robes
Her crown will be driven to the Lords in its own car, but she will wear a hat instead
It is the first state opening with "reduced ceremonial elements" since 1974
This was agreed because of timing issues caused by the snap election - rehearsals clashed with Saturday's Trooping the Colour event
I wonder if this reduction of "ceremonial elements" has been performed at the Queen's initiative, and is intended as a symbolic reprimand to Theresa May. Anyone here knowledgeable about these matters of protocol, and their hidden meanings?

ETA I note also that "Queen's Speech 2017: May promises 'humility'". Well, she has plenty to be humble about. Maybe she's trying to stop the Queen turning up in a minicab, and making the speech wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
Could it just be that she's a lady in her 90's and it's really, really hot at the moment ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 01:03 AM   #123
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Could it just be that she's a lady in her 90's and it's really, really hot at the moment ?
It's Ascot.
This way she can just pop back in the car and zoom off to catch some of the gee-gees without having the kerfuffle of having to get changed.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 07:14 AM   #124
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Of course it could be that, but one is initially inclined to see some motive in this mitigation of ceremony. HM is particularly devoted to her ceremonial duties, after all.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 07:48 AM   #125
Degeneve
Muse

Did Her Majesty’s hat show her disapprobation of Brexit during her speech? https://twitter.com/federicacocco/st...76291213131776
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 07:58 AM   #126
angrysoba
Philosophile

Holy Crap! That's almost a little too obvious. It could only really have been more obvious if she literally had an EU flag poking out of her hat.

Given the other breaks from protocol this has to be seen as suspicious.

On another note, no fox hunting. I suppose it demonstrates a gulf between the confidence that May had for the widespread popularity of conservatism and the reality.

I think it should not only be considered a hindsight opinion that it was silly of her to believe she could increase her majority in a meaningful way, if at all, given that it was such a surprise (maybe even to Cameron) that the Tories got a majority in 2015.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 08:01 AM   #127
3point14
Pi

I'm a bit of a republican. I really don''t like that we have a monarchy at all. I have no real respect for the position of monarch but actually quite a lot of respect for the lady that's held that office my entire life.

Your assessment above seems entirely reasonable.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 10:32 AM   #128
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Holy Crap! That's almost a little too obvious. It could only really have been more obvious if she literally had an EU flag poking out of her hat.

Given the other breaks from protocol this has to be seen as suspicious.

On another note, no fox hunting. I suppose it demonstrates a gulf between the confidence that May had for the widespread popularity of conservatism and the reality.

I think it should not only be considered a hindsight opinion that it was silly of her to believe she could increase her majority in a meaningful way, if at all, given that it was such a surprise (maybe even to Cameron) that the Tories got a majority in 2015.
She was reportedly in favour of Brexit.

She fits the demographic and her memories of influence in the 50's and now both Britain's, and hers would be most obvious to her. It would be hard to not draw emotional conclusions in her position
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 10:49 AM   #129
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Frankie Boyle was absolutely lacerating with some of his comments on May in his latest show. Hes fast becoming the closest thing we have to an actual political commentator in this country. Odd that he gets away with it on the BBC.
"Actual political commentator" meaning "Somebody who agrees with me".

You think BBC is biased in favor of the Tories???????

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 11:23 AM   #130
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
It's Ascot.
This way she can just pop back in the car and zoom off to catch some of the gee-gees without having the kerfuffle of having to get changed.
Fair's fair, she earned an outing for keeping a straight face while announcing the government's plans for the next two years given that May is being optimistic if she makes plans for the weekend...

Oh and as the BBC pointed out, no mention of Trump's state visit:

Queen's Speech: Donald Trump's UK state visit in fresh doubt

It seems to have slid into the nether realm of 'when conditions are right'.
Old 21st June 2017, 12:36 PM   #131
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
She was reportedly in favour of Brexit.
ISTR it was The Sun that did the reporting, though.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 12:51 PM   #132
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I wouldn't believe The Sun if they told me water was wet, and their assumption of what Brenda thinks about Brexit was no more than their usual ill-informed speculation.

I don't for one second think that the hat was a coincidence, and I'm fairly certain that the low-key arrangements for the Queen's Speech were designed to be a snub to Theresa May.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 01:54 PM   #133
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
I wouldn't believe The Sun if they told me water was wet, and their assumption of what Brenda thinks about Brexit was no more than their usual ill-informed speculation.

I don't for one second think that the hat was a coincidence, and I'm fairly certain that the low-key arrangements for the Queen's Speech were designed to be a snub to Theresa May.
As I recall Her Maj was similarly competitive with Maggie Thatcher. Hated her.

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 10:00 PM   #134
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
ISTR it was The Sun that did the reporting, though.

Dave
Fair enough. I am pretty uninterested in her views.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 10:19 PM   #135
angrysoba
Philosophile

Fair enough. I am pretty uninterested in her views.
I am interested in why her advisers let her turn up for the opening of Parliament wearing the European Union flag. This is on top of her making a point of not wearing her traditional garb.

It's a little bit weird even if we don't think there was any intentional symbolism there.

Old 22nd June 2017, 02:55 AM   #136
Tolls
Illuminator

She fits the demographic and her memories of influence in the 50's and now both Britain's, and hers would be most obvious to her. It would be hard to not draw emotional conclusions in her position
I thought the pro-Brexit demographic was more people born in the 40s and 50s than someone who was actually around in the war.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 03:04 AM   #137
3point14
Pi

I am interested in why her advisers let her turn up for the opening of Parliament wearing the European Union flag. This is on top of her making a point of not wearing her traditional garb.

It's a little bit weird even if we don't think there was any intentional symbolism there.
If there was no intended symbolism, I would assume she and her staff are switched on enough for the unintended symbolism to be noticed and be mentioned and for HRH to make a conscious decision not to change.

At the very least, she knew but didn't care. I suspect some monarchical, nonagenarian chuckling.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 04:47 AM   #138
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
A Belgian newspaper published a little more than one hour ago that five ministers have asked Boris Johnson to replace Theresa May.

Do they really think it would be fun for the Brits to have their home made version of Donald Trump at the 10 Downing Street ?
I think it would be a great development.

But then again, I can entertain myself for hours watching skateboarding accidents on Youtube.
Old 22nd June 2017, 05:59 AM   #139
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Heard Boris bumbling his way through an interview with Eddie Mair yesterday. He's alright for a laugh but as a PM? God help us!
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:47 AM   #140
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I went for the 'conference' option but would have really preferred "About a year, or whenever Tory nerves have settled and somebody plausible seems to be making a good job of something significant"

But from the Con pov it's hard to see who that would be:

Johnson - too much of a buffoon even for many Con voters. Drifting out rapidly with the bookies.
Davis - tied up with Brexit negotiations, but if they go well a case could be made. Hard to see how he can please all wings of his party though. Current bookies' fave.
Hammond - dull as hell, but that could be seen as a bonus.
Rudd - holds a marginal seat and I can see many of her constituents having a great time working to oust the Tory leader
Davidson - bit of a Tory heroine at the moment and has a definite chance imo. But being a Bremainer could count against her.
Gove - maybe his mystery reappointment is linked to this question. Maybe the Con leader after next?

It's a all a bit of a mess, frankly. I wouldn't want to be in the party's position.
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:58 AM   #141
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

It can't be Davidson, as she isn't even an MP. Gove? Never in a hundred years.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:08 AM   #142
GlennB

It can't be Davidson, as she isn't even an MP. Gove? Never in a hundred years.
These things can be arranged
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:31 AM   #143
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
These things can be arranged
Yes, if an anti-Brexit MP were to accidentally brutally stab themself to death while shaving.

Old 22nd June 2017, 10:39 AM   #144
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
If there was no intended symbolism, I would assume she and her staff are switched on enough for the unintended symbolism to be noticed and be mentioned and for HRH to make a conscious decision not to change.

At the very least, she knew but didn't care. I suspect some monarchical, nonagenarian chuckling.

Fair enough to all those...

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I went for the 'conference' option but would have really preferred "About a year, or whenever Tory nerves have settled and somebody plausible seems to be making a good job of something significant"

But from the Con pov it's hard to see who that would be:

Johnson - too much of a buffoon even for many Con voters. Drifting out rapidly with the bookies.
Davis - tied up with Brexit negotiations, but if they go well a case could be made. Hard to see how he can please all wings of his party though. Current bookies' fave.
Hammond - dull as hell, but that could be seen as a bonus.
Rudd - holds a marginal seat and I can see many of her constituents having a great time working to oust the Tory leader
Davidson - bit of a Tory heroine at the moment and has a definite chance imo. But being a Bremainer could count against her.
Gove - maybe his mystery reappointment is linked to this question. Maybe the Con leader after next?

It's a all a bit of a mess, frankly. I wouldn't want to be in the party's position.

You have missed one out:

https://readyformogg.org

Where is the laughing dog

(Might start crying if he ends up getting anywhere)
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:26 AM   #145
angrysoba
Philosophile

You have missed one out:

I have already predicted the rise of Reese-Mogg. He's maybe the nearest thing we have to an Urquart. But he's not even in the cabinet so it would seem a bit strange. Still, with nobody else having enough gumption or pluck, desperate times call for desperate measures and what more of a desparate measure than to have the left-wing's parody of a Tory lord made flesh becoming PM to smite those upstarts in Brussels?

Old 22nd June 2017, 11:51 AM   #146
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Haha. There speaks the voice of wisdom. Deary me.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:05 PM   #147
GlennB

You have missed one out:

But but but ... then he'll stop going on HIGNFY and we'll miss the laughs. On the other hand there will be PMQs, so I suppose the jury is out, laugh-wise
Old 23rd June 2017, 04:10 AM   #148
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

It's been repeatedly alleged that BBC Political Correspondent Laura Kuenssberg is...
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:24 AM   #149
Matthew Best
Philosopher

It's been repeatedly alleged that BBC Political Correspondent Laura Kuenssberg is...
And of course Nick Robinson, who was political editor for the BBC for 10 years, was President of Oxford University Conservative Association, and was also accused of being biased in their favour.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:11 AM   #150
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If she isn't capable of doing her job she should resign.
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:12 AM   #151
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
It's Ascot.
Amazing how many of her visits to places coincide with horse racing. Remember her historic visit to Republic of Ireland? Just happened to have a private half day at a stud farm...
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:23 AM   #152
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If she isn't capable of doing her job she should resign.
Her job is the breathe. Resignation might be...................erm............messy.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 23rd June 2017 at 11:24 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:31 AM   #153
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Her job is the breathe. Resignation might be...................erm............messy.
Looking back over our history, there have been instances of involuntary job termination, but it tends to preclude re-hiring.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 12:17 AM   #154
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Amazing how many of her visits to places coincide with horse racing. Remember her historic visit to Republic of Ireland? Just happened to have a private half day at a stud farm...
Such visits are a harmless hobby. Keeps her mind off politics.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 03:07 AM   #155
toto
Muse

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
As I recall Her Maj was similarly competitive with Maggie Thatcher. Hated her.
Made her Order of the Garter and Order of Merit ( Appointments are made at the Sovereign's sole discretion -wiki) and went to her funeral though. I do not think you can hate some one and also have respect for them at the same time.
Old 26th June 2017, 03:13 AM   #156
toto
Muse

I think it was due to the original clash with the Trooping the colour ceremony. Also I expect consideration was given to her age and the fact that she wanted to get off to Ascot.
My understanding was that the Queen is obviously a strong supporter of the Commonwealth and possibly less obviously the union between Scotland and England but that actually she might be a bit of a brexiteer.
Old 26th June 2017, 03:34 AM   #157
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by toto View Post
I think it was due to the original clash with the Trooping the colour ceremony. Also I expect consideration was given to her age and the fact that she wanted to get off was going to Ascot.
My understanding was that the Queen is obviously a strong supporter of the Commonwealth and possibly less obviously the union between Scotland and England but that actually she might be a bit of a brexiteer.
FTFY
Old 26th June 2017, 03:53 AM   #158
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Theresa May and The Holy Grail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qOyT3ZkUxI
Old 26th June 2017, 04:32 AM   #159
toto
Muse

FTFY
I think my sentence was equally correct, reflecting a bit of what yours didn't, that it is a personal highlight of The Queen's year, which she wouldn't want to miss; albeit rather colloquially expressed.
Old 26th June 2017, 06:16 AM   #160
Mid
Muse

So it seems that Theresa May and her coalition of chaos has stolen Corbyn's magic money tree to give the DUP £1 billion to keep the tory party in power support their strong and stable government
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics