ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th October 2017, 12:12 AM   #161
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I cannot give a specific reply to incomprehensible gibberish.

I chose to reply with some well known incomprehensible gibberish, to give you an idea of what reading your posts is like for the rest of us.
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
That was a specific reply, without deviation. It said, more clearly and in fewer words, exactly what I said: your previous post was incomprehensible. We speak English here: it would be good if you'd try to also.
Same, as my last post.
Old 25th October 2017, 12:18 AM   #162
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Sorry, it is bit indicative to me, when you want/can discuss, you do not make this excuse otherwise make.
Sometimes I can work out what you mean. Other times I can't. This particular post was utterly incomprehensible, even to those of us who have had plenty of practise at extracting intended meaning from your tortured English.
Old 25th October 2017, 12:36 AM   #163
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes I can work out what you mean. Other times I can't. This particular post was utterly incomprehensible, even to those of us who have had plenty of practise at extracting intended meaning from your tortured English.
Possible. Few of my posts are bit deep and dynamic. Difficult to swim in them. Simply, I was willing to understand if basis of few religions were basic nature rules and of others, gross.?
Old 25th October 2017, 12:53 AM   #164
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Possible. Few of my posts are bit deep and dynamic. Difficult to swim in them.
No, it's not that. It's your inability to write clear English that is the problem.

Quote:
Simply, I was willing to understand if basis of few religions were basic nature rules and of others, gross.?
I still have no idea how you're dividing nature's rules into those categories, but I know of no religion which is based on nature's rules at all. Most are attempts to impose some sort of ethical framework onto a universe which does not have one, i.e. to improve on nature's rules.
Old 25th October 2017, 12:59 AM   #165
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Possible. Few of my posts are bit deep and dynamic.

Very few. Most, if not all, of them are shallow and adhere rigidly to misunderstandings.

Quote:
Difficult to swim in them.

You're getting dangerously close to The Emperor's New Clothes here. An attempt to argue that their pronouncement are too advanced for people to understand is a common refuge of charlatans. If your posts are unintelligible, the communication problems that result are your fault, not anyone else's.

Quote:
Simply, I was willing to understand if basis of few religions were basic nature rules and of others, gross.?

And you have been txt that religions are human inventions. Get over it.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:17 AM   #166
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's not that. It's your inability to write clear English that is the problem.

I still have no idea how you're dividing nature's rules into those categories, but I know of no religion which is based on nature's rules at all. Most are attempts to impose some sort of ethical framework onto a universe which does not have one, i.e. to improve on nature's rules.
I doubt all above. It can be one or majority POV but not universal.
Old 25th October 2017, 01:24 AM   #167
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I doubt all above. It can be one or majority POV but not universal.
Doubt away, but to convince me you'd have to find an example of a religion which is based on nature's rules - that's nature's actual rules, not ones made up by people. I'm not saying there's no such religion - there may well be - but I can't think of one.

Crowley's "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" comes closest, I suppose.
Old 25th October 2017, 01:27 AM   #168
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Very few. Most, if not all, of them are shallow and adhere rigidly to misunderstandings.

You're getting dangerously close to The Emperor's New Clothes here. An attempt to argue that their pronouncement are too advanced for people to understand is a common refuge of charlatans. If your posts are unintelligible, the communication problems that result are your fault, not anyone else's.
Still, anyway we need to manage it to try to get better understandings.

Quote:
And you have been txt that religions are human inventions. Get over it.
That was the basic question to really understand any religion. You can not take your primative forefather or some older fore father or father with one consideration. They must had been influenced by different environment as existed during their life time.Environment change can also be dependent on nature's change.
Old 25th October 2017, 01:31 AM   #169
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Doubt away, but to convince me you'd have to find an example of a religion which is based on nature's rules - that's nature's actual rules, not ones made up by people. I'm not saying there's no such religion - there may well be - but I can't think of one.

Crowley's "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" comes closest, I suppose.
Few quotes somewhat justifying nature's basic rules, I already gave elsewhere. You would had read those, if you are following me.

I shall see it later. Thanks.
Old 25th October 2017, 01:36 AM   #170
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Few quotes somewhat justifying nature's basic rules, I already gave elsewhere. You would had read those, if you are following me.
I have been following you (well, those posts of yours which I can make any sense out of, which is maybe half of them) and I've yet to see you give an example of a religion which is based on nature's actual rules.
Old 25th October 2017, 01:50 AM   #171
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Just did a bit of research on Crowley to find out what he based his religion on and no, it definitely does not qualify as a religion based on nature's rules.

So I'm still waiting for an example of a religion which is. Jainism, the religion Kumar has been advocating, certainly isn't, quite the reverse.
Old 25th October 2017, 01:56 AM   #172
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

....Have you bought any of the books that have been recommended?
Still waiting.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 02:07 AM   #173
fagin
Illuminator

I think Kumar is confusing what most people understand as 'natural laws' (physical or scientific laws) with philosophy. The twain never shall meet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_law

Quote:
A physical law or scientific law is a theoretical statement "inferred from particular facts, applicable to a defined group or class of phenomena, and expressible by the statement that a particular phenomenon always occurs if certain conditions be present

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law

Quote:
Natural law (Latin: ius naturale, lex naturalis) is a philosophy asserting that certain rights are inherent by virtue of human nature, endowed by nature
Adding in a little bit of law of the jungle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_jungle

Quote:
The law of the jungle" is an expression that means "every man for himself", "anything goes", "survival of the strongest", "survival of the fittest", "kill or be killed", "dog eat dog" and "eat or be eaten". The Oxford English Dictionary defines the Law of the Jungle as "the code of survival in jungle life, now usually with reference to the superiority of brute force or self-interest in the struggle for survival."[1] It is also known as jungle law or frontier justice.

The phrase was used in a poem by Rudyard Kipling to describe the obligations and behaviour of a wolf in a pack. However, this use of the term has been overtaken in popularity by the other interpretations above
Old 25th October 2017, 02:12 AM   #174
Mojo
Mostly harmless

That was the basic question to really understand any religion. You can not take your primative forefather or some older fore father or father with one consideration. They must had been influenced by different environment as existed during their life time.Environment change can also be dependent on nature's change.

Conditions and environment can change, but the basic "rules" don't. If they can be changed they are not "nature's rules".

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 02:33 AM   #175
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Just did a bit of research on Crowley to find out what he based his religion on and no, it definitely does not qualify as a religion based on nature's rules.

So I'm still waiting for an example of a religion which is. Jainism, the religion Kumar has been advocating, certainly isn't, quite the reverse.
Same old idiocy. Giving a reference is not owning or advocating that like other poster assumed abou PETA & Jainism. With me, pls concentrate of universal sense/concept not on specific entity. If anything anywhere matches with somewhat relevant to what we are discussing/checking, it does not mean everything of that will also match. Such individual or partial matching can be possible with every existing thing.
Old 25th October 2017, 02:35 AM   #176
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Still waiting.
No, not yet practical for me. Moreover I also have other references.
Old 25th October 2017, 02:38 AM   #177
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Kumar, if a religion were to prohibit posting on Internet forums, would that prohibition be one of "current nature's rules"?
Yes.
Old 25th October 2017, 02:40 AM   #178
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I think Kumar is confusing what most people understand as 'natural laws' (physical or scientific laws) with philosophy. The twain never shall meet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law

Adding in a little bit of law of the jungle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_jungle
I think, posters here since have scientific base are getting confused due to above variations.
Old 25th October 2017, 02:40 AM   #179
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Same old idiocy. Giving a reference is not owning or advocating that like other poster assumed abou PETA & Jainism. With me, pls concentrate of universal sense/concept not on specific entity. If anything anywhere matches with somewhat relevant to what we are discussing/checking, it does not mean everything of that will also match. Such individual or partial matching can be possible with every existing thing.
Impossible. You're admitting you speak only nonsense, and are asking us to find the sense in between your words.
I'm afraid that's not how it works.

Let me ask you: what, according to you, are these laws of nature that a true religion must obey?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 02:41 AM   #180
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Conditions and environment can change, but the basic "rules" don't. If they can be changed they are not "nature's rules".
How can you claim it when you even do not know what nature's rules are and what can be their basis?
Old 25th October 2017, 03:05 AM   #181
fagin
Illuminator

I think, posters here since have scientific base are getting confused due to above variations.
No kumar, your inability to express yourself clearly is what causes confusion.
There are natural laws, which are unchanging and control how the universe as we know it works, and stuff made up by people, which are generally random and incoherent.

Be clear on what you want to debate.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:15 AM   #182
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
No kumar, your inability to express yourself clearly is what causes confusion.
There are natural laws, which are unchanging and control how the universe as we know it works, and stuff made up by people, which are generally random and incoherent.

Be clear on what you want to debate.
First I want to lnow what are nature's laws which never change and what is the basis of those?
Old 25th October 2017, 04:16 AM   #183
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

First I want to lnow what are nature's laws which never change and what is the basis of those?
What, again? Weren't you paying attention?

The basis is science and maths. Are these a problem for you?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 04:19 AM   #184
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Impossible. You're admitting you speak only nonsense, and are asking us to find the sense in between your words.
I'm afraid that's not how it works.

Let me ask you: what, according to you, are these laws of nature that a true religion must obey?
Instinct or true nature of any substance.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:23 AM   #185
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

What, again? Weren't you paying attention?

The basis is science and maths. Are these a problem for you?
Are you suggesting science and maths had made the nature's rules and whatever is available in these two are only the nature's rules even atom bombs?
Old 25th October 2017, 04:25 AM   #186
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Instinct or true nature of any substance.
Great. So we need a religion that requires us to poop, eat, blink, drink, fight, flee, and have sex. Not necessarily in that order.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 04:27 AM   #187
Argumemnon
World Maker

Are they individually/independently that type or mutually? However it can also confirm my POV, one based ONLY current/gross nature's rules other ONLY basic/prime nature's rules, so both bit different. Rationality should vest in maintaining some gross by keeping primes/basics. Like, somewhat for example we opt foods mixed with some salt or sugar.
Is that word salad supposed to mean anything? None of your posts directed at me seem to actually address what I said or make any sort of argument. I could be wrong but you're being so incoherent that it's hard to tell.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 04:41 AM   #188
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Are you suggesting science and maths had made the nature's rules and whatever is available in these two are only the nature's rules even atom bombs?
It took me 5 goes reading this babble to discern any possible meaning from it, but if it means what I think it means, then...........yes. All natures rules are written in numbers, and mathematicians and scientists are uncovering them.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:47 AM   #189
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Great. So we need a religion that requires us to poop, eat, blink, drink, fight, flee, and have sex. Not necessarily in that order.
You need it or not, it is different and personal issue and whatever you suggested above may not come under definition given by me. Read some other quote, posted today only.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:51 AM   #190
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

It took me 5 goes reading this babble to discern any possible meaning from it, but if it means what I think it means, then...........yes. All natures rules are written in numbers, and mathematicians and scientists are uncovering them.
Slight deviation. They may have uncovered to some extent but they are not the basis of nature rule creation.
Who created nature and nature rules and what are they?
Old 25th October 2017, 04:55 AM   #191
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Is that word salad supposed to mean anything? None of your posts directed at me seem to actually address what I said or make any sort of argument. I could be wrong but you're being so incoherent that it's hard to tell.
There appear to be some MPOVs issue, so can not be solved by any arguments. So we can leave that. Now.
What is the basis of all existences in this world? Is it nature?

Last edited by Kumar; 25th October 2017 at 04:57 AM.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 04:55 AM   #192
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Cart before the horse. Understanding of nature's rules allows one to describe them through scientific and mathematical means. And yes, atom bombs are one example of nature's laws. A scientific and mathematical understanding of nature's laws allowed the construction of atom bombs. And ice cream, too. Over your head, I suppose, but that's life.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 04:58 AM   #193
Argumemnon
World Maker

There appear to be some MPOVs issue, so can not be solved by any arguments.
Actually, that's what arguments are for.

Quote:
What is the basis of all existences in this world?
That's a meaningless question. Non-existence is impossible.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 05:00 AM   #194
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Cart before the horse. Understanding of nature's rules allows one to describe them through scientific and mathematical means. And yes, atom bombs are one example of nature's laws. A scientific and mathematical understanding of nature's laws allowed the construction of atom bombs. And ice cream, too. Over your head, I suppose, but that's life.
Are you suggesting that the prime basis of all things and beings since begining to end is and will be nature only?
Old 25th October 2017, 05:00 AM   #195
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

........Who created nature and nature rules.....
No-one. Now stick to the subject.
Old 25th October 2017, 05:02 AM   #196
Argumemnon
World Maker

Are you suggesting that the prime basis of all things and beings since begining to end is and will be nature only?
What does this have to do with the topic?

You asked about differences between religions. I made a comment about the top two most popular ones today being bigger troublemakers than the others. Also, nonbelief is not a religion.

That's it.

Old 25th October 2017, 05:09 AM   #197
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Who created nature and nature rules and what are they?
All right, I admit it, it was me. And yes, I am the only source of the One True Religion.

I don't need your worship though, just try not to be an *******, and take care of the ecosystem.
Old 25th October 2017, 05:55 AM   #198
JJM 777
Illuminator

I was willing to understand if basis of few religions were basic nature rules and of others, gross.?
Maybe try with writing in your native language, whatever it is. Many of us might understand it better than your English.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 06:07 AM   #199
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

All right, I admit it, it was me. And yes, I am the only source of the One True Religion.

I don't need your worship though, just try not to be an *******, and take care of the ecosystem.
Evidence?
Old 25th October 2017, 06:12 AM   #200
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Evidence?
So you HAVE learned something in those 14 years?
Too bad you won't apply it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy