ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th October 2017, 05:02 AM   #321
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
No. We can be bit caaual here. Frankly, that was for some good. I
That also is patronizing. Many posts on many threads and still your ability to engage in constructive discourse is practically nonexistent.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 05:28 AM   #322
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

I'd volunteer to translate his posts for the other members here, making charitable assumptions about what he probably means.

But even someone who wants to avoid his real work doesn't have that much time.

( Sung to the tune of the old Time jingle: "Time flies, and you are there!" )
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 08:37 PM   #323
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
That also is patronizing. Many posts on many threads and still your ability to engage in constructive discourse is practically nonexistent.
NO. NO. Just rhetoric discussions.
Old 27th October 2017, 08:40 PM   #324
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
And you wonder why we can't understand most of your posts?
I understand it very well. It is not just a language issue but preception, rhetoric and dynamic angles are also responsible.
Old 27th October 2017, 08:46 PM   #325
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

I think, this post which I previously posted elsewhere in this forum, also needed here"

" Even true, MPOVs can be there in anything which is not yet A&F. E.g. To a Alphonso mango tree, you are still right to call it a green tree, a big tree, a shady tree, a fruit tree, a mango tree, with mistaken vision or in dim light--a small mountain, a ghost, in selfish interest--an Asoka tree etc. Unless you say it an alphanso tree, nothing can be clear in A&F. You can not draw its figure unless Alphonso tree is told. This way, MPOvs or non-absolutism, partial truth, conditional prediction and selfishness work. "Half (non A&F)truth is often a great lie".
Old 27th October 2017, 08:51 PM   #326
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

To all,

I now feel, it also need to be discussed to conclude this thread:

What is the nature of nature(esp of basic nature)? Is it just harsh, cruel, destructing or odd to its inhabitant beings?

Actually, it was indicated elsewhere, I want to check it here also.
Old 27th October 2017, 10:41 PM   #327
Mojo
Mostly harmless

To all,

I now feel, it also need to be discussed to conclude this thread:

What is the nature of nature(esp of basic nature)? Is it just harsh, cruel, destructing or odd to its inhabitant beings?

It just is.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 10:53 PM   #328
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

To What is the nature of nature(esp of basic nature)? Is it just harsh, cruel, destructing or odd to its inhabitant beings?
Only conscious entities can be any of those things.

Nature is not a conscious entity.
Old 28th October 2017, 12:17 AM   #329
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post

Kumar has inadvertently pinpointed the actual basis of religion: anthropomorphism of natural phenomena.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 12:23 AM   #330
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It just is.
I feel it is one sided approach but still:

If anyone or any entity follow nature's rules and if he just harsh, cruel, destructing(violent) or odd, that shall still be natural and valid in nature's sense.?
Old 28th October 2017, 12:25 AM   #331
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

All conscious and unconscious entities or things are part of nature.
Old 28th October 2017, 12:30 AM   #332
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

All conscious and unconscious entities or things are part of nature.
Indeed, but until conscious entities like ourselves evolved there was no part of nature to which adjectives like 'cruel' could be applied.
Old 28th October 2017, 12:43 AM   #333
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, but until conscious entities like ourselves evolved there was no part of nature to which adjectives like 'cruel' could be applied.
Please tell me more about it. Does it mean conscious entities like ourselves had only introduced cruelty?
Old 28th October 2017, 12:46 AM   #334
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Please tell me more about it. Does it mean conscious entities like ourselves had only introduced cruelty?
Only conscious entities can be cruel. So until conscious entities evolved, the concept of cruelty did not exist.

Note that the same is true for the concepts of love and compassion.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:03 AM   #335
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Only conscious entities can be cruel. So until conscious entities evolved, the concept of cruelty did not exist.

Note that the same is true for the concepts of love and compassion.
What was there in nature prior to evolution of conscious entities?
Old 28th October 2017, 01:07 AM   #336
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

What was there in nature prior to evolution of conscious entities?
Unconscious entities.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:12 AM   #337
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Unconscious entities.
Can you name few Unconscious beings?
Old 28th October 2017, 01:13 AM   #338
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Can you name few Unconscious beings?
Stars. Planets. Fish. Plants. Storms. Volcanos.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:15 AM   #339
fagin
Illuminator

Most people lying in the gutter outside a pub on a Friday night.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:17 AM   #340
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Stars. Planets. Fish. Plants. Storms. Volcanos.
Then, was Live & let live concept prevailing?
Old 28th October 2017, 01:19 AM   #341
fagin
Illuminator

Kumar, nothing without self awareness (most humans basically, some are a bit thick) and language can have any concept of cruelty. Or any other emotion. Animals might be appear cruel or kind, or lazy, but they don't have the ability to label themselves.
They just do what animals do. A slug doesn't understand it's eating the lettuce you carefully planted and tendered. They just eat.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:20 AM   #342
fagin
Illuminator

Unconscious and inanimate objects don't do concepts. Why can't you understand that?
Old 28th October 2017, 01:26 AM   #343
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Unconscious and inanimate objects don't do concepts. Why can't you understand that?
Ok but why it can't also happen naturally?
Old 28th October 2017, 01:28 AM   #344
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Kumar, nothing without self awareness (most humans basically, some are a bit thick) and language can have any concept of cruelty. Or any other emotion. Animals might be appear cruel or kind, or lazy, but they don't have the ability to label themselves.
They just do what animals do. A slug doesn't understand it's eating the lettuce you carefully planted and tendered. They just eat.
It is natural entitlement to different species. How humans independent of nature are involved in it?
Old 28th October 2017, 01:54 AM   #345
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

No concepts were prevailing. There was no concept of concepts.
Old 28th October 2017, 02:00 AM   #346
fagin
Illuminator

It is natural entitlement to different species. How humans independent of nature are involved in it?
Humans are not independent of nature. We have evolved self awareness, and are able to think conceptually, some of us anyway.

Or to put it another way, big brain.
Old 28th October 2017, 02:01 AM   #347
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

No concepts were prevailing. There was no concept of concepts.
I think, live & let live concept prevail in plants.

You told cruelty is an attribute of conscious entities and fish is an Unconscious being. But still bigger fish eat smaller fishes. ?
Old 28th October 2017, 02:07 AM   #348
fagin
Illuminator

You would be wrong, and fish aren't cruel. They eat to stay alive.

This is getting boring. Do try harder Kumar. I'm sure you are brighter than a fish.
Old 28th October 2017, 02:08 AM   #349
fagin
Illuminator

Google Venus Fly Trap.
Old 28th October 2017, 02:16 AM   #350
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I think, live & let live concept prevail in plants.
You think wrongly.

Quote:
You told cruelty is an attribute of conscious entities and fish is an Unconscious being. But still bigger fish eat smaller fishes. ?
We might consider that cruel, because we understand the concept of cruelty. Fish do not, because they don't.
Old 28th October 2017, 02:38 AM   #351
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Humans are not independent of nature. Humans, and everything they do, are part of nature.

Old 28th October 2017, 03:05 AM   #352
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

You think wrongly.

We might consider that cruel, because we understand the concept of cruelty. Fish do not, because they don't.
Then what prevail in plants?

If we shall take it like it, cruelty will have no validity. Live & let live also suggest let live subject to live. For live, bigger fish can eat smaller fish and so the other species--conscious or non-conscious.
Old 28th October 2017, 03:06 AM   #353
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Humans are not independent of nature. Humans, and everything they do, are part of nature.
Yes true.
Old 28th October 2017, 03:09 AM   #354
Donn
Philosopher

Smaller parts of plants.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 03:12 AM   #355
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Smaller parts of plants.
Right. Bigger part of plants maintain its smaller parts. So live & let live justified.
Old 28th October 2017, 03:16 AM   #356
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Natural selection.

Quote:
If we shall take it like it, cruelty will have no validity. Live & let live also suggest let live subject to live. For live, bigger fish can eat smaller fish and so the other species--conscious or non-conscious.
I can't make any sense of this.
Old 28th October 2017, 03:17 AM   #357
Donn
Philosopher

Right. Bigger part of plants maintain its smaller parts. So live & let live justified.
Bigger is bigger.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 03:20 AM   #358
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Natural selection.

I can't make any sense of this.
It is there in every being not only in plants. However, I feel natural selection and survival of fittest, may have some different triggers.
Old 28th October 2017, 03:27 AM   #359
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

It is there in every being not only in plants. However, I feel natural selection and survival of fittest, may have some different triggers.
The only trigger for natural selection is whether the changes that naturally occur increase or decrease the organism's chances of surviving long enough to reproduce in the current environment.
Old 28th October 2017, 03:45 AM   #360
Donn
Philosopher

Big worms chomp ripe ovaries yum. No plant baby bum!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy