ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , weather incidents

Old 6th September 2017, 01:08 PM   #81
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IIIClovisIII View Post
In Indiana we are experiencing some cold ass weather. Just as during the peak of Harvey.

Is there a link?
Nah. It's called autumn. Comes once a year. After summer.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 01:14 PM   #82
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Now 12 - 18 hours since being in the eye of the hurricance and STILL no communication at all from anybody in Barbuda. Yes, networks are down, but ham radio can run on battery power.

We've had pictures from St Maartens (St Martins) and from St Bart's (St Bartelmy) which were similar small islands devastated by the winds.

The silence from Barbuda is kind of eerie.
Ham radio may operate on batteries, but still requires an antenna. If all those are down...

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:26 PM   #83
newyorkguy
Philosopher

It's not just the number of hurricanes it's also their characteristics and severity. Lest we forget, Harvey wasn't just an usually destructive hurricane, it was a historically destructive hurricane. Even the Washington Times agrees with that.
Quote:
Hurricane Harvey’s rainfall topped 50 inches in some spots, setting a record for the continental U.S. Link

The scientific consensus is, climate change is underway, human activity is driving it and there will be some bad effects which we are already beginning to see.
Quote:
The intensity, frequency, and duration of North Atlantic hurricanes, as well as the frequency of the strongest hurricanes, have all increased since the early 1980s. Hurricane intensity and rainfall are projected to increase as the climate continues to warm. Link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Observed Trends in Heavy Precipitation, U.S..jpg (78.4 KB, 10 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 01:44 PM   #84
C_Felix
Master Poster

Which maps/sites do we prefer?

There's so many models out there...
Old 6th September 2017, 01:49 PM   #85
Argumemnon
World Maker

Not in Westeros it doesn't.
Old 6th September 2017, 01:53 PM   #86
crescent
Graduate Poster

Now 12 - 18 hours since being in the eye of the hurricance and STILL no communication at all from anybody in Barbuda. Yes, networks are down, but ham radio can run on battery power.

We've had pictures from St Maartens (St Martins) and from St Bart's (St Bartelmy) which were similar small islands devastated by the winds.

The silence from Barbuda is kind of eerie.
They got a helicopter to Barbuda and have some limited information. 90% of the housing destroyed, 1 fatality. That's all very preliminary.

ABS Television/Radio (Facebook page)
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 02:05 PM   #87
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like the Prime Minister of Barbuda has now arrived by helicopter and surveyed the scene.

Apparently 90% of buildings destroyed. One fatality reported.

It'll be great news of the majority of the 1,300 or so remaining residents survived.

He is said to be in tears, and saying, 'Total devastation', over and over again.

Ah, ninja-ed.

Fingers crossed.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 02:50 PM   #88
Argumemnon
World Maker

Ah, ninja-ed.
That is one slow ninja.
Old 6th September 2017, 03:27 PM   #89
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Which maps/sites do we prefer?

There's so many models out there...
I prefer to go to the source. National Hurricane Center.
Old 6th September 2017, 04:46 PM   #90
Modified
Philosopher

Just went to the grocery store in SW Florida near the coast. Beef jerky, canned meat, and granola bars are cleaned out. Yogurt shelves are completely full, which I've never seen before. I mean, the storm won't be here for three days - nobody wants to eat yogurt for the next three days?
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 04:48 PM   #91
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Just went to the grocery store in SW Florida near the coast. Beef jerky, canned meat, and granola bars are cleaned out. Yogurt shelves are completely full, which I've never seen before. I mean, the storm won't be here for three days - nobody wants to eat yogurt for the next three days?
Eat yogurt until the power goes out, granola after.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 6th September 2017, 04:54 PM   #92
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Eat yogurt until the power goes out, granola after.
We bought yogurt, eggs, grapes, and potato chips. I guess people don't consider potato chips a good emergency food as there was plenty left.

Oh, I forgot to mention the bananas were also gone.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 05:46 PM   #93
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

We bought yogurt, eggs, grapes, and potato chips. I guess people don't consider potato chips a good emergency food as there was plenty left.

Oh, I forgot to mention the bananas were also gone.
Yoghurt is good. You can just about make it last forever by culturing a little every week. Potato crisps, not so good: too more-ish, you'll finish them straight away.

Grapes, super, but short shelf life. Have to consume quickly.

'Yes, we have no bananas'.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Old 6th September 2017, 06:21 PM   #94
Modified
Philosopher

Yoghurt is good. You can just about make it last forever by culturing a little every week. Potato crisps, not so good: too more-ish, you'll finish them straight away.

Grapes, super, but short shelf life. Have to consume quickly.
Sure, but like I said if we do stay we need to eat for the next three days while we'll definitely have power.

All those bananas people bought will be brown by the time the hurricane gets here.
Old 6th September 2017, 06:49 PM   #95
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

We've decided to hunker down here in inland Palm Beach County. Tomorrow, we'll be hoarding water and looking to fill in some gaps - OTC meds, cell-phone chargers, etc. We're preparing for 5 days without power or safe water. After that ...

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 12:01 AM   #96
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

So it tracked northwards, staying offshore from Puerto Rico and looks like the same for Hispaniola. This is good. I don't want to wish ill on anyone in Florida (well, there's that one guy, Florida Man, but he'll get his regardless), but Floridians are immensely better prepared than the inhabitants of the Dominican Republic and Haiti, as history has taught us.

Irma? Is that a Jewish name? I think it's going to trash Mar-A-Lago.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 02:01 AM   #97
3point14
Pi

It's funny, over here in the UK, one of our national pastimes is complaining about the weather.

In reality, we really don't have a lot to actually complain about

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 02:43 AM   #98
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
It's funny, over here in the UK, one of our national pastimes is complaining about the weather.

Back in the post-Katrina era when everyone but everyone was sending out FlickR links to "devastation at our house due to Hurricane X", someone in the UK sent out one about the storm damage they suffered from a big one... It was a photo of a lawn chair blown over.

ETA: Actually, it was a picture of a lawn chair on its side. Could've been staged.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 02:53 AM   #99
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Been reading quite few reports and the like on social media and I'm struck by the number of comments asking god to protect them, keep them safe etc. (Don't read much directly on social media so this may be nothing unusual - just unusual for me to read it.)

I think many have their faith in the wrong place.
Old 7th September 2017, 03:35 AM   #100
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

tbh that's the British psyche, complain bitterly about minor things (but even if steps can be taken to ameliorate the situation, do nothing*) but when there is a genuine crisis, quietly and stoically get on with dealing with it.

* - for example complain about the food and service amongst yourselves but not to the waitron
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 03:50 AM   #101
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What is the relationship between your comment and my post that you quoted?
Landsea has removed himself from the mainstream climate science and doesn't accept it. He brings up statistics to suit his world view and ignores the big picture. Weather events are becoming more destructive.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 03:53 AM   #102
Bluegill
Graduate Poster

Some years ago we had lots of storm-related power outages here in Louisville, and we had about a dozen containers of yogurt in our refrigerator. In our hot dark house, at dinner time, I told my wife, "Hell, I'm going to eat the yogurt for dinner."

I think I was on my third container when my wife, who was quite pregnant and near tears, irately demanded that I take her to Steak 'n' Shake.

We still laugh about it. Thank goodness.
Bluegill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 03:58 AM   #103
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
tbh that's the British psyche, complain bitterly about minor things (but even if steps can be taken to ameliorate the situation, do nothing*) but when there is a genuine crisis, quietly and stoically get on with dealing with it.

* - for example complain about the food and service amongst yourselves but not to the waitron
The reason why our weather is a topic of interest is that although we don't get the extremes it is very variable over time and geography so there is always something new to talk about.

...hold on a second.... I forgot you live in Wales now, you'll have to take my word that it doesn't rain all the time in rest of the UK!
Old 7th September 2017, 04:12 AM   #104
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm planning to use my hurricane supplies to pick up on women I'd normally have no chance with.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 04:12 AM   #105
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The reason why our weather is a topic of interest is that although we don't get the extremes it is very variable over time and geography so there is always something new to talk about.

...hold on a second.... I forgot you live in Wales now, you'll have to take my word that it doesn't rain all the time in rest of the UK!
Nah, the weatherman on tv is a good time to go and make a cup of tea.

~ Todd Beamer
Flight 93, 9/11
Old 7th September 2017, 04:22 AM   #106
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
So it tracked northwards, staying offshore from Puerto Rico and looks like the same for Hispaniola. This is good. I don't want to wish ill on anyone in Florida (well, there's that one guy, Florida Man, but he'll get his regardless), but Floridians are immensely better prepared than the inhabitants of the Dominican Republic and Haiti, as history has taught us.

I hope it levels the buildings to the ground and destroys the golf course.

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face", sobs the woman who voted for Leopards Eating People's Faces Party
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 04:45 AM   #107
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

No, but we've taken to giving names to a windy day.
Old 7th September 2017, 04:50 AM   #108
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'm putting the over/under on Irma's wind speed at 120mph when it hit's Florida, I'm taking the under. Those islands break up the wind speed more than they are telling us.

I'm putting the over/under on Irma's Category as 4. I'm taking the under
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 04:59 AM   #109
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
You just know that there's going to be a scandal when Trump uses relief funds to rebuild the place.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 06:09 AM   #110
C_Felix
Master Poster

It seems that tropical Storm Jose is now Hurricane Jose.

If it reached US land while still being a tropical storm, would it have had DACA protection. But, now that it is all mature and grown up...

Last edited by C_Felix; 7th September 2017 at 06:11 AM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 08:50 AM   #111
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post

He'd probably just claim half of the FEMA money budgeted to the state of Florida for repairs.
Old 7th September 2017, 09:15 AM   #112
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Waiting or tweets about (((Hurricane Irma))).
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 09:16 AM   #113
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
You just know that there's going to be a scandal when Trump uses relief funds to rebuild the place.
Wouldn't be the first time he's stolen taxpayer dollars to repair storm damage. He claimed 17 million dollars for a few hundred K worth of work.
Old 7th September 2017, 09:58 AM   #114
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Waiting or tweets about (((Hurricane Irma))).
I have it on good authority* that Irma is Fake News, and a liberal conspiracy.

*Not actually a good authority.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 11:01 AM   #115
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Looks like the Prime Minister of Barbuda has now arrived by helicopter and surveyed the scene.

Apparently 90% of buildings destroyed. One fatality reported.

It'll be great news of the majority of the 1,300 or so remaining residents survived.

He is said to be in tears, and saying, 'Total devastation', over and over again.

Ah, ninja-ed.

Fingers crossed.
A friend just phoned to say she had been watching pictures on TV. If nearly all the buildings are gone, I wonder where the people were during the storm to be safe? If their houses were falling down around them, how did they manage to stay safe? Do you happen to know?
Old 7th September 2017, 11:26 AM   #116
CORed
Philosopher

Also, early autumn happens to be when hurricanes are most likely to happen.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 11:26 AM   #117
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
My friend reports she's in the eye right now.
Then you have better communication than the Dutch government. The Dutch Home minister had trouble phoning the local Pirme Minister, something with the roof blown off the PM's office impeding satellite phone reception. One death, multiple injured according to Dutch news.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 01:38 PM   #118
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Barbuda only has about 1,600 inhabitants, which is about the same as the village where I live. If the island is really uninhabitable and it's possible to get the logistics organised, you'd think it would be possible to evacuate that number temporarily until clean-up and rebuilding squads can get to work. But there are other larger communities also badly hit and it all sounds extremely worrying.
Old 7th September 2017, 02:10 PM   #119
Fidelio
Muse

Oh please if there is a god let it be so.
but
(edit to add)

not that the ****wad would loose a penny but he needs to feel some pain, preferably physical but money would work.

Last edited by Fidelio; 7th September 2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Not enough venom
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 02:35 PM   #120
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Latest breathless report (i.e. "BREAKING NEWS") --

"Hurricane Irma is now a Category 5. We'll tell you what that means for Puerto Rico and Florida after the break."

Oh, never mind about the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Cuba. Those aren't American territories.
My impression is that Cuba, as a soon to be scrubbed island, is being under-reported.

Maybe it's a conspiracy of some sort in an anti-Castro holdover, or maybe just the lack of a good B-roll.

Last edited by marplots; 7th September 2017 at 02:37 PM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events