ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , weather incidents

Old 4th September 2017, 02:20 PM   #1
Bob001
Philosopher

Irma's Coming!

Category 4 Hurricane Irma may hit Florida; too early to be sure.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=49608171
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The Governor of Florida has declared a state of emergency as Irma moves to a category 4 storm.

Better safe than sorry. The readiness is all. Miami is in the direct path.

If it goes to Cuba and Puerto Rica it will lose a lot of its momentum. (So I am informed.)

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 02:42 PM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you just know that Mar-A-Lago is going to get all the help it needs.
Old 4th September 2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Argumemnon
World Maker

Man, Americans can't catch a break. Up here all we have to deal with is cold.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just looked that up on Google.

OMG! It's Donald Trump's golf club.

It's all coming home.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 02:50 PM   #6
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Man, Americans can't catch a break. Up here all we have to deal with is cold.
Didn't realize you were in Canada. That explains a lot.
Old 4th September 2017, 02:51 PM   #7
Steve
Illuminator

Oh yeah. The resources thrown at this one will make Texas look like it doesn't exist.

Can't wait for the pics of Trump filling sandbags.
Old 4th September 2017, 02:56 PM   #8
newyorkguy
Philosopher

It's not expected to hit Florida until next Saturday evening.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irma's Projected Path 090417.jpg (94.0 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 02:58 PM   #9
C_Felix
Master Poster

Dear Florida,

It has been nice knowing you.

Hugs and kisses,
-The other 49
Old 4th September 2017, 03:04 PM   #10
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Category 4 Hurricane Irma may hit Florida; too early to be sure.
Side note: I thought all hurricanes in the same year would be given a name in the same gender (with a switch every few years between the male and female.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 03:06 PM   #11
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Side note: I thought all hurricanes in the same year would be given a name in the same gender (with a switch every few years between the male and female.)
No, gender alternates with each letter every year. I think the gender of "a" switches yearly.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 03:33 PM   #12
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Didn't realize you were in Canada. That explains a lot.
It does, eh?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 03:35 PM   #13
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
No, gender alternates with each letter every year. I think the gender of "a" switches yearly.
It's only a matter of time before they start using gender-fluid names and pronouns for these things.

Old 4th September 2017, 03:56 PM   #14
autumn1971
Master Poster

It's only a matter of time before they start using gender-fluid names and pronouns for these things.
There are a lot of gender-neutral names, I'm sure some have been used. They are simply the gender that is next in line.

Also the names of very damaging hurricanes are "retired" to avoid future confusion. As a Floridian I really hope to see some future Irmas.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 05:03 PM   #15
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I remember hearing about how they are named so I looked it up.

Quote:
Hurricanes’ names are selected by the World Meteorological Organization. Every six years, the list of names begins again! However, the names of especially destructive hurricanes are usually retired.

Atlantic Tropical (and Subtropical) Storm Names for 2017

Arlene Bret Cindy
Don Emily Franklin
Gert Harvey Irma
Jose Katia Lee
Maria Nate Ophelia
Philippe Rina Sean
Tammy Vince Whitney

Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 05:05 PM   #16
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Remember when they ran out of names and had to go well into Latin letters?
Old 4th September 2017, 05:10 PM   #17
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Remember when they ran out of names and had to go well into Latin letters?
Greek. In 2005, the names made it all the way to Zeta.

Last edited by jadebox; 4th September 2017 at 05:13 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 05:36 PM   #18
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't anybody here remember the disaster hysteria that made landfall after Katrina?

I barely made it through with my anxiety intact. I would not have made it if it wasn't for the distraction of duck taping my house.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 05:37 PM   #19
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Greek. In 2005, the names made it all the way to Zeta.
Greek. My mistake.
It was crazy! Zeta was in January I think.
Old 4th September 2017, 05:50 PM   #20
angrysoba
Philosophile

"I know how people in Houston and New Orleans felt. My golf course got really wet and I couldn't play on it for days!"
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 05:58 PM   #21
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Got a hotel room reserved for me, the wife, and the three floofy things about 3 miles inland if worse comes to worse.

Luckily I've got flood insurance and relatively decent deductible hurricane insurance and most of the projections don't have it hitting Jax directly.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 06:23 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

"three floofy things"

Glad you are planning ahead.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 06:27 PM   #23
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah although a 3-4 hour drive with our cranky old Calico in her cat carrier loudly vocalizing her disapproval the entire time and I might turn around and drive headfirst into the eyewall.

JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 07:00 PM   #24
Jodie
Philosopher

I don't understand why they give these hurricanes such common names. If you called this one Immobulus Death 2017, rather than Irma, that might be a better name that reflects the hurricanes true danger.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 07:02 PM   #25
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We should petition NOAA to name all hurricanes after Game of Thrones characters next year.

Old 4th September 2017, 08:23 PM   #26
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
We should petition NOAA to name all hurricanes after Game of Thrones characters next year.
Close:
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Irma_Mali

I've already started make preparations for a possible visit from Irma. I have lived in Florida for about 50 years and had never really experienced how scary a hurricane can be until Charley tore through here in 2004. And, by the time it reached us near Orlando, it was barely a Category 2. I have no desire to see what a stronger storm is like.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 08:45 PM   #27
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I remember hearing about how they are named so I looked it up.

Hurricanes’ names are selected by the World Meteorological Organization. Every six years, the list of names begins again! However, the names of especially destructive hurricanes are usually retired.

Quote:
Atlantic Tropical (and Subtropical) Storm Names for 2017

Arlene Bret Cindy
Don Emily Franklin
Gert Harvey Irma
Jose Katia Lee
Maria Nate Ophelia
Philippe Rina Sean
Tammy Vince Whitney

Link

I feel a little sorry for the kid who has to go through grade school with a name like Don Emily Franklin
Old 4th September 2017, 08:52 PM   #28
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Another red state will come begging for federal dollars. Not that I begrudge them any charity, but remind me again, any GOP members, which states are the biggest moochers?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2017, 09:17 PM   #29
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Y'all gotta keep up! I is the 9th letter, so 9th storm of the season. In the Pacific, we're up to Nos. 15 and 16, still active but not real dangerous looking.

Here, with the names, fahgeddaboutit. The Philippines have decided that they're the typhoon capital of the world so are giving their own names. So we have two different names for every storm, but sometimes the Philippines doesn't name one that doesn't come near them, so their count isn't up to 16, just yet. The most damaging typhoon this years was Hato(ph: Isang) and was #17-013 for the Pacific. In the Philippines it was only the 9th.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 12:16 AM   #30
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Doesn't anybody here remember the disaster hysteria that made landfall after Katrina?
Yeah, talk about much ado about nothing.

Hardly anyone white and middle-class died.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 12:35 AM   #31
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I don't understand why they give these hurricanes such common names. If you called this one Immobulus Death 2017, rather than Irma, that might be a better name that reflects the hurricanes true danger.
It would also dillute the power of those names to the point of ridicule.

Unless the Immodubuls Death really killed tens of thousands of course.

McHrozni
Old 5th September 2017, 01:28 AM   #32
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I had a mom-friend-in-law called Irma, so while I think your suggestion is great, I don't really think Immolluable Death really reflects a big enough danger variance.

Last edited by TofuFighter; 5th September 2017 at 01:29 AM.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 03:36 AM   #33
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I think giving hurricance's people's name a good idea. Sounds better than 'Hurricane no. 987665456'.

They each have their own individual character.

Irma looks massive, speeding up all the time. Expecting to hit Florida area Friday, now.

Some scaremongerers are saying it will be a 6.

Could equally be like Matthew or Andrew and just fizzle out.

Old 5th September 2017, 04:32 AM   #34
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I think giving hurricance's people's name a good idea. Sounds better than 'Hurricane no. 987665456'.

They each have their own individual character.
Plus, it gives you a reason to take out your frustrations on people with the same name that year.

Old 5th September 2017, 04:43 AM   #35
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Plus, it gives you a reason to take out your frustrations on people with the same name that year.
I always wondered why they didn't name blizzards or winter storms. When I tell people I survived that really bad blizzard in what was it? '71? I have to remember "the blizzard of '71". How much easier to remember Blizzard Mirielle? Actually you could name it after persons or events of that year. Hurricane Dryden. ('71 was the big winter and was the year that Ken stepped into the nets in the Forum)

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 5th September 2017 at 05:05 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 05:03 AM   #36
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I don't recall Matthew but Andrew was far from fizzling out. It was one of the worst storms to hit South Florida.
Quote:
On Aug. 24, 1992, Hurricane Andrew struck Florida, causing record damage; 55 deaths in Florida, Louisiana and the Bahamas were attributed either directly or indirectly to the storm. Scenes of the storm’s aftermath were surreal — row upon row of houses looked as if they had been crushed by giants or leveled by bombs. Entire subdivisions were reduced to seas of broken boards and shattered glass.

Hurricane Andrew’s legacy, however, is the economic toll it took on the state of Florida. Until Hurricane Katrina in 2005, Andrew was the costliest natural disaster in United States history, causing an estimated $30 billion in damage. Additionally, a quarter of a million people were left homeless in the wake of the storm, as their houses were destroyed or inaccessible. Link
Old 5th September 2017, 05:13 AM   #37
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Now a Category 5.

I had a storm quickly blow in yesterday, with two or three gusts of maybe 50-60 mph. I thought it was going to take my tree and definitely lifted up my non-permanent gazebo. Imagine that 2-3 times worse, going on for days. I just did. Scary.
Old 5th September 2017, 05:27 AM   #38
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

That only seems fair.
Old 5th September 2017, 05:39 AM   #39
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The one I recall hitting New York was Hurricane Floyd in 1999. It hit on a Friday in mid-day and I was at work. I was doing admin work and I recall following it that morning as it hit Washington DC over the Internet on my office PC. I think I had Windows95. Most government offices in Washington were closing down by late morning and the transit agency, WMATA, put everything it had into a very early rush hour. Then they announced they were shutting down in advance of the main part of the storm about 11AM or 12PM. I was following this over the Internet in real time. People were posting on message boards in Washington, things like, "Why am I still at work? When are they going to let us go home?" I recall one woman posting that she had been turned away by a transit bus; that by, I don't know, 12:15?, the order had gone out to the bus operators to no longer pick people up. Just drop off the riders still on board and then head back to the garages. Apparently it was starting to get pretty bad and the bus operators wanted to go home too! Anyway, she wrote that she had banged on the bus' front door but the driver wouldn't open up. He was only opening the back door to let people get off. She said she pleaded with him but he just shook his head. This happened to a number of people and it became a news item. The transit agency took a lot of heat for doing that: leaving riders at bus stops on their own during a hurricane.

I was in the Operations section of a manufacturing plant and when the office finally sent everyone home we couldn't leave until we "secured" everything. The leading edge of the storm hit around 1 PM and it was very scary. Heavy rain, high wind gusts. I guess around 2PM the eye of the storm was approaching and everything calmed down. People in my section began leaving on their own, including me. To take advantage of the calm before the trailing edge hit. It was surreal, too, when the eye was directly overhead the sun came out!

I think I got a ride home or I took the bus, in my area they may have been still running, and I made it home just as the trailing edge struck. Incredibly the local McDonald's was still open. I was in there getting coffee when the rain started again. The staff were laughing, saying they were all going to be swept away probably. I remember the asst. manager, a woman I had gotten to know pretty well (and who was friends with my wife), saying to me, "You're home early, did they let you go?" When I said yes she said, "I wish they'd let us go." She told me they were staying open, for one thing so city employees would have a place to get coffee and food.

I got in the house literally as the storm broke. Everyone else was home. Only Daddy had been been dumb enough to go to work that day. (The schools never opened.) Within minutes the winds were whipping and we had a torrential downpour. As I remember, the winds weren't as strong in the second round but the rain was much much heavier. I have never seen it rain like that. Except maybe in Vietnam during the rainy season. A deluge, Biblical. New York suffered a lot of serious flooding from Floyd.

I've been paranoid about hurricanes ever since and for some reason I don't like the feel of this one, of Irma.

Last edited by newyorkguy; 5th September 2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 5th September 2017, 05:41 AM   #40
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Latest breathless report (i.e. "BREAKING NEWS") --

"Hurricane Irma is now a Category 5. We'll tell you what that means for Puerto Rico and Florida after the break."

Oh, never mind about the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Cuba. Those aren't American territories.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events