ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 2nd November 2017, 11:21 AM   #41
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Well. break that down.
Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
I get it.
I am unsure that you do.

You are another seeker after "thoughtful commentary" on the utter hogwash of the bible.
Well, no. I will agree that the bible is "utter hogwash" so bad that it can't even agree with itself. That is obvious. However, "thoughtful commentary" is not being sought at all. By any bible thumper.

And you expected it to start right away.
No. the goal is to not have it start at all. To shut down all criticism and have no genuine exchange at al. All of the committed faithful do this.

And you have your doubts that any attempt was made to put forth any thoughtful commentary on the hogwash.
No. The committed faithful seek to stop any challenge to their holey babble, period.

And you don't like rednecks.
Shines through, does it not? "I don't like your accent, therefore everything you say is wrong."

Well, maybe this isn't the atheist bible class for you.
Ya think?
But I'm sure there is some thoughtful commentary on utter hogwash around here somewhere.
There is. Not here on this site, though.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:37 AM   #42
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I get it... Some of you guys like the Bible and some if you don't. But this bickering about a YouTube video isn't doing either side a big favor.
Actually there is a well established history on this forum pointing out that "argument by youtubey" is fallacious and a waste of everyone's time. Indeed one often sees such conduct called out in the conspiracy section, general skepticism and in particular the 9/11 Conspiracy Section.

One expects that if one is going to post a lengthy video that one should explain what the video shows, why it is worthwhile and add one's own thoughts about it.

Simply dropping a youtube, particularly one as insipid as this one, is typically and well deservedly frowned upon.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:44 AM   #43
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Actually there is a well established history on this forum pointing out that "argument by youtubey" is fallacious and a waste of everyone's time. Indeed one often sees such conduct called out in the conspiracy section, general skepticism and in particular the 9/11 Conspiracy Section.
True. If one were to watch every unidentified video posted, one would have time for little else. Someone posted a 5 hour epic video on here in some other thread on some topic without any comment beyond "Watch this video". I have no idea what was in there.

One expects that if one is going to post a lengthy video that one should explain what the video shows, why it is worthwhile and add one's own thoughts about it.
Also true. "Why exactly should I be watching this?" is a valid question in such a case.

Simply dropping a youtube, particularly one as insipid as this one, is typically and well deservedly frowned upon.
How do you know that. You haven't watched it, right?
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:45 AM   #44
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Then he's advocating for ignorance rather than education, which should be the antithesis of rational thought.

I'd say that there's all kinds of things that such stories could tell us about the culture in which they were written; about how the people they were intended for would understand them; about how the people of today understand and relate to them and, indeed, if they do; about the role of myth in society; about the authorship and revision over time of such stories; about what meaning is intended to be conveyed and why with those particular stories told in that particular way; and much more.

You mention a story of baby massacre (which one in particular?). The first place I'd start with that story is in examining the Bible's roots in polytheism and Yahwism and how this ties in to Yahweh being the god of war. I'd then like to look at who authored the story and when and see what can be said about revisions it underwent over time. I'd also look at the various cultures the story was authored and revised in and try to understand what the story is trying to say and why it's saying it the way it is.

That would be where I'd start, were I to actually try and give a thoughtful take on the story. It's not as easy as just saying "lol", but it's certainly far from impossible.

You actually want to do and discuss all that?

Why don't you just flagellate yourself? It's quicker, and won't involve me.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:52 AM   #45
Toontown
Philosopher

Do I also need to file something with the FCC?
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:54 AM   #46
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Well. break that down.
You do understand that that post was in reply to me and not The Big Dog, don't you? And that I'm an atheist.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:55 AM   #47
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

You actually want to do and discuss all that?

Why don't you just flagellate yourself? It's quicker, and won't involve me.
I know it's easier to argue if you write both sides of the argument yourself, but it would be much better if you addressed the things I have said, rather than making **** up and pretending I said it.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:00 PM   #48
Toontown
Philosopher

I know it's easier to argue if you write both sides of the argument yourself, but it would be much better if you addressed the things I have said, rather than making **** up and pretending I said it.

You don't want to discuss all that?

If not, we've reached a point of agreement. I don't either. If I did, I'd have posted something else.

Last edited by Toontown; 2nd November 2017 at 12:02 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:02 PM   #49
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

You don't want to discuss all that?

If not, we've reached a point of agreement. I don't either. If I did, I'd have posted something else.
Again, please address what I've said, rather than inventing things you'd prefer me to have said.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:06 PM   #50
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

True. If one were to watch every unidentified video posted, one would have time for little else. Someone posted a 5 hour epic video on here in some other thread on some topic without any comment beyond "Watch this video". I have no idea what was in there.

Also true. "Why exactly should I be watching this?" is a valid question in such a case. In this case, it turns out to be a reasonably accurate paraphrasis of what the bible actually says, given the inaccuracy inherent in all paraphrasis.

Take John 1:1-5
Quote:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
That's gibberish that could be made to mean any darn thing.

I will go with Animal Mother's view..
Quote:
This isn't about freedom; this is a slaughter. If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is "poontang".
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:09 PM   #51
Toontown
Philosopher

Again, please address what I've said, rather than inventing things you'd prefer me to have said.

I quoted what you said, and then asked you incredulously if you really wanted to get into all that.

Then I indicated I'm not interested in talking about what you were going on about. If I was, I'd have posted something else, rather than the redneck video.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:10 PM   #52
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

You do understand that that post was in reply to me and not The Big Dog, don't you? And that I'm an atheist.
Surew. Have you some sort of exclusivity arrangement?

Seriously, though, Toontown seems to be getting a bit bent out of shape by unresponsive responses, a foolish errand as I have found. Those are simply bait.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:11 PM   #53
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Am I having deja vu??

Yes, I watched several minutes, until my quotient of "mf'ers" for the day had been quite filled up. The guy is a moron.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:21 PM   #54
Toontown
Philosopher

Am I having deja vu??

Yes, I watched several minutes, until my quotient of "mf'ers" for the day had been quite filled up. The guy is a moron.
Somewhat. And yet not enough of a moron to drink the koolaid.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:21 PM   #55
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Am I having deja vu??

So you didn't watch it all. OK glad that is established.

For some reason that you are unable to explain, expletives are deeply offending to you. Sure, why not. Who cares. The fact that for some reason you get twitchy about such things is irrelevant to the truth or lack thereof of the statements made. Some people pepper their speech with such things. It does not bother me, because I hear what they are actually saying. The expletives do not matter. It would appear that you, for reasons unexplained, only hear the expletives, and thus pass judgment in contravention of jesus's explicit instructions in the bible. Judge not, lest you yourself be judged and all of that malarkey.

Somehow, all of the Abrahamic religions espouse that hypocrisy bar one of them. Guess which one that is.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:29 PM   #56
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

So you didn't watch it all. OK glad that is established.

For some reason that you are unable to explain, expletives are deeply offending to you. Sure, why not. Who cares. The fact that for some reason you get twitchy about such things is irrelevant to the truth or lack thereof of the statements made. Some people pepper their speech with such things. It does not bother me, because I hear what they are actually saying. The expletives do not matter. It would appear that you, for reasons unexplained, only hear the expletives, and thus pass judgment in contravention of jesus's explicit instructions in the bible. Judge not, lest you yourself be judged and all of that malarkey.

Somehow, all of the Abrahamic religions espouse that hypocrisy bar one of them. Guess which one that is.
I did not say they were deeply offending, I am saying, however, that a spittle soaked anti-theism rant sprinkled liberally with expletives is a gross waste of time.

But I get it, of course, people tend to look with favor on things that appeal to their prejudices, even if applying an objective standard it is absolutely clear that the youtube is a white hot dumpster fire.

I'm the REDNECK ATHEIST! YEE HAW!

LOLZ
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:51 PM   #57
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Pay attention. The teacher talks fast and covers a lot of ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zeh2q9gke0
Ehr ... synopsis? Why should I watch?

Hans
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:55 PM   #58
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

This is an atheist bible class, biatches. There is no whining about how long the lecture is in atheist bible class. Sit through the lecture or get the hell out. Flip a coin if you're having trouble deciding on your course of action. No one gives a rat's ass which option you choose.
Aw, cool. Well, have read the bible. Need no class. Thanx anyway.

Hans
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:57 PM   #59
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Oh golly, you'll probably enjoy it with the exaggerated hillbilly drawl, the Tourettes level swearing, the spittle soaking the screen.

If you love this type of humor:

You might be a redneck antitheist if... someone asks to see your I.D. and you show them your belt buckle. ...

I highly recommend it.
Mmm.. seems it hit a nerve, after all.

Hans
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:04 PM   #60
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Ehr ... synopsis? Why should I watch?

Hans
Easy. REdneck summarise what the bible actually claims in paraphrasis for the dull trailer dwellers, makes some errors, but is largely accurate. Nothing new as such, just pointing out the utter bollocks of the holey babble in redneck speak. With a lot of profanity.

I very much doubt that you need such things pointed out, but TBD is, for some reason, only focusing on the profanity and not the actual content.

Some speak in that mode. OK, I ignore that and focus on the actual content. The guy's summary of the bible is pretty accurate if paraphrased.
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:06 PM   #61
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I did not say they were deeply offending, I am saying, however, that a spittle soaked anti-theism rant sprinkled liberally with expletives is a gross waste of time.

But I get it, of course, people tend to look with favor on things that appeal to their prejudices, even if applying an objective standard it is absolutely clear that the youtube is a white hot dumpster fire.

I'm the REDNECK ATHEIST! YEE HAW!

LOLZ
Do you feel the same about the REDNECK THEISTS or not?
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:21 PM   #62
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Do you feel the same about the REDNECK THEISTS or not?
I tell you what, if I ever post a new thread containing a link to a 35 minute long you tube rant by one of the thousands of redneck theists with no explanation at all I expect that you... nay I DEMAND that you light my ass up like a Christmas tree for wasting everyone's time.
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:29 PM   #63
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I quoted what you said, and then asked you incredulously if you really wanted to get into all that.
Indeed you did. Which demonstrated that you haven't been paying attention to what I've actually said. Hence me asking you to reply to what I said.
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:30 PM   #64
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Surew. Have you some sort of exclusivity arrangement?
What are you talking about?
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:41 PM   #65
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I tell you what, if I ever post a new thread containing a link to a 35 minute long you tube rant by one of the thousands of redneck theists with no explanation at all I expect that you... nay I DEMAND that you light my ass up like a Christmas tree for wasting everyone's time.
Well if you think that content free posts are somehow useful, good luck to you. But they are not. Nobody, not here and not on the internet at large thinks much of such evasion. Are you a christian? And likely RCC? Who knows? Either way, you could be an atheist with a weird grudge for all I know.

What I do know for certain is that you will not defend whatever it is you actually believe. Why? I don't know. You won't say what it might be that you actually believe.

I am wondering if even you know what you believe. If you are, for some reason, unable to state your actual beliefs, most here would accept that, given a valid reason. You could be a gay woman living in Saudi Arabia for all anyone knows, living so far in the closet that you see lions and witches all the while illegally driving a car.

How can anyone tell? You won't and you are the one living your very own life.
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:02 PM   #66
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I got piqued by what people here said and watched it.

Ah, well. At least he talks fast. Reasonably amusing and on the spot. No news, tho'

Hans
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:03 PM   #67
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Have no fear.

Hans
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:06 PM   #68
smartcooky
Philosopher

Somewhat. And yet not enough of a moron to drink the koolaid.
Ouch!!

There is nothing at all wrong with posting a video without any further comment and asking for comments from others. Its not illegal and not against the MA.

Anyway, I watched it all the way through (or rather listened while I made breakfast) this morning, if for no other reasons than to see what all the fuss is about, and to be one step a head of the loudest critics in this thread (who in fact are criticising something they haven't even seen)

Firstly, way too much swearing for my liking. He could have cut down the time by a couple of minutes if he had left out the F bombs. I'd like to see Cinema Sins do a take on "The Bible" (like they did for "Noah"). It would be shorter with much less swearing.

Secondly, while it was a shade too long, I don't have a real problem with this. Anyone who can't handle watching a 35 minute video "because its too long" is either lazy or has the attention span of a flea.

Lastly, he hits all the nails pretty square on the head, even if it is in a boorish and moronic way. I regard myself to be intelligent enough to sort the wheat from the chaff - ignore the swearing and the boorishness, and hear what he is saying.. and the overall message is pretty crack on. Historically, if you are one of Gods's chosen people, things are not going to go well for you because basically, God sacrifices his chosen people to fix stuff, and since God is all-powerful and all-seeing and omnipresent, why does he not just snap his fingers and fix what needs fixing without all the murder, mayhem, baby-killing and human suffering?

Last edited by smartcooky; 2nd November 2017 at 02:32 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:34 PM   #69
Toontown
Philosopher

Very little of your time has been wasted by me, that being the 2 minutes you might have spent watching the video before (apparently) becoming enraged that I suckered you into wasting 2 minutes.

The vast preponderance of the time you've wasted in this thread was of your own volition, as anyone can see by counting all your posts.

Hint: your post count need not have been greater than 1 after watching 2 minutes of the video and deciding you hated the redneck bastard and the bastard who posted the video. You didn't need to spend parts of 2 days giving vent to your anger.
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:37 PM   #70
d4m10n
Master Poster

Seems to be a whole cottage industry of youtubey atheist videos preaching to the choir lately tho.
"lately"
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:55 PM   #71
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Ouch!!

There is nothing at all wrong with posting a video without any further comment and asking for comments from others. Its not illegal and not against the MA.

Anyway, I watched it all the way through (or rather listened while I made breakfast) this morning, if for no other reasons than to see what all the fuss is about, and to be one step a head of the loudest critics in this thread (who in fact are criticising something they haven't even seen)

Firstly, way too much swearing for my liking. He could have cut down the time by a couple of minutes if he had left out the F bombs. I'd like to see Cinema Sins do a take on "The Bible" (like they did for "Noah"). It would be shorter with much less swearing.

Secondly, while it was a shade too long, I don't have a real problem with this. Anyone who can't handle watching a 35 minute video "because its too long" is either lazy or has the attention span of a flea.

Lastly, he hits all the nails pretty square on the head, even if it is in a boorish and moronic way. I regard myself to be intelligent enough to sort the wheat from the chaff - ignore the swearing and the boorishness, and hear what he is saying.. and the overall message is pretty crack on. Historically, if you are one of Gods's chosen people, things are not going to go well for you because basically, God sacrifices his chosen people to fix stuff, and since God is all-powerful and all-seeing and omnipresent, why does he not just snap his fingers and fix what needs fixing without all the murder, mayhem, baby-killing and human suffering?
Oh I can swear a hole in a pot if I am sufficiently motivated. But consider the audience to which he was addressing himself. That is the lingua franca on the ground. OK perhaps the guy should have reigned it in, but then it really would not impact on the intended audience very much.

And we, on this site, are not the intended audience. Fellow rednecks are the intended audience.

And I do not say that out of any stupid elitism, either. I can parse the guy's meaning. The religious among us are seemingly are unable to see anything beyond the profane words. They seem to go on the basis that"Oooo, he said a bold word, therefore everything he said must be naughty" on the basis of...I have no idea.

The migration of swear words is slightly fascinating. The worst, these days, is the C-word. But trace it's history. Mostly, it has been a benign term, but Victorian England made it into the worst epithet because it was ...something.
Old 2nd November 2017, 03:50 PM   #72
smartcooky
Philosopher

The migration of swear words is slightly fascinating. The worst, these days, is the C-word. But trace it's history. Mostly, it has been a benign term, but Victorian England made it into the worst epithet because it was ...something.
I agree. When I was a kid (I was born in England and my dad was English) swearing was generally frowned upon, "Bloody" and "Bugger" were discouraged but acceptable, the C-word or the F-bomb got me told off, but I was roundly scolded and made to apologise to mum once when I said "bollocks". The funny thing is that a few hours later, it was used on a TV program... Raymond Burr said it in an episode of "Ironside". Apparently bollocks is not even a swearword in the USA... who knew?

Anyway, discussing swearing never fails to remind me of the late, great George Carlin and "The Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television".
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 04:05 PM   #73
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I agree. When I was a kid (I was born in England and my dad was English) swearing was generally frowned upon, "Bloody" and "Bugger" were discouraged but acceptable, the C-word or the F-bomb got me told off, but I was roundly scolded and made to apologise to mum once when I said "bollocks". The funny thing is that a few hours later, it was used on a TV program... Raymond Burr said it in an episode of "Ironside". Apparently bollocks is not even a swearword in the USA... who knew?

Anyway, discussing swearing never fails to remind me of the late, great George Carlin and "The Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television".
Well, I had to deal with this with my kids. As one would expect, they tried the

"shock the parents" route, which I quickly deflated in no uncertain terms by telling them to Foxtrot right Oscar.

These days, They are both entirely comfortable with swearing in appropriate circumstance and not swearing when it is inappropriate.

How did I achieve that? I have no idea. By example, I guess. Situational awareness I suspect. Some study of the origin of such terms probably helped. Most of them are amusingly benign.
Old 2nd November 2017, 05:52 PM   #74
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I cut my teeth on this forum on the 911 conspiracy forum, where if a truther posted a zero substance link to a you tube video they would get lit up like a roman candle.

Interestingly I have learned that posting a zero substance link to a you tube video pandering to atheists on this forum not only gets a pass but pointing this out is frowned upon!

REDNECK ATHEIST is the new inside jobby job. Lolz!
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:16 PM   #75
smartcooky
Philosopher

I cut my teeth on this forum on the 911 conspiracy forum, where if a truther posted a zero substance link to a you tube video they would get lit up like a roman candle.

Interestingly I have learned that posting a zero substance link to a you tube video pandering to atheists on this forum not only gets a pass but pointing this out is frowned upon!

REDNECK ATHEIST is the new inside jobby job. Lolz!
So you think a 9/11 truther and an atheist are one and the same thing.

OK, got it

In fact, I find more in common between 9/11 Truthers and Sky Daddy Bleevers, not the least of which is that they both wholly and completely believe in their "truth' without a single shred of scientific supporting evidence.

Last edited by smartcooky; 2nd November 2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:33 PM   #76
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

So you think a 9/11 truther and an atheist are one and the same thing.

OK, got it

In fact, I find more in common between 9/11 Truthers and Sky Daddy Bleevers, not the least of which is that they both wholly and completely believe in their "truth' without a single shred of scientific supporting evidence.
Lolz, Rule of So, followed by a "Sky Daddy" followed by a "Bleevers" In a post that has no response to the substance of my post.

Gaze upon it folks. lolz

Fantastic!
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:05 PM   #77
smartcooky
Philosopher

Lolz, Rule of So, followed by a "Sky Daddy" followed by a "Bleevers" In a post that has no response to the substance of my post.

Gaze upon it folks. lolz

Fantastic!

You're good at the Skydaddy Sidestep, I'll give you that.
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:29 PM   #78
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know what it is with my fellow atheists in this section over the last week or so, but there's some incredibly weak reasoning and argumentation going on right about now. It's sad, especially on a board that's supposed to be dedicated to critical thinking.

I can only recommend that people take a step back and consider what they're trying to achieve with their posts and whether they're actually replying honestly to those they're attempting to engage with.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:46 PM   #79
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Gaze upon it folks. lolz

Fantastic!
How amusing. declaim the sky-deity while claiming the sky-dad is real. You might want to think about that.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:53 PM   #80
smartcooky
Philosopher

I don't know what it is with my fellow atheists in this section over the last week or so, but there's some incredibly weak reasoning and argumentation going on right about now. It's sad, especially on a board that's supposed to be dedicated to critical thinking.

I can only recommend that people take a step back and consider what they're trying to achieve with their posts and whether they're actually replying honestly to those they're attempting to engage with.
Its hard to engage at all, let alone "honestly", with someone whose posts are largely fact-free and consist mostly of cynicism, snide remarks and "lolz".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy