ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , weather incidents

Old 11th September 2017, 02:22 PM   #321
Fidelio
Muse

Raining like cow a pissin on a flat rock, wind gusting 50 mph. Power went off about two hours ago and I don't expect it to be restored before at least tomorrow.

On the other hand I got food, liquor, water, a gas stove, kerosene lamps, lot of good books, and a roomie that wants to play chess. Just some water in the basement.

So all in all I'm ok.
Old 11th September 2017, 02:27 PM   #322
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The big shot who claimed Irma was like 'getting a kid's cheeseburger when you were expecting a Big Mac' was in poor taste.

There were two people killed in a head on storm-related collision whilst going about their job in helping with storm survival.

Measuring Irma's effect by 'number of people killed' is so trite.

As well as being left homeless, many - especially in the Caribbean - who had no choice but to 'ride out the storms' will suffer psychological trauma.

One stunned looking little girl on the Barbuda island said, 'Nobody told me this would happen to me'.

At the time, I was mystified as I thought, at least you're alive, even if you've lost your home or it's been damaged. However, I realise it probably hasn't even sunk in with many people directly affected.

Imagine if Florida Keys had not been evacuated. The story would be a Katrina-type one.

As for the looters, how sad that the dregs of humanity cannot desist from their despicable anti-social behaviour even in times of tragedy and disaster.

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 02:29 PM   #323
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Raining like cow a pissin on a flat rock, wind gusting 50 mph. Power went off about two hours ago and I don't expect it to be restored before at least tomorrow.

On the other hand I got food, liquor, water, a gas stove, kerosene lamps, lot of good books, and a roomie that wants to play chess. Just some water in the basement.

So all in all I'm ok.

I cannot unsee this.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 02:41 PM   #324
Fidelio
Muse

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I cannot unsee this.
Thank my grandpa Caleb. ca 1960 though it is doubtless older.
Old 11th September 2017, 03:10 PM   #325
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Two daughters in Miami area.
  • Daughter A - Lost power for two hours Sunday afternoon. Restored, still on. No flooding, no damage to house or to cars.
  • Daughter B - Lost power for four hours late Saturday afternoon. Restored. Went off again last night, still out. No flooding, no damage to house or to cars.

We're very lucky.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 04:14 PM   #326
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

I'll agree with that, but then you have to deal with Celebrity ignorance. How anyone can after the deaths and damage caused outside the United States can stand up and say that the storm is 'natures wrath' for the election of Donald Trump is beyond me.

Quote:
Jennifer Lawrence feels that perhaps the destructive hurricanes pounding the US are “mother Nature’s rage and wrath” at the country for electing Donald Trump.
http://thegrio.com/2017/09/10/jennif...lecting-trump/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 05:36 PM   #327
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

"The Wind Done Gone"
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 06:19 PM   #328
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

All and all we survived okay. Jacksonville had some record breaking flood but that was more on the Southside, Downtown, and Coastal areas. My place is up on the Northwest side near the Airport where it was a lot less dramatic. One of our neighbors that stayed behind was kind enough to do a quick walk around and send up pictures. There's no visible damage to the house, none of the standing water got anywhere near our house, and all of trees are still standing. The Jacksonville Electric Authority website shows us without power (neighbor confirms this) so we might lose a Costco's run worth of meat and other perishables, but our Homeowner's policy covers that up to 500 bucks with no deductible.

Right now we're about 7 hours north in central NC with my folks. Our two cats are not too happy about the travel and the 3 new animals that live in their temporary home, but they are eating and using the litter box so they probably aren't too overly stressed out about it.

Our vehicle and some of our valuables and all our important papers came with us. My rare book collection and got put in Rubbermaid bins with moisture absorbents and put on a high shelf so they are probably okay. Our subdivision's security patrol is still doing rounds so nobody should mess with the house.

We're gonna keep an eye on the power situation and any flooding on the route, probably head back Thursday or Friday. We've got cash and can fill up well before we get into the affected area and have more than enough to get home.

All and all I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 08:02 PM   #329
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I so can't wait to move.
Wait, didn't you just recently move there from Virginia?

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
No serious damage to our home near Orlando. But, there is no doubt that we had a hurricane come through. We have limbs and downed trees throughout our yard. A neighbor's utility lines are down along one of our fences. Our road is covered with trees and limbs. I didn't see any downed power lines in the road, but I did see twisted and dangling lines. We probably won't have power restored for days.
There are people still with power out in the Rockport area in Texas. (Tricky used to make annual bird watching pilgrimages there) Harvey hit two weeks ago.

If you get it restored in days, you are the lucky ones.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 09:36 PM   #330
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
"The Wind Done Gone"
This is a propo of what, exactly?

We're confused. Why don't you explain this to us?

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 09:39 PM   #331
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I'll agree with that, but then you have to deal with Celebrity ignorance. How anyone can after the deaths and damage caused outside the United States can stand up and say that the storm is 'natures wrath' for the election of Donald Trump is beyond me.
http://thegrio.com/2017/09/10/jennif...lecting-trump/
I don't think that's literally what she said or meant. She said the science behind global warming and climate change is "proven," and that the hurricanes may be Mother Nature's response to climate deniers. She didn't say anything about Trump, at least in that clip.

She's done a lot of interviews, and while she's a little flaky, she seems smarter and more grounded than the typical starlet.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 09:43 PM   #332
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

My first read was a taunting reversal of the usual "god is punishing gays/Mexicans/Democrats/Colin Kaepernick" nonsense we are all (the people impacted most especially) subjected to as a matter of procedure in the wake of disasters.

But that's Poe for ya...
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 10:14 PM   #333
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Could also be Lawrence was simply joking.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 10:36 PM   #334
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
My first read was a taunting reversal of the usual "god is punishing gays/Mexicans/Democrats/Colin Kaepernick" nonsense we are all (the people impacted most especially) subjected to as a matter of procedure in the wake of disasters.

But that's Poe for ya...
For this reason, I hope Hurricane "Lee" never materializes. (Lee and Maria are the next two names)
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 12:30 AM   #335
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
For this reason, I hope Hurricane "Lee" never materializes. (Lee and Maria are the next two names)
Oh, I could go for a "Lee Invades North Carolina" headline or two. Could be real cool if it was "Lee Rips Up Stone Mountain".

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 04:55 AM   #336
foophil
Graduate Poster

All is mostly well in our household. I've lost count of the number of hurricanes I've gone through now. This wasn't much different than the others. It just looked a LOT scarier than it ended up being (thankfully!). Our house was spared major damage unlike many homes in my area. Little flooding in my neighborhood. Just lots of trees falling and damaging stuff. That's the price you pay for living in "Tree City USA".

The public park a couple blocks away was literally devastated. The slides, jungle gyms, and merry-go-round were all obliterated by falling trees. My daughter cried when she saw it. I teared up as I remember losing a tooth when I was a child on that merry-go-round.

I had to patch up our roof after a metal panel came loose was all. The solar panels on the roof held up perfectly. Our only issue now is we still don't have internet. I'm having to use a cellular connection instead which gets really bogged down as more people wake up. Others here are still without power or phone lines. Everyone seems to have at least one of those services down still.

Oh, and I was wrong about the citrus industry doing okay. They took a heavy beating. Our citrus dropped maybe one orange was all....

http://www.theledger.com/news/201709...da-citrus-crop
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 05:04 AM   #337
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Irma's finally leaving -- downgraded to Tropical Storm status -- but she is kicking butt and taking names on her way out. In Jacksonville, in the northeast corner of Florida:
Quote:
Before Hurricane Irma left Florida, it caused historic flooding in the Jacksonville area, packing a surprise last-minute wallop to North Florida that sent people scrambling for the top floors of their houses Monday morning. Kimberly Morgan, public information officer for the Clay County emergency operation center [said] “I hate to use the term, but this was the perfect storm. It was the tidal surge, combined with all the rain from the nor’easter, which was six inches, and then Irma dumped another 10 to 15 inches. We’ve had places flooded that have never flooded before. Water is up to the mailbox level in some neighborhoods. We’re doing rooftop rescues.” News link

After leaving Florida, Irma made herself known:
Quote:
Irma weakened to a still-deadly tropical storm as it swirled beyond Florida, killing at least three people in Georgia, flooding the coast, sending trees crashing onto homes and forcing the world’s busiest airport in Atlanta to cancel hundreds of flights. The former hurricane remained an immense, 415-mile (668-kilometer) wide storm as its center moved on from Florida Monday afternoon, giving its still-formidable gusts and drenching rains a far reach.

Some 540,000 people were ordered to evacuate days earlier from Savannah and the rest of Georgia’s coast. Irma sent 4 feet of ocean water into downtown Charleston, South Carolina, as the storm’s center passed 250 miles (400 kilometers) away. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 05:31 AM   #338
Argumemnon
World Maker

Ah, hell. Jose might hit us a bit up north, though.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 05:38 AM   #339
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by foophil View Post
A...snip.... ast one of those services down still.

Oh, and I was wrong about the citrus industry doing okay. They took a heavy beating. Our citrus dropped maybe one orange was all....

http://www.theledger.com/news/201709...da-citrus-crop
Being cynical when I read: "....We had one of the best crops in five years if we could have delivered it,” said Paul Meador...." I thought "insurance claim".
Old 12th September 2017, 05:52 AM   #340
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

5+ million people without power? What was it I read about there being only 72 hours between civilization and chaos?
Old 12th September 2017, 05:59 AM   #341
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Chaos is what's going on in the Caribbean right now. My facebook feed is filled with my friend writing "Searching for So and So" or "Found So and So safe and sound". She's been at it since it passed.

Now it's all about looting, and supplies. They're airdropping supplies but nobody seems to know where they're going from there. I guess you can see the planes drop them, but hours go by and the supplies are not being distributed. I'm afraid looters are getting them first. St. Maarten. It's a damn mess down there right now.
Old 12th September 2017, 06:58 AM   #342
Drewbot
Philosopher

Do you think the coverage of the looting is grossly underrepresented?

It seems like some channels don't even mention it.

Almost all info I've gotten is from online sources.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7940031.html
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 11:12 AM   #343
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Hemingway's Six-Toed Cats Ride Out Hurricane Irma in Key West

Originally Posted by The New York Times
Entire islands have been reduced to rubble, streets have turned to rivers, cranes have buckled and more than 30 people have died. But the six-toed Hemingway cats are fine.

The 54 cats, many of them descendants of a white polydactyl cat owned by Ernest Hemingway, live at the writer's house in Key West, Fla., which was hit hard by Hurricane Irma.

As the storm approached last week, officials ordered a full evacuation of the Florida Keys. But Jacque Sands, the general manager of the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum, refused to leave. She had an obligation, she said, to see the property and the cats through the hurricane.

Animal lovers fretted. One of Hemingway's granddaughters, the actress Mariel Hemingway, publicly urged Ms. Sands to move to safety. "I think you're wonderful and an admirable person for trying to stay there and to try to save the cats and the house," she said in a video posted by TMZ, but "this is frightening. This hurricane is a big deal."

"Get in the car with the cats and take off," Ms. Hemingway pleaded.

Ms. Sands did not. The cats, she said, would come inside when the barometric pressure dropped, and they and their human attendants would be safe within the 18-inch-thick limestone walls of the house.

It appears she was right: The house's curator, Dave Gonzales, confirmed Monday that the cats, many of which have six or seven toes, were unharmed...
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/u...cats-irma.html
Old 12th September 2017, 02:13 PM   #344
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Hemingway's Six-Toed Cats Ride Out Hurricane Irma in Key West

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/u...cats-irma.html
We no likey category 4. Meeow like dogetory 4.

We no likey feline wet, no siree!

Old 12th September 2017, 02:17 PM   #345
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

We like fish, all washed up and decomposing already, Mmmmmm ...
Old 12th September 2017, 02:21 PM   #346
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Apparently the house is extremely solidly built and the caretakers believed it would withstand the hurricane. They also believed that evacuating with 50-something cats wasn't practical.

They were dead right all the way. Although Hemingway's grand-daughter's tweet was kindly meant, simply "getting in the car with the cats and getting out" of the Florida Keys at that juncture was surely impossible and would have put everyone in much more danger than they were in that house. They even had enough generator capacity to keep their fridges and freezers running.
Old 12th September 2017, 02:46 PM   #347
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Apparently the house is extremely solidly built and the caretakers believed it would withstand the hurricane. They also believed that evacuating with 50-something cats wasn't practical.

They were dead right all the way. Although Hemingway's grand-daughter's tweet was kindly meant, simply "getting in the car with the cats and getting out" of the Florida Keys at that juncture was surely impossible and would have put everyone in much more danger than they were in that house. They even had enough generator capacity to keep their fridges and freezers running.
Just fyi, the house is constructed out of the limestone that was excavated from what would become the basement. Its strength is one of the bragging points you hear about on the tour. And, given the popularity of the place and what I presume they rake in, in admissions and souvenirs, I'm sure they could afford their own power plant. I doubt anybody able to shelter in that house will ever evacuate.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 12th September 2017, 02:47 PM   #348
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
We like fish, all washed up and decomposing already, Mmmmmm ...
It's paws for thought. Me is likey sea bass and catfish. Me no eat anything, we is no dog.

We no splishy splashy in the puggles. We haz class.

Old 12th September 2017, 04:05 PM   #349
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Maine Coons, known for a tendency toward polydactyly (their gene for it is known as the Hemingway mutant), are also known for their love of and fascination with water. They enjoy swimming, bathing, and just splashing around a lot.

So getting wet might not bother the Hemingway cats that much.

Getting wet in a hurricane could be a different proposition, though.
Old 12th September 2017, 04:11 PM   #350
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Getting wet in a hurricane could be a different proposition, though.
It would certainly dampen my day.

Old 12th September 2017, 05:07 PM   #351
newyorkguy
Philosopher

As predicted and expected, the Florida Keys took a hard hit.
Quote:
Search-and-rescue teams made their way into the Florida Keys’ farthest reaches Tuesday, while authorities rushed to repair the lone highway connecting the islands and deliver aid to Hurricane Irma’s victims.

Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator Brock Long said that preliminary estimates suggested that 25 percent of the homes in the Keys were destroyed and 65 percent sustained major damage. “Basically every house in the Keys was impacted,” he said. In Islamorada, a trailer park was devastated, the homes ripped apart as if by a giant claw. A sewage-like stench hung over the place. Link to Lakeland FL Ledger article
Old 12th September 2017, 06:25 PM   #352
Beady
Philosopher

Is it too soon?

Old 12th September 2017, 09:56 PM   #353
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Is it too soon?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...78e0eaa0bb.jpg

It's never too soon for jokes. Best coping mechanism.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 09:53 AM   #354
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.monroecountyem.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=130

Sounds like decent progress.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 09:57 AM   #355
Modified
Philosopher

I didn't realize billboards no longer have plywood on them. Most of them are some sort of plasticy sheet over a wood frame. None of them survived even minimal hurricane force winds.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 10:56 AM   #356
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
I didn't realize billboards no longer have plywood on them. Most of them are some sort of plasticy sheet over a wood frame. None of them survived even minimal hurricane force winds.
Probably a good idea. I imagine that would cause far less damage than a large plywood one that does eventually blow away
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 11:03 AM   #357
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
Just fyi, the house is constructed out of the limestone that was excavated from what would become the basement. Its strength is one of the bragging points you hear about on the tour. And, given the popularity of the place and what I presume they rake in, in admissions and souvenirs, I'm sure they could afford their own power plant. I doubt anybody able to shelter in that house will ever evacuate.
It might be great against high winds, but what happens in the face of flooding and storm surge? I wouldn't want to be in the strongest house in the world if it was underwater.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 11:05 AM   #358
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
"Billboard tarps" are popular to purchase as a much better tarp than you can generally find in any store these days.

https://billboardtarps.com/

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 01:37 PM   #359
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It might be great against high winds, but what happens in the face of flooding and storm surge? I wouldn't want to be in the strongest house in the world if it was underwater.
It's 18 ft above msl, the highest point on the island. Too high to flood, and high enough to withstand most storm surges. Put another way, it's been there for ~170 years without sustaining significant damage. It also has a second floor 10'-15' off the ground; it would take a 30' storm surge to reach it.

I'd feel real good about camping out there.

Old 14th September 2017, 09:10 PM   #360
Civet
Graduate Poster

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but here's some good news.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events