ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Peter Daou , Verritt

Old 6th September 2017, 04:14 AM   #1
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Clinton Fact-checking site doomed to fail from start

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/...ith-clintonism

Well, if everyone from Keith Olbermann to ChapoTrapHouse is mocking it, then it probably shows just how obsolete Clintonism is.
Old 6th September 2017, 04:28 AM   #2
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

That was sad
Old 6th September 2017, 04:41 AM   #3
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
That was sad
You misspelled "hilarious".
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 08:13 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it's really a fact-checking site, so much as a curated social media feed for Clinton fans. And, obviously, an attempt to monetize those fans. Gotta replace those influence-peddling revenue streams somehow!

Right now it seems to be mostly just retweets and reblogs, but here's a humorous editorial on what else Verrit has to offer:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/09/04/...esented-media/
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 09:59 AM   #5
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

It's like Cuil all over again.
Old 6th September 2017, 10:06 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Or like HuffPo for people who didn't get in on the ground floor of HuffPo's monetization strategy.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Donal
Illuminator

The way Daou describes it sounds like a joke from Silicon Valley. I can hear Gavin Belson speaking this way.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Things that make you go hmmm

Quote:
“I’m excited to sign up for @Verrit, a media platform for the 65.8 million!” Clinton wrote. “Will you join me and sign up too?”
Hillary hyping verrit, or Kendal Jenner hyping the Fyre Festival: Who sounded more credible?
Old 6th September 2017, 07:17 PM   #9
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't get it, why should we care what a retired politician and grandmother thinks about a website?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 07:53 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I don't get it, why should we care what a retired politician and grandmother thinks about a website?
ThatsTheJoke.jpg

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:47 AM   #11
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Finally! A thread where righties can listen to their own echo without interference...
Old 7th September 2017, 01:53 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Finally! A thread where righties can listen to their own echo without interference...
What do you think is Verrit? Will you be subscribing?

Old 7th September 2017, 03:43 AM   #13
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What do you think is Verrit? Will you be subscribing?

Verrit seems like a failure. It also (according to what I read) presented opinion as fact too readily. It should be mocked for the joke it is.

Of course, the administration putting out its own "Real News" is both more pathetic and more dangerous (because it has the imprimatur of the president of the United States). I'll bet that keeps you up at night, donut?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

That's... baffling, I guess. I don't really have a single word for the combination of astonishment and sadness I feel that this is actually a real thing, and this isn't some satirical thing in the Onion, or maybe an elaborate hoax of some sort. I need a word for that.
Old 8th September 2017, 04:37 AM   #15
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
That's... baffling, I guess. I don't really have a single word for the combination of astonishment and sadness I feel that this is actually a real thing, and this isn't some satirical thing in the Onion, or maybe an elaborate hoax of some sort. I need a word for that.
The Germans probably have one.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 11:23 AM   #16
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/...ith-clintonism

Well, if everyone from Keith Olbermann to ChapoTrapHouse is mocking it, then it probably shows just how obsolete Clintonism is.
Clinton's endorsement of the site raises questions, again, of who she listens to. One of the broad criticisms of Clinton is that she surrounded herself inside a close circle of fawning fans, which is why warnings about the direction of her campaign from her ex-President husband, VP Biden, and numerous state-level officials never penetrated the bubble. It sounds like she still believes her own acolytes.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 11:38 PM   #17
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

What do you think is Verrit?
Verrit is a political site created by Peter Daou and Leela Daou that shows talking points for use in social media discussions.

Quote:
Will you be subscribing?
Would it irritate you if I did? If so it might be worth it.
Old 9th September 2017, 04:51 AM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Typo. What do you think *of* Verrit?

Old 10th September 2017, 05:29 AM   #19
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

And when r/Chapotraphouse and 4Chan are getting together to mock it, then it's probably a joke. It shows how the Democrats are still in their "mother may i" and "SLAYKWEEN" phase, and they need to get past that.
Old 10th September 2017, 12:02 PM   #20
BrooklynBaby
Critical Thinker

All Dem "fact checkers" only use left-wing propaganda outlets for their sources, so it is essentially a "garbage in, garbage out" scenario.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 10:05 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting article about Verrit's "authentication codes". Basically they're arbitrary strings that certify merely that the post in question was made by a Verrit blogger. On Wordpress.

The article offers some suggestions for creating a useful code that actually serves to verifiably cite an authentic original source. It also quite rightly points out that Wordpress is a security nightmare; hardly a credible platform for an information curator.

ETA: And here's Vox with a more comprehensive analysis. They also pan the "verification code" feature.

Last edited by theprestige; 11th September 2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11th September 2017, 10:38 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You know what would be hilarious? If Verrit started posting "verified" critiques of Verrit.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:17 AM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

From the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verrit
On September 3, 2017, Clinton endorsed the service. Subsequently, the site went offline, which Daou blamed on a "significant and sophisticated" cyber attack.
"Significant and sophisticated cyber attack" probably sounds better than "... because I'm running my blog on WordPress."
Old 13th September 2017, 10:09 AM   #24
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Verrit is just about one of the most misguided efforts at a lost cause I've seen in a while.

I expect we'll see statues erected in honor of Clinton in the coming years...
Old 13th September 2017, 02:43 PM   #25
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

"Significant and sophisticated cyber attack" probably sounds better than "... because I'm running my blog on WordPress."
Not sure what you are trying to imply, but cyber attacks are no joke.

The last business I worked for was was mortally wounded by a sophisticated cyber attack, which put me out of work for nearly two years. For me the effect was extremely significant. But hey, don't let that stop you from dreaming up some insulting alternative theory to belittle it...
Old 13th September 2017, 03:09 PM   #26
Donal
Illuminator

I think he's saying Daou is claiming his sight was targeted by some sort of black ops hacker group (Anonymous) when in fact it was more likely he doesn't know what he's doing.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2017, 11:13 PM   #27
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

It also quite rightly points out that Wordpress is a security nightmare;
In the past perhaps, but less today than 1% of successful cyber attacks target Wordpress.

You want to know what is really a security nightmare? Any device that uses Bluetooth.

New Bluetooth vulnerability can hack a phone in 10 seconds
Quote:
Security company Armis has found a collection of eight exploits, collectively called BlueBorne, that can allow an attacker access to your phone without touching it. The attack can allow access to computers and phones, as well as IoT devices.

“Armis believes many more vulnerabilities await discovery in the various platforms using Bluetooth. These vulnerabilities are fully operational, and can be successfully exploited, as demonstrated in our research. The BlueBorne attack vector can be used to conduct a large range of offenses, including remote code execution as well as Man-in-The-Middle attacks.
Old 13th September 2017, 11:17 PM   #28
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I think he's saying Daou is claiming his sight was targeted by some sort of black ops hacker group (Anonymous) when in fact it was more likely he doesn't know what he's doing.
And he bases this theory on?
Old 14th September 2017, 07:25 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Haha oh wow. Are you seriously white knighting Verrit.com?

Old 14th September 2017, 02:42 PM   #30
Donal
Illuminator

Daou demonstrating he doesn't know what he's doing? And being a drama queen?

Let me ask you which is more likely based on what we have:

1) Daou slapped together a site that he can't even explain the purpose of other than to cheerlead Clinton and wasn't prepared for the traffic caused by Clinton's endorsement

2) Some sort of guided attack against his site, which has no strategic or monetary value.

Its continued existence embarrasses him more than a DDOS attack. Plus, generally, sites that claim DDOS attack provide some sort of proof immediately after.
Old 14th September 2017, 02:57 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, but seriously my theory is not "Daou doesn't know what he's doing."

My theory is that he knows exactly what he's doing.
Old 14th September 2017, 04:44 PM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Daou demonstrating he doesn't know what he's doing? And being a drama queen?

Let me ask you which is more likely based on what we have:

1) Daou slapped together a site that he can't even explain the purpose of other than to cheerlead Clinton and wasn't prepared for the traffic caused by Clinton's endorsement

2) Some sort of guided attack against his site, which has no strategic or monetary value.

Its continued existence embarrasses him more than a DDOS attack. Plus, generally, sites that claim DDOS attack provide some sort of proof immediately after.
You can rent low orbit cannons for chump change, pick a URL and hit go. Depending on the amount of zombies the LOC has it could be a couple thousand IP's. They're getting pretty sophisticated. I think Lizard Squad had one that would DDOS an address for $10/hour

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 05:14 PM   #33
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You misspelled "hilarious".
You can buy this:

"Just in! Breaking news! @HillaryClinton voters have zero regrets for voting for Hillary! "

I reiterate....sad.

Last edited by applecorped; 14th September 2017 at 05:17 PM.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics