ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , weather incidents

Old 5th September 2017, 05:42 AM   #41
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I always wondered why they didn't name blizzards or winter storms.
While not official, the Weather Channel does this with particularly strong winter storms and often local news and such just use those.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 05:55 AM   #42
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Latest breathless report (i.e. "BREAKING NEWS") --

"Hurricane Irma is now a Category 5. We'll tell you what that means for Puerto Rico and Florida after the break."

Oh, never mind about the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Cuba. Those aren't American territories.
I have a friend in St. Maarten. Hope she's ok.
Old 5th September 2017, 06:11 AM   #43
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Possibly the reason a U.S. TV station wouldn't give weather reports affecting the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Cuba is, the station has no viewers in those places? Btw, according to the National Hurricane Center the storm seems to be slowing down. It is now predicted to hit Florida late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irma's Track 090517 9AM.jpg (74.0 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 11:23 AM   #44
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
<snip>
I think I got a ride home or I took the bus, in my area they may have been still running, and I made it home just as the trailing edge struck. Incredibly the local McDonald's was still open. I was in there getting coffee when the rain started again. The staff were laughing, saying they were all going to be swept away probably. I remember the asst. manager, a woman I had gotten to know pretty well (and who was friends with my wife), saying to me, "You're home early, did they let you go?" When I said yes she said, "I wish they'd let us go." She told me they were staying open, for one thing so city employees would have a place to get coffee and food.

<snip>

Waffle House IndexWP
Quote:
The Waffle House Index is an informal metric used by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to determine the effect of a storm and the likely scale of assistance required for disaster recovery.[1]
"If you get there and the Waffle House is closed? That's really bad. That's when you go to work."[2]
The index has three levels, based on the extent of operations and service at the restaurant following a storm:[2][3]
  • GREEN: full menu - restaurant has power and damage is limited.
  • YELLOW: limited menu - no power or only power from a generator, or food supplies may be low.
  • RED: the restaurant is closed - indicating severe damage.
The term was coined by FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate in May 2011, following the 2011 Joplin tornado; when the two Waffle House restaurants in the city remained open.[4][5]
The measure is based on the reputation of the Waffle House restaurant chain for staying open during extreme weather and for reopening quickly, albeit sometimes with a limited menu, after very severe weather events such as tornadoes or hurricanes. Waffle House, along with other chains, such as Home Depot, Walmart, and Lowe's, which do a significant proportion of their business in the southern US where there is a frequent risk of hurricanes, have good risk management and disaster preparedness. Because of this, and a cut-down menu prepared for times when there is no power or limited supplies, the Waffle House Index rarely reaches the red level.[4][2]
The Waffle House Index sits alongside more formal measures of wind, rainfall, and other weather information, such as the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Scale, which are used to indicate the intensity of a storm.[2]

On Thursday October 6th 2016, the index reached red when all Waffle House restaurants on Florida's I-95 between Titusville and Fort Pierce were closed. This was caused by Hurricane Matthew ravaging Caribbean islands and the east coast of the United States.[6]
Old 5th September 2017, 11:25 AM   #45
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Yeah although a 3-4 hour drive with our cranky old Calico in her cat carrier loudly vocalizing her disapproval the entire time and I might turn around and drive headfirst into the eyewall.

Quite right, too! Got to keep up cat standards. Remember, they own you, not the other way round.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 11:31 AM   #46
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't recall Matthew but Andrew was far from fizzling out. It was one of the worst storms to hit South Florida.
My bad.

Matthew was pretty gruesome, too:

Quote:
Hurricane Matthew was a powerful and devastating tropical cyclone which became the first Category 5 Atlantic hurricane since Hurricane Felix in 2007. The thirteenth named storm, fifth hurricane and second major hurricane of the 2016 Atlantic hurricane season, Matthew wrought widespread destruction and catastrophic loss of life during its journey across the Western Atlantic, including parts of Haiti, Cuba, Dominican Republic, the Lucayan Archipelago, the southeastern United States, and the Canadian Maritimes.

A total of 603 deaths have been attributed to the storm, including 546 in Haiti, 47 in the United States, 4 in Cuba, 4 in the Dominican Republic, 1 in Colombia, and 1 in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, making it the deadliest Atlantic hurricane since Hurricane Stan in 2005, which killed 1,600 in Central America. With the storm causing damages estimated in excess of US$15 billion, it was also the most destructive Atlantic hurricane since Hurricane Sandy in 2012, as well as the ninth-costliest Atlantic hurricane in recorded history.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 12:41 PM   #47
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

No way, Jose!

(Look behind Irma)
Old 5th September 2017, 12:57 PM   #48
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Quote:
I think I got a ride home or I took the bus, in my area they may have been still running, and I made it home just as the trailing edge struck. Incredibly the local McDonald's was still open. I was in there getting coffee when the rain started again. The staff were laughing, saying they were all going to be swept away probably. I remember the asst. manager, a woman I had gotten to know pretty well (and who was friends with my wife), saying to me, "You're home early, did they let you go?" When I said yes she said, "I wish they'd let us go." She told me they were staying open, for one thing so city employees would have a place to get coffee and food.
They weren't willingly staying open out of a magnanimous willingness to serve unfortunate city employees. They were staying open because the corporate office will not allow the restaurant to close if it has power, water, and no damage, regardless of other circumstances.

I worked at a McDonald's in Ohio during a rare blizzard in the 00's. The location was at a collection of large shopping plazas where a state route met the Interstate. Every single establishment, restaurant, and gas station there closed early in preparation for the incoming blizzard, but not us - not even after the snow was so bad that the county sheriff's department had closed the road and many nearby ones. The blizzard came around 9:30; the restaurant closed at midnight. I was nearly stranded in deep snow halfway home when my car engine quit in the middle of what on any other day was a busy four-lane state highway.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 02:04 PM   #49
C_Felix
Master Poster

Tropical storm Jose has formed in the equatorial Atlantic. If it threatens the US, there's a "Trump, wall, DACA, dreamers, immigrants" joke just waiting to be crafted.
Old 5th September 2017, 02:05 PM   #50
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

In Boca. I'll let you know how it goes.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 02:19 PM   #51
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

Good luck.

Hope this one decides to hang a right and head out out to sea.

Last edited by quadraginta; 5th September 2017 at 02:21 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 02:24 PM   #52
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Set up a live stream..?

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Old 5th September 2017, 04:45 PM   #53
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

damn. This looks to be headed right for st. Maarten.
Old 5th September 2017, 05:07 PM   #54
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Man, Americans can't catch a break. Up here all we have to deal with is cold.

We've had a break. We've had a good 10 years or so since Katrina with almost nothing in the way of hurricanes (in spite of prognostications there'd be tons right after Katrina -- any good skeptic could predict those predictions were BS thanks to regression to the mean, and I did so at the time, and saved off web pages of predictions, which I then deleted because now these predictions are tracked.)

One can make a much more solid prediction that every hurricane will be exaggerated at the feet of AGW rather than the reality that a few percent increase in temperature yields a few extra hurricanes every century and a few percent stronger on average. Not a sudden massive increase in every-500-year storms.

Feel free to write down my predictions.

And none of this matters because in a hundred years (barring a collapse of civilization at the hands of dictators and over-regulators) we'll all be uploaded into computers and living the life of Reilly. Even my "complete Trantorization of Earth" will be meaningless.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 5th September 2017 at 05:12 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 05:14 PM   #55
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
We've had a break. We've had a good 10 years or so since Katrina with almost nothing in the way of hurricanes (in spite of prognostications there'd be tons right after Katrina
You may want to research that.
Old 5th September 2017, 06:44 PM   #56
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
We've had a break. We've had a good 10 years or so since Katrina with almost nothing in the way of hurricanes (in spite of prognostications there'd be tons right after Katrina -- any good skeptic could predict those predictions were BS thanks to regression to the mean, and I did so at the time, and saved off web pages of predictions, which I then deleted because now these predictions are tracked.)

One can make a much more solid prediction that every hurricane will be exaggerated at the feet of AGW rather than the reality that a few percent increase in temperature yields a few extra hurricanes every century and a few percent stronger on average. Not a sudden massive increase in every-500-year storms.

Feel free to write down my predictions.

And none of this matters because in a hundred years (barring a collapse of civilization at the hands of dictators and over-regulators) we'll all be uploaded into computers and living the life of Reilly. Even my "complete Trantorization of Earth" will be meaningless.
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I think that's what happens when you try to shoe-horn facts to fit an agenda.

Going backwards.... banner years for the Atlantic season in

2016, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008. So, yeah, other than those years it's all bit a lot of doomsayers and CCH (Climate Change Hippies).

In fact, Beerina may be confusing the "OMG can New Orleans Take Another Hit" headlines before Rita made landfall to the east. Rita, did a shed load of damage; people along the Mississippi Gulf Coast lost everything. The construction codes have had to be changed because those once-in-a-hundred years storms, well, they do happen and it turns out that building cracker boxes two hundred yards off the shore line isn't such a good idea.

There were two additional Cat. 5 hurricanes after Katrina. They didn't devastate a major metropolis so it's easy to say "Oh pshaw, another one that didn't hit!" Tell that to the folks in Gulfport or the Yucatan, though.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 5th September 2017 at 06:45 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 06:55 PM   #57
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

It looks like it's going to hit Puerto Rico full force. It won't lose much strength over the islands before it gets there, but worse... The Dominican Republic and Haiti are going to get it again, possibly a massive hit. It's still a slow-moving storm, though, and could get pushed north a bit and have a less-devastating near miss on Hispaniola. (Which would be the folks I'd worry most about.)
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 06:55 PM   #58
Steve
Master Poster

I took the liberty of doing a little research myself. It appears that Beerina is correct. Based on the linked chart the past 10 years have been boringly average in regards to Atlantic cyclonic storms. There appears to have been no major hurricanes in the US over that period.

Interesting and surprising to me from that chart is that the accumulated cyclone energy averaged over the last decade is almost the same as the average over the entire chart since 1851 (arithmetic done in my head so not completely accurate). On the face of it this appears to mean that the energy of cyclonic storms in total is not increasing as much as is generally thought.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E11.html

Last edited by Steve; 5th September 2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: to complete a sentence
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 07:02 PM   #59
Mumbles
Illuminator

I always wondered why they didn't name blizzards or winter storms. When I tell people I survived that really bad blizzard in what was it? '71? I have to remember "the blizzard of '71". How much easier to remember Blizzard Mirielle? Actually you could name it after persons or events of that year. Hurricane Dryden. ('71 was the big winter and was the year that Ken stepped into the nets in the Forum)
I suspect it's because blizzards simply aren't as well-formed as hurricanes/tropical storms are - instead of formed eyes, expected wind patterns, and so on, it's just a bunch of precipitation and maybe wind.

(Doesn't mean people don't come up with names for blizzards on their own - my fave's still Snowtorious B.I.G.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 07:06 PM   #60
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I took the liberty of doing a little research myself. It appears that Beerina is correct. Based on the linked chart the past 10 years have been boringly average in regards to Atlantic cyclonic storms. There appears to have been no major hurricanes in the US over that period.

Interesting and surprising to me from that chart is that the accumulated cyclone energy averaged over the last decade is almost the same as the average over the entire chart since 1851 (arithmetic done in my head so not completely accurate). On the face of it this appears to mean that the energy of cyclonic storms in total is not increasing as much as is generally thought.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E11.html
Link doesn't work.
Old 5th September 2017, 07:12 PM   #61
Steve
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I suspect it's because blizzards simply aren't as well-formed as hurricanes/tropical storms are - instead of formed eyes, expected wind patterns, and so on, it's just a bunch of precipitation and maybe wind.

(Doesn't mean people don't come up with names for blizzards on their own - my fave's still Snowtorious B.I.G.)
Actually a blizzard is wind that moves enough snow through the air to seriously reduce visibility. It may involve precipitation as falling snow but it can also occur without precipitation by moving large volumes of snow already on the ground.
Old 5th September 2017, 07:14 PM   #62
Steve
Master Poster

Link doesn't work.
Works for me but for some reason takes about 15 seconds to open.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:42 PM   #63
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Why is the criteria "in the us"? Shouldn't it be from the Atlantic and/or Gulf?
Hell, katrina wasn't the most powerful hurricane that year!
Old 5th September 2017, 10:10 PM   #64
Steve
Master Poster

Why is the criteria "in the us"? Shouldn't it be from the Atlantic and/or Gulf?
Hell, katrina wasn't the most powerful hurricane that year!
Based on Beerina's "We've had a break. We've had a good 10 years or so since Katrina with almost nothing in the way of hurricanes", I assumed he was referring to the US. If I am mistaken I will retract that sentence. The chart covers all Atlantic cyclonic storms and indicates that the past decade has been nothing special compared to previous decades re the number or severity of hurricanes.

2005 seems to be a bit of an aberration for both total storms and major storms.
All years in the subsequent decade have much lower totals, with only 2010 coming close.

Last edited by Steve; 5th September 2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: changed 2012 to 2010
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 10:51 PM   #65
Ozzie
New Blood

I hope everyone is doing well in the wake of all these hurricanes.
Ozzie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 03:21 AM   #66
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I think that's what happens when you try to shoe-horn facts to fit an agenda.

Going backwards.... banner years for the Atlantic season in

2016, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008. So, yeah, other than those years it's all bit a lot of doomsayers and CCH (Climate Change Hippies).

In fact, Beerina may be confusing the "OMG can New Orleans Take Another Hit" headlines before Rita made landfall to the east. Rita, did a shed load of damage; people along the Mississippi Gulf Coast lost everything. The construction codes have had to be changed because those once-in-a-hundred years storms, well, they do happen and it turns out that building cracker boxes two hundred yards off the shore line isn't such a good idea.

There were two additional Cat. 5 hurricanes after Katrina. They didn't devastate a major metropolis so it's easy to say "Oh pshaw, another one that didn't hit!" Tell that to the folks in Gulfport or the Yucatan, though.

Matthew killed 47 people and did ten billion worth of damage in the U.S. alone. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina were all declared Federal Disaster Areas.

That was less than a year ago. Hard to remember that far back, I guess.

Just
Old 6th September 2017, 03:39 AM   #67
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody has heard anything at all from Barbuda since the hurricane hit 2-4 hours ago.

Storm surge 40 ft - highest elevation 32 ft. Police reported their station was being destroyed.

Complete silence.

1,600 live there. So worrying.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Old 6th September 2017, 04:47 AM   #68
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

My friend reports she's in the eye right now.
Old 6th September 2017, 04:49 AM   #69
Argumemnon
World Maker

Does she feel watched?
Old 6th September 2017, 05:28 AM   #70
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Based on Beerina's "We've had a break. We've had a good 10 years or so since Katrina with almost nothing in the way of hurricanes", I assumed he was referring to the US. If I am mistaken I will retract that sentence. The chart covers all Atlantic cyclonic storms and indicates that the past decade has been nothing special compared to previous decades re the number or severity of hurricanes.

2005 seems to be a bit of an aberration for both total storms and major storms.
All years in the subsequent decade have much lower totals, with only 2010 coming close.
Chris Landsea is known to be problematic when it comes to questions of climate.

http://www.climatechangefacts.info/C...erFromIPCC.htm
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:04 AM   #71
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC, after Katrina the doomsayers were forecastin 6 of those storms per year, the southern states are DOOMED I tell you! DOOMED!
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:09 AM   #72
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
IIRC, after Katrina the doomsayers were forecastin 6 of those storms per year, the southern states are DOOMED I tell you! DOOMED!
Forget the doomsayers. What did the actual experts say?

It's never a good idea to argue against a theory or philosophy by singling out the extremists and idiots who happen to support it.
Old 6th September 2017, 07:22 AM   #73
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Yeah although a 3-4 hour drive with our cranky old Calico in her cat carrier loudly vocalizing her disapproval the entire time and I might turn around and drive headfirst into the eyewall.
I hear you. I have a half bengal that doesn't even sound like a cat when she gets upset. She makes a weird warbling sound that stops people dead in their tracks if you happen to stop for gas. They start circling your car looking for signs of a trapped human in the trunk.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 07:46 AM   #74
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Actually, the experts are calling for more severe storms. Whether that's due to Global Warming or not is not addressed. They've been borne out by the higher number of Cat. 4 and 5 storms.

The "doomsayers" as you call them, are the television stations that are trying to sell soap powder. The producers call in the people who will give them the best spin(s) on the story(ies). If one station has a staid sciencey type who cites the data and says that there's going to be high wind and rain and the other station has a guy who says that "It's got the potential to be the most devastating thing since records were first kept! OMG Frogs, Locusts, Boils!", that latter station gets the ratings points and sells the most Fab.
Old 6th September 2017, 09:46 AM   #75
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I don't understand why they give these hurricanes such common names. If you called this one Immobulus Death 2017, rather than Irma, that might be a better name that reflects the hurricanes true danger.
Hurricane Megatron would be scarier than Hurricane Cecil, I do admit.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 10:39 AM   #76
Steve
Master Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Chris Landsea is known to be problematic when it comes to questions of climate.

http://www.climatechangefacts.info/C...erFromIPCC.htm
What is the relationship between your comment and my post that you quoted?
Old 6th September 2017, 10:56 AM   #77
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

Rush Limbaugh seems pretty sure that Irma's just fake news, nothing much to worry about. Alex Jones, on the other hand, thinks it's a weapon, probably created by the Deep State. Say...didn't that star Linda Lovelace?
Old 6th September 2017, 11:35 AM   #78
crackers
Muse

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I hear you. I have a half bengal that doesn't even sound like a cat when she gets upset. She makes a weird warbling sound that stops people dead in their tracks if you happen to stop for gas. They start circling your car looking for signs of a trapped human in the trunk.
Thanks, JoeBentley and Jodie! I needed a good laugh!

Hope everyone in the threatened areas stays safe...preferably by going somewhere OUTSIDE the threatened areas!
crackers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 12:29 PM   #79
IIIClovisIII
Muse

In Indiana we are experiencing some cold ass weather. Just as during the peak of Harvey.

Is there a link?
IIIClovisIII is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 01:07 PM   #80
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Now 12 - 18 hours since being in the eye of the hurricance and STILL no communication at all from anybody in Barbuda. Yes, networks are down, but ham radio can run on battery power.

We've had pictures from St Maartens (St Martins) and from St Bart's (St Bartelmy) which were similar small islands devastated by the winds.

The silence from Barbuda is kind of eerie.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events