ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hallucinations , Jhana Samadhi , psychology , psychology research

Old 15th October 2017, 06:07 AM   #41
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by wengehuang View Post
For your convenience, I pick some essence here:<snip>
TN;DR (Too Nonsensical, Didn't Read)
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:35 AM   #42
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
TN;DR (Too Nonsensical, Didn't Read)
This is a tad unfair. It may still all go south, but the content in the recent post is not irrational.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:43 AM   #43
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
This is a tad unfair. It may still all go south, but the content in the recent post is not irrational.
Maybe not, but it is incomprehensible, at least.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:09 AM   #44
Autolite
Graduate Poster

I have had several 'Sleep Paralysis' episodes in my life complete with tactile, auditory and visual hallucinations. SP is a stress and fatigue related sleep disorder and nothing more. I've actually seen 'The Old Hag' twice so I know how terrifying and realistic these hallucinations can be. I will still sometimes get an auditory hallucination when waking up but they now rare and quite benign.

I can understand why people think that they've actually seen a 'demon' but it's really just all in the head. There's a perfectly rational medical explanation for these types of hallucinations and it has nothing to do with the paranormal or ESP...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jthU9G5PSho

https://www.quora.com/What-causes-sleep-paralysis

https://www.amazon.ca/Wrestling-Ghos...ng+with+ghosts

Last edited by Autolite; 15th October 2017 at 07:15 AM.
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:33 AM   #45
wengehuang
New Blood

Maybe not, but it is incomprehensible, at least.
Sorry, English is not my native language. But it also depends on one's intelligence to grasp the logic of a new theory.
wengehuang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:53 AM   #46
wengehuang
New Blood

I skimmed it. In my recollection, it's much the same as the last time you posted.

Essentially I have no problem with what you say. It's said in a somewhat verbose manner and could do with a diet.

I read it as: Senses may be triggered within the brain, sans a sense organ's involvement. When mixed with the regular operation of the senses, this causes conflicting interpretations in the mind; delusions of varying kinds result.
Sorry, English is not my native language. I have tried to make it clearer this time. You get the point, and actually I should make it pithier. However, besides your comments, what is your point, or original idea about Paranormal Phenomenon? Sorry.
wengehuang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:01 AM   #47
Donn
Philosopher

Sorry, English is not my native language. But it also depends on one's intelligence to grasp the logic of a new theory.
Are you calling it a "theory" in a formal sense? (Because I don't think it's up to that level; however, I am not an expert; nor did I look beyond the abstract you posted.)

.. I should make it pithier.
Pithier implies humour. It probably doesn't need that. It can do with simplification — removing repeats, preferring shorter words and so on.

Quote:
However, besides your comments, what is your point, or original idea about Paranormal Phenomenon? Sorry.
I am not sure I follow that question.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 11:10 AM   #48
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

I don't think you know what logic is. Or theory. Or intelligence.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:28 PM   #49
wengehuang
New Blood

Pithier implies humour. It probably doesn't need that. It can do with simplification — removing repeats, preferring shorter words and so on.

Thanks a lot. You are right.
Old 15th October 2017, 07:32 PM   #50
wengehuang
New Blood

I don't think you know what logic is. Or theory. Or intelligence.
I think the forum needs contribution and discussion, not quarrel.
Old 22nd October 2017, 08:15 PM   #51
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

Might as well have a discussion of what the temperature of a fire-breathing dragon is on Mars.

And what the heck is "ASC"?
Tell me more about this dragon. Is it more full of hot air on Earth than it is on Mars? How hard does it blow? TIA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:34 PM   #52
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
"ASC" seems to mean "altered states of consciousness" in the opening post, see
"Keywords: ..." at the end of the page: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=2959315
"Altered states of consciousness." I have one of those every night. It's called "dreaming."
Old 3rd November 2017, 04:20 PM   #53
Maksutov
Scholar

Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
I have had several 'Sleep Paralysis' episodes in my life complete with tactile, auditory and visual hallucinations. SP is a stress and fatigue related sleep disorder and nothing more. I've actually seen 'The Old Hag' twice so I know how terrifying and realistic these hallucinations can be. I will still sometimes get an auditory hallucination when waking up but they now rare and quite benign.

I can understand why people think that they've actually seen a 'demon' but it's really just all in the head. There's a perfectly rational medical explanation for these types of hallucinations and it has nothing to do with the paranormal or ESP...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jthU9G5PSho

https://www.quora.com/What-causes-sleep-paralysis

https://www.amazon.ca/Wrestling-Ghos...ng+with+ghosts
Very interesting. Are you familiar with Susan Clancy's work?

https://www.amazon.com/Abducted-Peop...sap_bc?ie=UTF8
Maksutov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2017, 01:12 PM   #54
wasapi
Illuminator

In June I had a stroke. Since then I have had 3 or 4 hallucinations. One of them was of my father, another of a favorite pet, both of them died many years ago. In researching strokes, I know that this is not uncommon. It makes me wonder if people who have a brain dysfunction mistake these incidents as paranormal?
Old 4th November 2017, 03:48 PM   #55
Axxman300
Master Poster

I came to this conclusion about a decade ago when I hung up my ghost hunting spurs. People's brains misinterpret a variety of subtle external stimuli that causes hallucinations that are profoundly real. I believe this happens to almost everyone, but they never know it because the hallucination is subtle or unremarkable.

The next step on the research level is learning how to induce specific hallucinations for fun and profit.
Old 5th November 2017, 03:15 PM   #56
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
In June I had a stroke. Since then I have had 3 or 4 hallucinations. One of them was of my father, another of a favorite pet, both of them died many years ago. In researching strokes, I know that this is not uncommon. It makes me wonder if people who have a brain dysfunction mistake these incidents as paranormal?
I was dating this woman who had had a traumatic brain injury about fifteen or so years ago (when we had first met) and she developed a large fantasy world regarding the TBI and the role she attributed to it in her life. She had also apparently had a near-death experience and had a detailed description of what occurred during that event; all invented, of course. She discovered that she was "the savior of all mankind" and was here on Earth to bring everyone into the awareness that we are all one — and we are all God at that. I've mentioned her before here on ISF and I do think that at least some people will develop a fantasy to help explain either what happened (like a catastrophic injury) or what their place is in this life.

Regarding the last bit, I think that's what every person has to develop for themselves; some can manage to do it without fantasy, but some seem to rely upon it.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2017, 09:19 PM   #57
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I came to this conclusion about a decade ago when I hung up my ghost hunting spurs. People's brains misinterpret a variety of subtle external stimuli that causes hallucinations that are profoundly real. I believe this happens to almost everyone, but they never know it because the hallucination is subtle or unremarkable.

The next step on the research level is learning how to induce specific hallucinations for fun and profit.
I love to explore abandoned places, I get in usually with the pretense of telling security I'm filming a ghost hunting show.

Given the right mood, It's a fun self spook
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 02:07 PM   #58
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I think you could extrapolate from that that were are all suffering, for all we know, from false internal perceptions perhaps held together with some form of ESP. What do you think? Or, perhaps were are living in a globe walled off from the rest of the universe for the pleasure of others.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal