ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , weather incidents

Old 8th September 2017, 09:46 AM   #161
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Wouldn't be the first time he's stolen taxpayer dollars to repair storm damage. He claimed 17 million dollars for a few hundred K worth of work.
That wasn't tax money, it was private insurance. No doubt though, he'll take any money he can swindle anyone out of.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 09:51 AM   #162
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
It kills me to say so, but where Bush and his people screwed up Katrina, Trump and co. seem to be on top of Harvey and Irma. If Bush deserved blame, Trump deserves praise. Now pardon me while I go get drunk.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Obama cleaned up FEMA and trump hadn't had time to muck it up again. I posted a citation about it earlier.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 09:57 AM   #163
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He accidently picked a FEMA director with experience responding to hurricanes.

I finished buying food and water and going to ride it out. I'm far enough away from the bay and at 27 feet of elevation (high for Florida) so that I'm not in a flood zone.
He appointed an experienced disaster management professional to follow the experienced disaster management professional Obama appointed.
Old 8th September 2017, 09:59 AM   #164
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Splendid. Jose upgraded to a Category 4 with 150mph winds as well. Looks like it may turn away from the US but Bermuda is in the crosshairs, as is Barbuda, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Again. There may be time yet for it to go north of those locations though, so hopefully for their sake it does.
There is more to it than just wind speed (which is what the hurricane categories are graded on). Remember, Harvey landed as a category 1, by the time it reached Houston. Its big hazard was remaining in the same place and dumping 40 inches of rain in a few days. There are also deadly storm surges. Florida is expecting 3 - 10 feet and yet Miami beach is just 3 feet above sea level.

In addition, according to weather expert John Morales of NBC6:

Quote:
I repeat: eyewall replacement cycle completed. New Irma eye is nearly double the size it was yesterday. Many more to experience dreaded eye.
So, we saw Antigua escape major damage, whilst its sister island, Barbuda 95 miles to the North, was flattened, as it was bang in the eye of the storm.

Another hazard are those to nuclear reactors on the shore. Remember Fukushima, after the tsunami in 2004?

Trust the POTUS to call it 'epic'.

Poor choice of words, yet again, as though he's talking about a Hollywood disaster movie.

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 10:00 AM   #165
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
USA Today has a story about the evacuation.

I watched a local news show from Miami last night, and the weather forecaster explained the greatest risk for Floridians is the storm surge in coastal areas. Those are the areas that are getting the mandatory evacuation orders.
Guv Scott's in his press conference just now advised people just to go inland to shelters, not try to drive north.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:27 AM   #166
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Guv Scott's in his press conference just now advised people just to go inland to shelters, not try to drive north.

Yesterday, they suddenly declared all schools closed in the entire state.

I can't help wondering if they are expecting the storm earlier than forecast, given the range of its eye, supposedly bigger than the entire state of Ohio.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 10:36 AM   #167
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Rush Limbaugh has apparently decided to evacuate. I guess Irma isn't a fake news liberal conspiracy after all.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:43 AM   #168
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Yesterday, they suddenly declared all schools closed in the entire state.

I can't help wondering if they are expecting the storm earlier than forecast, given the range of its eye, supposedly bigger than the entire state of Ohio.
For large scale evacuations, you can't get everyone out all at once. They cancel school so that more people will take the opportunity to evacuate earlier.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 10:43 AM   #169
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Rush Limbaugh has apparently decided to evacuate.
Damn it all!!!
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 10:59 AM   #170
Argumemnon
World Maker

Why? It's not like the wind's sufficient to lift him.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 11:04 AM   #171
crescent
Graduate Poster

That'll take some of the hot air and blowing gasses out of the system.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 11:12 AM   #172
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
For large scale evacuations, you can't get everyone out all at once. They cancel school so that more people will take the opportunity to evacuate earlier.
Apparently some schools are also being used as shelters.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 11:22 AM   #173
Drewbot
Philosopher

So did a lot of the east coasters head to the west side of the state hoping to escape the storm?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 11:41 AM   #174
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
So did a lot of the east coasters head to the west side of the state hoping to escape the storm?
Evacuation zones are on both coasts. I think the idea is to head inland and north.
http://floridadisaster.org/PublicMapping/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 11:46 AM   #175
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Evacuation zones are on both coasts. I think the idea is to head inland and north.
http://floridadisaster.org/PublicMapping/
So now we have come full circle, as Rick Scott has said don't go north.

Old 8th September 2017, 11:56 AM   #176
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Rush Limbaugh has apparently decided to evacuate. I guess Irma isn't a fake news liberal conspiracy after all.
Well, it's a mandatory evacuation and mandatory shutdown of the broadcasting equipment.

He can't legally broadcast the show, apparently.

So he didn't have much choice.

He could have defied the evac order I suppose, but he wouldn't have been able to do his show.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 01:06 PM   #177
ddt
Mafia Penguin

He appointed an experienced disaster management professional to follow the experienced disaster management professional Obama appointed.
His resume said "disaster management professional" but Trump only read the first word and thought "that's my guy"?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 03:11 PM   #178
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Filing this under "things which are not helpful in this situation."

Florida Sheriff Plans to Check for Warrants at Hurricane Shelters
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 03:21 PM   #179
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, it's a mandatory evacuation and mandatory shutdown of the broadcasting equipment.

He can't legally broadcast the show, apparently.

So he didn't have much choice.

He could have defied the evac order I suppose, but he wouldn't have been able to do his show.
If the whole thing was a fake news liberal hoax after all he sure could have!
Old 8th September 2017, 03:35 PM   #180
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I have it on good authority* that Irma is Fake News, and a liberal conspiracy.

*Not actually a good authority.
Looks like he bought into the fake news.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 03:38 PM   #181
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

Because murderers and rapists who are on the run with outstanding arrest warrants should not be taken to jail - they should be allowed to sleep on the cots next to everyone else.
Old 8th September 2017, 04:43 PM   #182
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Because murderers and rapists who are on the run with outstanding arrest warrants should not be taken to jail - they should be allowed to sleep on the cots next to everyone else.
Are they proposing a system where people with warrants for violent felonies will be taken to jail or are they just citing the most emotionally provocative examples as a way of barring emergency shelters from those accused of a crime?

I love the part where they encourage people to turn themselves in and mention they can probably bond out quickly. As if someone working a wage job -with their income in the near future on a bit shaky ground since there's a hurricane coming- can make that whimsical decision. Or that doing so still eats away the precious few hours remaining to gather one's belongings, contact family, etc. It's cold-hearted and disconnected from the way people's lives really are.

I'd say the officers bogged down processing intake paperwork for the arrests in the midst of a hurricane barreling through might have better uses to be put to right then. Like standing watch over the shelters to make sure no shenanigans are taking place.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 04:49 PM   #183
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Irma may hit the Florida Keys as a Category 5 hurricane. There are some endemic and endangered species of animals in the Keys with low populations. I hope it doesn't cause any extinctions.
Old 8th September 2017, 05:13 PM   #184
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Are they proposing a system where people with warrants for violent felonies will be taken to jail or are they just citing the most emotionally provocative examples as a way of barring emergency shelters from those accused of a crime?

I love the part where they encourage people to turn themselves in and mention they can probably bond out quickly. As if someone working a wage job -with their income in the near future on a bit shaky ground since there's a hurricane coming- can make that whimsical decision. Or that doing so still eats away the precious few hours remaining to gather one's belongings, contact family, etc. It's cold-hearted and disconnected from the way people's lives really are.

I'd say the officers bogged down processing intake paperwork for the arrests in the midst of a hurricane barreling through might have better uses to be put to right then. Like standing watch over the shelters to make sure no shenanigans are taking place.
Just handcuff the guy to his cot and deal with him next week. It takes less than a minute.
Old 8th September 2017, 05:16 PM   #185
michael44
Critical Thinker

[snip]........I'd say the officers bogged down processing intake paperwork for the arrests in the midst of a hurricane barreling through might have better uses to be put to right then. Like standing watch over the shelters to make sure no shenanigans are taking place.
I agree, because for one thing, I can't even imagine "murderers or rapists" attempting to ploy their trade in of all places a crowded storm shelter. Also, checking for I.D's that somehow got lost along the way to the shelter can easily be replaced via memory with an innocent relatives S.S. number. As if that weren't enough to bog the process down, it may even render it useless.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 05:41 PM   #186
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by michael44 View Post
I agree, because for one thing, I can't even imagine "murderers or rapists" attempting to ploy their trade in of all places a crowded storm shelter. Also, checking for I.D's that somehow got lost along the way to the shelter can easily be replaced via memory with an innocent relatives S.S. number. As if that weren't enough to bog the process down, it may even render it useless.
"I didn't need to see any ID. We all knew what Wayne Lee Pumico looked like. After all he was the guy who raped and strangled poor little Mary Peterson. Every guy on the force knew what he looked like. But I didn't arrest him because I needed to hand out some slices of bread. I just looked at him and nodded. Later I'll let Mary's family know that their daughter's killer is probably safe wherever he is now. He survived the hurricane and I gave him some nourishment. I don't know if we'll ever arrest him but maybe we will."
Old 8th September 2017, 05:43 PM   #187
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

I'm planning to use my hurricane supplies to pick up on women I'd normally have no chance with.
Good plan.
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Yes, if Irma is here to wash away the sins of man, then I may not be posting for much longer.
This comment is only valid if it lasts 40 days and 40 nights. Otherwise, it's just a rinse cycle.
Correct.
Do a Google on Rockport High School (Texas) and see if you think that's a good idea.
(Harvy did a number on Rockport Hight School)

Irma may hit the Florida Keys as a Category 5 hurricane. There are some endemic and endangered species of animals in the Keys with low populations. I hope it doesn't cause any extinctions.
I have a friend who has property in the Keys. He's pretty sure that in a few days, I will be able to say "I have a friend who had property in the Keys"
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 05:44 PM   #188
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

I'm planning to use my hurricane supplies to pick up on women I'd normally have no chance with.
Good plan.
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Yes, if Irma is here to wash away the sins of man, then I may not be posting for much longer.
This comment is only valid if it lasts 40 days and 40 nights. Otherwise, it's just a rinse cycle.
Correct.
Do a Google on Rockport High School (Texas) and see if you think that's a good idea.
Harvey did a number on Rockport Hight School

I have a friend who has property in the Keys. He's pretty sure that in a few days, I will be able to say "I have a friend who had property in the Keys" ...
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 05:59 PM   #189
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

"I didn't need to see any ID. We all knew what Wayne Lee Pumico looked like. After all he was the guy who raped and strangled poor little Mary Peterson. Every guy on the force knew what he looked like. But I didn't arrest him because I needed to hand out some slices of bread. I just looked at him and nodded. Later I'll let Mary's family know that their daughter's killer is probably safe wherever he is now. He survived the hurricane and I gave him some nourishment. I don't know if we'll ever arrest him but maybe we will."
There's a lot of room between "anyone with a warrant will be arrested if they come to a shelter" and "free room and board for rapists."
Old 8th September 2017, 06:07 PM   #190
michael44
Critical Thinker

Right, and i'm thinking Whitey Bulger might disagree. Meanwhile, a small handful of Florida cops will be wasting their time attempting to process a boatload of minor offence warrants, while accidentally feeding and sheltering someone who might be a Wayne Lee Pumico look-alike. Sounds like a plan.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 06:10 PM   #191
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe the National Guard will come to help and thereby free up the police to arrest criminals with warrants when such an action is warranted.
Old 8th September 2017, 06:13 PM   #192
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by michael44 View Post
Meanwhile, a small handful of Florida cops will be wasting their time attempting to process a boatload of minor offence warrants, while accidentally feeding and sheltering someone who might be a Wayne Lee Pumico look-alike.
Justice never sleeps.
Old 8th September 2017, 07:03 PM   #193
michael44
Critical Thinker

Maybe the National Guard will come to help and thereby free up the police to arrest criminals with warrants when such an action is warranted.
I doubt the National Guard will take an interest in pursuing warrants in which local law enforcement is clearly lacking.

Last edited by michael44; 8th September 2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 8th September 2017, 08:12 PM   #194
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I'm counting the amount of relations I have in Fla. Thus isn't so fun anymore.

Every time I think I know everyone I remember someone else.

Is everyone evacuating?
Old 8th September 2017, 08:27 PM   #195
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some media are saying that 8.5 million are evacuating. The state has a population of about 20.6 million.
Old 8th September 2017, 08:30 PM   #196
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Irma now at Cat 5 and has made landfall in Cuba with 160mph sustained winds.
Old 8th September 2017, 09:21 PM   #197
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What an *******. ******

I hope he gets some serious political fallout for such stupidity.
Old 8th September 2017, 09:27 PM   #198
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No, because people with warrants for petty parking tickets might risk their lives and risk the lives of rescuers trying to help them when they are afraid to go to the shelters.

Do you really think these are people with warrants the cops couldn't find despite making an actual effort to do so?
Old 8th September 2017, 09:40 PM   #199
Bob001
Philosopher

No, because people with warrants for petty parking tickets might risk their lives and risk the lives of rescuers trying to help them when they are afraid to go to the shelters.

Do you really think these are people with warrants the cops couldn't find despite making an actual effort to do so?
An interesting take here about the sheriff's policy and how many traffic tickets are written purely to generate revenue, hurting the poorest the most:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...eb923#comments

Last edited by Bob001; 8th September 2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:55 PM   #200
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

There's a lot of room between "anyone with a warrant will be arrested if they come to a shelter" and "free room and board for rapists."
I hadn't really thought about them checking records of those at the shelter but if I went with my 9yo daughter I'd like to think convicted child sex offenders are weeded out, with or without any warrants. They know they arent allowed and it's a violation (isn't it?) so perhaps they find somewhere else to go.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events