ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Aung San Suu Kyi , Burma incidents , Burma issues

Old 22nd October 2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Palestinians vs Rohingya Muslims

The Rohingya Muslims have lived in Burma for more than 1,000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohing...#Early_history

Their connections to the land are beyond dispute.

However, the government of Burma refuses to recognize them as a people, and therefore refuses them citizenship.

That's 1.3 million people without citizenship, due to Burma's discriminatory citizenship law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myanmar_nationality_law

And now, Burma has ethnically cleansed at least 650,000 Rohingya civilians into Bangladesh.

Meanwhile, there are no Leftist protests in support of the Rohingya Muslim people in Berlin, London, San Fran, NYC.

Why not? Is it because the persecutors of the Rohingya people in this case are Buddhists, and its not politically correct to condemn Buddhist bigotry?

Hell, not even the Palestinian people have come out in support of the Rohingya.

The double standard is sick.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You aren't concerned about the plight of the people but you are concerned that "leftist" protestors aren't out protesting.

I have to say I think your concerns are very misplaced.

And there have been protests.
Old 23rd October 2017, 06:31 AM   #3
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Hold on, saving this link for directing all the other "whataboutism" arguments from other threads to...

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Garrison
Illuminator

Well I saw Jeremy Corbun condemning this is in his speech to the labour Conference just a couple of weeks back and he is about as left wing as it gets. In fact he went further:

Jeremy Corbyn's plea for Rohingyas to Aung San Suu Kyi

In fact if you look you can find plenty of condemnations/protests about the Rohingya's plight. If they aren't particularly 'leftist' that would be because in the UK and elsewhere there is no left/right divide on this issue.
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:49 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Good luck with an appeal to the government in Burma....a bunch of thugs.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 02:58 AM   #6
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Huh? There have been quite a few protests...
Old 26th October 2017, 06:16 AM   #7
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Meanwhile, there are no Leftist protests in support of the Rohingya Muslim people in Berlin, London, San Fran, NYC.
That's either ignorance or a lie. There have certainly been protests in London.

That aside, this issue is still relatively "new," so to contrast it with another that has been going on for decades is pretty silly.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 05:49 AM   #8
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
The Rohingya Muslims have lived in Burma for more than 1,000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohing...#Early_history

Their connections to the land are beyond dispute.

However, the government of Burma refuses to recognize them as a people, and therefore refuses them citizenship.

That's 1.3 million people without citizenship, due to Burma's discriminatory citizenship law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myanmar_nationality_law

And now, Burma has ethnically cleansed at least 650,000 Rohingya civilians into Bangladesh.

Why not? Is it because the persecutors of the Rohingya people in this case are Buddhists, and its not politically correct to condemn Buddhist bigotry?

Hell, not even the Palestinian people have come out in support of the Rohingya.

The double standard is sick.
I have commented on this before. It is a deplorable situation and Aung san suu kyi is finding that a lot of the support she had before is disappearing because she is not speaking out against it. I think the difference is that in this case everyone agrees that Myanmar is in the wrong. There is no debate about it.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 12:59 PM   #9
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Well I saw Jeremy Corbun condemning this is in his speech to the labour Conference just a couple of weeks back and he is about as left wing as it gets. In fact he went further:

Jeremy Corbyn's plea for Rohingyas to Aung San Suu Kyi

In fact if you look you can find plenty of condemnations/protests about the Rohingya's plight. If they aren't particularly 'leftist' that would be because in the UK and elsewhere there is no left/right divide on this issue.
Yes.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 05:35 AM   #10
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

The Nobel Peace Prize should be renamed
Old 29th October 2017, 07:52 AM   #11
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Or maybe given out more selectively.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics