ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags General Skepticism humor , logical fallacies , pedophilia conspiracies

Reply
Old 26th September 2017, 11:14 AM   #281
Axxman300
Master Poster
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 2,192
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
That's just your opinion. It's patently untrue and a load of bollocks. It's you who needs help. It seems you have been damaged by your child abuse experiences.
And yet YOU are the one helping to enable real pedophiles by spreading nonsense which pollutes jury pools in future molestation cases.

You are the one making this evil a continued reality, not in your fancy CT/world Pedo-Rings of the rich and powerful, but on the real streets where real predators do their thing.

The crap you spread is the reason nobody believes most victims.

There is a reverse maxim to the CT mind-set of "If A & B are true then X,Y & Z must also be true", and it is "If A&B are confirmed lies then X,Y, & Z are also lies." The problem with both is that they are intellectually lazy. Just because A&B are true or false doesn't mean you don't do due diligence when looking at X,Y, & Z.

Most people are lazy, and after dozens of molestation cases which turn out to be fabricated for ulterior motives society turns a deaf ear. We saw this in the 90's with the "Recovered Memory" nonsense that put hundreds of innocent people behind bars.

Quote:
I'll name one. President Bush.
YouTube is not fact or credible.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 02:58 PM   #282
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle
 
tinribmancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,424
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Then where's the fun?

That's why the elites like to leave coded symbols everywhere - it's more fun if it's illegal and you can get a second set of jollies when the sheeple can't decode the clues hidden in plain sight.
This sound WAY too much like kyoon's Illuminati...
__________________
"Bravery Is Not A Function Of Firepower."

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 05:14 PM   #283
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,577
Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
This sound WAY too much like kyoon's Illuminati...
Kyoon isn't the only one - AJ works that angle too.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 05:16 PM   #284
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,577
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
And yet YOU are the one helping to enable real pedophiles by spreading nonsense which pollutes jury pools in future molestation cases.

You are the one making this evil a continued reality, not in your fancy CT/world Pedo-Rings of the rich and powerful, but on the real streets where real predators do their thing.

The crap you spread is the reason nobody believes most victims.

There is a reverse maxim to the CT mind-set of "If A & B are true then X,Y & Z must also be true", and it is "If A&B are confirmed lies then X,Y, & Z are also lies." The problem with both is that they are intellectually lazy. Just because A&B are true or false doesn't mean you don't do due diligence when looking at X,Y, & Z.

Most people are lazy, and after dozens of molestation cases which turn out to be fabricated for ulterior motives society turns a deaf ear. We saw this in the 90's with the "Recovered Memory" nonsense that put hundreds of innocent people behind bars.



YouTube is not fact or credible.
That doesn't matter to the poster you're addressing.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 05:39 PM   #285
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Next door to Florida Man, world's worst superhero.
Posts: 14,930
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Why are conspiracy theorists so utterly OBSESSED with finding pedophilia everywhere? I swear, as a concept, it shows up more than scary Jews. And always in the context of "rings."

I am well aware there are pedophiles all over the place in the real world, but these obsessive, constant theories are just creepy to me. People need to get off the net more!

ETA - Especially thee, Bubba. Go outside!
There is one possible explanation.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0504080730.htm

Basically, some research suggests that it takes one to know one. People who believe in and support conspiracy theories would themselves do the things they believe others conspire to do.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 06:48 PM   #286
Jim_MDP
Philosopher
 
Jim_MDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: N.Cal/S.Or
Posts: 6,045
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
... Most of the erosion here was done by the rushing water, with the most obvious being the near-perfect cylinder holes. Some erosion happened after it was no longer a riverbed and became exposed on the surface as we see now. This would be accomplished now by rain and wind.

My first thought was those are grinding holes.
They're everywhere, though that group would represent very light use.
(There's a wicked cool large group near Jackson, CA. Maybe Travis has seen it. )


Grinding Stones
__________________
----------------------
Anything goes in the Goblin hut... anything.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 07:25 PM   #287
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26,084
Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
This sound WAY too much like kyoon's Illuminati...
Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Kyoon isn't the only one - AJ works that angle too.

It's quite common among the CT crowd. While they themselves deny that they believe in magic, they insist that everyone in the Elite/Illuminati/NWO/Whoever do believe in magic, and that such public displays of occult symbology are a part of their rituals.

Of course, it never occurs to the CT crown to wonder why "they" keep doing "magic" if magic isn't real.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 01:46 AM   #288
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,877
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
It's no good being absurdly credulous about this matter. There was an article about Edward Heath in the Sunday Mail last Sunday. [/url]
Look at what you wrote!



"I'm not absurdly credulous. I trust what I read in the Mail on Sunday!"

Wonderful.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 02:04 AM   #289
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,877
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Who placed the Mystery Rocks of Saskatchewan?

Doesnt look like nature's work
. Burial mound, maybe.

http://ryanwunsch.com/mystery-rocks-saskatchewan/
Bubba, I would be interested to know how you arrived at this conclusion.
Is it based on your own expertise in either geology or archaeology?
Did you consult a geologist or an archaeologist?
Have you visited the site yourself?
Given the debate here about what kind of stone this is, have you determined this yourself, and if so, how?
Finally:
Can you guess why I'm asking these questions?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 02:58 AM   #290
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,985
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's quite common among the CT crowd. While they themselves deny that they believe in magic, they insist that everyone in the Elite/Illuminati/NWO/Whoever do believe in magic, and that such public displays of occult symbology are a part of their rituals.

Of course, it never occurs to the CT crown to wonder why "they" keep doing "magic" if magic isn't real.
It doesn't matter if the CT believes in magic or not. The claim is that the illuminutty do regardless of whether it works or not or the CT believes in it or not.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:14 AM   #291
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,977
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Look at what you wrote!



"I'm not absurdly credulous. I trust what I read in the Mail on Sunday!"

Wonderful.
The Mail on Sunday does some good investigative journalism and it has explained in the past why the UK charity business is the fifth largest business in the UK and why Puerto Rica is now sadly short of roof repairers and dam repairers and why charities have remuneration committees, and why their executives live in luxury houses. This is more from that Mail on Sunday article:

Quote:
According to Whitehall sources Mr Veale's report will say seven of the alleged victims are 'credible' and describe the same pattern of behaviour by their 'abuser'. A Government source said an 'interview under caution' is in effect, the strongest action that Mr Veale could recommend with regard to Sir Edward.
Part of the trouble is that the victims don't usually come from the articulate classes. They are even in some cases semi-literate. The police just regard them as fruitloops, and child prostitution, particularly in the upper classes, is not part of routine police work.

I fully appreciate that there are false allegations with regard to rape but that's where you need an impartial judge and jury. If all this categorically denying everything goes on there is going to be a Jimmy Savile was innocent campaign.
There have been rumours that female mental patients were sexually abused in the past but without mobile phone footage it was difficult to prove. In the 19th century workhouse inmates were cheated out of their food rations but it was categorically denied at the time because the inmates lacked expensive counsel.

The eminent advocate Norman Birkett had a bit to say about this sort of thing with regard to Charles Dickens:

Quote:
He'd got a knowledge of life, and of the poor, the life of the poor, of all sorts of and conditions of men, and he had what I sometimes call, though I can never quite define it, he had the "common touch".

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 27th September 2017 at 03:15 AM.
Henri McPhee is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:30 AM   #292
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,643
How many actual pedophiles are there, realistically?
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:31 AM   #293
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,631
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
There is a reverse maxim to the CT mind-set of "If A & B are true then X,Y & Z must also be true", and it is "If A&B are confirmed lies then X,Y, & Z are also lies." The problem with both is that they are intellectually lazy. Just because A&B are true or false doesn't mean you don't do due diligence when looking at X,Y, & Z.
This point came to mind when minutes later I read this:
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
The Mail on Sunday does some good investigative journalism...
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:44 AM   #294
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle
 
tinribmancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,424
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
This point came to mind when minutes later I read this:
I just checked their site and I bumped against some odd articles...
__________________
"Bravery Is Not A Function Of Firepower."

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 06:02 AM   #295
Tomtomkent
Philosopher
 
Tomtomkent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,237
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
The Mail on Sunday does some good investigative journalism and it has explained in the past why the UK charity business is the fifth largest business in the UK and why Puerto Rica is now sadly short of roof repairers and dam repairers and why charities have remuneration committees, and why their executives live in luxury houses. This is more from that Mail on Sunday article:



Part of the trouble is that the victims don't usually come from the articulate classes. They are even in some cases semi-literate. The police just regard them as fruitloops, and child prostitution, particularly in the upper classes, is not part of routine police work.

I fully appreciate that there are false allegations with regard to rape but that's where you need an impartial judge and jury. If all this categorically denying everything goes on there is going to be a Jimmy Savile was innocent campaign.
There have been rumours that female mental patients were sexually abused in the past but without mobile phone footage it was difficult to prove. In the 19th century workhouse inmates were cheated out of their food rations but it was categorically denied at the time because the inmates lacked expensive counsel.

The eminent advocate Norman Birkett had a bit to say about this sort of thing with regard to Charles Dickens:
The Mail also called the investigation a waste of time.
The Mail also has a long history of objectifying young women, in the sidebar of shame.
The Mail also had Richard Littlejohn, as a columnist, who complained for many years about Winterval, Health and Saftey Gone Mad, and scare stories about moving border controls, without ever troubling his column with facts.
The Mail also tried to divide every known object into those that cause, or prevent, cancer, with many objects in both groups.
The Mail also sad “Huzzah for the Blackshirts”.

None of this is relevant to the article you posted, or it’s accuracy, or more importantly your interpretation.

There was a two year investigation. It found no evidence. Everything you want to believe has been well covered by many papers, and I think there is a fair chance that s Me posters here probably read Private Eye, and may have been following the story for decades.
__________________
@tomhodden

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 07:15 AM   #296
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,098
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
My first thought was those are grinding holes.
They're everywhere, though that group would represent very light use.
(There's a wicked cool large group near Jackson, CA. Maybe Travis has seen it. )


Grinding Stones
There may be ways to distinguish man-made grinding holes from ones which occur naturally from pebbles in water vortices. Putting that aside, it doesn't seem logical to me.

Illogical: Climb to the top of a high ridge to grind your grains and nuts. Climb back down.

Logical: Transport some of those rocks down to your village and do your grinding there.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 07:19 AM   #297
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,098
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I suggested limestone. Someone else said granite. You say sandstone. Is there any way of checking? Is there a publicly available geological survey map of the area?
It might be quartzite which is sandstone subjected to heat and pressure.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 07:45 AM   #298
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,711
Yeah, there's a lot of things it might be, but that wasn't my question. Is there a publicly available geological survey of the area?
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 07:53 AM   #299
Imhotep
Muse
 
Imhotep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
How many actual pedophiles are there, realistically?
Current estimates are 1-5% of the adult male population.

So, a lot, I guess.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 08:14 AM   #300
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 15,951
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I can see that sort of weathering in the rock around the coast here. Large areas and very straight lines. Just another example of self organisation. You have seen clay puddles dry and all the straight lines that produces as the mud dries. Order arising bottom up from chaos is all around us.
There are plenty of similar examples in sandstone rocks* in the Peak District


*Millstone grit

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(rock_formation)
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 27th September 2017 at 08:19 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 08:34 AM   #301
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,098
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of things it might be, but that wasn't my question.
Actually, no. There aren't lots of things that it can be.


Quote:
Is there a publicly available geological survey of the area?
This suggests quartzite and hard sandstone...

http://weblex.nrcan.gc.ca/html/00300...053003670.html
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 02:34 PM   #302
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Next door to Florida Man, world's worst superhero.
Posts: 14,930
Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Current estimates are 1-5% of the adult male population.

So, a lot, I guess.
Is that the number who act on it?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:01 PM   #303
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 21,823
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
At the risk of being suspended on this forum, which does not like controversy, there is more stuff on You Tube about pedophiles in Hollywood.

I suppose many people on this forum are too young to remember, but there used to be a famous comedian called Bob Hope. He used to have the knack of telling a joke, which is a bit unusual nowadays, and he was an MC/comedian at the Oscars for many years. The thing is since he died in about 2003 there have been many books and rumors which suggest he was similar to the famous DJ Jimmy Savile in the UK in his child sex activities. There are also allegations against Spielberg which I confess I know nothing about.
Now I'm all sorts of willing to allow the possibility of people doing bad things, and all, but that last sentence just really hits me wrong. How much nonsense is going around the world every moment because people who know nothing can't just leave it unsaid?
__________________
Sir, I have found you an argument; but I am not obliged to find you an understanding. (Samuel Johnson)

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 04:24 PM   #304
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,707
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
How many actual pedophiles are there, realistically?
A fraction of 1%."If we use a very strict definition and say paedophilia refers only to the attraction to pre-pubescent children [then it] is probably much lower than 1%," he says. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28526106

It's not a "very strict" definition, it's just the definition, pedophilia has nothing to do with pubescent teenagers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 05:00 PM   #305
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,577
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Now I'm all sorts of willing to allow the possibility of people doing bad things, and all, but that last sentence just really hits me wrong. How much nonsense is going around the world every moment because people who know nothing can't just leave it unsaid?
Nothing makes a conspiracy theorist happier than throwing an accusation at someone or something and following it up with "I confess I know nothing about" the veracity of the accusation they just made.

It's having their cake and eating it too - it's the long time MO of two posters in this thread
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 05:01 PM   #306
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,643
Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Current estimates are 1-5% of the adult male population.
That can't be right. What's your source?
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 12:55 AM   #307
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That is nature's work, not done by man. This is sandstone and was once an ancient riverbed. Most of the erosion here was done by the rushing water, with the most obvious being the near-perfect cylinder holes. Some erosion happened after it was no longer a riverbed and became exposed on the surface as we see now. This would be accomplished now by rain and wind.

It looks man-made with design but it isn't. Everything there is explained by natural erosion of an an ancient quartz sediment (sandstone) plateau.

Most appropriate explanation. Thanks !
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 01:54 AM   #308
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,812
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Who placed the Mystery Rocks of Saskatchewan?

http://ryanwunsch.com/mystery-rocks-saskatchewan/
Obviously they were put there by extra-terrestrial aliens. Probably very bored and unimaginative aliens who just like messing with our heads...
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 02:23 AM   #309
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 19,659
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I suggested limestone. Someone else said granite. You say sandstone. Is there any way of checking? Is there a publicly available geological survey map of the area?

There's this, for starters.
Quote:
Lithology

The Cypress Hills Formation is composed of loose quartzitic gravel and sand, occasionally conglomerate and marl. [1]
Distribution

The Cypress Hills Formation reaches a maximum thickness of 80 metres (260 ft) in the sub-surface in Saskatchewan, and is typically 40 metres (130 ft) thick.[1] It occurs in the elevated Cypress hills, as well as in several plateau remnants in south-eastern Saskatchewan, south of the Frenchman River.
Relationship to other units

The Cypress Hills Formation forms the present day erosional surface, or may be covered by Laurentian Drift and loess. It conformably overlays the Ravenscrag Formation.[1]
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 02:42 AM   #310
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,415
And let's not forget the Mystery Pond of Jinsy:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 02:52 AM   #311
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,977
There is an interesting bit of gossip about Hollywood on YouTube which I admit might be lacking in hard facts or legal evidence, but which is relevant to pedophile elites in Hollywood and politics. I was acquainted with an adopted boy who is now in a not exactly famous rock band, who used to provide stories about Edward Heath and cocaine in parliament because he was in touch with those kind of circles, which I agree also is not exactly legal evidence. Gossip, and what is said on the street, can be useful in any police investigation. It should not just be disregarded out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0bVeznO1s8
Henri McPhee is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 03:02 AM   #312
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,427
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
There is an interesting bit of gossip about Hollywood on YouTube which I admit might be lacking in hard facts or legal evidence, but which is relevant to pedophile elites in Hollywood and politics. I was acquainted with an adopted boy who is now in a not exactly famous rock band, who used to provide stories about Edward Heath and cocaine in parliament because he was in touch with those kind of circles, which I agree also is not exactly legal evidence. Gossip, and what is said on the street, can be useful in any police investigation. It should not just be disregarded out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0bVeznO1s8
So your evidence is the Mail. And its creepy conspiracy story about pedophiles must be true, you tell us, because since then the Mail has unearthed three more creepy conspiracies, about other things. And if we don't accept that, you have a rock musician who was "in touch" with "circles" who supplied him with "gossip" about Heath and cocaine.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 03:08 AM   #313
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,631
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
So your evidence is the Mail. And its creepy conspiracy story about pedophiles must be true, you tell us, because since then the Mail has unearthed three more creepy conspiracies, about other things. And if we don't accept that, you have a rock musician who was "in touch" with "circles" who supplied him with "gossip" about Heath and cocaine.
Yebbut if you have two independent sources who both heard the same gossip then surely that's... umm. Well, okay it lends credence to the notion that there is actual gossip and they didn't make that up. That's about it, though.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 03:48 AM   #314
Tomtomkent
Philosopher
 
Tomtomkent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,237
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Yebbut if you have two independent sources who both heard the same gossip then surely that's... umm. Well, okay it lends credence to the notion that there is actual gossip and they didn't make that up. That's about it, though.
It’s evidence a rumour has existed since the sixties, but we can not take it as any kind of evidence the rumour was true.

We should be careful to emphasise the point you are making.
If I were to be told, on two different occasions, of other tall tales, that a ghost haunts Bluebell Hill, that there is a jaguar that lives in the Underground, or that Migrants kidnap puppies for food, it would only be evidence that those people believed a story, and not that the story was based, in any way, on truth.

Rumours and gossip are only useful to an investigation if they suggest an avenue of enquiry to investigate. To take a historical example, in the time of Jack The Ripper, it was useful to note that local residents in Whitechapel were warning each other of a violent Eastern European prone to bursts of violent rage towards women. It might not prove he was anything to do with the affair, but it is an enquiry that has to be made. Rumours in polite society that the artist Sickert, Lewis Carol, or whomever, is a rum chap with a morbid interest in the case? Less so. It is just gossip.

As it happens the rumours about Heath were investigated, thoroughly for two years, and it did not lead to any actual evidence.
__________________
@tomhodden

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:11 AM   #315
Imhotep
Muse
 
Imhotep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That can't be right. What's your source?
I don't think a definitive study has been done, but this seems to be the source of the 1-5% that comes up in searches:

Quote:
One person who has attempted an estimate is Dr Michael Seto, a clinical and forensic psychologist at the Royal Ottawa Healthcare group.

In 2008 he wrote a book in which he put the prevalence of paedophilia in the general population at 5%.

The figure was based on surveys conducted in Germany, Norway and Finland in which men were asked whether they had ever had sexual thoughts or fantasies about children or engaged in sexual activity with children.

But Seto stresses that 5% was an upper estimate, and that the studies were limited in what they revealed.

"What those surveys don't include are questions on the intensity of those thoughts and fantasies, whether they were repeated or not. Someone might say 'Yes' because they once had a fantasy but our understanding of paedophilia would be that that person recurringly had sexual thoughts and fantasies about children."

Now, with more data and better methodology, he has revised his figure down to about 1% of the population, though he makes clear this is still only an educated guess.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28526106
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:23 AM   #316
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,643
Well, that doesn't sounds like reliable results at all.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 11:54 AM   #317
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges
 
isissxn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 4,316
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
There is an interesting bit of gossip about Hollywood on YouTube which I admit might be lacking in hard facts or legal evidence, but which is relevant to pedophile elites in Hollywood and politics. I was acquainted with an adopted boy who is now in a not exactly famous rock band, who used to provide stories about Edward Heath and cocaine in parliament because he was in touch with those kind of circles, which I agree also is not exactly legal evidence. Gossip, and what is said on the street, can be useful in any police investigation. It should not just be disregarded out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0bVeznO1s8
Wow, that is some smoking gun. A z-list musician spews some self-aggrandizing yellow gossip to acquaintances, film at 11!

What does cocaine have to do with child rape, again?
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 12:12 PM   #318
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,577
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
There is an interesting bit of gossip about Hollywood on YouTube which I admit might be lacking in hard facts or legal evidence, but which is relevant to pedophile elites in Hollywood and politics. I was acquainted with an adopted boy who is now in a not exactly famous rock band, who used to provide stories about Edward Heath and cocaine in parliament because he was in touch with those kind of circles, which I agree also is not exactly legal evidence. Gossip, and what is said on the street, can be useful in any police investigation. It should not just be disregarded out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0bVeznO1s8
I was just standing there minding my own business and I overheard these three guys talking about how some poster on the intrawebz obsessed with celebrity crime stories and pedophile rings is really a pedophile and uses fake outrage to cover their tracks.

See how easy it is? Should I get on the horn to Interpol and the F.B.I.?
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 12:13 PM   #319
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,577
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Wow, that is some smoking gun. A z-list musician spews some self-aggrandizing yellow gossip to acquaintances, film at 11!

What does cocaine have to do with child rape, again?
That's why they call it nose candy.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 12:48 PM   #320
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,985
Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
The Mail also called the investigation a waste of time.
The Mail also has a long history of objectifying young women, in the sidebar of shame.
The Mail also had Richard Littlejohn, as a columnist, who complained for many years about Winterval, Health and Saftey Gone Mad, and scare stories about moving border controls, without ever troubling his column with facts.
The Mail also tried to divide every known object into those that cause, or prevent, cancer, with many objects in both groups.
The Mail also sad “Huzzah for the Blackshirts”.

None of this is relevant to the article you posted, or it’s accuracy, or more importantly your interpretation.

There was a two year investigation. It found no evidence. Everything you want to believe has been well covered by many papers, and I think there is a fair chance that s Me posters here probably read Private Eye, and may have been following the story for decades.
OK, the DM does indeed objectify women. One need only peek at the related articles about celebs in bikinis on their holidays. Most of whom are deeply unattractive and uninteresting and shallow.

But it is worse. Have a list of things alphabetically listed that the DM claims are carcinogens.
http://www.anorak.co.uk/288298/tablo...m-a-to-z.html/
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.