ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th October 2017, 08:36 PM   #281
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Kumar, there are no
But, it is very much apparent.
Old 26th October 2017, 08:41 PM   #282
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Comparing Islam with Christianity . The teachings of Jesus are inspiring and merciful, but the rantings of Muhammad are full of cruelty and warmongering.
..;
I note, you know these two very well. Can you tell about main differences among these two on top of list in OP? Whether there is no controversy at prime level but is at gross level?
Old 26th October 2017, 09:18 PM   #283
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
I feel this made story is also needed here
for better understanding:

Four friends gone to a big car showroom to buy a suitable car for them. Smart salesman explained about safety, risks, strength, stability and latest features of different cars. Now the reactions:

Ist: It is risky to travel by a car. I shall manage by walking anyway. Not bought.

2nd: I shall buy a strong and safe car may be with less features. Bought car with heavy metal but lesser speed n features.

3rd: I shall buy a car with latest features even of thin metal. I want better speed. Bought accordingly.

4th: I shall prefer car, reasonably strong, stable with reasonable features. Bought accordingly.

Now the outcome: all traveled thrice say about 100 kms ist on a sunny cool clear day, 2nd in some emergency situation and 3rd on a cloudy rainy day.

Can you logically assume the outcomes from these 3 travels? Pls tell. Good luck.
Surprising, no one could logically assume above.? Anyway I shall assume:

ON IST TRIP ON A SUNNY CLEAR DAY:

Ist reached destination(100 km far) in two days felt bit tired but still enjoyed environment, maximum. Also feltal healthful.

2nd reached destination in 4 hours safely, somehow felt less stressed and also enjoyed environment, sufficiently.

3rd reached in 2 hours but felt most stress and doesn't enjoyed the environment.

4th reached in 3 hours, felt lesser stress and also enjoyed reasonably.

ON IInd TRIP IN EMERGENCY STIUATION

IST reached in 2 days, felt maximum stress, impulsiveness, no enjoyment and couldn't reach destination in time.

2nd reached in 4 hours, some stress, some impulsiveness, no enjoyment, however could reach bit late.

3rd reached in 2 hours, less stress, confident, no impulsiveness, no enjoyment.

4th reached in 3 hours with reasonable emotions as above.

ON IIIrd TRIP ON A CLOUDY RAINY DAY

IST trapped in bad weather & got C&C, couldn't reach.

All other three were unfortunate to met with an serious accident due to bad weather and so couldn't reach. Fate:

2nd Car bit damaged but he saved unhurt.

3rd. Car damaged mostly (non repairable) and he got very serious fatal injuries.

4th Car damaged reasonably(still repairable) and he also got some maintainable and heal-able injuries.

NOW you can make out the importance of prime/basic, intermediate & gross/latest levels from above made example. Level & environment can be important in getting the different outcomes and we may need to judge anything or any faith accordingly.

Ist being prime or truth level, 2nd intermediate or obsolete or irrational level, 3rd gross/current/irrational level and 4th being rational level.

Good luck.
Old 26th October 2017, 09:24 PM   #284
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Hello,

Below is the indicated list of world's 20 largest religions and their number of believers:

It is difficult to discuss about all religions. So we can discuss about Ist four * marked in above list in this thread.

I have posted few posts in other topics, how religions can be different from other and how unnecessary arguments, MPOVs occur?

True religion should mean something auspicious entity or concept and should not attract odds among different people. Just from my POV, I feel, it is the level of suggested principles which should be real reasoning to getting such odds. Level: I mean from Prime/basic to gross/current and intermediate in term of progression of nature. From natural/truthful to modern/rational and intermediate Obsolete ones.

Can you indicate differences in levels in suggested principles in above 4 main religions? Had they suggested principles depended on, basic, intermediate or gross level of nature's state at the time of their introduction?

Please maintain dignity of all religions since real religion should not be odd.

Best wishes.
First of all, what does Harold have to say about this?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 10:08 PM   #285
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Ist reached destination(100 km far) in two days felt bit tired but still enjoyed environment, maximum. Also feltal healthful.

2nd reached destination in 4 hours safely, somehow felt less stressed and also enjoyed environment, sufficiently.

3rd reached in 2 hours but felt most stress and doesn't enjoyed the environment.

IST reached in 2 days, felt maximum stress, impulsiveness, no enjoyment and couldn't reach destination in time.

2nd reached in 4 hours, some stress, some impulsiveness, no enjoyment, however could reach bit late.

All other three were unfortunate to met with an serious accident due to bad weather and so couldn't reach. Fate:

3rd. Car damaged mostly (non repairable) and he got very serious fatal injuries.

4th Car damaged reasonably(still repairable) and he also got some maintainable and heal-able injuries.

NOW you can make out the importance of prime/basic, intermediate & gross/latest levels from above made example. Level & environment can be important in getting the different outcomes and we may need to judge anything or any faith accordingly.

Ist being prime or truth level, 2nd intermediate or obsolete or irrational level, 3rd gross/current/irrational level and 4th being rational level.

Good luck.
Nope. It is incoherent.

However, nobody in any scenario reached for their homeopathy first aid kit. Why would that be?
Old 26th October 2017, 10:14 PM   #286
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Oh and we have a new oddity. 2nd 3rd and 4th are easy , but 1st must consistently become "IST". Just because. Maybe Kumar's "1" key is busted.

Topping that off we have a new acronym, "C&C". We are all supposed to know what that means so try to keep up.
Old 26th October 2017, 10:37 PM   #287
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Oh and we have a new oddity. 2nd 3rd and 4th are easy , but 1st must consistently become "IST". Just because. Maybe Kumar's "1" key is busted.

Topping that off we have a new acronym, "C&C". We are all supposed to know what that means so try to keep up.
You do not understand simple things. Cough & Cold.

MPOVs are there everywhere unless things are A&F.
Old 26th October 2017, 10:55 PM   #288
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The more one reads it, the more bizarre it gets. But in the vain hope that KMR can figure it out...

Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Surely you jest?

[quote=k_m_r;12051010]ON IST TRIP ON A SUNNY CLEAR DAY:[quote]Define "ist".

Originally Posted by K!M!R View Post
Ist reached destination(100 km far) in two days felt bit tired but still enjoyed environment, maximum.
Good old Ist, he is a character, ain't he?

Also feltal healthful.
What a coincidence. I was feeling a bit "feltal" myself this morning, but I got better.

WTF is "feltal"?

2nd reached destination in 4 hours safely,
Back to actual numbers, just because.

somehow felt less stressed and also enjoyed environment, sufficiently.
Somehow felt less stressed due to not reading this incoherent rambling. I mean "somehow"? If there were ever a Deus ex machina.

How do you know that? Maybe "3rd" didn't stop for a hot dog but kept going so that "3rd" could have time for a luxurious Hollywood shower before everyone else arrived.

Or perhaps "4th" got held up in roadworks and is now so stressed that he ripped his own hair out at the roots and is now the most stressed.

ON IInd TRIP IN EMERGENCY
Wheee. The number 2 got demoted.

STIUATION
WTF? I don't know what that is, but it sounds like an unpleasant medical procedure.

How do you know any of this? Have you discussed it with that bolke Ist?

For reasons unknown "3" gets the boot and why weather comes into the equation is anyone's guess.

IST trapped in bad weather
Is he really. How unfortunate

& got C&C, couldn't reach.
Yay. A new inexplicable acronym which cannot reach something.

All other three were unfortunate to met with an serious accident due to bad weather and so couldn't reach.
Were they? Well, since we are making this up as we go, I propose that 2nd (or IIND, what a pretty name) was FUBAR, 3rd (or IIIrd, ugly name)was FUBB, and 4th (IVth) was BARD FU. That should be clear, right?

Fate:
No such thing, but anyway...

Who? The car or tooth?

Who? The car or treeth?

Who? The car or forth?

NOW you can make out the importance of prime/basic, intermediate & gross/latest levels from above made example.
Nope. I can't make anything of it. It is incoherent.

Level & environment can be important in getting the different outcomes and we may need to judge anything or any faith accordingly.
Nonsense.

Yay. The return of "Ist" whoever he is and the numbers 2, 3 and 4. Welcome back, say I.

Good luck.
Luck has nothing to do with it. Basic literacy and numeracy very much does.

"NOW" does all of the preceding give you any inkling of how inexplicable your posts are? Do you wish to consult for a moment with that bloke "Ist"?
Old 26th October 2017, 11:01 PM   #289
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

MPOVs are there everywhere unless things are A&F.
See, In my country C&C stands for Cantrell and Cochrane, a purveyor of soft carbonated beverages. I knew you couldn't mean that, so I wondered what exactly you might mean.

Once again, you invented a random acronym and assumed everyone knew what you meant.

"Cough and Cold"? That only exists as a term in your head and nowhere else.
Old 26th October 2017, 11:06 PM   #290
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=abaddon;12051050]The more one reads it, the more bizarre it gets. But in the vain hope that KMR can figure it out...

Surely you jest?

[quote=k_m_r;12051010]ON IST TRIP ON A SUNNY CLEAR DAY:
Quote:
Define "ist".

Good old Ist, he is a character, ain't he?

What a coincidence. I was feeling a bit "feltal" myself this morning, but I got better.

WTF is "feltal"?

Back to actual numbers, just because.

Somehow felt less stressed due to not reading this incoherent rambling. I mean "somehow"? If there were ever a Deus ex machina.

How do you know that? Maybe "3rd" didn't stop for a hot dog but kept going so that "3rd" could have time for a luxurious Hollywood shower before everyone else arrived.

Or perhaps "4th" got held up in roadworks and is now so stressed that he ripped his own hair out at the roots and is now the most stressed.

Wheee. The number 2 got demoted.

WTF? I don't know what that is, but it sounds like an unpleasant medical procedure.

How do you know any of this? Have you discussed it with that bolke Ist?

For reasons unknown "3" gets the boot and why weather comes into the equation is anyone's guess.

Is he really. How unfortunate

Yay. A new inexplicable acronym which cannot reach something.

Were they? Well, since we are making this up as we go, I propose that 2nd (or IIND, what a pretty name) was FUBAR, 3rd (or IIIrd, ugly name)was FUBB, and 4th (IVth) was BARD FU. That should be clear, right?

No such thing, but anyway...

Who? The car or tooth?

Who? The car or treeth?

Who? The car or forth?

Nope. I can't make anything of it. It is incoherent.

Nonsense.

Yay. The return of "Ist" whoever he is and the numbers 2, 3 and 4. Welcome back, say I.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Basic literacy and numeracy very much does.

"NOW" does all of the preceding give you any inkling of how inexplicable your posts are? Do you wish to consult for a moment with that bloke "Ist"?
The above reply is just pulling the skin of hairs in odd acqisions. So unimportant.
Old 26th October 2017, 11:07 PM   #291
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

See, In my country C&C stands for Cantrell and Cochrane, a purveyor of soft carbonated beverages. I knew you couldn't mean that, so I wondered what exactly you might mean.

Once again, you invented a random acronym and assumed everyone knew what you meant.

Same as my last reply.
Old 26th October 2017, 11:30 PM   #292
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Kumar, there are no
Quote:
prime & secondary gods, godlike god incarnations, godlike god son, godlike prophets, godesses at such different levels, angels, devils, ghosts etc
But, it is very much apparent.

No, it isn't. What evidence do you have for their existence?

[Quotation replaced in fagin's post for clarity]

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 11:38 PM   #293
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Good luck.

It's just a bunch of made-up stories, designed to reinforce your prejudices.

Are you trying to found your own religion?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 11:54 PM   #294
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The more one reads it, the more bizarre it gets. But in the vain hope that KMR can figure it out...

Surely you jest?
The above reply is just pulling the skin of hairs in odd acqisions. So unimportant.
In lieu of any meaningful response, bork the quote tags and hope nobody notices the lack of any answer. Well done there, slick. Not to mention "pulling skin off hairs" and "odd acqisions"??? WTF does either of those mean?

Followed by...

Same as my last reply.
Which means "no new garbage, see my old garbage." That really does not help anything.
Old 27th October 2017, 12:37 AM   #295
Mojo
Mostly harmless

In lieu of any meaningful response, bork the quote tags and hope nobody notices the lack of any answer. Well done there, slick. Not to mention "pulling skin off hairs" and "odd acqisions"??? WTF does either of those mean?

I think the "pulling skin from hair" thing may be a local idiom. I'm pretty sure that I remember the MAS collective using it.

Old 27th October 2017, 12:41 AM   #296
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I think the "pulling skin from hair" thing may be a local idiom. I'm pretty sure that I remember the MAS collective using it.
It is quite old idiom here. I do not remember he was using it or not. Btw, if using, then what?
Old 27th October 2017, 12:49 AM   #297
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

It's just a bunch of made-up stories, designed to reinforce your prejudices.

Are you trying to found your own religion?
No, Choice and validity are two different aspects. A person try to deal with equanimity have no personal interests, choice or one sidedness. He just see validity. Take care it, while interacting with me. Tks.
Old 27th October 2017, 12:51 AM   #298
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

No, it isn't. What evidence do you have for their existence?

[Quotation replaced in fagin's post for clarity]
I think, you can very well note it in different faiths.
Old 27th October 2017, 12:54 AM   #299
Mojo
Mostly harmless

No, Choice and validity are two different aspects. A person try to deal with equanimity have no personal interests, choice or one sidedness. He just see validity. Take care it, while interacting with me. Tks.

Your stories are evidence of nothing beyond your muddled thinking and tortured English.

Old 27th October 2017, 12:56 AM   #300
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I think, you can very well note it in different faiths.

The fairy stories told by religions are not evidence that gods exist.

What evidence do you have that "prime & secondary gods, godlike god incarnations, godlike god son, godlike prophets, godesses at such different levels, angels, devils, ghosts etc." exist?

Old 27th October 2017, 01:03 AM   #301
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Your stories are evidence of nothing beyond your muddled thinking and tortured English.
S=E, much MT and TE.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 01:19 AM   #302
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

The fairy stories told by religions are not evidence that gods exist.

What evidence do you have that "prime & secondary gods, godlike god incarnations, godlike god son, godlike prophets, godesses at such different levels, angels, devils, ghosts etc." exist?
It is mass existing and well distributed since long back(so natural) with least side effects. Believers in majority(link in OP) believe it, non-believers in minority(as in OP) do not believe it. But majority is authority and might is right. So accept it as it is.
Old 27th October 2017, 01:44 AM   #303
fagin
Illuminator

Kumar, just because a lot of people are superstitious fools doesn't make them right.

But this may have been mentioned a hundred billion times before, so please feel free to ignore it again.
Old 27th October 2017, 02:10 AM   #304
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It is mass existing and well distributed since long back(so natural) with least side effects. Believers in majority(link in OP) believe it, non-believers in minority(as in OP) do not believe it. But majority is authority and might is right. So accept it as it is.

And here it is again:

Old 27th October 2017, 02:14 AM   #305
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It is mass existing and well distributed since long back(so natural)

False. Belief in something doesn't make that thing natural.

Quote:
...with least side effects.

Tell it to Giordano Bruno.

Quote:
Believers in majority(link in OP) believe it, non-believers in minority(as in OP) do not believe it. But majority is authority and might is right. So accept it as it is.

That's a remarkably fascist argument.

Old 27th October 2017, 03:25 AM   #306
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

False. Belief in something doesn't make that thing natural.
But natural can become a belief.

Quote:
Tell it to Giordano Bruno.

That's a remarkably fascist argument.
??

No but a Democratic argument.
Old 27th October 2017, 03:27 AM   #307
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Kumar, just because a lot of people are superstitious fools doesn't make them right.

But this may have been mentioned a hundred billion times before, so please feel free to ignore it again.
In democracy, majority is the authority. Don't you support democracy?
Old 27th October 2017, 03:28 AM   #308
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Science is not a democracy, nor will it ever be.
Old 27th October 2017, 03:41 AM   #309
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

If might is right and you are the only one espousing your views on this forum, then shouldnt you accept defeat, by your own rules?
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 03:47 AM   #310
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Science is not a democracy, nor will it ever be.
But it can be in R&P.
Moreover just remember this claim. I would also like to have views of other posters on it i.e. majority is not authority in science-- a principle of democracy.

Last edited by Kumar; 27th October 2017 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Add
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 03:58 AM   #311
fagin
Illuminator

What you are espousing is mob law. And the mob is insane.
Old 27th October 2017, 04:02 AM   #312
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

What you are espousing is mob law. And the mob is insane.
Reply to my last edited post.
Old 27th October 2017, 04:05 AM   #313
fagin
Illuminator

No I'll reply to any stupid post you make that I want to.
Old 27th October 2017, 04:17 AM   #314
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Sure... Science is not democratic. However, if something is proven to a sufficient degree, scientists will all accept it eventually.

So you can look at the scientific consensus to get a general idea of the current state of science, but for science to be democratic, it would have to work the other way around, and consensus would determine the state of science. And it doesn't.

An analogy: You can look at a picture of a house to see what it looks like, but you can't remodel the house by editing the photograph.

Last edited by Porpoise of Life; 27th October 2017 at 04:27 AM.
Old 27th October 2017, 04:32 AM   #315
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Voilance and non voilence, war and love/peace, naturality and civility/society, truth and rationals, basic and gross, creation and destruction, live & let live, might is right etc can be two opposing natural mechanisms on which any or all theory or faith can be based. If all can understand this basis with equanimity, there may not remain a logic to contradict or fight. Many faith should had introduced something with different sense but taken otherwise due to less understanding or deviated interests. We need to understand real logic behind any suggestion by any faith which may convince us. Eg, if any faith suggest cut hands of a thief, it can also mean to devoid him from all social working and earning without actually cutting the hands. It is also indirectly practiced otherwise, say by banning a culprit in village/city or by sending him to jail. I may try to make a true sense behind any anticipated absense or non sense, logically, if practical. No faith may be bad or
odd in its real sense. We need to understand its status in natural and social sense differently.
I still feel that, nature, beliefs and society are hard wired, in sense that, both later get from nature.

I feel, I and you already presented good views on topic subject so can discontinue. Any need to discuss further?
Thanks all.

Last edited by Kumar; 27th October 2017 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Add
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 04:37 AM   #316
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

We've never discussed anything. We spent 8 pages trying to get you to make a point.
Old 27th October 2017, 04:43 AM   #317
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
We've never discussed anything. We spent 8 pages trying to get you to make a point.
It was very much discussed and indicated but if you can not evaluate it, is an odd issue.
Old 27th October 2017, 04:52 AM   #318
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Do you realize how patronizing that is?
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 04:56 AM   #319
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Do you realize how patronizing that is?
No. We can be bit caaual here. Frankly, that was for some good. I
Old 27th October 2017, 05:01 AM   #320
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

No. We can be bit caaual here. Frankly, that was for some good. I
And you wonder why we can't understand most of your posts?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy