ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , weather incidents

Old 10th September 2017, 06:41 AM   #241
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In the Weather Channel report I linked they explained why the computer models -- which are usually pretty accurate -- predicted the storm track would become northerly. As the storm approaches Florida a huge high pressure system to the northeast will pull Irma from a NW track to a more northerly track.

Meanwhile, the eye passed over the Florida Keys about an hour ago, upgraded to a Cat 4, with 130-mph winds. The storm is now tracking further west then originally predicted.

If it stays longer over water does that mean it's likely to get stronger before it hits the mainland?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 06:44 AM   #242
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
The eye of the storm looks to be heading almost directly for Key West

https://www.cyclocane.com/irma-storm-tracker/#section_2
I've already seen what Kirk Cameron said about God sending the hurricane in general, but it didn't have anything specific about Key West because that had not been determined yet. I'm sure the asshope can come up with a justification for it.
Old 10th September 2017, 06:57 AM   #243
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Got that. My question is why release a few brazillion gallons all at once, if that's what they did?
The water was already going over the spillways. The danger was that the amount of water coming in was so great that there was danger of over-topping the dam (more coming in than the spillway could handle).
Since those are mostly earthen dams, that is a HUGE problem

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:14 AM   #244
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
If it stays longer over water does that mean it's likely to get stronger before it hits the mainland?
I think that's a pretty good concern. According to CNN, in Tampa as of last night the eye was expected to pass a bit to the west. This morning the track looks like it will be about two miles west of Tampa, over the Gulf of Mexico and gathering strength. The storm is cyclical, rotating counter-clockwise, with some of the most severe affects to areas NE of the leading edge of the eye. Tampa is now in that zone.

The good news is, the storm has lost strength, the prediction for Tampa is a Cat 2, but it may build back up to a Cat 3 as it passes over the Gulf. This is the forecast from the National Weather service for the Tampa area:
Quote:
Tampa - Apollo Beach - Westchase * WIND - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Cat 2 Hurricane force wind - Peak Wind Forecast: 80-100 mph with gusts to 125 mph - Window for Tropical Storm force winds: until Monday afternoon - Window for Hurricane force winds: early this evening until early Monday morning - CURRENT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY: Extreme - The wind threat has remained nearly steady from the previous assessment. - Remain braced against the reasonable threat for major hurricane force wind greater than 110 mph of equivalent Category 3 intensity or higher. Link.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:54 AM   #245
foophil
Graduate Poster

Heavy rains have started here already. Irma is huge.... Not much wind yet, though we did lose one tree already. NW part of town is without power due to a downed tree, though that should be restored soon.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:00 AM   #246
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
The water was already going over the spillways. The danger was that the amount of water coming in was so great that there was danger of over-topping the dam (more coming in than the spillway could handle).
Since those are mostly earthen dams, that is a HUGE problem

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'm thinking great huge cement dams and channels for the spillways. I didn't think of our own reservoirs here - chiefly man-made lakes with earthen or natural barriers. File it away under B for brainfart.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:15 AM   #247
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by foophil View Post
Heavy rains have started here already. Irma is huge.... Not much wind yet, though we did lose one tree already. NW part of town is without power due to a downed tree, though that should be restored soon.
I heard it was a light rain.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:23 AM   #248
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

I live in North Georgia. This morning (Sunday, local time 11:20) we have clear skies and cool winds at about 20 mph, with occasional much higher gusts. I've had to take in our porch furniture because the chairs blew over. Our bird feeder has gone elsewhere, and the shepherd's crook it hung on is now at a fifty-degree angle.
Spektator is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:49 AM   #249
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Tampa here. Already in the out rain bands. No wind yet.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:55 AM   #250
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
There is more to it than just wind speed (which is what the hurricane categories are graded on). Remember, Harvey landed as a category 1, by the time it reached Houston. Its big hazard was remaining in the same place and dumping 40 inches of rain in a few days. There are also deadly storm surges. Florida is expecting 3 - 10 feet and yet Miami beach is just 3 feet above sea level.

In addition, according to weather expert John Morales of NBC6:

So, we saw Antigua escape major damage, whilst its sister island, Barbuda 95 miles to the North, was flattened, as it was bang in the eye of the storm.

Another hazard are those to nuclear reactors on the shore. Remember Fukushima, after the tsunami in 2004?

Trust the POTUS to call it 'epic'.

Poor choice of words, yet again, as though he's talking about a Hollywood disaster movie.
In the Weather Channel report I linked they explained why the computer models -- which are usually pretty accurate -- predicted the storm track would become northerly. As the storm approaches Florida a huge high pressure system to the northeast will pull Irma from a NW track to a more northerly track.

Meanwhile, the eye passed over the Florida Keys about an hour ago, upgraded to a Cat 4, with 130-mph winds. The storm is now tracking further west then originally predicted.

Another interesting write up about models:
US forecast models have been pretty terrible during Hurricane Irma

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:59 AM   #251
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Tampa here. Already in the out rain bands. No wind yet.
Watch out for your neighbor! I'm sure Florida Man is going to be the equivalent of the guy(s) in every typhoon that hit Taiwan when I was there.... We had a pool on how many people would die because they "went down to the shore or fishing boat pier to watch the typhoon come in". It was like clockwork.

I'm quite sure that by Monday, we'll see a "Florida Man Lost in the Gulf After Hurricane Party on the Beach" headline or two.

Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 09:01 AM   #252
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Watch out for your neighbor! I'm sure Florida Man is going to be the equivalent of the guy(s) in every typhoon that hit Taiwan when I was there.... We had a pool on how many people would die because they "went down to the shore or fishing boat pier to watch the typhoon come in". It was like clockwork.

I'm quite sure that by Monday, we'll see a "Florida Man Lost in the Gulf After Hurricane Party on the Beach" headline or two.
Already one teenage pro-surfer killed. One near miss with man knocked down by wave whilst filming it.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 09:34 AM   #253
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You ain't kidding. I was at Bass Pro Shops on Friday. Although the camping supplies area was sensibly crowded, there was a brisk business at the gun counter too. Just what Florida needs, more untrained twitchy people with guns.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 10:27 AM   #254
Stacko
Philosopher

You ain't kidding. I was at Bass Pro Shops on Friday. Although the camping supplies area was sensibly crowded, there was a brisk business at the gun counter too. Just what Florida needs, more untrained twitchy people with guns.
Funny you should mention that. From the Pasco Sheriff:

To clarify, DO NOT shoot weapons @ #Irma. You won't make it turn around & it will have very dangerous side effects
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 10:34 AM   #255
newyorkguy
Philosopher

A TV reporter in Miami for the local NBC affiliate, Channel 6, is out on Brickell Avenue, one of the major thoroughfares and the one closest to Biscayne Bay. It is beginning to flood. The screen cap below was taken as he began to walk east on SE 12th Street towards the Bay.

Link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brickell Avenue in downtown Miami.jpg (100.4 KB, 9 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 10:53 AM   #256
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The reporter, Jose Diaz-Balart, is walking east on SE 12th Street towards Biscayne Bay. He reports he can see the waves off the Bay breaking over the retaining wall. At SE 12th and Brickell Bay Drive the water is already knee deep.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brickell Bay Drive in downtown Miami.jpg (94.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 10th September 2017, 10:57 AM   #257
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I so can't wait to move.
Old 10th September 2017, 11:10 AM   #258
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

BTW: There is one brutal coincidence:
Did Czech calendar foretell the arrival of Hurricane Irma?

Darkly funny...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 01:01 PM   #259
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A TV reporter in Miami for the local NBC affiliate, Channel 6, is out on Brickell Avenue, one of the major thoroughfares and the one closest to Biscayne Bay. It is beginning to flood. The screen cap below was taken as he began to walk east on SE 12th Street towards the Bay.

Link
The reporter, Jose Diaz-Balart, is walking east on SE 12th Street towards Biscayne Bay. He reports he can see the waves off the Bay breaking over the retaining wall. At SE 12th and Brickell Bay Drive the water is already knee deep.

I'm really tired of watching these idiot reporters out doing what they just spent half the morning telling us what to do.
Old 10th September 2017, 01:28 PM   #260
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm really tired of watching these idiot reporters out doing what they just spent half the morning telling us what to do.
Aye. It's the cult of flamboyance and it drives me nuts too.

"These snakes are super-venomous and really bad-tempered. So when I pick this one up it's totally pissed and wanting to kill me, big time"
Old 10th September 2017, 01:36 PM   #261
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, telling people to evacuate when the reporter is clearly not evacuating seems strange. On the other hand, If people in the path don't see how bad it is, there may be a danger of them not taking seriously.
Old 10th September 2017, 02:34 PM   #262
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Looks kind of underwhelming so far for mainland Florida.

The keys took a Cat 4 hit, though.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 02:39 PM   #263
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Looks kind of underwhelming so far for mainland Florida.

The keys took a Cat 4 hit, though.
Not from my vantage point.
Old 10th September 2017, 02:42 PM   #264
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, telling people to evacuate when the reporter is clearly not evacuating seems strange. On the other hand, If people in the path don't see how bad it is, there may be a danger of them not taking seriously.
Mmmm, but when "how bad it is" sees the reporter just about managing to stay on his feet then I'd say it's a very bad message to send.
Old 10th September 2017, 03:21 PM   #265
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Isn't this what reporters have always done? Isn't it essentially their job? With family in South Florida I definitely value the extensive coverage. Been watching the networks and CNN on and off all day.
Old 10th September 2017, 04:28 PM   #266
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Forget coming, the bitch is here.
Old 10th September 2017, 05:16 PM   #267
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Finally some good news. The Mayor of Naples FL just told MSNBC that they have been told, the eye of the storm has dissipated and the wind circulation from west to east is not expected to produce the kind of storm surge as originally expected along Florida's Gulf coast.
Old 10th September 2017, 05:39 PM   #268
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Finally some good news. The Mayor of Naples FL just told MSNBC that they have been told, the eye of the storm has dissipated and the wind circulation from west to east is not expected to produce the kind of storm surge as originally expected along Florida's Gulf coast.
Around 5:30 or so, the Weather Channel reporter was reporting live from Naples and he said he was in the eye. It was calm there. He said he was just waiting for the other side of the eyewall to reach him with the high winds and rain again. The guy on the desk said he likely would not see the other side of the eyewall come through as it had largely dissipated already.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 06:26 PM   #269
Shepherd
Thinker

Here's supposedly some video from this morning looking out the windows of a home in Big Pine Key while it was in the eyewall of the storm. It's said in the video that this is before the eye had actually arrived and that the estimated storm surge at the time was about 7 feet.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...9&id=807759548

I was asked at the link to sign in to Facebook, but I was able to download the video without doing so by using the download program "youtube-dl." I don't really do Facebook myself.

ETA: Here's a picture by someone else of some boats on the road in Big Pine Key after the water had subsided. It looks like they're on the main road - Highway 1.

https://twitter.com/ExtremeStorms/st...93196252745729

The same fellow has a picture of someone's roof on his driveway, too.

Last edited by Shepherd; 10th September 2017 at 06:40 PM.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:00 PM   #270
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I have been following some of the developments on a weather forum. A lot of the discussion is technical but everyone agrees, Irma is still a powerful and dangerous storm. One point some of the folks make is, we really don't know too much about the overall effects in places away from news reporting or some footage posted on a few social media sites.

Here's a radar scan from 9:30PM EDT tonight. Still a huge amount of water and energy in this storm. If I understand this (doubtful), the yellow-red bands in the lower left are the core of the storm; the eye has 'closed.' The dark area in the middle is the dry air flow Irma is picking up as she moves over land. That is what is weakening the storm. I think over the last couple of hours the storm has tracked further east-northeast than expected.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irma Radar Scan 930PM 091017.jpg (135.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 10th September 2017, 07:08 PM   #271
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Isn't this what reporters have always done? Isn't it essentially their job? With family in South Florida I definitely value the extensive coverage. Been watching the networks and CNN on and off all day.
One can have extensive coverage without stunts. A hotel room with a nice window or they have these fancy "green screen" contraptions. You can still throw in a guy wading in the water (maybe with a life preserver and a harness) as a demonstration. Preferably taped so there's no on-air horror show.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:38 PM   #272
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Irma is heading closer to us near Orlando than expected earlier today. We have experienced heavy rain since early this afternoon. Around 5:30 in the afternoon, I posted on Facebook that we hadn't seen much wind. A few minutes later an incredible gust hit us. We saw trees bending. It was very brief, though. About the same time a Tornado Warning alert was issued for our area.

A few more hours passed before the wind picked up. It is now sustained around 30 mph, I think, with strong gusts every once in a while.

We lost power a couple of hours ago. We saw sparks through our front windows and heard a loud bang as a transformer blew up. We have a small generator outside that is powering a TV and fan.

Our front yard looked like a lake before the sun went down. I am confident that our house is high enough that we don't have to worry, but it is disconcerting that we can't see very well what is happening. We are hearing things hit the house occasionally.

The worst for us is still a few hours away.

Last edited by jadebox; 10th September 2017 at 07:41 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:59 PM   #273
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's boring, stupid. I ended up watching Fox for a while because they had a little more info than CNN and MSNBC who both had their idiots standing out in the wind and rain trying to talk non-stop when they had nothing to say.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:01 PM   #274
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Radar has picked up a lot of tornado activity in the storm. This is one of the problems mentioned about a very limited amount of information coming in. It will probably not be known until tomorrow whether or how much tornado damage might have been done.
Old 10th September 2017, 08:02 PM   #275
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't have an issue with reporters staying in the evacuated areas. They usually have some kind of safe place to be.

But 24 hour coverage of an idiot reporter standing in the wind, WTF, how is that supposed to be interesting? And then you always have the station reporter telling them to get inside, stay safe, whatever, are we supposed to believe they are risking their lives to get the story scoop?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:17 PM   #276
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
...Our front yard looked like a lake before the sun went down. I am confident that our house is high enough that we don't have to worry, but it is disconcerting that we can't see very well what is happening. We are hearing things hit the house occasionally.

The worst for us is still a few hours away.
Good luck!
Old 10th September 2017, 08:32 PM   #277
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Helmets. They could at least have helmets on those guys standing around amidst the flying debris they keep telling us about.
Old 10th September 2017, 08:55 PM   #278
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Helmets. They could at least have helmets on those guys standing around amidst the flying debris they keep telling us about.
I like where this is going :9.

Water-tight skin suit, life preserver and wading boots by Body Glove, to keep your core dry and prevent hypothermia.

PPE including helmet, eye protection, Skyhook™ Harness kit, and hi-viz vest by 3M, leading global industrial supplier, you can find these products and more at your local Grainger. Grainger: the ones who get it done!

There, you just indicated how dangerous the situation is if you aren't properly prepared and just got the network a few hundred thousand dollars in product placement.

This world is run by morons, I swear.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 10th September 2017 at 09:01 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 09:09 PM   #279
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Was it Dan Rather who got his first national exposure covering one of the Gulf Coast hurricanes, 'lo those many years ago? It was one of the national anchors, I'm sure.

Old 10th September 2017, 09:19 PM   #280
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Is it too late to buy orange juice futures? Irma seems to be going right up through central Florida, which is where I believe the orange groves are, and I doubt orange trees are as resistant to wind damage as the palms that are shown bending with the wind. With tropical storm force winds covering the entire state, and hurricane force winds in much of the center, I would have to believe there will be a lot of damage.

But.....they do grow the things in Florida. They have to be at least somewhat resilient. It's not like hurricanes haven't gone through before. They just don't normally cover the entire state.

ETA: Yes, OJ futures have spiked, although only 10% or so, but that is apparently very large.
https://slate.com/business/2017/09/h...e-futures.html

Last edited by Meadmaker; 10th September 2017 at 09:22 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events