ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 20th October 2017, 09:25 AM   #2041
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Adding to my previous reply: "Curiously"? As in curious Kelly doesn't seem bothered by Trump's behavior?

And you do know the difference between then and now is not that women weren't sexually harassed and abused, it's that they didn't talk about it, weren't believed or no one cared to stop the abusers, right?
Or as the idiot in the local coffee shop said, "Women used to enjoy it."
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 09:38 AM   #2042
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Damn right. Trumps one saving grace is that he is so damn incometent that he is having little success in implementing his agenda. A competent right wing demagogue could have done a lot more damage.

You may have just described Pence.
Old 20th October 2017, 09:42 AM   #2043
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Kelly said Wilson shouldn't have listened to the call. Either he knew and lied or didn't know the reason Wilson heard the call was because she was in the car with Johnson on the way to receive the body.

<snip>

And... it was Johnson who chose to put the call on speaker.

Not sure how Wilson could have avoided listening to it. Sticking her fingers in her ears?

That might have seemed a bit disrespectful, too.
Old 20th October 2017, 10:00 AM   #2044
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Damn right. Trumps one saving grace is that he is so damn incometent that he is having little success in implementing his agenda. A competent right wing demagogue could have done a lot more damage.
“Competent” and “right wing” are mutually exclusive at this point so I’m not too worried about that. part

The real risk is someone leveraging the right win machinery to establish a dictatorship, and dictatorships are not inherently right or left wing. I don’t think Trump is actively trying to overturn US democracy, he’s just a narcissist looking for adulation. What concerns me is that he is showing that the right wing political machinery is fully capable and willing to mobilize support for exactly the type of policies that could create a dictatorship.
Old 20th October 2017, 11:30 AM   #2045
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Back on topic, which is the Trump presidency.

Wilson was in the car and had an implicit invitation to listen in on the call. Trump raised the issue, and made a political point about how well he handled these calls. Wilson was angered by this, and Johnson's widow has subsequently supported Wilson's approach on this issue by confirming her story.

She is obviously justifiably upset and angry.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 12:24 PM   #2046
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
The White House flashed its authoritarian streak again on Friday when press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said it was “highly inappropriate” for journalists to fact-check a false claim by Chief of Staff John F. Kelly.

Why? Because Kelly is a retired general and therefore should not be questioned.

In a tense exchange, CBS's Chip Reid asked Sanders about Kelly's assertion on Thursday that Rep. Frederica S. Wilson (D-Fla.) took credit in a 2015 speech for securing federal funding to build an FBI office in Miami. Video of the speech posted on Friday by the Sun Sentinel of Fort Lauderdale shows that Wilson did no such thing but rather praised her Republican colleagues for fast-tracking a bill she sponsored, which named the facility in honor of two FBI agents killed in action.

Sanders said Kelly stands by his claim. Wilson, according to Sanders, “also had quite a few comments that day that weren't part of that speech and weren't part of that video that were also witnessed by many people that were there — what Gen. Kelly referenced yesterday.”

Then came this:

REID: Can he come out here and talk to us about this at some point, so that he can get the facts straight?

SANDERS: I think he's addressed that pretty thoroughly, yesterday.

REID: He was wrong yesterday, in talking about [Wilson] getting the money. The money . . .

SANDERS: If you want to go after Gen. Kelly, that's up to you, but I think that if you want to get into a debate with a four-star Marine general, I think that that's something highly inappropriate.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...4-star-general

Kelly said something that was incorrect and when confronted with this Sanders covers for him because they can't publicly admit they got a fact wrong. Worse of all it's THE media she's arguing with and she can't let her boss see her being humiliated by them.

Oh and it's inappropriate to "get into a debate with a four-star Marine general" for some reason. I mean journalists should just accept all of the fake nonsense that gets peddled from the white house without question.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 12:40 PM   #2047
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
After fundraising for race baiting Ed Gillespie Bush the Lesser said this? Someone just wanted to able to come out in public without getting raked over the coals for his abysmal Presidency.
Gillespie is sad;he was a moderate on the social issues, but saw the success that Trump had with race baiting,and jumped on the band wagon.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 12:43 PM   #2048
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post

Kelly said something that was incorrect and when confronted with this Sanders covers for him because they can't publicly admit they got a fact wrong. Worse of all it's THE media she's arguing with and she can't let her boss see her being humiliated by them.

Oh and it's inappropriate to "get into a debate with a four-star Marine general" for some reason. I mean journalists should just accept all of the fake nonsense that gets peddled from the white house without question.
The "We will say things and you're not supposed to doubt us." attitude started from the very beginning with the stupid inauguration attendance.

The Trump administration seems truly surprised that the press just doesn't regurgitate what they are told. Maybe Putin told Trump that's the way it works for him.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 12:47 PM   #2049
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
The "We will say things and you're not supposed to doubt us." attitude started from the very beginning with the stupid inauguration attendance.

The Trump administration seems truly surprised that the press just doesn't regurgitate what they are told. Maybe Putin told Trump that's the way it works for him.
It just makes me think of my in laws and how they eat this stuff up.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 12:49 PM   #2050
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod Warning Let's keep to the topic of this thread which is not about the protocol of being in a confined space listening or not to someone. Whichness of the why discussions do not belong in this thread.
Posted By:Darat
Old 20th October 2017, 01:04 PM   #2051
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He won't recognize the similarities because he will focus on the difference. And it's true, he's not as racist as Trump. However, that is a matter of degree, not of kind. That Trump is way overboard does not make a less blatant racist any more acceptable.
He's also ignoring his stoking homophobia to get out the vote for himself. Bush the Lesser lecturing someone on being divisive is really rich.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 01:18 PM   #2052
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

It reminds me of one of the xkcd comics, with someone standing in the crowd at a speech holding up a big sign with the Wikipedia [citation needed] on it.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 01:29 PM   #2053
Stacko
Philosopher

Hiding behind past military service while sitting in a civilian government is despicable. They're insulting his previous service and his current office.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 01:31 PM   #2054
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I can ask Kelly. I have no problem picking an argument with a veteran.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 01:37 PM   #2055
Mumbles
Illuminator

It was hypocrisy. He's literally decrying Trump's divisive race baiting while helping a divisive race baiter. Bush the lesser said the right things but he clearly doesn't believe it based on his actions. Empty platitudes from hypocrites get exactly the credit they deserve.
There were also those "push polls" alleging that McCain had a black child out of wedlock back in 2000.

But I thought it was obvious that his remarks were aimed at people like Richard Spencer more than Toupee Fiasco - or at least those particular remarks were. One can have, or play to, subtle biases, and still be disgusted by people marching around at night, carrying torches and shrieking Nazi slogans.

Although, Fiasco does seem to be one of few politicians who couldn't muster an immediate condemnation of that behavior. But he's also the most openly white supremacist president since at least WW2, so no shock there.

ETA: And while I think many of us liberals spent too much time demonizing him - he made massive mistakes, but wasn't the cartoonish supervillian many portrayed him as - I'm also not very impressed by what GWB said here in particular. He condemned nazism and white nationalism. Well, you have to be a real piece of scum to struggle with that.

Last edited by Mumbles; 20th October 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 02:38 PM   #2056
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Or as the idiot in the local coffee shop said, "Women used to enjoy it."

If they don't speak up that means they like it.

If they do speak up then they're ball-busting lesbian FemiNazi bitches.

... and liars.
Old 20th October 2017, 02:40 PM   #2057
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Not showing proper respect for our military.

Unless you're Trump, who knows more than all the generals.
Old 20th October 2017, 02:55 PM   #2058
Garrison
Illuminator

Oh and in case it went unnoticed in all the domestic stupidity Trump found time to annoy the British, again, and get in some Muslim bashing in a twofer!

Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet

Quote:
He said crime in the UK had risen by 13% amid the "spread" of Islamist terror - despite the figure referring to all crimes, not just terrorism.
Reactions from many politicians but this was probably the best;

Quote:
Conservative backbencher Nicholas Soames, grandson of Sir Winston Churchill, called the US president a "daft twerp" who needed to "fix gun control".
Old 20th October 2017, 02:59 PM   #2059
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

ETA: And while I think many of us liberals spent too much time demonizing him - he made massive mistakes, but wasn't the cartoonish supervillian many portrayed him as - I'm also not very impressed by what GWB said here in particular. He condemned nazism and white nationalism. Well, you have to be a real piece of scum to struggle with that.
No, the cartoon supervillains were Cheney and Rumsfeld, to whom Bush stupidly turned over much of the government, especially foreign policy. After he was forced to commute Scooter Libby's sentence, that changed a bit, but it was far too late.

[/derail]
Old 20th October 2017, 03:38 PM   #2060
chrispy
Critical Thinker

He's also ignoring his stoking homophobia to get out the vote for himself. Bush the Lesser lecturing someone on being divisive is really rich.
Yes, but Bush has his 'get out of jail free' card for his political history. I don't think that anyone thought another President would come along so quickly that would offer Bush the chance to NOT be the biggest embarrassment elected in recent memory.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 03:41 PM   #2061
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
And... it was Johnson who chose to put the call on speaker.

Not sure how Wilson could have avoided listening to it. Sticking her fingers in her ears?

That might have seemed a bit disrespectful, too.
I find it interesting how they chide the congresswoman for hearing the call on the speaker phone in the limo, yet they said there were several people in the White House office also listening to the call, on speaker phone.
Old 20th October 2017, 04:13 PM   #2062
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
During Thursday's news conference, Kelly shared the story of his son’s death in Afghanistan, a subject about which he is typically private. He said Gen. Joe Dunford, now chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, had consoled him with words similar to what the president said to Johnson’s widow this week.

“He was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed. He knew what he was getting into by joining that 1 percent,” Kelly said Dunford had told him. “He knew what the possibilities were because we’re at war, and when he died … he was surrounded by the best men on this earth, his friends.”

But Wilson told CNN on Friday that the bottom line was that Johnson’s family had been left hurt and offended by Trump’s remarks. The president’s sentiment, that Johnson “knew what he signed up for,” was inappropriate for a grieving widow, Wilson said.

That Johnson’s body was left behind and not recovered until two days after the initial attack was especially concerning, Wilson said, and further proof that the consolation offered to Kelly when his son died was inappropriate for Johnson’s family. “He was abandoned for two days, for 48 hours. Why?” she said. “Why didn't they pick him up and put him on their shoulders like they did the other fallen comrades, and put him on a helicopter and take him to safety. He could have still been alive.”

“That is not a good message to say to anyone who has lost a child at war. You don't sign up because you knew you're going to die. You sign up to serve your country,” she said. “There's nothing to misinterpret. He said what he said. I just don't agree with it. I don't agree that that is what you should say to grieving families.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/1...ly-feud-243987

Kelly's defense of Trump relied on personal attacks on Wilson's reputation based upon a lie.

Not only did he lie about her he also engaged in the same kind of combative media bashing that other Trump administration officials have engaged in.

Irredeemable. Absolutely irredeemable.

Edit: I'll point out that Trump has continued to attack the congresswoman and still maintains that she lied and made up everything, not withstanding the fact that Kelly more or less confirmed the fact that Trump did say what she said he did (or something very similar). Still waiting for that proof to show up.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 20th October 2017 at 04:37 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:11 PM   #2063
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Hiding behind past military service while sitting in a civilian government is despicable. They're insulting his previous service and his current office.
Sarah is an idiot;and I am rapidly losing respect for Kelly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:14 PM   #2064
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Adding to my previous reply: "Curiously"? As in curious Kelly doesn't seem bothered by Trump's behavior?
"Curiously was not the best choice of words - it was early!

I was probably going for something more like "ironically".

Quote:
And you do know the difference between then and now is not that women weren't sexually harassed and abused, it's that they didn't talk about it, weren't believed or no one cared to stop the abusers, right?
Of course.
Old 20th October 2017, 05:36 PM   #2065
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

It was hypocrisy. He's literally decrying Trump's divisive race baiting while helping a divisive race baiter. Bush the lesser said the right things but he clearly doesn't believe it based on his actions. Empty platitudes from hypocrites get exactly the credit they deserve.
I do believe Trump is a master race baiter - I am quite certain he master race baits several times a day over pictures of dead children - and US soldiers it now appears from a recent phone call he made!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:37 PM   #2066
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Ditto

Bush has been critical of Trump since his nomination.

He was a bad president, but still within the normal bounds. Trump is way outside these.
Sadly that is very much true!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 05:54 PM   #2067
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
In Asia, “numbah 10!” means “bad”.
Him trumpf be numbah 10 *******!

Wash this space!

Old 20th October 2017, 05:55 PM   #2068
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I am pretty sure it is Golden Showers the Republickers enjoy!!!!!
Though for a number of them it would be brown showers!!!

Wash this space!

Old 20th October 2017, 05:58 PM   #2069
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Though for a number of them it would be brown showers!!!
Or, the famous Japanese sport of tired businessmen: Bukkake!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 20th October 2017, 06:54 PM   #2070
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Another fudged up piece was the women are sacred comment. What a bizarre way to describe women.
Old 20th October 2017, 07:44 PM   #2071
Stacko
Philosopher

They just keep finding new lows.

Quote:
In the hours after President Donald Trump said on an Oct. 17 radio broadcast that he had contacted nearly every family that had lost a military servicemember this year, the White House was hustling to learn from the Pentagon the identities and contact information for those families, according to an internal Defense Department email.

The email exchange, which has not been previously reported, shows that senior White House aides were aware on the day the president made the statement that it was not accurate — but that they should try to make it accurate as soon as possible, given the gathering controversy.

Not only had the president not contacted virtually all the families of military personnel killed this year, the White House did not even have an up-to-date list of those who had been killed.

The exchange between the White House and the Defense secretary’s office occurred about 5 p.m. on Oct. 17. The White House asked the Pentagon for information about surviving family members of all servicemembers killed after Trump’s inauguration so that the president could be sure to contact all of them.
Old 20th October 2017, 07:54 PM   #2072
Stacko
Philosopher

He can't even make contact when Fox stooges are soft tossing questions right down the middle of the plate.
Old 20th October 2017, 08:02 PM   #2073
Civet
Graduate Poster

Astonishing how many of Trump's PR problems would be solved by him just saying and doing nothing. If he just stuck to promoting his awful policies he'd probably become a Republican legend like Reagan (as long as he could deliver a tax cut). If he got hooked binge-watching something on Netflix for a couple of weeks his popularity would explode.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 08:25 PM   #2074
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Astonishing how many of Trump's PR problems would be solved by him just saying and doing nothing. If he just stuck to promoting his awful policies he'd probably become a Republican legend like Reagan (as long as he could deliver a tax cut). If he got hooked binge-watching something on Netflix for a couple of weeks his popularity would explode.
You can see this in the polls. His highest lows (meaning that less people ticked of the box "Wish he would fall into a chasm in Yosemite Park") are when he stayed off the airwaves in ethernet and behaved, God Forbid, presidential for a few days. The last of those was during the hurricane hits before he decided to go get personal and share his brainfarts with his adoring patch of public. I think just before the first hurricane he read a prepared speech and sounded almost normal, then went home and shut up for a couple of days.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 09:25 PM   #2075
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Wait, how is asking the DoD evidence that they knew it was false rather than trying to make sure that they didn't miss anyone? In my work, when a client asks a question we give the answer to the best of our knowledge, then we double-check.
Old 20th October 2017, 10:54 PM   #2076
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

He can't even make contact when Fox stooges are soft tossing questions right down the middle of the plate.
"Civilian life"

I suppose that he's now a politician instead of a civilian, but it does feel that President Trump thinks he is now a member of the military because he is Commander in Chief. Given that we already know that he wanted a military parade for his inauguration, should we now expect him to get a Commander in Chief uniform made, bedecked with spurious medals ? Will he acquire an honorary military title ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 11:52 PM   #2077
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
"Civilian life"

I suppose that he's now a politician instead of a civilian, but it does feel that President Trump thinks he is now a member of the military because he is Commander in Chief. Given that we already know that he wanted a military parade for his inauguration, should we now expect him to get a Commander in Chief uniform made, bedecked with spurious medals ? Will he acquire an honorary military title ?

He's already got one.

You just used it.

Twice.

Of course, he might want one that sounds more impressive to the ears of adult children. Maybe "Generalissimo"?

Der Fuhrer?

Last edited by quadraginta; 20th October 2017 at 11:54 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 12:11 AM   #2078
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Quote:
“If you want to get into a debate with a four-star Marine general, I think that that’s something highly inappropriate,” she said.
Ah, these sweet monarchists of Trump's Republican Party, always seeking superior Übermensch to bow to, in line with the traditions in dark caves for eons. Nothing like good ole boys and gals to drive home just how wafer thin the veneer of civilization is, how close the mindless brute.
Old 21st October 2017, 12:32 AM   #2079
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Luckily for them, Obama was a Kenyan Muslim, or else they would have had to respect him just as much.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st October 2017, 12:38 AM   #2080
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I'm a conservative. I accept that AGW exists, and is a threat to the Earth. Part of why I oppose Trump.
How can you call yourself a conservative if you don't think Earth is 5000 years old and science is the tricks of Satan?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics