ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Catalonia incidents , Catalonia issues , independence movements , separatist movements , Spain incidents , Spain issues , Spain politics

Reply
Old 24th October 2017, 04:04 AM   #361
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I can understand a people who suffer under opression wanting to free themselves and form their own government, but I just don't see that as the reality when it comes to Catalonia, nor Scotland for that matter. I'm sure there are things that people in Barcelona think Madrid is doing wrong, but I don't believe it's much more than how people in Gothenburg feel about Stockholm, and nobody's talking about an independent Gothia.
Then you must be wrong about Scotland being like an English county, or Catalonia being the same as a Swedish one.

If you want to find something in Sweden similar to present Catalonia, what about Norway 1905?

If you mistakenly compare unlike things, you have no cause to be surprised if you find them to be different. The fact that there was a rebellion in Dublin a century ago can't be dismissed as irrelevant on the grounds that there was no rebellion in Norfolk or Rutland.
Quote:
I also can't shake the feeling that this is all playing into the hands of a certain Eastern autocrat.
Yes, that trope is familiar to me. It's all a plot to weaken England in the face of the Russkies, or whoever happens to be the current bogeyman. In Ireland in 1916 it was the Germans. In 1798 ... well, no prizes for that one. In 1641, the Pope.

I have tried to argue that a desire for independence is not necessarily a response to outrageous oppression, although Catalonia has indeed suffered that, and Ireland did as well, in the highest degree. But I used the example of a child desiring to leave the parental home. This is a natural development even in happy homes, and it should be accepted and fulfilled. If it is not, then the home will become an unhappy one, whatever it may have been up to that time.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 04:42 AM   #362
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,949
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Then you must be wrong about Scotland being like an English county, or Catalonia being the same as a Swedish one.

If you want to find something in Sweden similar to present Catalonia, what about Norway 1905?

If you mistakenly compare unlike things, you have no cause to be surprised if you find them to be different. The fact that there was a rebellion in Dublin a century ago can't be dismissed as irrelevant on the grounds that there was no rebellion in Norfolk or Rutland.
Point taken. I suppose the difference is time and circumstances of the union. Sweden and Norway were united in 1814 as a result of war. Sweden attacked Norway and forced the union. That union was then dissolved more or less peacefully in 1905. I don't think you can compare that to Scotland in the United Kingdom or Catalonia in Spain.


Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Yes, that trope is familiar to me. It's all a plot to weaken England in the face of the Russkies, or whoever happens to be the current bogeyman. In Ireland in 1916 it was the Germans. In 1798 ... well, no prizes for that one. In 1641, the Pope.
I do think that it's a plot. I think nationalism and separatism all over the West is being helped along by Putin. I see the same thing in Brexit.

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I have tried to argue that a desire for independence is not necessarily a response to outrageous oppression, although Catalonia has indeed suffered that, and Ireland did as well, in the highest degree. But I used the example of a child desiring to leave the parental home. This is a natural development even in happy homes, and it should be accepted and fulfilled. If it is not, then the home will become an unhappy one, whatever it may have been up to that time.
But that's not how nation states work, and it never has been. You are arguing that Spain should just allow the largest part of their economy to leave the country. Never going to happen, and the Catalonian government is stupid if it thought it would.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 24th October 2017 at 04:44 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:01 AM   #363
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
But that's not how nation states work, and it never has been. You are arguing that Spain should just allow the largest part of their economy to leave the country. Never going to happen, and the Catalonian government is stupid if it thought it would.
I see you're switching to a "might is right" argument, and that anyone who thinks any other principle should be applied - e.g. democratic expression of popular will, as was vainly made in Ireland 1918 - is "stupid". Your unabashed innocent imperialism is very refreshing.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:03 AM   #364
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 40,891
It's a paradox that countries that have already achieved independence are honoured and accepted and their independence days are recognised by foreign diplomats who go along and congratulate them and speak about their achievements in glowing terms.

But if a country which has lost its independence wants to regain it, these same diplomats will excoriate the ambition in the most abusive terms, threaten them with international ostracism and penury, and castigate those who hold the ambition to be normal like the regular guys as evil racist hate-filled Nazis.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:11 AM   #365
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,949
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I see you're switching to a "might is right" argument, and that anyone who thinks any other principle should be applied - e.g. democratic expression of popular will, as was vainly made in Ireland 1918 - is "stupid". Your unabashed innocent imperialism is very refreshing.
It's not a "might makes right" argument. It's simply reality. I don't think you can argue that Catalonia has a 'right' to be independent of Spain anymore than Spain has a 'right' to keep it. It's all just a matter of political reality.

As for "democratic expression of popular will", I don't believe an illegal referendum in which less than half the population participated is "popular will". I also don't think "popular will" on any given date is necessarily the best thing to do, see Brexit.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 24th October 2017 at 05:15 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:12 AM   #366
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,949
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
It's a paradox that countries that have already achieved independence are honoured and accepted and their independence days are recognised by foreign diplomats who go along and congratulate them and speak about their achievements in glowing terms.

But if a country which has lost its independence wants to regain it, these same diplomats will excoriate the ambition in the most abusive terms, threaten them with international ostracism and penury, and castigate those who hold the ambition to be normal like the regular guys as evil racist hate-filled Nazis.
Scotland is fairly similar to Catalonia in that it never 'lost' its independence as much as naturally merged into a larger union.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:21 AM   #367
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 40,891
Jeez, you really believe that?
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:21 AM   #368
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,949
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Jeez, you really believe that?
Yes. I read it in history books.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:29 AM   #369
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Point taken. I suppose the difference is time and circumstances of the union. Sweden and Norway were united in 1814 as a result of war. Sweden attacked Norway and forced the union. That union was then dissolved more or less peacefully in 1905. I don't think you can compare that to Scotland in the United Kingdom or Catalonia in Spain.
I can't even compare it to the history of Norway, as that country was not independent in 1814.
On January 7, 1814, about to be overrun by Swedish, Russian, and German troops under the command of the elected crown prince of Sweden, Charles John, Frederick VI of Denmark was prepared to cede Norway to the king of Sweden in order to avoid an occupation of Jutland.

... 1905 is the year when Norway regained its independence after the dissolution of the Union between Sweden and Norway. For the first time since 1397 Norway had a national king, after 500 years of political unions with other Scandinavia countries — the Kalmar Union until 1532, then Danish rule in the united kingdom of Denmark-Norway until 1814, and finally a personal union with Sweden until 1905
Sources: wiki.

Catalonia and Scotland, on the other hand, lost their parliaments at the same time, 1707-1714, both having previously shared a monarch with a more powerful neighbour.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 05:34 AM   #370
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,949
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I can't even compare it to the history of Norway, as that country was not independent in 1814.
On January 7, 1814, about to be overrun by Swedish, Russian, and German troops under the command of the elected crown prince of Sweden, Charles John, Frederick VI of Denmark was prepared to cede Norway to the king of Sweden in order to avoid an occupation of Jutland.

... 1905 is the year when Norway regained its independence after the dissolution of the Union between Sweden and Norway. For the first time since 1397 Norway had a national king, after 500 years of political unions with other Scandinavia countries — the Kalmar Union until 1532, then Danish rule in the united kingdom of Denmark-Norway until 1814, and finally a personal union with Sweden until 1905
Sources: wiki.

Catalonia and Scotland, on the other hand, lost their parliaments at the same time, 1707-1714, both having previously shared a monarch with a more powerful neighbour.
Scotland and Catalonia both have parliaments. I can't recall Catalonia ever being independent. Before the union of Aragon and Castille, Catalonia was a principality within Aragon.

And nice write-up on why Norway isn't comparable.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 24th October 2017 at 05:38 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 06:12 AM   #371
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Scotland and Catalonia both have parliaments. I can't recall Catalonia ever being independent. Before the union of Aragon and Castille, Catalonia was a principality within Aragon.
The modern parliament of CataloniaWP has interesting historical precedents.
Although the Counts of Barcelona, also Kings of Aragon from 1137, had greatly extended the territory under their control .., The need to secure troops and revenue led to the steady expansion of the royal court and a formalisation of its procedures. It came to be referred to as the Cort General de Catalunya or Corts catalanes(Catalan Courts), and was endowed with formal procedures, effectively a written constitution, by King Peter III of Aragon in 1283, making from this institution the policemaking and legislative body of the Principality of Catalonia ...
it also ... from 1359, established a permanent delegation to oversee the Crown (the Deputation of the General, forerunner of the Generalitat de Catalunya). The Catalan Courts were abolished by the Nueva Planta decrees in 1716 after Catalonia's defeat in the War of the Spanish Succession.
It is therefore easy to see why that is perceived (not without good reason) by modern Catalans, as a historical experience of independence, followed by its loss.
Quote:
And nice write-up on why Norway isn't comparable.
Thank you.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 06:13 AM   #372
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,949
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
The modern parliament of CataloniaWP has interesting historical precedents.
Although the Counts of Barcelona, also Kings of Aragon from 1137, had greatly extended the territory under their control .., The need to secure troops and revenue led to the steady expansion of the royal court and a formalisation of its procedures. It came to be referred to as the Cort General de Catalunya or Corts catalanes(Catalan Courts), and was endowed with formal procedures, effectively a written constitution, by King Peter III of Aragon in 1283, making from this institution the policemaking and legislative body of the Principality of Catalonia ...
it also ... from 1359, established a permanent delegation to oversee the Crown (the Deputation of the General, forerunner of the Generalitat de Catalunya). The Catalan Courts were abolished by the Nueva Planta decrees in 1716 after Catalonia's defeat in the War of the Spanish Succession.
It is therefore easy to see why that is perceived (not without good reason) by modern Catalans, as a historical experience of independence, followed by its loss.
I don't think those are very good reasons at all, because Catalonia wasn't independent before that. It was a civil war between princes. It was actually more of an interstate war between the major powers in Europe. Catalonia wasn't defeated. The Habsburgs were.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 24th October 2017 at 06:16 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 06:58 AM   #373
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,984
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't think those are very good reasons at all, because Catalonia wasn't independent before that. It was a civil war between princes. It was actually more of an interstate war between the major powers in Europe. Catalonia wasn't defeated. The Habsburgs were.
Yeah, this is the folly of trying to discuss political geography in that era. It was less "Catalonia" or "France" as distinct political entities and more "the Iberian holding of the Habsburgs" and "the domain of House Valois and their banners."

ETA: which has no bearing on my being for or against any given independence movement, I should add. What dead people "owned" or what prior people in that geographic spot wanted should make no difference in deciding what to do for the people who live their now (and perhaps even some consideration for those in the future). Dead people do not gain or lose from decisions made today, only those alive today and yet to be born will be impacted.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 24th October 2017 at 07:25 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 07:04 AM   #374
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 40,891
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yes. I read it in history books.

"History is written by the winners." Nevertheless there is plenty to be found about what actually happened if you take the trouble.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 07:06 AM   #375
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 40,891
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Slight digression. Would you mind?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=306968
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 07:30 AM   #376
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I don't think those are very good reasons at all, because Catalonia wasn't independent before that. It was a civil war between princes. It was actually more of an interstate war between the major powers in Europe ... The Habsburgs were [defeated].
Have you forgotten that these same Habsburgs had been rulers of Spain up to that war? Here is a description of their Spanish monarchy
"Spain" or "the Spains" in this period covered the entire peninsula, politically a confederacy comprising several, nominally independent kingdoms in personal union: Aragon, Castile, León, Navarre and, from 1580, Portugal. In some cases, these individual kingdoms themselves were confederations, most notably, the Crown of Aragon (Principality of Catalonia, Kingdom of Aragon, Kingdom of Valencia, and the Kingdom of Majorca).
Thus, Catalonia was a real existing polity with, as I have indicated, a Parliament and a government, in federation with other states in the Kingdom of Aragon, which itself shared a monarch with Castile.

This political arrangement was called "The Spains", and that is where it differs from the rather similar British arrangement of 1603 to 1707.
On 20 October 1604 King James, who had succeeded separately to the two thrones of England and Scotland, proclaimed himself "King of Great Brittaine, France, and Ireland. When James died in 1625 and the Privy Council of England was drafting the proclamation of the new king, Charles I, a Scottish peer, Thomas Erskine, 1st Earl of Kellie, succeeded in insisting that it use the phrase "King of Great Britain", which James had preferred, rather than King of Scotland and England (or vice versa. While that title was also used by some of James's successors, England and Scotland each remained legally separate countries, each with its own parliament, until 1707 ...
So the monarchy of England and Scotland, despite James's preference, was not consistently described as "The Britains" but was called by the names of the individual countries, whereas Spain by contrast was described as "The Spains" in that period.

Notice that the "Spains" consisted of polities having the characteristic of "legally separate countries": own Parliament; and that the Principality of Catalonia was one of these.

By general consent the British union is dated from the advent of a Union Parliament on May 1, 1707. By this criterion Catalonia lost its independence at about the same time.
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Catalonia wasn't defeated.
[In 1714] there remained the struggle in Catalonia ... those who wished to continue fighting could point to the fact that the Kingdoms of Aragon and Valencia, as well as those in Castile, were subject to a regime that had forced them to change their laws and historic constitutions ... In consequence, Barcelona decided to resist, but there would be no Allied help ... and Bolingbroke made no protest when, in early July 1714 – after a year of guerilla warfare in the region – Berwick returned to Catalonia to formally besiege Barcelona. Antoni de Villarroel put up a stout defence of the city, but with little hope of relief the Catalan capital surrendered on 11 September.
So Catalonia was defeated and in consequence lost its "laws and historic constitutions", effectively ceasing to be a separate political entity.

Last edited by Craig B; 24th October 2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 07:55 AM   #377
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Yeah, this is the folly of trying to discuss political geography in that era. It was less "Catalonia" or "France" as distinct political entities and more "the Iberian holding of the Habsburgs" and "the domain of House Valois and their banners."
That is absolute nonsense. It is as if you had absorbed as valid the most absurd pretentions of the most foolish monarchs. "l'état, c'est moi", eh?

The political history of states, of which monarchy is of course a part, but only a part, is a very important influence on modern events.

It's like the joke version of imperial history, when unfortunate schoolchildren were forced to learn and rhyme off lists of "kings and queens of England", and when they could do that, they were esteemed as knowledgeable about "History"

Spain is highly complex and diverse, and so are the Netherlands, and Austria, and Hungary and a myriad other places that have been "holdings of the Habsburgs". To examine their political and constitutional history is not a folly, but an indispensable study, if any understanding is to be achieved.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 08:47 AM   #378
Hubert Cumberdale
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 784
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
"History is written by the winners." Nevertheless there is plenty to be found about what actually happened if you take the trouble.
Unironically quoting Braveheart?

History is written by whoever writes history.
__________________
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 10:24 AM   #379
Planigale
Master Poster
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,392
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Ah yes, Irish republicans initiated a war on Britain. Poor Britain. Occupied and partitioned**? The final consequence was not the Civil War, but independence. I see the wicked Irish have established a 'Republic' with a 'Border', which is presenting a problem to poor Brexit Britain. More Irish aggression! Send in the Tans!
We do not yet know the final consequence, but the consequence in the near future is likely to be Ireland as a region of an EU state with a common foreign and defence policy*, common citizenship*, a common currency and fiscal policy*, a legal and judicial system with supremacy* over Ireland's court and laws. Less independence than following the war of independence, which as the name suggests resulted in independence, the civil war resulted in the republic.

I can understand that there is an argument that the people of Ireland freely surrendering their independence to be part of a European state is different from being forced to be part of a British commonwealth.

*These are not in themselves bad things.

** Arguably partition was a consequence of the civil war. (Even more arguably for the unionist population of Ireland independence was partition of the British state. Partition like many things can differ depending on your initial viewpoint.)

Last edited by Planigale; 24th October 2017 at 10:25 AM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 10:47 AM   #380
Planigale
Master Poster
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,392
Not meaning to derail, but a common argument that seems to be made is;
Brexit - the UK puts more into the EU than it gets out.
Catalonia - Catalonia puts more into Spain than it gets out.
Scotland - Scotland puts more into the UK than it gets out.
Italy - Lombardy puts more into italy than it gets out.

I do not disagree with redistribution of wealth from richer to poorer regions. But often these arguments are used by 'socialist' politicians (e.g. SNP) as an argument for increased independence. I never hear them say "we recognise that we are a wealthy region and will continue to transfer some of this wealth to poorer regions" (which is of course an issue with the Brexit negotiations; it would be interesting if e.g. there was a Grexit would the EU be volunteering to continue transferring funds to Greece after it left the EU?) I am morally uncomfortable every time I hear 'Catalonia is wealthier than the rest of Spain', or 'Scotland should keep oil income to itself'. An argument for independence should not rest on being selfish.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 03:13 PM   #381
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 40,891
Seen on Twitter.

Quote:
I think you misunderstand my position on borders. No "more" borders. I keep mine. You don't get one. It's perfectly simple.

Having a border is how you get to decide what happens to you. Which is why a Scottish one is unthinkable obviously.

Borders are vile. Divisive.*
NB Standard Neil Oliver Great British Coasts exception applies. Impressive. Primeval. Natural. Unity.

Borders are divisive. Vile.*
*NB Offer not available in the Republic of Ireland.

I suspect he can keep it up all night.

Happy independence day. I'm having a barbecue. No, not YOU, Scotland.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 04:37 PM   #382
ceptimus
puzzler
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,904
Scotland puts in more than it gets out? LOL
ceptimus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 08:29 PM   #383
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 55,451
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I'm always torn when it comes to regional independance. On the one hand, groups of people should have the right to determine their own fate... on the other hand, countries need to be able to maintain order and national integrity.

I don't know.
Especially if they are more successful than other parts of the country at drawing tourist dollars (or related success) so they have a better standard of living and the head guys want to spread the wealth even if they do nothing to create it.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 08:32 PM   #384
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 55,451
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Especially if they are more successful than other parts of the country at drawing tourist dollars (or related success) so they have a better standard of living and the head guys want to spread the wealth even if they do nothing to create it.
Not to mention that a number of countries do not have anything like order and integrity though some regions might well..........
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 10:06 PM   #385
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Scotland puts more into the UK than it gets out.
I don't think that's the prevalent stereotype. More like
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Scotland puts in more than it gets out? LOL
In fact we're supposed to be whining Benefit dependents, mired in drunken, substance-addicted sloth, battening like maggots on the long suffering generosity of the English taxpayers while repaying their unwarranted kindness with ungrateful insults. It's a wonder they put up with us at all.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 11:15 PM   #386
Planigale
Master Poster
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,392
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I don't think that's the prevalent stereotype. More like In fact we're supposed to be whining Benefit dependents, mired in drunken, substance-addicted sloth, battening like maggots on the long suffering generosity of the English taxpayers while repaying their unwarranted kindness with ungrateful insults. It's a wonder they put up with us at all.
There was the argument that Scotland was wealthy because of the oil income at the time of the referendum (the price of oil has since fallen) and that this wealth should be kept in Scotland. You do not deny such a case was made. I am uncomfortable with arguments based on selfishness.

Stereotyping any group of people is essentially a racist argument and should not be done even in jest. As has been said the Scots or the English or the Catalans are a diverse group of people some will be hard working, some angry, some Muslim, some anarchists.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 11:37 PM   #387
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
There was the argument that Scotland was wealthy because of the oil income at the time of the referendum (the price of oil has since fallen) and that this wealth should be kept in Scotland. You do not deny such a case was made. I am uncomfortable with arguments based on selfishness.

Stereotyping any group of people is essentially a racist argument and should not be done even in jest. As has been said the Scots or the English or the Catalans are a diverse group of people some will be hard working, some angry, some Muslim, some anarchists.
What a strange list of diversities you present us with! What is to prevent a single Scot, or member of any other nationality, from being at one and the same time a hard-working angry Muslim anarchist?

"Diverse" characteristics are more usually "either-or" in presentation. Diversity in eye colour means that some people have brown eyes, and others have blue ones, for example.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 11:50 PM   #388
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 40,891
It's a paradox. Catalonia's wealth is recognised and acknowledged. Scotland's is not. In fact Scotland has been putting in more than it gets out at any time period of the union for which accounts are available. In the 1920s the discrepancy is so large as to be absolutely jaw-dropping. And yet these accounts are concealed and Scotland is characterised as a poor country dependant on England's generosity to survive. Subsidy junkies whining for their next fix of English tax-payers' cash.

This portrayal is so pervasive that a large number of people in Scotland believe it. Indeed, I know of people who have looked around at the poor infrastructure in parts of Scotland compared to the largesse lavished on the south-east of England and declared, "look at us, how could we possibly go it alone," without actually working it out. Some English people seem not to understand that taxes are collected in Scotland and claim to have paid for everything from the Queensferry crossing to our free prescriptions.

So, we take all your money, we give you some of it back and tell you that this is our generosity without which you couldn't survive. In what way is that not a dysfunctional relationship? Bearing in mind that we're also told that we're a partnership of equals in the greatest union there has ever been.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 12:25 AM   #389
Planigale
Master Poster
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,392
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
It's a paradox. Catalonia's wealth is recognised and acknowledged. Scotland's is not. In fact Scotland has been putting in more than it gets out at any time period of the union for which accounts are available. In the 1920s the discrepancy is so large as to be absolutely jaw-dropping. And yet these accounts are concealed and Scotland is characterised as a poor country dependant on England's generosity to survive. Subsidy junkies whining for their next fix of English tax-payers' cash.

This portrayal is so pervasive that a large number of people in Scotland believe it. Indeed, I know of people who have looked around at the poor infrastructure in parts of Scotland compared to the largesse lavished on the south-east of England and declared, "look at us, how could we possibly go it alone," without actually working it out. Some English people seem not to understand that taxes are collected in Scotland and claim to have paid for everything from the Queensferry crossing to our free prescriptions.

So, we take all your money, we give you some of it back and tell you that this is our generosity without which you couldn't survive. In what way is that not a dysfunctional relationship? Bearing in mind that we're also told that we're a partnership of equals in the greatest union there has ever been.
I am trying to make a broad point about a case that has been made with regards to Brexit, Catalonia, Lombardy. This is probably not a good thread to get in to details about the economy of Scotland within the broader UK economy. If the distribution of tax within the UK is dysfunctional then that is an argument to fix it not to break it. I think it is wrong to shed poor regions to keep wealth in richer regions. If that is an argument for Nationalism I do not like it.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:17 AM   #390
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,247
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
More like In fact we're supposed to be whining Benefit dependents, mired in drunken, substance-addicted sloth, battening like maggots on the long suffering generosity of the English taxpayers while repaying their unwarranted kindness with ungrateful insults. It's a wonder they put up with us at all.
According to whom?
__________________
Some seem to think the UK leaving the EU is like Robbie leaving Take That.
In reality it's more like Pete leaving The Beatles.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:19 AM   #391
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,247
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Some English people seem not to understand that taxes are collected in Scotland and claim to have paid for everything from the Queensferry crossing to our free prescriptions.
Who is doing this? Can I see the article/source?
__________________
Some seem to think the UK leaving the EU is like Robbie leaving Take That.
In reality it's more like Pete leaving The Beatles.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:34 AM   #392
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
According to whom?
It is a commonplace so well known to Scots that, for instance, newspaper readers need no explanation of the references in this article, or indeed this one.

Last edited by Craig B; 25th October 2017 at 01:42 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:45 AM   #393
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,247
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
It is a commonplace so well known to Scots that, for instance, newspaper readers need no explanation of the references in this article,
That's the scotching of the myth. I was hoping to see the actual claims, not the rebuttal.

Quote:
or indeed this one.
Ah, like this one from 2012 from someone who seems to be a knob to anyone without a large independent income.
__________________
Some seem to think the UK leaving the EU is like Robbie leaving Take That.
In reality it's more like Pete leaving The Beatles.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 05:22 AM   #394
Giz
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,709
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I am trying to make a broad point about a case that has been made with regards to Brexit, Catalonia, Lombardy. This is probably not a good thread to get in to details about the economy of Scotland within the broader UK economy. If the distribution of tax within the UK is dysfunctional then that is an argument to fix it not to break it. I think it is wrong to shed poor regions to keep wealth in richer regions. If that is an argument for Nationalism I do not like it.
Right. The economic argument for secession should be "is the new state going to be economically viable", not "can we split off Mayfair from the East End and then Mayfair will be rich! (And to hell with our erstwhile fellow citizens in the East End)".

The most important argument for secession (whether Scotland, brexit or wherever) should be a desire for political autonomy, not for gerrymandering the tax base.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 05:45 AM   #395
Hubert Cumberdale
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 784
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I am trying to make a broad point about a case that has been made with regards to Brexit, Catalonia, Lombardy. This is probably not a good thread to get in to details about the economy of Scotland within the broader UK economy. If the distribution of tax within the UK is dysfunctional then that is an argument to fix it not to break it. I think it is wrong to shed poor regions to keep wealth in richer regions. If that is an argument for Nationalism I do not like it.
Richer regions should also bear in mind that if their wealth is largely founded on the price of a single commodity, they might find themselves up the proverbial creek without a paddle and running a 9% deficit if the commodity price drops by ~50%.
__________________
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 11:53 PM   #396
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Right. The economic argument for secession should be "is the new state going to be economically viable", not "can we split off Mayfair from the East End and then Mayfair will be rich! (And to hell with our erstwhile fellow citizens in the East End)".

The most important argument for secession (whether Scotland, brexit or wherever) should be a desire for political autonomy, not for gerrymandering the tax base.
That is true. Because it is true, the means proposed to achieve independence for Scotland consist of a referendum to determine the desire of the country's residents, not a budget and a finance Bill.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 12:02 AM   #397
Planigale
Master Poster
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,392
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
That is true. Because it is true, the means proposed to achieve independence for Scotland consist of a referendum to determine the desire of the country's residents, not a budget and a finance Bill.
I think what you should have written was,
"the means proposed to achieve independence for Scotland consisted of a referendum; this determined the desire of the country's residents was to remain part of the UK."
Some people find it difficult to accept democratic decisions (that includes me if you get on to Brexit!)
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 12:16 AM   #398
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,276
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I think what you should have written was,
"the means proposed to achieve independence for Scotland consisted of a referendum; this determined the desire of the country's residents was to remain part of the UK."
Some people find it difficult to accept democratic decisions (that includes me if you get on to Brexit!)
You think there are no proposals now to achieve independence? You think that if there are, they consist of gerrymandering of budgets? There are such proposals, and in part they flow from the fact that prior to the last referendum we were told that only a No vote would keep Scotland in the EU. Then the jingoistic xenophobes proved that to be a false prospectus by voting to take the Union out of the EU. Every electoral division of Scotland voted against that idea, by a convincing margin.

In spite of that, nobody is suggesting any means of dissolving the Union except a democratically conducted referendum.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 08:05 AM   #399
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 6,202
I'm far too disgusted with current events to post much on this topic. However, there was a short bit on Euronews (now towing the Madrid line and putting up made-in-Madrid reports exclusively) the other day comparing the Catalan revolt to that of George Wallace in Alabama, nodding in approval of the federal put-down of a jerk.

Except, in that case, as in the US Civil War, autonomy/independence was sought by locals in order to be able to suppress democratic rights and dehumanize opponents, not to protect or enhance the exercise of democracy. That the irony of using an excuse that acts, in the final analysis, as an accusation is not lost on Madrid is full indication of the paucity of its democratic credentials.
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion. Spends that time videogaming.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 26th October 2017 at 08:06 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 08:50 AM   #400
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 19,470
What would have happened if Madrid had simply ignored the Catalonia vote? Just let the Catalans have their little referendum, and paid little attention to it?

A public statement saying it has no legal basis or authority, and left it at that.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.