ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 14th October 2017, 08:13 PM   #81
Bubba
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Why is she asking you if it's red instead of telling you that?
IDK, Maybe she doesnt want to boast or seem cocky. Or sound like a smart ass.

Each time she said:

Having eggplant ? (yes)

Using blue paint ? (yes)

Is it red? (yes)
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 09:59 PM   #82
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Natural mediums, real clairvoyance, and in previous posts you spoke of a spirit world I read. So I get the impression you are, or consider yourself to be, an authority on this topic?

Can you tell me what spirits look like and are they made of any physical substance?
I have been to a lot of trance lectures by mediums, and gathered some idea of what the spirit world is like, but that in no way makes me an authority.

I have read it was said that the spirit world is as real as Charing Cross.
In other words it seems are real as the earth plane to its inhabitants. But there are a lot of differences. The spirits resemble the body they were last in and it resembles them as they were in the prime of life. But they loose their sexuality. I am not sure if that means they have no genitals, as I never asked. But if the do they are not used for sex. There is no reproduction in the spirit world.
They can teleport themselves to any location by willing it and they can fly by willing it too.
The spirit world is composed of some kind of energy, but of a much more subtle and refined type than the physical universe. It interpenetrates this universe and the spirits can pass through our walls. But they cannot see us clearly.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 09:59 PM   #83
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,945
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
IDK, Maybe she doesnt want to boast or seem cocky. Or sound like a smart ass.

Each time she said:

Having eggplant ? (yes)

Using blue paint ? (yes)

Is it red? (yes)
Yeah and she predicted the results of the fourth at Hialeah yesterday. We've been through this before. Your anecdotes, no matter how many more you conveniently remember as the thread proceeds are still "your anecdotes". That's all. We have no reason to believe you. Just as we have no reason to believe some other random woo peddler on the internet. In fact, the bit about you being a noted multi-color woo-flogger qualifies as all the more reason not to believe you. As they say in the courtrooms, "Goes to show a pattern, your honor."

Unless you can actually document and test this stuff it all amounts to "Cool story, bro!"
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:05 PM   #84
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 36,945
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have been to a lot of trance lectures by mediums, and gathered some idea of what the spirit world is like, but that in no way makes me an authority.

I have read it was said that the spirit world is as real as Charing Cross.
In other words it seems are real as the earth plane to its inhabitants. But there are a lot of differences. The spirits resemble the body they were last in and it resembles them as they were in the prime of life. But they loose their sexuality. I am not sure if that means they have no genitals, as I never asked. But if the do they are not used for sex. There is no reproduction in the spirit world.
They can teleport themselves to any location by willing it and they can fly by willing it too.
The spirit world is composed of some kind of energy, but of a much more subtle and refined type than the physical universe. It interpenetrates this universe and the spirits can pass through our walls. But they cannot see us clearly.
Cool story, bro!
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:10 PM   #85
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
By whom?
As I understand it the spirit world has a hierarchy that is like a pyramid. There are different planes of evolution and in the higher planes the beings there no longer reincarnate. They may be many thousands of years old and they may have completed their spiritual evolution on other planets. I believe Jesus said, " I was with God before the world began" meaning he had completed his evolution on other worlds, and he only came back to teach us.

Some of the higher spirits form a brother hood of administrators that guide human evolution from behind the scenes in subtle ways. The pyramid goes up all the way to the angels, which are a separate species who never incarnate. And at the top of the pyramid is God. The authority filters down from the divine mind through the angels to the advanced souls whose job it is to guide the human race.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 14th October 2017 at 10:13 PM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:19 PM   #86
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Children seeing things that are only imaginary is a natural part of their development in understanding their environment and the world around them. They will see something they do not understand so they are likely to associate it with something they have seen before; something they do understand, in order to make sense of what they are seeing. When we look at it, we don't see what they are talking about, because what we see is something already in our experience, and we are unable to make the visual connection between what we are seeing and what the child is describing.

Telling a child with an imaginary friend or who imagines things that we don't see, that they might be some kind of psychic, or encouraging them to believe this nonsense, is fraught with danger for the child and will almost certainly harm them psychologically in the long term. Psychics, mediums, clairvoyants, telepaths and others with such metaphysical or supernatural powers DO NOT EXIST. Those who claim to have such powers are certainly charlatans, frauds and liars, and those who believe them are fools.
Yea ! and children are very perceptive. They will soon sense it if an adult humours them and although I do not say encourage them to believe they are psychic, I do say consider that as a possibility. BECAUSE PSYCHICS DO EXIST.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:33 PM   #87
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
BECAUSE PSYCHICS DO EXIST.COLD READERS EXIST
FTFY
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 11:14 PM   #88
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,442
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
As I understand it the spirit world has a hierarchy that is like a pyramid. There are different planes of evolution and in the higher planes the beings there no longer reincarnate. They may be many thousands of years old and they may have completed their spiritual evolution on other planets. I believe Jesus said, " I was with God before the world began" meaning he had completed his evolution on other worlds, and he only came back to teach us.

Some of the higher spirits form a brother hood of administrators that guide human evolution from behind the scenes in subtle ways. The pyramid goes up all the way to the angels, which are a separate species who never incarnate. And at the top of the pyramid is God. The authority filters down from the divine mind through the angels to the advanced souls whose job it is to guide the human race.

</unsubscribe>
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 12:59 AM   #89
Explorer
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,114
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
As I understand it the spirit world has a hierarchy that is like a pyramid. There are different planes of evolution and in the higher planes the beings there no longer reincarnate. They may be many thousands of years old and they may have completed their spiritual evolution on other planets. I believe Jesus said, " I was with God before the world began" meaning he had completed his evolution on other worlds, and he only came back to teach us.

Some of the higher spirits form a brother hood of administrators that guide human evolution from behind the scenes in subtle ways. The pyramid goes up all the way to the angels, which are a separate species who never incarnate. And at the top of the pyramid is God. The authority filters down from the divine mind through the angels to the advanced souls whose job it is to guide the human race.
When is the human race going to be guided properly then? Can we sack some of those angels?
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 01:45 AM   #90
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster
 
Alice Shortcake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,126
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I believe Jesus said, " I was with God before the world began" meaning he had completed his evolution on other worlds, and he only came back to teach us.
But...Jesus himself, if he ever existed, didn't say this. A human being wrote it down after hearing other human beings talking about it. Ignoring this for a moment, why did Jesus never mention these other worlds? Could it possibly be because two thousand years ago people weren't aware of the possibility of inhabited planets other than Earth?
__________________
Proud member of the Debunkly Skerricks Pack
Alice Shortcake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 08:14 AM   #91
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Alice Shortcake View Post
But...Jesus himself, if he ever existed, didn't say this. A human being wrote it down after hearing other human beings talking about it. Ignoring this for a moment, why did Jesus never mention these other worlds? Could it possibly be because two thousand years ago people weren't aware of the possibility of inhabited planets other than Earth?
Actually I seem to remember that quote comes from the Aquarian gospel, not from the bible. But 2 Timothy 1:9 says this...

"Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,"

As for Jesus not mentioning other worlds, if he was alive before the world began he must have done his time somewhere else. Like another planet.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 08:18 AM   #92
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
When is the human race going to be guided properly then? Can we sack some of those angels?
I think the human race is largely spiritually unevolved, and we are a work in progress who make our own choices and pay the price.

A million years from now all our souls will probably see things differently.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 08:40 AM   #93
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,245
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Yes, but if there are real psychics, some children might be natural mediums and they should not be written off. Most children's imaginings will fade as they get older. But some might develop real clairvoyance. It will hurt them if no one believes what they say.
Your explanation cannot be supported by any formal observation and is entirely dependent on first hand accounts. Every other discipline that has examined memory and cognition have found it increasingly bad. It is fine that you believe it, by why would you bother to mention it to anyone else if the only reasonable position is not to believe a word you say?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 08:48 AM   #94
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Your explanation cannot be supported by any formal observation and is entirely dependent on first hand accounts. Every other discipline that has examined memory and cognition have found it increasingly bad. It is fine that you believe it, by why would you bother to mention it to anyone else if the only reasonable position is not to believe a word you say?
You people seem to think that saying anything that opposes your view point ought not to be allowed. I have only said what I think is 'probably' true and I don't make stuff up.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 08:49 AM   #95
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,133
The little girl could be Psychic Jesus. I'm unaware of any rule saying that when Jesus returns to earth he cannot come as a girl with psychic powers.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 08:51 AM   #96
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,245
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
You people seem to think that saying anything that opposes your view point ought not to be allowed. I have only said what I think is 'probably' true and I don't make stuff up.
You didn't pay attention to what I wrote. I said it is fine that they are your beliefs. My question was why bother saying them if the only reasonable position for others is to reject them?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:07 AM   #97
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You didn't pay attention to what I wrote. I said it is fine that they are your beliefs. My question was why bother saying them if the only reasonable position for others is to reject them?
Why speak for others, you cannot know if I might give someone ideas they had not considered. In any case there is a Muslim opponent here whose writings give me something to criticise, and I would not miss that.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:13 AM   #98
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,634
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
A million years from now all our souls will probably see things differently.
We're gonna have eyes on our feet?

Seems inconvenient.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:17 AM   #99
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,245
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Why speak for others, you cannot know if I might give someone ideas they had not considered.
A) why would you want to?

B) even if that is based on them using unreasonable judgement?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:23 AM   #100
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
A) why would you want to?

B) even if that is based on them using unreasonable judgement?
Keep working on that.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 09:49 AM   #101
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,245
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Keep working on that.
Can you answer A?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 10:05 AM   #102
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Can you answer A?
I didn't mean keep working on it. I meant forget about it.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 10:08 AM   #103
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,245
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I didn't mean keep working on it. I meant forget about it.
You won't or are you incapable of answering a question about why you pursue some course of action?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 10:12 AM   #104
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You won't or are you incapable of answering a question about why you pursue some course of action?
I don't see any reason to let you try and pick me apart. I say what I want to say and that's it.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 10:13 AM   #105
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,245
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I don't see any reason to let you try and pick me apart. I say what I want to say and that's it.
I'm going to mark that down as won't.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 12:45 PM   #106
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,679
This was a thread in which the OP asked for comment when her grand-daughter was seeing things that weren't there.

The addition of discussions about mediums, psychics and other frauds as well as psychic powers, spirituality, souls and other complete woo woo bollocks has no place in this discussion. None of that BS is in any way relevant to the OP and whet she was asking.
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 12:47 PM   #107
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,245
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This was a thread in which the OP asked for comment when her grand-daughter was seeing things that weren't there.

The addition of discussions about mediums, psychics and other frauds as well as psychic powers, spirituality, souls and other complete woo woo bollocks has no place in this discussion. None of that BS is in any way relevant to the OP and whet she was asking.
One explanation provided is being disputed as a good explanation.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 01:33 PM   #108
welshdean
6 NATIONS 2016
-MORAL VICTORS-
 
welshdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,017
welshdean has a birthday
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
As I understand it the spirit world has a hierarchy that is like a pyramid. There are different planes of evolution and in the higher planes the beings there no longer reincarnate. They may be many thousands of years old and they may have completed their spiritual evolution on other planets. I believe Jesus said, " I was with God before the world began" meaning he had completed his evolution on other worlds, and he only came back to teach us.

Some of the higher spirits form a brother hood of administrators that guide human evolution from behind the scenes in subtle ways. The pyramid goes up all the way to the angels, which are a separate species who never incarnate. And at the top of the pyramid is God. The authority filters down from the divine mind through the angels to the advanced souls whose job it is to guide the human race.
Thor?
__________________
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 02:23 PM   #109
Thor 2
Illuminator
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 3,030
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I have been to a lot of trance lectures by mediums, and gathered some idea of what the spirit world is like, but that in no way makes me an authority.

I have read it was said that the spirit world is as real as Charing Cross.
In other words it seems are real as the earth plane to its inhabitants. But there are a lot of differences. The spirits resemble the body they were last in and it resembles them as they were in the prime of life. But they loose their sexuality. I am not sure if that means they have no genitals, as I never asked. But if the do they are not used for sex. There is no reproduction in the spirit world.
They can teleport themselves to any location by willing it and they can fly by willing it too.
The spirit world is composed of some kind of energy, but of a much more subtle and refined type than the physical universe. It interpenetrates this universe and the spirits can pass through our walls. But they cannot see us clearly.

Thanks for the reply. You have a lot of info in your post but I wonder if you can fill me in on some more?

The spirits you talk of. Are they inside our bodies now and only break out when we die, or can they roam about in the astral plain whilst we are still alive and in a trance/sleep? Is this another name for a soul and do we get one when we are born or conceived?
__________________
There are billions of gods. One or more in the mind of every theist.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 02:55 PM   #110
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Thor?
No, the All Seeing Eye!!
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 02:57 PM   #111
wasapi
Illuminator
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,677
So, this seemed to start simply enough with my OP. My little 3 year old, Gianna, I believe is a child that has an interesting, colorful imagination. It is enjoyable to be around her because she is creative, curious, and loves images, words, colors and sounds.

It was never my intention to suggest she has some type of 'paranormal powers'. It is already family speculation she will chose a creative focus, art, writing, singing. Both of her parents are artists and writers.

She has visited since the day of 'The Man in the Hallway'. We sat in the same place as before, and she made no reference. When I was a child, I had an imaginary pet alligator that I walked around with on an imaginary leash. It was comforting for some reason. My mother played along and gave him his own little plate for breakfast.

When I started this thread, I guess it was perhaps to point out how easy it is for parents, leaning towards woo, to read into it something that didn't exist. Gianna is simply a wonderful child with a wonderful, colorful imagination.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 03:07 PM   #112
Scorpion
Graduate Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. You have a lot of info in your post but I wonder if you can fill me in on some more?

The spirits you talk of. Are they inside our bodies now and only break out when we die, or can they roam about in the astral plain whilst we are still alive and in a trance/sleep? Is this another name for a soul and do we get one when we are born or conceived?
I have answered you on my thread, scorpions spiritualism.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 05:49 PM   #113
fuelair
Suspended
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 55,698
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Well I think you skeptics need some opposition. Because for one thing you are all totally wrong.

How do you explain my story about a medium telling me the spirit world inspired me to do a blue and white painting. And she said I was not satisfied with it. Since I had told nobody at the church I even did such a painting let alone that I was not satisfied with it , that is an indication the spirit world could not only inspire me, but they could read my mind with telepathy to determine my thoughts about the painting.
Or pay a little attention to your body language as you spoke about the painting.

The latter is very much more likely!!!!!!! And, what do you expect a claiming to be medium to tell you?????
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:26 PM   #114
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator
 
DevilsAdvocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,704
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I would posit pareidolia as a possible explanation for the child's behaviour. I remember seeing a person standing in my bedroom one night, and being too scared to move.......until the morning light revealed some clothes arranged on the back of a chair.
That was my first thought. Such an experience can be disconcerting. Iíve told the story on the forums before of the time I spent several minutes conversing with a man in a ravine who wasnít there--it was just a trick of light and shadows on the trees at different distances that I mistakenly took to be a single object, a man shaking his head and waving his arm in response to my questions. It is difficult to get the brain to flip around to understanding that there isnít actually a person there, even for an adult.

The child sees something that indicates the presence of a personóa shadow, the sound of a door closing, etc. If the child sees what they believe is the shadow of a man, that must mean that there is a man there. But they donít see a man. This can be confusing. How can there be a manís shadow without a man? When you ask what she is looking at, she says she is looking at the man. She doesnít actually see a man. She is looking where the man should be. She is not looking at the man but rather looking for the man, but that isnít what you asked.

She was at first scared because she didnít know who the man was and whether he might be a bad man. Then she was confused because she couldnít see the man that must be there. Now that an adult has had a look and isnít concerned, it must not be bad man. It must be a nice man. She canít say there isnít a man because that would mean she was lying when she said she was looking at a man, and lying is bad. And she wasnít actually lying. So she plays along that there is a nice man there. Hi, nice man!

For a child that age, a situation like that can be confusing to understand and even more difficult to communicate. They have to go with what they know and what they think they are supposed to do and say, even if that ends up seeming odd to an adult. The child may not even understand what they are thinking and why. That leaves the adult in a position where they donít really know what the child is thinking or why they behaving the way they are.
__________________
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 06:46 PM   #115
poblob14
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 620
Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Thor?
For a couple of days, yeth, but then the doctor gave me thome ointment and it felt better.

Last edited by poblob14; 15th October 2017 at 06:48 PM.
poblob14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 03:22 AM   #116
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster
 
TofuFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,599
Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Thor?
The VERY NEXT reply to your post was made by Thor.

__________________
"come on. Judas is meeting us at midnight with the getaway donkeys"
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 04:22 AM   #117
SteveL
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
That was my first thought. Such an experience can be disconcerting. Iíve told the story on the forums before of the time I spent several minutes conversing with a man in a ravine who wasnít there--it was just a trick of light and shadows on the trees at different distances that I mistakenly took to be a single object, a man shaking his head and waving his arm in response to my questions. It is difficult to get the brain to flip around to understanding that there isnít actually a person there, even for an adult.

The child sees something that indicates the presence of a personóa shadow, the sound of a door closing, etc. If the child sees what they believe is the shadow of a man, that must mean that there is a man there. But they donít see a man. This can be confusing. How can there be a manís shadow without a man? When you ask what she is looking at, she says she is looking at the man. She doesnít actually see a man. She is looking where the man should be. She is not looking at the man but rather looking for the man, but that isnít what you asked.

She was at first scared because she didnít know who the man was and whether he might be a bad man. Then she was confused because she couldnít see the man that must be there. Now that an adult has had a look and isnít concerned, it must not be bad man. It must be a nice man. She canít say there isnít a man because that would mean she was lying when she said she was looking at a man, and lying is bad. And she wasnít actually lying. So she plays along that there is a nice man there. Hi, nice man!

For a child that age, a situation like that can be confusing to understand and even more difficult to communicate. They have to go with what they know and what they think they are supposed to do and say, even if that ends up seeming odd to an adult. The child may not even understand what they are thinking and why. That leaves the adult in a position where they donít really know what the child is thinking or why they behaving the way they are.
Was he on the stair?
SteveL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 05:30 AM   #118
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,633
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But they loose their sexuality.
Man. Hugh Hefner must be bored as ****.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 12:50 PM   #119
welshdean
6 NATIONS 2016
-MORAL VICTORS-
 
welshdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,017
welshdean has a birthday
Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
The VERY NEXT reply to your post was made by Thor.

Indeed.
I called and he came. From henceforth I shall be known as, Welshdean the invoker of gods.

Watch this.

Oh great pharoah, immortal son of Amenhotep, rise from your slumber Akenhaten, I command thee.
__________________
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP

Last edited by welshdean; 16th October 2017 at 01:00 PM.
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 03:25 PM   #120
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,836
Sorry Welshdean!
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.