ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 20th October 2017, 12:20 AM   #2001
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump learned from the master:
Quote:
It should be mentioned that Vanity Fair reported in 1990 that Trump’s first wife, Ivana, “told her lawyer Michael Kennedy that from time to time her husband reads a book of Hitler’s collected speeches, ‘My New Order,’ which he keeps in a cabinet by his bed.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/o...the-lying.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 01:36 AM   #2002
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Good to know that he can read, at least.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 04:02 AM   #2003
Worm
Graduate Poster

BBC: 'Obama and Bush decry deep US divisions without naming Trump'

Quote:
Former Presidents Barack Obama and George W Bush have voiced concern about the current political climate in the US, in comments seen as a veiled rebuke of Donald Trump's leadership.
Link

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 04:08 AM   #2004
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post

Link
The trouble is that GOP supporters will look at their veiled criticism and agree that yes, the Democrats are indeed divisive
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 04:14 AM   #2005
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Link
Is Trump the cause, or a symptom?
Old 20th October 2017, 04:19 AM   #2006
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So it looks like US put Chad on the travel ban. Chad pulled troops from fight in Niger. U.S. now has casualties due to ignorance of its leader.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 04:19 AM   #2007
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
CINO.

You were a conservative. The ideology has moved well to the right from you.

Failing to check any one of the appropriate boxes removes you from the class.

I suspect you likely fail on other critical touchpoints as well.

How do you feel about teaching evolution in school science classes ... without offering ""alternatives" as equally valid?

Same-sex marriage?
I am a fiscal conservative. On social (and even fiscal) matters I go with evidence-based.
Old 20th October 2017, 05:38 AM   #2008
Stacko
Philosopher

Link
After fundraising for race baiting Ed Gillespie Bush the Lesser said this? Someone just wanted to able to come out in public without getting raked over the coals for his abysmal Presidency.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:53 AM   #2009
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Whoa there - are you being breedist?
Nope - it is just superior descriptivity that draws the eye and the mind to more heavy concentration on the thought expressed. I.e. it is selective advertising!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:55 AM   #2010
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Trump is the primary infection agent.

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:59 AM   #2011
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

More President Trump twitter nonsense:

Originally Posted by 45
Just out report: "United Kingdom crime rises 13% annually amid spread of Radical Islamic terror." Not good, we must keep America safe!
tbh Mr President, I don't think ISIS is responsible for breaking and entering and drunk and disorderly
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:02 AM   #2012
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

tbh Mr President, I don't think ISIS is responsible for breaking and entering and drunk and disorderly
The special relationship has taken a number of blows from his incompetence and lying.

Quote:
Donald Trump was today accused of peddling 'fake news' and stirring up hate after he*wrongly linked the rise in crime in England and Wales to 'Radical Islamic terror'.

The US president sent a tweet referring to figures out yesterday showing crime increased by 13 per cent last year and warning*'We must keep American safe'.*

But British MPs tore into Mr Trump for talking 'nonsense' and said he is 'spreading fear and xenophobia' by wrongly blaming the rise on terrorism.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:05 AM   #2013
Worm
Graduate Poster

This may be a minor point, but he makes the classic mistake. Probably just repeating what many people have reported it as, but still, it pays to check these things.

Trump et al.: UK crime up 13%

Actual report: 13% increase in police-recorded offences across England and Wales

Last time I checked, Police Scotland recorded crime rates were down about 3%.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:09 AM   #2014
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
After fundraising for race baiting Ed Gillespie Bush the Lesser said this? Someone just wanted to able to come out in public without getting raked over the coals for his abysmal Presidency.
Can no one ever just say, “credit where credit is due”?

Listen to Bush’s speech and try to visualize your reaction to his words were they spoken by anyone else.

This is where extreme partisanship rears it’s ugly head - if Bush doesn’t speak up he’d be criticized for that. If he does speak up, virtually no credit regardless of what he says.

I still say credit where credit is due.
Old 20th October 2017, 06:12 AM   #2015
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

Listen to Bush’s speech and try to visualize your reaction to his words were they spoken by anyone else.

This is where extreme partisanship rears it’s ugly head - if Bush doesn’t speak up he’d be criticized for that. If he does speak up, virtually no credit regardless of what he says.

Very true.
On the other hand, would the extreme partisanship we face today even exist without Bush's unnecessary wars and unbridled deregulation policies?

He usually sounded reasonable.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:19 AM   #2016
Stacko
Philosopher

It was hypocrisy. He's literally decrying Trump's divisive race baiting while helping a divisive race baiter. Bush the lesser said the right things but he clearly doesn't believe it based on his actions. Empty platitudes from hypocrites get exactly the credit they deserve.
Old 20th October 2017, 06:27 AM   #2017
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

This may be a minor point, but he makes the classic mistake. Probably just repeating what many people have reported it as, but still, it pays to check these things.

Actual report: 13% increase in police-recorded offences across England and Wales

There is also the effect that public awareness campaigns elevate both the number of reports and the number of recorded crimes.

I can put a concrete example of such things. Some while ago, a housemate (may he burn in hell) ripped my CC to the tune of slightly over 3K. Now, I don't usually have much interaction with the law (only as a witness/victim before you ask) but this was different/new. I was sent a very nice letter giving me an incident number and the investigating cop's name and number. Never happened before. What is interesting is that this recently returned to the news as said former housemate rented out said former house to three Nigerian Blokes. This only came to light when the actual owner went to sell the property.

The point is that I had to hand all of the references to the actual data to hand so that the two cases could be tied together, and as it turns out, the guy has a bucket of similar pending investigations. This kind of campaign for transparency easily spikes the figures. There are plenty more such examples. E.g. The Christmas drink driving campaigns are soon to be upon us. This will result in a spike in recorded crime (yes, it is a crime).

Incidentally, on the back of the letter was a swathe of suggested support agencies, because being a victim of crime can and does have serious effects on the victim. Not required, in my case. I would have preferred a list of assassins. Or possibly torturers.
Old 20th October 2017, 06:30 AM   #2018
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Both.

Wash this space!

Old 20th October 2017, 06:34 AM   #2019
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
It was more than 140 characters.

Wash this space!

Old 20th October 2017, 06:38 AM   #2020
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Very true.
On the other hand, would the extreme partisanship we face today even exist without Bush's unnecessary wars and unbridled deregulation policies?

He usually sounded reasonable.
Yes.
Old 20th October 2017, 06:45 AM   #2021
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Because they have no more personality than any other garbage being thrown out onto the trash heap of history.

Wash this space!

Old 20th October 2017, 06:47 AM   #2022
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I am a fiscal conservative. On social (and even fiscal) matters I go with evidence-based.

Yeah. Like I said.

That one phrase alone would disqualify you for admittance to today's conservatives.

And don't even think about trying to run for office on a GOP ticket.
Old 20th October 2017, 07:08 AM   #2023
C_Felix
Master Poster

Old 20th October 2017, 07:10 AM   #2024
Argumemnon
World Maker

I can't see the picture from here, but I know what it is.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:27 AM   #2025
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

It was hypocrisy. He's literally decrying Trump's divisive race baiting while helping a divisive race baiter. Bush the lesser said the right things but he clearly doesn't believe it based on his actions. Empty platitudes from hypocrites get exactly the credit they deserve.
From that, can I take it that there’s literally nothing he could ever say that you would give him credit for?
Old 20th October 2017, 07:38 AM   #2026
carlosy
Scholar

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Yes it is!

Because people getting sick and tired of ISIS, so they get drunk and have nothing else left to do but braking and entering and spreading chaos.

See, it's so easy to spin.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:53 AM   #2027
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I can and will. Kudos to George W. At this juncture, every little bit helps, and it soothes me to think the Bushes may -- may -- see their part in this sad history. But I'll take the speech; boy, will I.
Old 20th October 2017, 07:56 AM   #2028
Civet
Graduate Poster

Link
Mildly interesting to see Bush criticize Trump in this way. I don't really have a sense of how much influence Bush has with Republican voters these days when compared to Trump. I perceive Trump's vision as the dominant one within the party right now. We know he holds grudges and I wonder how that will manifest here.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 08:20 AM   #2029
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
I can and will. Kudos to George W. At this juncture, every little bit helps, and it soothes me to think the Bushes may -- may -- see their part in this sad history. But I'll take the speech; boy, will I.
Ditto
Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Mildly interesting to see Bush criticize Trump in this way. I don't really have a sense of how much influence Bush has with Republican voters these days when compared to Trump. I perceive Trump's vision as the dominant one within the party right now. We know he holds grudges and I wonder how that will manifest here.
Bush has been critical of Trump since his nomination.

He was a bad president, but still within the normal bounds. Trump is way outside these.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 08:25 AM   #2030
halleyscomet
Philosopher

I'm a conservative. I accept that AGW exists, and is a threat to the Earth. Part of why I oppose Trump.
I believe the technical term for you in modern conservative circles would be "#Beta #Cuck #RINO."

Welcome to the modern Democratic party. Don't worry, it's only slightly to the left of Reagan's GOP, and even then largely on social issues.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 08:31 AM   #2031
lomiller
Philosopher

Symptom IMO. The scary part is the underlying problem is capable of creating worse things than Trump.
Old 20th October 2017, 08:36 AM   #2032
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Symptom IMO. The scary part is the underlying problem is capable of creating worse things than Trump.
Good point. It looks like Trump is shaping up to be the Dietrich Eckart of whatever comes next. Comparing Trump to Hither is paying him a compliment that his place in history will not reflect.

It's ironic really, that he's setting in motion events that are likely to result in the death or exile of one of his kids and her husband. I wonder if he'll live long enough to see it. He is getting up there in years.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 08:38 AM   #2033
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Quote:

I'm not trying to say Bush was a good president (there are many things to criticize him on... economics, foreign policy, etc.)

But, I'm trying to think of anything specifically he might have done personally that would have contributed to any sort of racial conflict. Not saying that it didn't happen, just that I can't think of anything he did. (And I can think of a few positive things he did during his presidency... visiting a mosque shortly after 9/11, supporting a bill that would help give citizenship to illegal immigrants, etc.)

There were republicans who were using racially-based techniques (gerrymandering, etc.), but that was at the lower level.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 08:39 AM   #2034
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Comparing Trump to Hither is paying him a compliment that his place in history will not reflect.

I think it was someone here who commented that Hitler had consistent policies and beliefs, while Trump mirrors the attitudes of whoever he spoke to most recently.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 08:46 AM   #2035
CORed
Philosopher

Damn right. Trumps one saving grace is that he is so damn incometent that he is having little success in implementing his agenda. A competent right wing demagogue could have done a lot more damage.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 08:50 AM   #2036
lomiller
Philosopher

Hypocrisy would require he recognises the similarities, but IMO he probably does not. Bush has always been well meaning but simplistic. He tends to want to address the symptom not the problem. I don’t find it at all unusual that he would want to address the symptoms of Trumps racist diversionist rhetoric while not recognising that it’s fundamentally the same thing someone else he supports is doing.
Old 20th October 2017, 08:52 AM   #2037
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Hypocrisy would require he recognises the similarities, but IMO he probably does not. Bush has always been well meaning but simplistic. He tends to want to address the symptom not the problem. I don’t find it at all unusual that he would want to address the symptoms of Trumps racist diversionist rhetoric while not recognising that it’s fundamentally the same thing someone else he supports is doing.
He won't recognize the similarities because he will focus on the difference. And it's true, he's not as racist as Trump. However, that is a matter of degree, not of kind. That Trump is way overboard does not make a less blatant racist any more acceptable.
Old 20th October 2017, 09:00 AM   #2038
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He won't recognize the similarities because he will focus on the difference. And it's true, he's not as racist as Trump. However, that is a matter of degree, not of kind. That Trump is way overboard does not make a less blatant racist any more acceptable.
Not even if given the choice only between the two?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 09:07 AM   #2039
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds. Trump talked lied about his inauguration crowd in front of the CIA memorial wall.

If anyone disrespects women it's Trump.

Kelly said Wilson shouldn't have listened to the call. Either he knew and lied or didn't know the reason Wilson heard the call was because she was in the car with Johnson on the way to receive the body.

Kelly never addressed Wilson's biggest complaint, Trump didn't appear to know either the Sgt's or his wife's name and referred to the fallen soldier as "your guy".

And Kelly never addressed Trump's lie about what was said in the call, which apparently Trump doubled down on in a Tweet since the press conference.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th October 2017 at 09:09 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 09:15 AM   #2040
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Adding to my previous reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Yeah well, maybe you might consider how it sounded to women. Not to mention Kelly called Trump "brave". ...
I took it more as emphasizing the current disrespect shown by the likes of Harvey Weinstein - and curiously his own boss.
"Curiously"? As in curious Kelly doesn't seem bothered by Trump's behavior?

And you do know the difference between then and now is not that women weren't sexually harassed and abused, it's that they didn't talk about it, weren't believed or no one cared to stop the abusers, right?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th October 2017 at 09:19 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics