ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 31st October 2017, 08:18 PM   #1
Toontown
Philosopher

Atheist Bible Class

Pay attention. The teacher talks fast and covers a lot of ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zeh2q9gke0
Old 31st October 2017, 09:14 PM   #2
GDon
Muse

"Based on a true story"? The opening card doesn't say that at all. Not a good start.

The rest of the narration is okay. I'd love to hear Samuel L Jackson's recap of the Bible, like he did for Game of Thrones!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsAU9qBRjNY
GDon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:06 PM   #3
Thor 2
Master Poster

Yes, a fun thing to watch illustrating the stupidity of God's actions, as described in the Bible. Interesting that looking in from the outside this stupidity is so obvious, but to those in the bubble not so.
Old 1st November 2017, 03:19 PM   #4
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

35 minute long youtubey? No thanks

Seems to be a whole cottage industry of youtubey atheist videos preaching to the choir lately tho.
Old 1st November 2017, 03:38 PM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
.......Seems to be a whole cottage industry of youtubey atheist videos preaching to the choir lately tho.
Come on you atheists. Shut up. Back in your box. Don't go getting all uppity now. It's our role to spread the message, your role to sit quietly in the corner.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:43 PM   #6
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Come on you atheists. Shut up. Back in your box. Don't go getting all uppity now. It's our role to spread the message, your role to sit quietly in the corner.
In the old days, someone posting a 35 minute long youtube with zero comment would be something that skeptics would make note of. Especially when it is the "redneck" atheist.

Oh well, enjoy it.
Old 1st November 2017, 04:02 PM   #7
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You don't think I'd sit and watch a 35 minute youtube video on religion or non-religion, do you? You could have just made your perfectly valid point about a long YT clip and lack of comment in the OP. But instead you chose another little snipe. Therefore, you shouldn't be surprised to have received a comment in return.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 04:28 PM   #8
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe we are supposed to play, ten reasons you might be a red neck atheist?

If when you are approaching the burning pit of hell and you think "someone's got a hell of a bbq goin on!" You might possibly be a red neck atheist.
Old 1st November 2017, 08:47 PM   #9
Toontown
Philosopher

Maybe we are supposed to play, ten reasons you might be a red neck atheist?

If when you are approaching the burning pit of hell and you think "someone's got a hell of a bbq goin on!" You might possibly be a red neck atheist.
No, we're playing "Who's having spasms of cognitive dissonance?"

Or, maybe there is just a video there, to be watched or not watched, and I don't really give a rat's ass what you do, or how much you object to the fact that it was posted.

Last edited by Toontown; 1st November 2017 at 08:49 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 08:56 PM   #10
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
No, we're playing "Who's having spasms of cognitive dissonance?"

Or, maybe there is just a video there, to be watched or not watched, and I don't really give a rat's ass what you do, or how much you object to the fact that it was posted.
I assume it is the redneck atheist from the 35 minute long you tube video that you posted with no indication why anyone who is not a big big fan of Jeff Foxworthy should watch more than 30 seconds?
Old 1st November 2017, 09:36 PM   #11
Toontown
Philosopher

I assume it is the redneck atheist from the 35 minute long you tube video that you posted with no indication why anyone who is not a big big fan of Jeff Foxworthy should watch more than 30 seconds?
Naw, man, it's that invisible video up there. Yeah, the one you don't see.

Oh, I get it. You're all tore up over why I posted it. Well, watch it and you'll find out why I posted it. That's the whole point of posting the vid, see. The video IS the reason I posted it.

When I post a video, I don't have some ulterior motive for posting it.

Last edited by Toontown; 1st November 2017 at 09:41 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 09:57 PM   #12
Toontown
Philosopher

This is an atheist bible class, biatches. There is no whining about how long the lecture is in atheist bible class. Sit through the lecture or get the hell out. Flip a coin if you're having trouble deciding on your course of action. No one gives a rat's ass which option you choose.
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:48 AM   #13
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You don't think I'd sit and watch a 35 minute youtube video on religion or non-religion, do you? You could have just made your perfectly valid point about a long YT clip and lack of comment in the OP. But instead you chose another little snipe. Therefore, you shouldn't be surprised to have received a comment in return.
Well when snipe is all you've got.....

.....and there's your sign!

Last edited by smartcooky; 2nd November 2017 at 02:51 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:15 AM   #14
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Naw, man, it's that invisible video up there. Yeah, the one you don't see.

Oh, I get it. You're all tore up over why I posted it. Well, watch it and you'll find out why I posted it. That's the whole point of posting the vid, see. The video IS the reason I posted it.

When I post a video, I don't have some ulterior motive for posting it.
That is not usually the way it works around here. Typically people use their "words" to explain why people should devote to watching a 35 minute long rant in some handbag's vlog.

what makes redneck atheist's rants a can't miss?

Seeing nothing and having seen the introduction, the answer is clearly nothing
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:50 AM   #15
Toontown
Philosopher

That is not usually the way it works around here. Typically people use their "words" to explain why people should devote to watching a 35 minute long rant in some handbag's vlog.

what makes redneck atheist's rants a can't miss?

Seeing nothing and having seen the introduction, the answer is clearly nothing
You have confirmed your place in the ranks of "those who will not see".

So, what do you want? A medal?

Door's thataway --->
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:59 AM   #16
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I got about a minute in. Incredibly annoying and content-free.
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:25 AM   #17
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yeah, just like the bible. Which is the subject.
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:29 AM   #18
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose it might be of use to somebody who was unaware of the level of crazy in the bible.
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:36 AM   #19
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You have confirmed your place in the ranks of "those who will not see".

So, what do you want? A medal?

Door's thataway --->
Oh dear... you really have nothing at all to recommend this redneck atheist charater's rant? Perhaps then this thread should be transferred to "humor"?
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:03 AM   #20
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, just like the bible. Which is the subject.
I suppose the begats are quite annoying, but the rest of it is full of lots of fun weird content. God-sanctioned murders, genocides, rapes, turning people into pillars of salt, cursing fig trees, having children mauled by bears for saying someone is bald, refusing sacrifices from men with damaged testicles, God getting into a fist-fight...

There's plenty of good stuff in the Bible.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:09 AM   #21
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I suppose it might be of use to somebody who was unaware of the level of crazy in the bible.
Christians? They won't watch it.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:14 AM   #22
Toontown
Philosopher

I suppose the begats are quite annoying, but the rest of it is full of lots of fun weird content. God-sanctioned murders, genocides, rapes, turning people into pillars of salt, cursing fig trees, having children mauled by bears for saying someone is bald, refusing sacrifices from men with damaged testicles, God getting into a fist-fight...

There's plenty of good stuff in the Bible.
Yeah. The redneck video is full of all that stuff. With the redneck narrative overdubbed over actual scenes of all that stuff. But not the first minute.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:22 AM   #23
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

My favorite part was where he said ************!

Typical worthless anti-theist nonsense rant.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:27 AM   #24
3point14
Pi

Oh, I like an anti-theist rant.

I like any rant against unsubstantiated, mystical, superstitious ********, such ******** being only really suitable for the indoctrinated and for credulous fools.

I might even watch it.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:31 AM   #25
Toontown
Philosopher

Oh dear... you really have nothing at all to recommend this redneck atheist charater's rant? Perhaps then this thread should be transferred to "humor"?
Are you trying to say I should have said something like

"Come to Atheist Bible Class and be entertained by actual scenes of actual fake biblical events, narrated by an actual redneck atheist!!!"

Mmmm...neh. I'll just let people keep bitching and moaning about how it's too long and how the first minute ain't got no "content", plus they already knew all that.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:32 AM   #26
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Oh, I like an anti-theist rant.

I like any rant against unsubstantiated, mystical, superstitious ********, such ******** being only really suitable for the indoctrinated and for credulous fools.

I might even watch it.
Oh golly, you'll probably enjoy it with the exaggerated hillbilly drawl, the Tourettes level swearing, the spittle soaking the screen.

If you love this type of humor:

You might be a redneck antitheist if... someone asks to see your I.D. and you show them your belt buckle. ...

I highly recommend it.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 2nd November 2017 at 08:37 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. The redneck video is full of all that stuff. With the redneck narrative overdubbed over actual scenes of all that stuff. But not the first minute.
Yes, I imagined that it would be. That doesn't make the "redneck narrative" un-annoying, and repeating other people's content isn't the same as having content itself.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:36 AM   #28
3point14
Pi

Oh golly, you'll probably enjoy it with the exaggerated hillbilly drawl, the Tourettes level swearing, the spittle soaking the screen.

My work here is done.

Incidentally, there are certain episodes of Scrubs that you've completely ruined for me.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:52 AM   #29
Toontown
Philosopher

Really?

I liked the part where the redneck warns people about what happens to people God "chooses" to be special pawns in His crazy brutal games. Especially when they fall short of His requirements, which He already knew they would, because He is "all-knowing". So He was just *********** with them all along.

And the part where the redneck says "That Bastard will **** you up." Illustrated examples provided. The ones where Jesus gets ********** up are particularly graphic.

And if you're a baby, you better hope nobody else in the region pisses the Bastard off, because He's gonna take it out on you. He will be particularly interested in using your brutal death to punish your parents. Then He might replace you with another baby "because **** that first baby!"

Last edited by Toontown; 2nd November 2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:56 AM   #30
Toontown
Philosopher

Yes, I imagined that it would be. That doesn't make the "redneck narrative" un-annoying, and repeating other people's content isn't the same as having content itself.
Except that you couldn't possibly know whether the redneck provided any additional "content", since you didn't watch it.

Last edited by Toontown; 2nd November 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:29 AM   #31
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Really?

I liked the part where the redneck warns people about what happens to people God "chooses" to be special pawns in His crazy brutal games. Especially when they fall short of His expectations, which He already knew they would, because He is "all-knowing". So He was just *********** with them all along.

And the part where the redneck says "That Bastard will **** you up." Illustrated examples provided. The ones where Jesus gets ********** up are particularly graphic.

And if you're a baby, you better hope nobody else in the region pisses the Bastard off, because He's gonna take it out on you. He will be particularly interested in using your brutal death to punish your parents. Then He might replace you with another baby "because **** that first baby!"
Well that certainly seems like a thoughtful take... lololol
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:45 AM   #32
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Except that you couldn't possibly know whether the redneck provided any additional "content", since you didn't watch it.
I saw enough to see that he didn't provide any sort of commentary on the story of Adam & Eve. Perhaps he changes tack in the middle of the video, but I see no reason to suppose that that is the case. Especially as your own descriptions of what the video contains suggest no such thing.
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:37 AM   #33
Toontown
Philosopher

Well that certainly seems like a thoughtful take... lololol
I think the primary point of the redneck lecture is to point out the absence of any possible "thoughtful take" on the utter hogwash of the bible, leaving crass humor as the only "thoughtful" option for addressing the bible.

What is the "thoughtful" take on baby massacre? I'll give it a shot:

It only hurts for a sec, then the babies are in Heaven! Because babies are in the sin grace period, so babies are perfect scapegoats for God's wrath.

But how, then, did killing babies make parents sad and wish they had never crossed God? The parents, being True Believers, should have been like, "Yay! Our baby is in Paradise! God is GREAT!" But maybe they didn't actually think it through. Yeah, that's it.

Hopefully that loophole won't become common knowledge, or every Tom, Dick, and Harry psychopath will be out killing babies just to send them to heaven before they have time to become unrepentant sinners.

Oh, what tangled webs we weave, when first we practice to deceive ourselves...
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:43 AM   #34
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I think the primary point of the redneck lecture is to point out the absence of any possible "thoughtful take" on the utter hogwash of the bible, leaving crass humor as the only "thoughtful" option for addressing the bible.

What is the "thoughtful" take on baby massacre? I'll give it a shot:

It only hurts for a sec, then the babies are in Heaven! Because babies are in the sin grace period, so babies are perfect scapegoats for God's wrath.

But how, then, did killing babies make parents sad and wish they had never crossed God? The parents, being True Believers, should have been like, "Yay! Our baby is in Paradise! God is GREAT!" But maybe they didn't actually think it through. Yeah, that's it.

Hopefully that loophole won't become common knowledge, or every Tom, Dick, and Harry psychopath will be out killing babies just to send them to heaven before they have time to become unrepentant sinners.

Oh, what tangled webs we weave, when first we practice to deceive ourselves...
Now read that in Foghorn Leghorn's voice for 35 minutes straight, and we have basically summed up the Redneck Antitheist's rants.

Oh wait, maybe it would be better in Yosemite Sam's voice!
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:53 AM   #35
Toontown
Philosopher

I saw enough to see that he didn't provide any sort of commentary on the story of Adam & Eve. Perhaps he changes tack in the middle of the video, but I see no reason to suppose that that is the case. Especially as your own descriptions of what the video contains suggest no such thing.
I get it. You are another seeker after "thoughtful commentary" on the utter hogwash of the bible. And you expected it to start right away. And you have your doubts that any attempt was made to put forth any thoughtful commentary on the hogwash. And you don't like rednecks.

Well, maybe this isn't the atheist bible class for you. But I'm sure there is some thoughtful commentary on utter hogwash around here somewhere.

Last edited by Toontown; 2nd November 2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:04 AM   #36
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Then he's advocating for ignorance rather than education, which should be the antithesis of rational thought.

I'd say that there's all kinds of things that such stories could tell us about the culture in which they were written; about how the people they were intended for would understand them; about how the people of today understand and relate to them and, indeed, if they do; about the role of myth in society; about the authorship and revision over time of such stories; about what meaning is intended to be conveyed and why with those particular stories told in that particular way; and much more.

You mention a story of baby massacre (which one in particular?). The first place I'd start with that story is in examining the Bible's roots in polytheism and Yahwism and how this ties in to Yahweh being the god of war. I'd then like to look at who authored the story and when and see what can be said about revisions it underwent over time. I'd also look at the various cultures the story was authored and revised in and try to understand what the story is trying to say and why it's saying it the way it is.

That would be where I'd start, were I to actually try and give a thoughtful take on the story. It's not as easy as just saying "lol", but it's certainly far from impossible.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:06 AM   #37
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Now read that in Foghorn Leghorn's voice for 35 minutes straight, and we have basically summed up the Redneck Antitheist's rants.

Oh wait, maybe it would be better in Yosemite Sam's voice!
How shallow. You are claiming that the guy's points are invalid because you simply don't like his accent. I guess that is the christian way, right? Do unto others and all that.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:06 AM   #38
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I get it. You are another seeker after "thoughtful commentary" on the utter hogwash of the bible. And you expected it to start right away. And you have your doubts that any attempt was made to put forth any thoughtful commentary on the hogwash. And you don't like rednecks.

Well, maybe this isn't the atheist bible class for you. But I'm sure there is some thoughtful commentary on utter hogwash around here somewhere.
If this collection of straw men is what you believe to be a reasoned response, then it's no wonder you don't believe thoughtful commentary on the Bible is possible.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:17 AM   #39
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I get it... Some of you guys like the Bible and some if you don't. But this bickering about a YouTube video isn't doing either side a big favor.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:20 AM   #40
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
How shallow. You are claiming that the guy's points are invalid because you simply don't like his accent. I guess that is the christian way, right? Do unto others and all that.
Yes, I do not not think that the way the character The Redneck Atheist including his accent, and his non-stop swearing, and his ranting presents a particularly compelling point.

He remi... – I say, he reminds me of Paul Revere’s ride, a little light in the belfry

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy