ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th September 2017, 10:12 AM   #361
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It's giving a 404 error. Is this some kind of homeopathic reasoning, where there used to be a line of argument but it's infinitely stronger now that it doesn't exist any more?

Dave
Corrected link
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/5/3/pdfs/99-0305.pdf

It doesnt help Kumar's point, or course.
Old 11th September 2017, 01:11 PM   #362
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Homeopaths now has proper medical training? Just at par to modern med system except difference in durgs.
No they don't.

Hans
Old 11th September 2017, 01:46 PM   #363
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yes, but to be an effective homeopathic argument in his favour it would have to refute him in its undiluted form.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 02:19 PM   #364
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Kumar: Defends homeopathy with fallacies and a bit of a lie

Mass presence, persistence since long and continued growth of anything should also be better evidence of creditability.
12 September 2017 Kumar: Defends homeopathy with fallacies and a bit of a lie
  1. Appeal to popularity.
    The real stupidity in the appeal to popularity fallacy is that it states that the more popular something is, the better it is. Guess how popular working conventional medicine is !
  2. An ignorant appeal to antiquity (homeopathy has only been around since 1796!)
    Quack remedies lasting for a long time does not make them medicine. They have to actually cure something first.
  3. Homeopathy is probably dying, not growing.
    Public opposition is growing as people learn more about how insane it is (active ingredients that do not work and are then removed!).
    Some hospitals are no longer offering homeopathic services.
    Some universities are shutting down homeopathic degree courses.
    The US FDA is getting tougher on OTC homeopathic remedies.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 02:29 PM   #365
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Kumar: An ignorant fantasy that popularity = effectiveness

But people opting it also endorss its effectiveness.
12 September 2017 Kumar: An ignorant fantasy that popularity = effectiveness.
People experiencing the placebo effect does not make sugar pills effective.
People dying does not endorse the effectiveness of sugar pills.
People being sick does not endorse the effectiveness of sugar pills.

Bloodletting (usually to balance imaginary humors in the blood) was extremely popular for about 2000 years. It had no effectiveness.
Ditto for acupuncture which has almost no effectiveness.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 08:17 PM   #366
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
No they don't.

Hans
I know very well. See:
https://targetstudy.com/courses/bhms.html

Even they do Medical human dissection.
Old 11th September 2017, 08:19 PM   #367
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No. As you have probably noticed, the qualifications are not accepted outside India.
That do not mean that they are not properly medical trainted.
Old 11th September 2017, 08:22 PM   #368
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Corrected link
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/5/3/pdfs/99-0305.pdf

Thanks. That link was opening at my end.

This link seems to indicate some other reason to blood letting.
Old 11th September 2017, 09:08 PM   #369
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Kumar: Links to a web site lying about homeopathy

12 September 2017 Kumar: Links to a web site lying about homeopathy.
The "highly diluted substances" in homeopathy have no active ingredients and thus do nothing.

Just because people offer degrees in homeopathy, does not mean that all homeopaths have those degrees. There are diplomas of homeopathy, etc.

Last edited by Reality Check; 11th September 2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11th September 2017, 11:48 PM   #370
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

If I were just a little less scrupulous, I could make tons of money... There are people out there desperate to believe any old nonsense...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 12:20 AM   #371
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
True, but by using this analogy yourself, you are now calling homeopathy a cancer.

I think I'd agree with you there, Kumar. Homeopathy is a cancer on humanity and its practice should be wiped out.
Well done.
Irrelevant! Non-sense!!
Old 12th September 2017, 12:54 AM   #372
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I know very well. See:

5 1/2 years ... admission, a written test, minimum age 17. ...

Well, thank you for proving my point, Kumar.

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 12th September 2017 at 12:55 AM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 01:19 AM   #373
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Hans
It is quite ok. Nothing to arugeon it. If still not satisfied, simple google search will satisfy you. I know very well because my very close relative done it even upto MD.
Old 12th September 2017, 01:46 AM   #374
fagin
Illuminator

I know very well. See:

Dissection by correspondence course/distance learning? Seriously, did you even read the 'course' outline? Where do they get the bodies?

That do not mean that they are not properly medical trainted.
I assume 'medical trainted' has nothing to do with actual, real medical training, like a actual, real doctor would do.

Irrelevant! Non-sense!!
Which accurately describes most (all?) of your posts.

Hans
And you can do the course via correspondence. Just how I like my doctor trained.

It is quite ok. Nothing to arugeon it. If still not satisfied, simple google search will satisfy you. I know very well because my very close relative done it even upto MD.
We know Kumar, your daughter. The non doctor.
Old 12th September 2017, 02:01 AM   #375
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Dissection by correspondence course/distance learning? Seriously, did you even read the 'course' outline? Where do they get the bodies?

I assume 'medical trainted' has nothing to do with actual, real medical training, like a actual, real doctor would do.

Which accurately describes most (all?) of your posts.

And you can do the course via correspondence. Just how I like my doctor trained.

We know Kumar, your daughter. The non doctor.
I do not talk on this idiocy any more.
Old 12th September 2017, 02:45 AM   #376
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I do not talk on this idiocy any more.
Oh, I suspect you will.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 03:52 AM   #377
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Oh, I suspect you will.

Dave
100% i.e A&F. If fagin do not applozize properly or punished for his/her úncivility beyond all limíts inspite of hís/her no contribution. I shall not discuss on this forum anymore. Promise.
If anyone is so addicted to doubting all, he/she should first submit scan copy of his/her DNA reports justifying truth of relations with parents, children and other blood relations, scientifically. Sorry.
Old 12th September 2017, 04:00 AM   #378
BillC
Bazooka Joe

My, we've come a long way since 'is PE potential to do work, or tendency of a pendulum to return to its rest position? '
Old 12th September 2017, 04:02 AM   #379
fagin
Illuminator

If I've been 'uncivil' I suggest you report my post to the mods.

I see nothing whatsoever I need apologise for.

Point out any inaccuracies in my post and I'll reconsider.
Old 12th September 2017, 04:06 AM   #380
Dave Rogers

100% i.e A&F. If fagin do not applozize properly or punished for his/her úncivility beyond all limíts inspite of hís/her no contribution. I shall not discuss on this forum anymore. Promise.
This is still talking about it.

If anyone is so addicted to doubting all, he/she should first submit scan copy of his/her DNA reports justifying truth of relations with parents, children and other blood relations, scientifically. Sorry.
Wrong. Skepticism allows for a reasonable level of evidence to support an unexceptional claim. In the case of homeopathy, there is good reason, on the basis of well understood physics, to be certain that there is in fact no active ingredient present in the doses given, there is overwhelming medical evidence that the fundamental "like drives out like" principle is completely incorrect, and there is ample evidence, when studies are not carefully cherry-picked, that homeopathic treatment is indistinguishable from no treatment at all. All the evidence is persuasively against it. This is in no way comparable with your strawman argument.

Dave

Old 12th September 2017, 06:08 AM   #381
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Where's the vid of Randi downing a fresh bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills at the start of a live presentation?

As I recall.. they weren't very effective.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 06:51 AM   #382
Georg
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Where's the vid of Randi downing a fresh bottle of homeopathic sleeping pills at the start of a live presentation?

As I recall.. they weren't very effective.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Georg; 12th September 2017 at 07:10 AM.
Georg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 07:12 AM   #383
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

fagin, you know what to do. Or, rather, what not to do. We have faith in you
Old 12th September 2017, 09:54 AM   #384
fagin
Illuminator

The power! Can I handle it? Or will I weaken in anticipation of the next thrilling episode?

Same bat **** crazy channel, same bat **** crazy time.

ps. I can be bribed with cake or bacons.

Last edited by Agatha; 12th September 2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: split compound words so that Otto can see the swears
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 12:24 PM   #385
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Boring, Kumar. You have promised this before. It is only an excuse to bail out of a discussion you realize you are loosing.

You always come back.

Hans
Old 12th September 2017, 07:43 PM   #386
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Boring, Kumar. You have promised this before. It is only an excuse to bail out of a discussion you realize you are loosing.

You always come back.

Hans
No. Your above statement is contradictory. I simply maintained courtesy and obligation esp to those who also contributed.
Old 13th September 2017, 02:09 AM   #387
Mojo
Mostly harmless

No. Your above statement is contradictory. I simply maintained courtesy and obligation esp to those who also contributed.

Ignoring the explanations people have taken the trouble to post for you is not courteous.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 04:09 AM   #388
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Ignoring the explanations people have taken the trouble to post for you is not courteous.
Mass presence and well distributed facts even practical, legal and least side effect model could not satisfy you, it will simply suggest some perceived agenda in sefish interests or just idiócy. Those who neither contribute nor required in díscussions also neither studied at par nor A&f,, how can be entitled to do personal harsh remarks. Seems, have no respect n care for his near ones.
Any way, since, no required action is prefered, I am leaving permanently. I do got more convinced by these and other discussions, here and elsewheres, that homeopathic model does hold validity, therefore much accepted and leagaly approved and much supported.

Enjoy in you. Thanks all for wharever shared or got. See you at up. Good Bye.
Old 13th September 2017, 04:12 AM   #389
BillC
Bazooka Joe

See you next thread.
Old 13th September 2017, 04:28 AM   #390
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Enjoy in you.(
I'm not enjoying in anyone who posted in this thread, thank you very much.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:17 AM   #391
Argumemnon
World Maker

practical observàtións
Are those like pragmatic cóñsîdéràtïôns?
Old 13th September 2017, 05:27 AM   #392
fagin
Illuminator

I do got more convinced by these and other discussions, here and elsewheres, that homeopathic model does hold validity, therefore much accepted and leagaly approved and much supported.

...(
I think you might have missed every single post except your own.

I eagerly await your next thread.

Goodbye until then.
Old 13th September 2017, 06:04 AM   #393
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I eagerly await your next thread.
Or your next post in this one saying you won't be posting in it any more.

Dave

Old 13th September 2017, 06:22 AM   #394
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Ze flounce, she is difficult to stick.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:27 PM   #395
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Mass presence and well distributed facts even practical, legal and least side effect model could not satisfy you, it will simply suggest some perceived agenda in sefish interests...

Remind me, Kumar: whose family has a financial interest in homoeopathy?

Quote:
...or just idiócy.

No comment.

Quote:
Those who neither contribute nor required in díscussions also neither studied at par nor A&f,, how can be entitled to do personal harsh remarks.

Remember when you accused me of misappropriation of public funds because I wasn't prepared to waste my time and money trying to validate your half-baked (and obviously wrong) conjectures?

Quote:
Seems, have no respect n care for his near ones.

No, But I have little respect for people who are wilfully ignorant.

Quote:
Any way, since, no required action is prefered, I am leaving permanently. I do got more convinced by these and other discussions, here and elsewheres, that homeopathic model does hold validity, therefore much accepted and leagaly approved and much supported.

As I said, I have little respect for the wilfully ignorant.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 12:52 PM   #396
malbui
Beauf

So to summarise my understanding of things: Kumar has been using technical terms he doesn't understand in a language he barely speaks in order to describe mechanisms that cannot work that explain phenomena that do not exist. And now he's going home in a sulk because it's all so far beyond incoherent that it's less than worthless.

There's probably a moral in there somewhere.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:11 PM   #397
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Mass presence and well distributed facts even practical, legal and least side effect model could not satisfy you, it will simply suggest some perceived agenda in sefish interests or just idiócy. Those who neither contribute nor required in díscussions also neither studied at par nor A&f,, how can be entitled to do personal harsh remarks. Seems, have no respect n care for his near ones.
Insults everyone and whines about being insulted. Sure....

Quote:
Any way, since, no required action is prefered, I am leaving permanently.
That is a good idea. There must be something better you can to with your time that discussing subjects you don't understand in a language you will not even try to master.

Quote:
I do got more convinced by these and other discussions, here and elsewheres, that homeopathic model does hold validity, therefore much accepted and leagaly approved and much supported.
- And we can certainly use our time better than trying to educate someone who will not be educated.

Quote:
Enjoy in you. Thanks all for wharever shared or got. See you at up. Good Bye.
I don't know where "up." is, but if I see you here again, I'm going to make quite a bit fun of you.

Bye...

Hans

Last edited by Agatha; 13th September 2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: fix quote tags
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 01:30 PM   #398
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning Amazingly, tasty delicious bacon isn't on topic in every thread. I'm not entirely sure what the topic of this thread is, but bacon isn't it. Return to discussing "potential energy -- dynamics?", please.
Posted By:Agatha

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 07:15 PM   #399
Peregrinus
Muse

Just a bit of fun attached to the A&F trope kumar seemed obsessed with.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 09:34 PM   #400
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know where "up." is, but if I see you here again, I'm going to make quite a bit fun of you.

Bye...

Hans
Just to give you respect.

Making of my fun will be making your fun because my intention remains either to give dynamics or share not otherwise. I substancially achieved but people here couldn't due to ego, selfish interests, preceptions etc. I mean due to many odds embeded in constitution. Anyway enjow yourself and make your fun on your own or with others here. Best luck and thanks finally. Do not reply it pls.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology