IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th March 2003, 12:39 PM   #1
Doubt
Philosopher

The first report is always wrong.

The first report is always wrong.

This is an axiom used by military commanders all over the world. It is generally true. When something happens, such as an enemy attack, subordinates will send a message up the chain of command to report what is happening. More often than not, the details of the first report are in error.

There are two reasons why this happens:

1.) Fog of war. It is very hard to tell what is happening at all. The first person to get on the radio and report the details to their superior will not have time to get it right. But they must report immediately so others may react to the situation as it develops.

2.) The chain of communication. Reports of activity are passed around through many different people and places. The result is that the information changes as it is passed on. Much like a game of whisper, where a line of children whisper a message to the person next to them. By the time it reaches the end of the line, the message has changed. The military does have a way to limit that change, but it will happen anyway. Information on the enemy is formatted into a SALUTE report. (Size, Activity, Location, Unit or Uniform, Time, and Equipment.) Unfortunately, this format does not work so well when looking for things like Chemical weapons labs.

What does this mean to you? Well, the next time you hear a report that a chemical weapons plant has been found or that 1,000 tanks are moving South from Baghdad, take it with a grain of salt. More than likely, the military commanders have released the first information that they received. They are most likely not trying to lie to you. Now if they say the same thing over and over again even though the evidence suggests otherwise, than you may have spotted a genuine deception.

So how would this sort of thing happen? Here is a hypothetical example:

1.) Lt. Nobody and his platoon reach a chemical plant. They look around inside and report what the see to the company commander.

2.) The company commander then radios battalion that they have found a chemical plant, but do not know if it is a chemical weapons plant or not.

3.) The battalion S2, (security chief), then sends a message to the brigade S2 saying that they have found a possible chemical weapons plant.

4.) The brigade S2 then sends a message to the divison G2, (still a security chief) that they have found a suspected chemical weapons plant.

5.) The divison G2 reports to the Corps G2 that they have found a probable chemical weapons plant.

6.) This information then is reported to CENTCOM and they tell the media that a chemical weapons plant has been found.

7.) Fox news then reports that it has been confirmed that a chemical weapons plant has been found.

This whole thing can happen in under 3 hours. Wild public speculation follows.
Old 27th March 2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Jocko
Philosopher

I'm afraid I'll have to wait 48 hours to see if this post is correct or not.
Jocko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2003, 12:48 PM   #3
Doubt
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by Jocko
I'm afraid I'll have to wait 48 hours to see if this post is correct or not.
Wait for my follow up: The first response ain't much better.
Old 27th March 2003, 01:11 PM   #4
OdderMensch

Gulf War II

why watch CNN? I'll wait for the DVD to come out.
  Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2003, 01:11 PM   #5
Bearguin
Graduate Poster

And this is what is bugging me about this war.

Why is our need to know so great that we cannot wait 24 hours for confirmed information? Why do we need up to the minute reports?

I'd be just as happy if the news agencies just agreed to a 24 hour delay on these reports and only reported what they know to be reasonable accurate.

I had the same questions about the OJ trials. Why did we need to see into the courtroom while it is going on. Why not wait to report until after the case was closed (but that it another thread).
Bearguin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2003, 02:51 PM   #6
corplinx
JREF Kid

How about a weekly wrapup.
Old 27th March 2003, 03:47 PM   #7
ShowMe
Graduate Poster

To be fair, nobody in the US military said they had discovered a checmical weapons plant. They said they found something that looked like it *could* be a gold mine.

As we all know nothing came of it, but the initial reports came from the Jeruselum Post and all the reports I heard named that source.

"I could tell you that it is because I don't want The Language Award to appear too cliqueish. But I won't. 'Cause you're not one of the cool people." - Tricky
ShowMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2003, 03:49 PM   #8
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by corplinx
How about a weekly wrapup.
I suggest running it on Pay-per-view. That way, they can help recoup some of the cost of the war.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2003, 05:22 PM   #9
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

They just had a perfect example of this. The republican guard was supposed to be pouring out of bagdad to meet the US head on in a massive battle.

Only, they weren't pouring out.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics