IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brendan Dassey , murder cases , Steven Avery , Teresa Halbach

Reply
Old 16th July 2020, 07:06 PM   #361
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,923
I just went straight to Day 3, as Chris suggested, and read from there. Kayla's testimony is the first 22 pages.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 07:29 PM   #362
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,888
excerpts from Kayla's testimony

I may have made some mistakes transcribing it. It sounds as if she repudiated everything that she had said earlier.

The questioner is Attorney Fallon.
p. 13
Q. All right. What did Brendan tell you about the fire? You'll have to pull the microphone a
little closer so we can hear you.
A. He didn't tell me anything. I--I kind of made up the statement. And I'm sorry.

p. 15
Q. And in the written statement that I just showed you, you reported that Brendan told you he
had seen body parts in the fire on Halloween;
right?
A. Yes. But that's not true.
Q. All right. And you also told the officers in a separate conversation that day that you had
seen -- or that Brendan had seen Teresa alive in Steven's trailer?
A. Yes.
Q. All right. So you're telling us you made something up to get Brendan into trouble?
Not really. I was just really confused about everything.
A. Yes.
Q. All right. And that she was pinned up in a chair?
A. Yes. But that's not true.
Q. All right. Now, you're saying today you made that up?
A. Yes.
Q. All right. So you're telling us you made something up to get Brendan into trouble?
A. Not really. I was just really confused about everything.

p. 19
Attorney Fremgen is the questioner.
Q. Okay so you were lying to the police officer?
A. Yes.
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 08:03 PM   #363
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
"All right, I'm just gonna to come out and ask you. Who shot her in the head?"

Officer Weigert.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 10:30 PM   #364
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,197
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
"All right, I'm just gonna to come out and ask you. Who shot her in the head?"

Officer Weigert.
Actually Charlie Wilkes reckons it was officer James Lenk if you go to IA.
Intriguing possibility.

Law enforcement can pull her over and make her unwittingly comply in her own murder.

Last edited by Samson; 16th July 2020 at 10:32 PM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 02:39 AM   #365
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 46,636
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
I may have made some mistakes transcribing it. It sounds as if she repudiated everything that she had said earlier.

The questioner is Attorney Fallon.
p. 13
Q. All right. What did Brendan tell you about the fire? You'll have to pull the microphone a
little closer so we can hear you.
A. He didn't tell me anything. I--I kind of made up the statement. And I'm sorry.

p. 15
Q. And in the written statement that I just showed you, you reported that Brendan told you he
had seen body parts in the fire on Halloween;
right?
A. Yes. But that's not true.
Q. All right. And you also told the officers in a separate conversation that day that you had
seen -- or that Brendan had seen Teresa alive in Steven's trailer?
A. Yes.
Q. All right. So you're telling us you made something up to get Brendan into trouble?
Not really. I was just really confused about everything.
A. Yes.
Q. All right. And that she was pinned up in a chair?
A. Yes. But that's not true.
Q. All right. Now, you're saying today you made that up?
A. Yes.
Q. All right. So you're telling us you made something up to get Brendan into trouble?
A. Not really. I was just really confused about everything.

p. 19
Attorney Fremgen is the questioner.
Q. Okay so you were lying to the police officer?
A. Yes.
Fascinating. Thanks for that.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 03:08 AM   #366
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Kayla later claimed at trial that she lied. However this was to protect Brendan.

She told police the exact same thing Brendan told the police. Teresa tied up in Avery's trailer and Brendan helping him move the body.

The idea that Brendan and Kayla both made up the same story stretches credulity.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 03:14 AM   #367
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
"All right, I'm just gonna to come out and ask you. Who shot her in the head?"

Officer Weigert.
Officer Weigert killed Teresa? Despite the fact the murder weapon is hanging on Avery's bedroom wall, her bones are in Avery's burn pit, his blood is in the victims car and his nextdoor neighbor said they both raped and killed her?

Are you smoking crack? that's crazy!

Last edited by Essexman; 17th July 2020 at 03:18 AM.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 05:28 AM   #368
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Officer Weigert killed Teresa? Despite the fact the murder weapon is hanging on Avery's bedroom wall, her bones are in Avery's burn pit, his blood is in the victims car and his nextdoor neighbor said they both raped and killed her?

Are you smoking crack? that's crazy!
No, that's who asked Brenden that exceedingly leading question.

There was no evidence Teresa was ever in Avery's bedroom, no DNA evidence on the restraints other than Avery's and it was on the handcuffs and leg shackles. There was no evidence that the shackles were attached to the bed. There was no evidence that any of Teresa's blood was in Avery's sink like Brenden said Avery washed her blood off of him in his sink after Avery stabbed her.

ANd what about the Black Jack creeper? There were stains on it, indicating that it wasn't cleaned, but the stains were not blood, so Brenden's testimony that they used the creeper to transfer Teresa to the burn pit is false.

Brenden's confession is false.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 05:57 AM   #369
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
No, that's who asked Brenden that exceedingly leading question.

There was no evidence Teresa was ever in Avery's bedroom, no DNA evidence on the restraints other than Avery's and it was on the handcuffs and leg shackles. There was no evidence that the shackles were attached to the bed. There was no evidence that any of Teresa's blood was in Avery's sink like Brenden said Avery washed her blood off of him in his sink after Avery stabbed her.

ANd what about the Black Jack creeper? There were stains on it, indicating that it wasn't cleaned, but the stains were not blood, so Brenden's testimony that they used the creeper to transfer Teresa to the burn pit is false.

Brenden's confession is false.
They never thoroughly searched Avery's trailer for Teresa's DNA. And he was cleaning the place out with a rug doctor machine not long after she died.

Brendan's confession is not false.

He confessed to his cousin Kayla pior to talking to police.

They found human bones in the quarry where Brendan said Avery hid some.

They found a bullet with the victims DNA on where Brendan said the victim was shot.

The bullet was matched to the gun that Brendan said Avery used.

Brendan said the victim was shot in the left side of the head and they found bullet holes to the left of the victims skull.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 07:02 AM   #370
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
They never thoroughly searched Avery's trailer for Teresa's DNA. And he was cleaning the place out with a rug doctor machine not long after she died.
Yeah, they did, they tested samples from the sink Avery supposedly washed his hands after stabbing Teresa and found none of her DNA, just Avery's.

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Brendan's confession is not false.
Everything he confessed to was fed to him from the police during his interrogation.

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
He confessed to his cousin Kayla pior to talking to police.
Kayla recanted all that on the witness stand.

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
They found human bones in the quarry where Brendan said Avery hid some.
Again, information fed to him by the police.

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post

They found a bullet with the victims DNA on where Brendan said the victim was shot.
Read the transcript of Brenden's interrogation, he said she was shot outside the garage, then inside the garage, he is not credible for the location of the alleged shooting.

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
The bullet was matched to the gun that Brendan said Avery used.
Oh Really?
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Brendan said the victim was shot in the left side of the head and they found bullet holes to the left of the victims skull.
Fifty-fifty guess.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 07:47 AM   #371
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Yeah, they did, they tested samples from the sink Avery supposedly washed his hands after stabbing Teresa and found none of her DNA, just Avery's.
And?


Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post

Everything he confessed to was fed to him from the police during his interrogation.
The police never told Brendan she was raped.

The police never told Brendan she was shot with Avery's 22.

The police never told Brendan that Avery asked him if he "wanted some pussy" "that's how you do it" "did it feel good" and that he was proud of him for raping her.

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post

Kayla recanted all that on the witness stand.
That does not mean she was lying at first.

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post

Again, information fed to him by the police.
Really? Brendan is the one who brought up the bones in the gravel pit.

"FASSBENDER: And what I’m understanding is then in the back of both your yards or his yards, down toward into the pit, over that area?

BRENDAN: In like Radandt’s pit.

FASSBENDER: Oh, Radandt’s pit? (Brendan nods “yes”) not into your ah, (Brendan shakes head “no”) the salvage yard area? (Brendan shakes head “no”) You think you’ll be able to show us that?

BRENDAN: (nods “yes”) Yeah.
"

So I guess they must have planted the bones in Radandt’s pit to corroborate what Brendan "made up"?
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 08:34 AM   #372
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
And?
"Okay."
" None were consistent with Teresa Halbach?"
"Correct"

That's testimony from Ms. Culhane, evidently Teresa was never in the bedroom where alleged rapes took place.

So she wasn't raped where Brendan says she was raped.

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
The police never told Brendan she was raped.

The police never told Brendan she was shot with Avery's 22.

The police never told Brendan that Avery asked him if he "wanted some pussy" "that's how you do it" "did it feel good" and that he was proud of him for raping her.

The police definitely told Brendan that she was shot, before he was asked who shot her, he was saying she was only stabbed, after that he embellished the story quite a bit.

The thing is, if Brendan says they used one of two black jack creepers to move the body, which has been stabbed, the throat cut, shot anywhere from 2 to 10 times, to the fire pit, and there are stains on both creepers indicating that they had not been cleaned, but there was no blood on either creeper.

Kind of puts a hole in the theory that they cleaned up the crime scene.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 08:54 AM   #373
Lerxst
Muse
 
Lerxst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Big D
Posts: 656
Switching topics to the case against Dassey, one has to wonder why would Kayla make this statement and then try to recant it on the witness stand? I don't have an answer for that, and it's always bothered me how dysfunctional this whole family is and the heavy price they all had to pay for it.

Everyone seemed to be more than willing to throw Steven Avery under the bus, and not just once but numerous times. As a parent myself it's just beyond belief that Brendan was interviewed multiple times without at least a parent present. In her defense though she claims she was not notified, but that doesn't explain why it was allowed to happen more than once. I am sure they might have believed at the time they were doing the right thing, and they might have felt even more justified if they are trying to nail Avery, but how they failed to see what was coming is just beyond me.

Cases like this are the reason I tell my child that if they are ever in this situation they are to immediately tell me and not to say anything without a parent there. This is real life, not the movies. "Can you come down to the station and answer a few questions for us?". No. Hell no.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 09:09 AM   #374
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
Switching topics to the case against Dassey, one has to wonder why would Kayla make this statement and then try to recant it on the witness stand? I don't have an answer for that
Exactly. There is only one logical explanation.

Brendan had told Kayla that he had seen Teresa pinned up in Avery's trailer, because that is what Brendan had witnessed. Kayla did not know how much Brendan was truly involved and told the police without knowing how much trouble she would later get him in.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 09:19 AM   #375
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
"Okay."
" None were consistent with Teresa Halbach?"
"Correct"

That's testimony from Ms. Culhane, evidently Teresa was never in the bedroom where alleged rapes took place.

So she wasn't raped where Brendan says she was raped.
No, that testimony from Ms Culhane explains why Avery was cleaning up his place and using a rug doctor the day after she died.

Had they looked harder they probably would have found Halbachs DNA. But why waste more tax payers money when they already have a mountain of evidence?

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
"Okay."

The police definitely told Brendan that she was shot, before he was asked who shot her, he was saying she was only stabbed, after that he embellished the story quite a bit.

The thing is, if Brendan says they used one of two black jack creepers to move the body, which has been stabbed, the throat cut, shot anywhere from 2 to 10 times, to the fire pit, and there are stains on both creepers indicating that they had not been cleaned, but there was no blood on either creeper.

Kind of puts a hole in the theory that they cleaned up the crime scene.
The creepers where not looked at until months after the crime took place. Once you clean something, it gets dirty months later

The only information police fed Brendan was Teresa having tattoos on her stomach. Which unsuprisingly Brendan refused to confirm such a thing.
https://streamable.com/kfrk3
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 09:22 AM   #376
Lerxst
Muse
 
Lerxst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Big D
Posts: 656
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Exactly. There is only one logical explanation.

Brendan had told Kayla that he had seen Teresa pinned up in Avery's trailer, because that is what Brendan had witnessed. Kayla did not know how much Brendan was truly involved and told the police without knowing how much trouble she would later get him in.
They were both children, I don't think we should put much weight on what either of them said. For that reason, I can't really say with any amount of certainty that what either of them said was true. I don't think Kayla was naïve enough to not understand that Brendan would in fact get in serious trouble. Kids, especially teens, are a lot smarter and more observant than we give them credit for.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 09:42 AM   #377
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
They were both children, I don't think we should put much weight on what either of them said. For that reason, I can't really say with any amount of certainty that what either of them said was true. I don't think Kayla was naïve enough to not understand that Brendan would in fact get in serious trouble. Kids, especially teens, are a lot smarter and more observant than we give them credit for.
What Kayla said Brendan said. Is the exact same thing Brendan admitted to the police. It’s not plausible that they would both make up the same story independently.

Brendan and Steven both admit they were together that night. Both in the garage and at the bonfire. One cannot be innocent while the other is guilty.

Unsurprisingly the innocent explanations from Brendan contradicts Stevens. For example Steven said Brendan was helping him clean up rain deer blood in the Garage while Brendan claims he was helping Steven clean up car oil in the garage.

Last edited by Essexman; 17th July 2020 at 09:44 AM.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 10:28 AM   #378
Lerxst
Muse
 
Lerxst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Big D
Posts: 656
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
What Kayla said Brendan said. Is the exact same thing Brendan admitted to the police. It’s not plausible that they would both make up the same story independently.
They were family, and both shared an uncle in Steven Avery. I think that it's quite possible they talked a lot while all this was going on. You're also leaving a lot out...if you read Kayla's statement two things are clear:

1. It's not an elaborate story at all. Brendan is the one who told a story in his confession. She could have easily picked up what she said from the media or from other members of her family, all of whom made it clear that they did not like Steven Avery.
2. She hates her uncle. She says exactly that, one does not need to infer anything. You also brought up the allegations Kayla had against her Uncle, so you can't deny she had a reason to make things up to bury her Uncle.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/th...tement.298789/

It is entirely possible she thought she was doing the right thing and wanted only to see her Uncle pay for what he did, both to Teresa and to herself. She quite clearly realized though that she had also helped seal Brendan's fate, which is why she is so upset at trial. I don't think that these are crocodile tears as some have said. Like I said, as a parent I have a lot of empathy for these kids being pulled into the madness of their Uncle, and I'm not going to discard that family dynamic.

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Brendan and Steven both admit they were together that night. Both in the garage and at the bonfire. One cannot be innocent while the other is guilty.
The law doesn't work this way however, and they were tried and convicted separately. Of course, if Brendan was there that night then he is guilty of a crime, but the evidence does not show he is guilty of the same crimes as Avery.

Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Unsurprisingly the innocent explanations from Brendan contradicts Stevens. For example Steven said Brendan was helping him clean up rain deer blood in the Garage while Brendan claims he was helping Steven clean up car oil in the garage.
Okay, but not much to do with Kayla and why she would have made an initial statement to the police and then say she lied at the trial.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:11 AM   #379
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post



The only information police fed Brendan was Teresa having tattoos on her stomach. Which unsuprisingly Brendan refused to confirm such a thing.
https://streamable.com/kfrk3



Can I quote from the Dr. Phil interview?

When interrogating Brendan the detective asks

"We know Teresa had a tattoo on her stomach"

Then on Dr. Phil

"There was no tattoo on Teresa"

So the cops were lying to Brendan during the interview.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:27 AM   #380
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
The law doesn't work this way however, and they were tried and convicted separately. Of course, if Brendan was there that night then he is guilty of a crime, but the evidence does not show he is guilty of the same crimes as Avery.
Well there you have it!

Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:50 AM   #381
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Can I quote from the Dr. Phil interview?

When interrogating Brendan the detective asks

"We know Teresa had a tattoo on her stomach"

Then on Dr. Phil

"There was no tattoo on Teresa"

So the cops were lying to Brendan during the interview.
Yes. It was a control question to see if he was being truthful or not.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:03 PM   #382
Lerxst
Muse
 
Lerxst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Big D
Posts: 656
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
I noticed you left out the rest of my post.

So what then is Dassey guilty of by simply being present? At what times was he present and what exactly does the evidence show he did?

Do you believe Avery, Dassey, or the prosecution? All of them? None of them?
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:16 PM   #383
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Yes. It was a control question to see if he was being truthful or not.
So the lying cops couldn't come up with a truthful control question?

Obviously Brendan was making stuff up, rather than being truthful, because he gave differing accounts of nearly everything the cops asked him about. Until he said what the cops wanted him to say, and you think that is the truth?

Examples being where Teresa was shot, where on her body she was shot, what he saw in the fire etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:27 PM   #384
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,923
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
What Kayla said Brendan said. Is the exact same thing Brendan admitted to the police. It’s not plausible that they would both make up the same story independently.
But it is plausible that police would extract the same false facts from two different people if that's what they wanted to do.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:43 PM   #385
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
So the lying cops couldn't come up with a truthful control question?
There is no such thing as a truthful control question. The whole point of a control question is to ascertain whether someone is lying by feeding them a lie.


Brendan said he had seen Teresa naked.
Cops tell Brendan "we know Teresa had Tattoos".

Brendan said she didn't have any tattoos. Hence he was being truthful with them. If he was repeating stuff he was being fed as you claim he would have said yes she did have tattoos.

Make sense?
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:50 PM   #386
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
I noticed you left out the rest of my post.

So what then is Dassey guilty of by simply being present? At what times was he present and what exactly does the evidence show he did?

Do you believe Avery, Dassey, or the prosecution? All of them? None of them?

Dassey said he witnessed Avery shoot Teresa with his .22 in the garage. After this admission by Brendan, Investigators find a .22 spent bullet from Avery's 22 rifle with the victims DNA on. They also got a luminol reaction in the exact spot Brendan said he cleaned up the blood. Brendan also knew there were human bones hidden in the quarry pit.

Hence he is guilty of being party to a murder and helping to cover it up.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 01:15 PM   #387
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
There is no such thing as a truthful control question. The whole point of a control question is to ascertain whether someone is lying by feeding them a lie.


Brendan said he had seen Teresa naked.
Cops tell Brendan "we know Teresa had Tattoos".

Brendan said she didn't have any tattoos. Hence he was being truthful with them. If he was repeating stuff he was being fed as you claim he would have said yes she did have tattoos.

Make sense?
Nope, Brendan said he didn't remember any tattoos.

How could Brendan have been truthful if he said that Teresa had been shot both outside and inside of the garage?

From the transcript of Brendan's interrogation

"Then we brung her outside and shot her"
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 02:18 PM   #388
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,888
The date on Kayla's statement

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
But it is plausible that police would extract the same false facts from two different people if that's what they wanted to do.
Point taken. Something that had escaped my notice until I went to the Websleuths link that was posted is that the date on Kayla's statement 03/07/06 is after Brendan's interrogation. To the best of my knowledge there are no recordings or transcripts of what Kalya said earlier.
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 06:51 AM   #389
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Nope, Brendan said he didn't remember any tattoos.
That is because Teresa never had any Tattoos.


Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post

How could Brendan have been truthful if he said that Teresa had been shot both outside and inside of the garage?

From the transcript of Brendan's interrogation

"Then we brung her outside and shot her"
You are misinterpreting Imprecise and vague statements.

He is saying they took her outside as in took her out of Averys trailer.

There is no well defined directly expressed admission that they shot her outside the trailer.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 08:55 AM   #390
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,888
Brendan and the tattoo portion of the interrogation

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Nope, Brendan said he didn't remember any tattoos.
He said that he did not remember what it was. See comment #252 and the video in comment #249.
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 09:53 AM   #391
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
He said that he did not remember what it was. See comment #252 and the video in comment #249.
Yeah, he said both that he didn't remember any tattoos and that he didn't know where or what it was.

So as for passing a control question, I say he didn't pass the control question.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 11:24 AM   #392
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Yeah, he said both that he didn't remember any tattoos and that he didn't know where or what it was.

So as for passing a control question, I say he didn't pass the control question.
Then you are not being objective.

"FASSBENDER: OK. (pause) We know that Teresa had, a tattoo on her stomach, do you remember that?

BRENDAN: (shakes head “no”) uh uh"
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 11:32 AM   #393
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,923
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Then you are not being objective.
In the words of the old Negro spiritual, Physician, heal thyself.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:08 PM   #394
bobdroege7
Illuminator
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Then you are not being objective.

"FASSBENDER: OK. (pause) We know that Teresa had, a tattoo on her stomach, do you remember that?

BRENDAN: (shakes head “no”) uh uh"
Just my opinion, but a control question ought to be something harder to guess than a 50/50 proposition.

After that question when Fassbender asked him if he believed them that Teresa had a tattoo, (they were lying at that point), he responded that he didn't know what the tattoo was.

So we have Brendan answering both ways, and you claim he passed the control question.

Jeez, I hope you never get interrogated like that for something you didn't do.

We have some judges on record saying the confession was coerced and some that say it wasn't, so at this point we can only agree to disagree.

I do find it objectionable that in this country it is legal for cops to lie to you.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 10:13 PM   #395
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Poor Brendan. Kayla made up a story to the police and then Brendan made up the same story. Then cops planted the victims bones in the quarry and planted a bullet with the victims DNA on. All to corroborate what he “made up”.

Poor Steven Avery. The victim was last seen alive walking to his trailer. Then he has an 8 hour bonfire in in his burn pit before someone planted her bones there.

Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 10:30 PM   #396
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,923
Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
Poor Brendan. Kayla made up a story to the police and then Brendan made up the same story.
Well, if (and it is just an "if") the story was extracted by poor police interviewing technique, then that's exactly what you'd expect to happen, isn't it?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 12:13 AM   #397
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,197
When The Atheist changed his mind on the Lundy murders he announced it on thread and posted to his website.
This is very unusual and quite interesting.
We all imagine we would pivot (to employ a fashionable term), but it seems we don't.
I am trying to imagine pivoting and being satisfied Brendan witnessed Teresa being raped in shackles, then emulated. Watched her shot twice inside and outside the garage, helped Brendan move her in the car, then watched an 8 hour bonfire.
He also watched Steve open the hood of the car and disconnect the batteries of the Rav 4 in a distant location.

I may be missing some data...
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 07:01 AM   #398
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
When The Atheist changed his mind on the Lundy murders he announced it on thread and posted to his website.
This is very unusual and quite interesting.
We all imagine we would pivot (to employ a fashionable term), but it seems we don't.
I am trying to imagine pivoting and being satisfied Brendan witnessed Teresa being raped in shackles, then emulated. Watched her shot twice inside and outside the garage, helped Brendan move her in the car, then watched an 8 hour bonfire.
He also watched Steve open the hood of the car and disconnect the batteries of the Rav 4 in a distant location.

I may be missing some data...
When I finished watching the first series of MAM. I was open minded about Avery's case. But convinced Brendan was innocent.

Then with all the subsequent publicity. All the case files were released to the internet along the the questioning footage. Then it became apparent that the whole series was grossly misleading and made purely for profit and entertainment.

There is no shame in admitting being duped by the show, as it deliberatley omitted so much crucial evidence from the viewers.
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 08:35 AM   #399
Lerxst
Muse
 
Lerxst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Big D
Posts: 656
Avery and Dasseys guilt or innocence are not mutually exclusive. This has always been a troubling case because there is so much evidence pointing to Avery, but of course he maintains his innocence and never confessed (saying to his attorney "what me and Brendan done that night" is not a confession). There is very little evidence pointing at Dassey other than this confession.

Brendan could have given a false confession but still be guilty of at least accessory. I don't think we'll ever know the truth.

It would help in finding the truth though if discussions didn't tend to conflate the two separate trials and evidence presented in each.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2020, 10:50 AM   #400
Essexman
Thinker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
Avery and Dasseys guilt or innocence are not mutually exclusive. This has always been a troubling case because there is so much evidence pointing to Avery, but of course he maintains his innocence and never confessed (saying to his attorney "what me and Brendan done that night" is not a confession). There is very little evidence pointing at Dassey other than this confession.

Brendan could have given a false confession but still be guilty of at least accessory. I don't think we'll ever know the truth.

It would help in finding the truth though if discussions didn't tend to conflate the two separate trials and evidence presented in each.
He said “I guess they got it all on film or tape or whatever, what we did that night”
Essexman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.