ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th November 2017, 12:39 AM   #881
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Never used them. Anyhow, I do not speed anymore (last five years) because my reflexes are not what they used to be.

Why not pray for better reflexes?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 12:50 AM   #882
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

You ignore the fact that in the USA fines in another State did not count towards the license suspension (in my day anyway).
You're claiming that your fellow drivers got 2 or 3 tickets every month for years. The number of States in which they could legally drive would have reduced to the point where they were unemployable pretty quickly.

Quote:
No suspensions here in SA - not yet law. Or if it is, they have no resources to enforce it.
In the UK it's automatic once a certain number of points have accumulated.

Quote:
In New Zealand I nearly lost my license while trying to obey the speed limits. After I ignored the speed limits I got no further tickets.
You had a little bit of bad luck and are trying to use it to justify breaking the law by deliberately driving dangerously. It won't wash.

Quote:
Not the slightest exaggeration. But then you are biased to not believe me.
Given a choice between a perfectly adequate mundane explanation and a supernatural one I will assume the former. Only someone desperate to believe in the supernatural would call that a bias.
Old 11th November 2017, 01:27 AM   #883
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.....Not the slightest exaggeration. But then you are biased to not believe me.
That's because you have previously been caught lying, and you have never produced anything other than personal anecdote in support of any of the ludicrous claims you make on a daily basis. Given that behaviour, anyone who just accepted what you claimed would be a fool.

Can I suggest that you have a look at the title of the thread at the top of the page, and let us all know what you illegal and dangerous driving practises have to do with Intelligent Design.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:10 AM   #884
Donn
Philosopher

In New Zealand and South Africa government officials do NOT obey the speed limits. Explain that! Now they push people off the road with their arrogance.
You are alike to a corrupt government official. QED.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:02 AM   #885
Mojo
Mostly harmless

In New Zealand and South Africa government officials do NOT obey the speed limits. Explain that! Now they push people off the road with their arrogance.

I expect it's to do with something along the lines of the divine right of kings. God has ordained that these people should be in positions of authority, so He obviously thinks they should have special privileges.

If God allows them to break the speed limit with impunity, who are you to question this?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 11th November 2017 at 06:26 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:20 AM   #886
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Yeah, this God business sounds suspiciously like an excuse to do whatever the hell he pleases because he's too special for rules and the entire world will just have to alter itself to fulfil his wishes.
Maybe that's why in all these threads, PS has never answered my question about why he thinks God is the only likely source of his 'luck'.
Who, except for the creator of the universe himself, could be more important than PS?
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 01:43 PM   #887
Thor 2
Master Poster

Another ASSumer that fast equals reckless. Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.

What a pathetic attempt at trying to justify your shameful, reckless, driving.

You have been caught with your proverbial pants down here whilst trying to impress us with your divinely assisted driving prowess.

Driving at 85 mph on a 55 mph road is reckless, and talking about others using mobile phones while they drive, doesn't make it any less so. At 85 mph you have a kinetic energy almost 2.4 times that you would have at 55 mph. It's the kinetic energy that kills because it must be absorbed when you hit something else.

Time to pull your head in and admit your mistake. Writing "rubbish" three times is as good as your argument can be, to justify your actions. We are not impressed by your driving ability, or what you may see as heavenly assistance.
Old 11th November 2017, 01:48 PM   #888
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I gotta say "I routinely break the law but don't get caught because I'm a magical god-being, therefore Woo" is at least new.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 01:50 PM   #889
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Yeah, this God business sounds suspiciously like an excuse to do whatever the hell he pleases because he's too special for rules and the entire world will just have to alter itself to fulfil his wishes.
It's essentially a reworded version of:

"I believe in Karma. That way I can do whatever I want to people and assume they did something to deserve it." - Dogbert.

JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:03 PM   #890
Thor 2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I gotta say "I routinely break the law but don't get caught because I'm a magical god-being, therefore Woo" is at least new.

It does have some originality I admit. If the activity was even more reckless, but not putting others in danger, it would be more impressive. Jumping from a plane without a parachute may be an idea.
Old 16th November 2017, 04:56 PM   #891
metacristi
Muse

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Just wondering if any others here have heard any good ones about the proof of Intelligent Design. The topic can be tackled from a number of different angles as I read, but have yet to see anything that holds much credibility.

Have just been looking at the Golden Ratio Phi, and how it is seen to be evident in nature by many, who seem to get off on this stuff. Different measurements of the faces and bodies of humans and all sorts of other animals, are looked at and presented by these guys as proof of Phi in nature. The religious get worked into a frenzy as they see it as an obvious sign of design.

I don't think there is currently any compelling evidence for Intelligent Design. The only real debate here is whether ID is a scientific hypothesis or not. Personally* I'd side with those who argue that ID is currently a mere metaphysical research program which could potentially be made scientific in the future. But there are plenty of people who take Feyerabend very seriously (despite agreeing that there is no compelling evidence for ID) who argue that it is scientific, see for example Bradley Monton.

* for philosophical reasons, postmodernism & Feyerabend have never been my weaknesses, too much relativism there, finally very bad ideas rarely die by themselves, we should not give them a wide path of free action (albeit a healthy fallibilism should always be there, History shows that even metaphysical conjectures can become scientific).

ibn Warraq - Why I am not a Muslim

My review of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's book 'Heretic'

Last edited by metacristi; 16th November 2017 at 05:05 PM.
metacristi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 07:24 PM   #892
Peregrinus
Muse

Originally Posted by metacristi View Post
I don't think there is currently any compelling evidence for Intelligent Design. The only real debate here is whether ID is a scientific hypothesis or not.
An excellent introduction for those not comfortable with technical biology terms is the transcript of Kitzmiller vs. Dover, especially the judge's decision. While the expert testimony was specifically directed at Michael Behe's "irreducible complexity," a bastard cousin of ID, the basics for destroying any notion of ID's being scientific in any sense is right there in everyday English. The transcripts of that case are readily available on line.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 07:26 PM   #893
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Intelligent Design" is a market term. It's the "Chilean Sea Bass" to Creationism's "Patagonian Tooth Fish."

It's a pair of Groucho Marx glasses on Creationism in a hope to sneak it into public schools.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:44 PM   #894
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
What a pathetic attempt at trying to justify your shameful, reckless, driving.

You have been caught with your proverbial pants down here whilst trying to impress us with your divinely assisted driving prowess.

Driving at 85 mph on a 55 mph road is reckless, and talking about others using mobile phones while they drive, doesn't make it any less so. At 85 mph you have a kinetic energy almost 2.4 times that you would have at 55 mph. It's the kinetic energy that kills because it must be absorbed when you hit something else.

Time to pull your head in and admit your mistake. Writing "rubbish" three times is as good as your argument can be, to justify your actions. We are not impressed by your driving ability, or what you may see as heavenly assistance.
What is the justification for a 55 mph limit when a road will safely handle 85 mph?

Why is the speed limit for all roads not 0 mph? The safest speed of all? And save the most fuel?

Dumbing down to the lowest denominator are we? Everyone must drive at the speed that a bad driver is capable of?

Rubbish x 4....
Old 16th November 2017, 09:48 PM   #895
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You're claiming that your fellow drivers got 2 or 3 tickets every month for years. The number of States in which they could legally drive would have reduced to the point where they were unemployable pretty quickly.
You really miss the point, do you not?

If you lived in New York, only New York accumulated points. One hundred tickets in New Jersey got no points in any State.

Some would accuse me of lying and being caught out. They are just ignorant of the real facts. Oh, sorry, they are believers in what they want to believe as fact. FAKE NEWS.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:48 PM   #896
Mojo
Mostly harmless

What is the justification for a 55 mph limit when a road will safely handle 85 mph?

Why is the speed limit for all roads not 0 mph? The safest speed of all? And save the most fuel?

Dumbing down to the lowest denominator are we? Everyone must drive at the speed that a bad driver is capable of?

Ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Old 16th November 2017, 10:03 PM   #897
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by metacristi View Post
I don't think there is currently any compelling evidence for Intelligent Design. The only real debate here is whether ID is a scientific hypothesis or not. Personally* I'd side with those who argue that ID is currently a mere metaphysical research program which could potentially be made scientific in the future. But there are plenty of people who take Feyerabend very seriously (despite agreeing that there is no compelling evidence for ID) who argue that it is scientific, see for example Bradley Monton.

* for philosophical reasons, postmodernism & Feyerabend have never been my weaknesses, too much relativism there, finally very bad ideas rarely die by themselves, we should not give them a wide path of free action (albeit a healthy fallibilism should always be there, History shows that even metaphysical conjectures can become scientific).

Some people think that humans are very badly designed. But they do not have a better one.

For example, I was assembling an electric motor and I need the dexterity of two hands, four fingers and two thumbs to hold parts together, manipulate the screws and nuts together.

So let me see. Three hands would be better for this job, but the extra hand would get in the way when running from prey. Extra thumbs. Well we all know the saying "I was all thumbs".

The sensitivity, the self-repairing ability, the finger-nails that are just right. The same applies to any other body functions.

Mammals have used bacteria to work inside their stomach to produce energy. We have amazing immune systems to fight off the bad pathogens and parasites.

Our voices are capable of songs and language that outstrip any other creature. And beautiful to boot. We are, in all respects, "just right" for an incredible range of tasks, sports and arts.

My father lived to 95 and his body held up very well, until the last few years, and this despite a hard life and being exposed to many toxins and carcinogens.

If there had been any inherent problems early in our evolution we would not have turned out the way we did. It has been a miraculous journey of evolution and survival. Even the planet and solar system had to be just right.
Old 16th November 2017, 10:17 PM   #898
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Ever heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?
You mean the people who assessed me, all the tests I have passed, my amazing luck and my achievements are all illusions?

Is that not what I have been saying all the time - that we are just living in the dream of a Cosmic Intelligence - and it is all illusion?
Old 16th November 2017, 11:53 PM   #899
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You mean..... all the tests I have passed, my amazing luck and my achievements are all illusions?.......
Not so much illusions as misinterpretations and misrepresentations. Delusions rather than illusions.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM   #900
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

In the USA I did sales and service driving long distance mostly at 85mph in 55 mph roads..
In my line of work, speeding tickets were assumed to be part of the job by others. Long distances on road that can handle the safe high speeds. THEY did get two or three tickets a month, and I did more mileage than they did (SA and USA).
You really miss the point, do you not?

If you lived in New York, only New York accumulated points. One hundred tickets in New Jersey got no points in any State.
You weren't comparing yourself with drivers who only drove in New York, you were comparing yourself with drivers who did the same long distances you did and got two or three tickets every month whilst you got none. There's no meaningful comparison otherwise, is there? And such drivers would have rendered themselves unemployable very quickly.
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #901
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Rubbish x 4....
You shouldn't be allowed to drive. You are a menace on the road with this "sod the rest of you" "I'm better than you" attitude. Have I missed your response to my question about how you feel about the mini-bus taxi drivers who display the exact same disregard for the road laws as you do?
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #902
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You shouldn't be allowed to drive. You are a menace on the road with this "sod the rest of you" "I'm better than you" attitude. Have I missed your response to my question about how you feel about the mini-bus taxi drivers who display the exact same disregard for the road laws as you do?
Bang on.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:57 AM   #903
Donn
Philosopher

Some people think that humans are very badly designed. But they do not have a better one.
A better ..what?

Quote:
If there had been any inherent problems early in our evolution we would not have turned out the way we did. It has been a miraculous journey of evolution and survival. Even the planet and solar system had to be just right.
Fractally wrong; on repeat.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM   #904
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Wow - your hands are suited to repairing a machine made by hands?

Amazing coincidence!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM   #905
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
A better ..what?
Design. Nevermind that much of the time, a better design actually is volunteered as part of said point. It's just yet another ridiculously false statement. *shrug*
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #906
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Not, in fact, true in detail. For example, how about the human eye, in which the nerves run across the front of the retina, necessitating a blind spot where they pass through the retina to exit the eyeball? Not only is it clearly obvious that a better design would have the nerves running behind the retina and no blind spot, but also, that better design exists in nature; cephalopod eyes have the superior layout. Why would a designer choose an inferior design, that confers no known advantage, when a better one is available off the shelf?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM   #907
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

It's probably time for this "perfect design" nonsense to come around again, for at least the third time in this thread.
Old Yesterday, 05:54 AM   #908
Donn
Philosopher

It's probably time for this "perfect design" nonsense to come around again, for at least the third time in this thread.
It's the perfect time.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM   #909
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
It's the perfect time.
Speaking of “perfect”...

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM   #910
Peregrinus
Muse

Some people think that humans are very badly designed.
Doctors, among others, KNOW people are badly "designed."

Quote:
It has been a miraculous journey of evolution and survival. Even the planet and solar system had to be just right.
Inferences based on confirmation bias rather than empirical data. As life was first developing on Earth, humans could not have existed - the atmosphere would would have been toxic to them. Your "just right" has over several billion years undergone a radical change.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM   #911
Peregrinus
Muse

Note the absurdity of that? Zero mph is not a speed.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM   #912
Peregrinus
Muse

We are, in all respects, "just right" for an incredible range of tasks, sports and arts.
"‘If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn’t, it ain’t. That’s logic.’" - Tweedledee

Your "just right" meme is just like Kumar's fantastical "A&F."
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM   #913
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Yes, it's absurd... Why would we develop tasks, sports and arts that are not suitable for human use?
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #914
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
"Intelligent Design" is a market term. It's the "Chilean Sea Bass" to Creationism's "Patagonian Tooth Fish."

It's a pair of Groucho Marx glasses on Creationism in a hope to sneak it into public schools.
I did not know that until now. I totally want to order that next time it's on the menu!
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #915
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Wow - your hands are suited to repairing a machine made by hands?

Amazing coincidence!
You know what else is amazing? Human bodies are perfectly designed to fit into chairs! And to walk through doorways! And our hands are perfectly designed to use keyboards and pens!

It truly is miraculous!
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM   #916
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I did not know that until now. I totally want to order that next time it's on the menu!
Don't. It's on the CITES red list, and no-one should be putting it on your plate.
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #917
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Not, in fact, true in detail. For example, how about the human eye, in which the nerves run across the front of the retina, necessitating a blind spot where they pass through the retina to exit the eyeball? Not only is it clearly obvious that a better design would have the nerves running behind the retina and no blind spot, but also, that better design exists in nature; cephalopod eyes have the superior layout. Why would a designer choose an inferior design, that confers no known advantage, when a better one is available off the shelf?

It was a committee.

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #918
Thor 2
Master Poster

Rubbish x 4....

Others have dealt with this nonsense of yours quite comprehensively but I will just add a couple of things more.

- What expertise do you have to assess that a road is "safe" for 85 mph? How do you make this assessment?

- If you drive at 85 mph instead of 55 you will be increasing your feel consumption by approximately 50%. So global warming is not a concern of yours either I suppose along with the safety of others?
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #919
Emily's Cat

Don't. It's on the CITES red list, and no-one should be putting it on your plate.
Well. I didn't know that either. Apparently it's a day for learning stuff.
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #920
Thor 2
Master Poster

For example, I was assembling an electric motor and I need the dexterity of two hands, four fingers and two thumbs to hold parts together, manipulate the screws and nuts together.

So let me see. Three hands would be better for this job, but the extra hand would get in the way when running from prey. Extra thumbs. Well we all know the saying "I was all thumbs".

The sensitivity, the self-repairing ability, the finger-nails that are just right. The same applies to any other body functions.

Mammals have used bacteria to work inside their stomach to produce energy. We have amazing immune systems to fight off the bad pathogens and parasites.

Our voices are capable of songs and language that outstrip any other creature. And beautiful to boot. We are, in all respects, "just right" for an incredible range of tasks, sports and arts.

My father lived to 95 and his body held up very well, until the last few years, and this despite a hard life and being exposed to many toxins and carcinogens.

What an incredible load of cobblers!

Your father lived to 95 you say. Many, such as conjoined twins, don't make it more than hours after birth.

And to finish of your rant you conflate design and evolution. The last ditch defence of those faced with the overwhelming evidence supporting evolution.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy