ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit , Theresa May , uk elections , uk politics

View Poll Results: How long will UK Prime Minister Theresa May Last?
She'll last a month at most 8 17.78%
She won't last out the week 3 6.67%
She'll last for two weeks 2 4.44%
She'll last until the next Tory Conference in October 2017 20 44.44%
She'll last until the next General Election 8 17.78%
She'll ride out the storm and serve the full term 2 4.44%
Who cares <shrug>? 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th February 2018, 12:06 PM   #321
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
Well today I had people knocking at my door canvassing for Labour in the upcoming May elections. It would appear they're throwing people at taking the Tory London boroughs (the person I spoke to was a councillor shipped in from Rotherham to do the canvasing), as three months before the election is quite early to be calling.

So I thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a local elections thread, not that I think the possible looming cull of Tory councillors will end May's PMship but it may add to the overall sense of decay around the government.
And tonight we were visited by the Tories, I hope this isn't a sign of the coming 3 months
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2018, 12:36 PM   #322
Garrison
Illuminator

And tonight we were visited by the Tories, I hope this isn't a sign of the coming 3 months

Well of course they came under the cover of darkness, afraid of being identified.
Old 5th February 2018, 12:43 PM   #323
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Well of course they came under the cover of darkness, afraid of being identified.

Although given the stories about Tory party membership numbers I was surprised to see any still exist out in the wild
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2018, 09:57 AM   #324
Mid
Graduate Poster

We actually had a real live Tory come canvasing around here today they must be getting worried. Still it proves there's still some actual members alive in the wild.

Admittedly this compare to the about 20 Labour people that were out and about yesterday, not to mention the stall Labour had out on Balham High St last week.
Old 29th April 2018, 02:41 PM   #325
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Home Secretary (-ex) Amber Rudd has gone. As a remainer on the back benches, she's free to throw spanners into May's Brexit plans.
Old 30th April 2018, 12:44 AM   #326
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Home Secretary (-ex) Amber Rudd has gone. As a remainer on the back benches, she's free to throw spanners into May's Brexit plans.
Will she be replaced by a brexiteer though?

So far May has been careful to keep the cabinet balanced.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 01:28 AM   #327
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Although given the stories about Tory party membership numbers I was surprised to see any still exist out in the wild
And yet they are still ahead of Labour in the polls.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 01:31 AM   #328
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Will she be replaced by a brexiteer though?

So far May has been careful to keep the cabinet balanced.
I wonder if she might see this poisoned chalice as a way of keeping her political enemies neutered. Jacob Rees-Mogg bogged down in an unmanageable department, firefighting, but also bound by cabinet responsibility....I'm sure the thought must have crossed her mind.

Look out for James Cleverly in this reshuffle. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the cabinet.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 01:56 AM   #329
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
And yet they are still ahead of Labour in the polls.
Well it doesn't take much to be better than J Corbyn
Old 30th April 2018, 02:33 AM   #330
Worm
Master Poster

Sajid Javid named as new Home Secretary. Not a major surprise, but a big step up.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 06:07 AM   #331
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

So Amber Rudd, she of the creepy conference speech about requiring UK firms to keep lists of foreign workers is gone, to be replaced by Sajid Javid, he who presided over the Grenfell Tower aftermath with such aplomb that everybody in London hates him.

And Sajid Javid is replaced as Housing Minister by James Brokenshire who, apart from being universally hated in Ireland is also guilty of signing a letter approving the deportation of a Windrush immigrant and then denying he ever saw the letter.

Has there ever been a worse British government than this one in modern times?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 07:01 AM   #332
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Has there ever been a worse British government than this one in modern times?
How quickly people forget. Every government behaves in the same way when in power, regardless of their politics. It's shortsighted to pick on the latest foul-up and pretend that things like this have never happened before, or take a dislike to an MP and call them the worst politician ever. Much of it isn't even their fault, it's the political system which means they have to behave like this in order to survive. Lying, corruption, conniving and cheating are the baseline of every government, on top of which policies are declared and enacted, for good or ill.
Old 30th April 2018, 07:09 AM   #333
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
How quickly people forget. Every government behaves in the same way when in power, regardless of their politics. It's shortsighted to pick on the latest foul-up and pretend that things like this have never happened before, or take a dislike to an MP and call them the worst politician ever. Much of it isn't even their fault, it's the political system which means they have to behave like this in order to survive. Lying, corruption, conniving and cheating are the baseline of every government, on top of which policies are declared and enacted, for good or ill.
True, but the current government does have some absolute peaches in BoJo, Fox and Davis in charge of the most important thing affecting the UK since the war IMO, the current and last two home secretaries, Hunt and so on....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 07:14 AM   #334
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Can you name me any Home Secretary in the modern era who publically declared an intention to require British employers to keep lists of foreign workers?

Note - not illegal immigrants, just workers from outside the UK.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 07:56 AM   #335
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Of course it's their fault. They are a bunch of ignorant, bigoted, over privileged incompetents.

How quickly we forget indeed.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 09:05 AM   #336
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

......James Brokenshire who..... is also guilty of signing a letter approving the deportation of a Windrush immigrant.....
Can you back this up? I haven't seen any evidence yet that any Windrush immigrants have been deported. I know this isn't what you are claiming, but it's part of the way there.
Old 30th April 2018, 10:03 AM   #337
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Can you back this up? I haven't seen any evidence yet that any Windrush immigrants have been deported. I know this isn't what you are claiming, but it's part of the way there.
I think this Guardian article backs up Strawberry's claims. The victim in question has a brother who wasn't allowed back in when he flew to Jamaica for his father's funeral in 2001 and hasn't seen his daughter since.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 10:08 AM   #338
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I think this Guardian article backs up Strawberry's claims. The victim in question has a brother who wasn't allowed back in when he flew to Jamaica for his father's funeral in 2001 and hasn't seen his daughter since.
That's what I was indeed referring to, thank you.
Old 30th April 2018, 11:27 AM   #339
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Thanks. That is a different thing from the claim, though, He wasn't removed from the country, just found to not have the paperwork to come home. And that letter wasn't a letter authorising deportation, or anything like it, but a letter to another MP simply listing all the facts of the case. Again, very different from the claim.
Old 30th April 2018, 11:29 AM   #340
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Thanks. That is a different thing from the claim, though, He wasn't removed from the country, just found to not have the paperwork to come home. And that letter wasn't a letter authorising deportation, or anything like it, but a letter to another MP simply listing all the facts of the case. Again, very different from the claim.
A letter that he denied having seen despite signing it.
Old 30th April 2018, 12:02 PM   #341
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

But a letter which doesn't say what you claimed it said, about someone who wasn't ordered to be deported as you claimed. I'm not defending him, but you aren't doing a good job of backing up your misleading claim.
Old 30th April 2018, 12:24 PM   #342
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

But a letter which doesn't say what you claimed it said, about someone who wasn't ordered to be deported as you claimed. I'm not defending him, but you aren't doing a good job of backing up your misleading claim.
I was working from memory. But the inaccuracies of my memory don't explain away his denial of seeing a letter that he signed. Did he forget? Did he lie?
Old 30th April 2018, 12:40 PM   #343
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I was working from memory. But the inaccuracies of my memory don't explain away his denial of seeing a letter that he signed. Did he forget? Did he lie?
He lied. he's a Tory Minister. They are like Trump, they lie without thinking.
Old 30th April 2018, 01:51 PM   #344
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Can you imagine how many letters are put in front of a minister every single day for signature?
Old 30th April 2018, 01:56 PM   #345
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Can you imagine how many letters are put in front of a minister every single day for signature?
And they bear full responsibility for knowing the contents of those letters before they sign. Otherwise not one of those signatures has any validity.
Old 30th April 2018, 02:29 PM   #346
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I think you're confusing the two brothers here. Desmond has not been allowed to return to Britain since he attended his father's funeral in Jamaica. Trevor is still in Britain and has been declared an illegal alien, and he's the one the letter is about.

You're right that Strawberry oversold their claim, but what is the line between declaring someone to be an illegal alien and a deportation order? Isn't the first a setup for the second, especially in the Home Office of May and Rudd?

Brokenshire's comment that "We did, as a Home Office, look compassionately over a number of individual cases" rings quite hollow when you see him reiterate in the letter that Mr. Johnson could not prove British residency for three pairs of subsequent years out of over 40 years, especially as we now know that the Home Office required four pieces of evidence per year.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2018, 02:36 PM   #347
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
And they bear full responsibility for knowing the contents of those letters before they sign. Otherwise not one of those signatures has any validity.
This.

And, according to the Guardian article, he claimed he hadn't seen the letter before. That's belied by his signature. He could have tried "I don't remember". Which still doesn't cut it, he still bears responsibility for what he signed, and he obviously lied about the "compassionate" bit with what we now know of Home Office policy.

Old 4th May 2018, 04:46 AM   #348
3point14
Pi

The thought of a Member of Parliament simply signing everything put in front of them without reading it terrifies me, to be honest. It doesn't surprise me, but it's bloody terrifying.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:23 AM   #349
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

How long has Theresa May got, Peeps?
Old 9th July 2018, 07:37 AM   #350
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
How long has Theresa May got, Peeps?
Difficult to say.

Any of the apparent front runners, Rees-Mogg, BoJo, DD, Gove may have their fan clubs within the Conservative Party, but they also have large numbers of Tory MPs who simply cannot stand them. Throwing over the PM for a successor who may be even less popular isn't necessarily a great idea.

There's also the spectre of Corbyn lurking in the background.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 08:04 AM   #351
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Difficult to say.

Any of the apparent front runners, Rees-Mogg, BoJo, DD, Gove may have their fan clubs within the Conservative Party, but they also have large numbers of Tory MPs who simply cannot stand them. Throwing over the PM for a successor who may be even less popular isn't necessarily a great idea.

There's also the spectre of Corbyn lurking in the background.
Out of curiosity: if the Labour party leader was someone like, say, one of the Miliband brothers, would that, in your opinion, increase or decrease the likelihood of early elections?
Old 9th July 2018, 08:11 AM   #352
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Out of curiosity: if the Labour party leader was someone like, say, one of the Miliband brothers, would that, in your opinion, increase or decrease the likelihood of early elections?
Excellent question. The following is IMO and unscientific.

Ed Miliband now has a bit of a fan following post-defeat that he didn't have beforehand. Pre-loss Ed would have a greater likelihood of an election, they'd likely beat him easily. Post-loss Ed, I'm not so sure about.

I think they'd run scared of David.
Old 9th July 2018, 08:13 AM   #353
angrysoba
Philosophile

May would be long gone if being the Prime Minister was a desirable position now.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 08:15 AM   #354
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Excellent question. The following is IMO and unscientific.

Ed Miliband now has a bit of a fan following post-defeat that he didn't have beforehand. Pre-loss Ed would have a greater likelihood of an election, they'd likely beat him easily. Post-loss Ed, I'm not so sure about.

Thanks.

Such a shame, there are quite a few great people in the Labour party, and then the leader is Corbyn.
Old 9th July 2018, 08:55 AM   #355
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
May would be long gone if being the Prime Minister was a desirable position now.
I agree that being the leader of a deeply divided Conservative Party at a time when that person also has to negotiate through the most critical (and IMO pointless) national crisis in my lifetime isn't really a great prize. I suspect they want Theresa May to see us though a miserable failure of a Brexit, blame her, and then pick up the pieces.
Old 9th July 2018, 10:18 AM   #356
Aber
Graduate Poster

The one who signed the Lisbon treaty...
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 02:00 PM   #357
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I agree that being the leader of a deeply divided Conservative Party at a time when that person also has to negotiate through the most critical (and IMO pointless) national crisis in my lifetime isn't really a great prize. I suspect they want Theresa May to see us though a miserable failure of a Brexit, blame her, and then pick up the pieces.
Which is why May should have used that to her advantage as she at least has seems to have some idea of the economic costs of a hard Brexit
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 03:40 PM   #358
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
The one who signed the Lisbon treaty...
What's wrong with the Lisbon treaty?
Old 9th July 2018, 03:45 PM   #359
fromdownunder
Philosopher

May still seems to be OK as PM for the moment, the life of a Cabinet Minister since last years election, not so much. Eight gone in a year.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 03:55 PM   #360
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

David Cameron Tweet from 2015

"Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband"

How did that work out Dave?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics