ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , al franken , sex scandals , sexual abuse incidents , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 16th November 2017, 08:36 AM   #1
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And Thereís Nothing Funny

http://www.kabc.com/2017/11/16/leean...or-al-franken/

Quote:
Iím still angry at what Al Franken did to me.

Every time I hear his voice or see his face, I am angry. I am angry that I did his stupid skit for the rest of that tour. I am angry that I didnít call him out in front of everyone when I had the microphone in my hand every night after that. I wanted to. But I didnít want to rock the boat. I was there to entertain the troops and make sure they forgot about where they were for a few hours. Someday, I thought to myself, I would tell my story.

That day is now.

Senator Franken, you wrote the script. But thereís nothing funny about sexual assault.

You wrote the scene that would include you kissing me and then relentlessly badgered me into Ďrehearsingí the kiss with you backstage when we were alone.

You knew exactly what you were doing. You forcibly kissed me without my consent, grabbed my breasts while I was sleeping and had someone take a photo of you doing it, knowing I would see it later, and be ashamed.

While debating whether or not to go public, I even thought to myself, so much worse has happened to so many others, maybe my story isnít worth telling? But my story is worth telling.

Not just because 2017 is not 2006, or because I am much more secure in my career now than I was then, and not because Iím still angry.

Iím telling my story because there may be others.

Time to start expelling anyone who has any such events in their past?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 08:41 AM   #2
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
http://www.kabc.com/2017/11/16/leean...or-al-franken/

Time to start expelling anyone who has any such events in their past?
Maybe. You need to define the hilited phrase better.
Old 16th November 2017, 08:44 AM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It was a skit?

I'll wait for more assertions to come in. He's been around a long time, if it's a pattern there'll be more. Given he's worked to expose abusers like O'Reilly and abusive situations like the Saipan sweatshops, this is another person that the accusation seems out of character for the accused.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Argumemnon
World Maker

Ok who hasn't been accused of sexual impropriety, at this point?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 08:46 AM   #5
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It was a skit?

I'll wait for more assertions to come in. He's been around a long time, if it's a pattern there'll be more. Given he's worked to expose abusers like O'Reilly and abusive situations like the Saipan sweatshops, this is another person that the accusation seems out of character for the accused.
Did you see the picture?

http://images.tritondigitalcms.com/6...rplane-pic.jpg
Old 16th November 2017, 08:50 AM   #6
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Maybe. You need to define the hilited phrase better.
Sexual harassment and sexual assault, of course.

Expelling Moore for his actions will definitely open a can of worms among politicians, imo.

It will definitely empower more victims to come forward, I think.

We've already had reports of how sleazy politicians have been.

Hopefully we can clean up Congress and remove everyone on the "creep list".

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 08:53 AM   #7
Argumemnon
World Maker

Expelling Moore for his actions will definitely open a can of worms among politicians, imo.

Also hopefully, it won't invite false accusations at the same time.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 08:54 AM   #8
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Also hopefully, it won't invite false accusations at the same time.
Oh, we'll get some of those too.

Old 16th November 2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If he forced himself on her as described then yes it is assault, but I could see how that situation could arise from a miscommunication.

The photograph, I would say it is all in the context, what was the relationship like between them or the perceived relationship like and so on.

(By the way it looks to me as if one hand is not touching her - the other hand appearing to touch could also be an effect of the foreshortening).
Old 16th November 2017, 08:58 AM   #10
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It was a skit?

It was in a skit, but not consensual.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 09:00 AM   #11
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If he forced himself on her as described then yes it is assault, but I could see how that situation could arise from a miscommunication.

The photograph, I would say it is all in the context, what was the relationship like between them or the perceived relationship like and so on.

(By the way it looks to me as if one hand is not touching her - the other hand appearing to touch could also be an effect of the foreshortening).
Pretending to grab her boobs while she is asleep, and taking a photo of the act, is sexual harassment, imo.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:01 AM   #12
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The issue isn't the photo. The issue is backstage he forced his tongue into her mouth.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 09:07 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The issue isn't the photo. The issue is backstage he forced his tongue into her mouth.
If the photo wasn't part of the issue one would have to wonder why she included it. You also seemed to miss my first sentence.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:08 AM   #15
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Says who?
Old 16th November 2017, 09:09 AM   #16
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Seems about like the end of the pussygate video. So isn't this kind of sexual harassment really presidential?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 09:15 AM   #17
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If I were to have such a photo taken with a female that I work with, I would be fired.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:25 AM   #18
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

If I were to have such a photo taken with a female that I work with, I would be fired.
I'm not sure how that's relevant.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:26 AM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Would she also be for sleeping on the job?
Old 16th November 2017, 09:28 AM   #20
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

OK, then no, I don't agree as a blanket statement the senate (and house I assume) need to start expelling anyone who has Sexual harassment or sexual assault in their past.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:29 AM   #21
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The photo humiliates and demeans her via a sexual reference, imo.

I'm sure it was passed around to the boys to giggle over.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:30 AM   #22
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
One can take a nap on a break or at lunch, so not necessarily.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:31 AM   #23
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

OK, then no, I don't agree as a blanket statement the senate (and house I assume) need to start expelling anyone who has Sexual harassment or sexual assault in their past.
Well, the harassment seems somewhat variable in degree, but if you actually have a sexual assault in your past, I don't want you in Congress.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:35 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In all contexts?
Old 16th November 2017, 09:38 AM   #25
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Well, the harassment seems somewhat variable in degree, but if you actually have a sexual assault in your past, I don't want you in Congress.
I can probably agree to that part without much tweaking.

The other still has to be somewhat contextual.

The problems are both legal, and political -i.e. appearances.

I'm having a hard time getting worked up over a photo by a comedian that may have been, in your own words, "passed around to the boys to giggle over." Taken in an atmosphere that according to the article " full of sexual innuendo geared toward a young, male audience."

That's the sort of context that at least makes me stop and say hmm ... is this even anywhere the same as me doing that in a corporate office ? And the answer is, of course, no.

OTOH - does it make it all OK ? No, I don't think it necessarily does. But context matters.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:41 AM   #26
Stacko
Philosopher

Roy Moore having Keith Ellison as a colleague in the senate is going to be lit.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 09:44 AM   #27
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeann_Tweeden

She has also appeared on the political discussion series Hannity, as a member of the "Great American Panel" and occasionally appeared on the panel of Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld.[4]

In 1996, Tweeden appeared non-nude in a fitness model pictorial for Playboy magazine. Fifteen years later, at 38 years old, she appeared again in the December, 2011 issue of Playboy, this time posing in a nude pictorial. IIn 2002, she was a guest character in the motocross video game Freekstyle as a motocross rider. The March 2007 Issue of FHM (which was the final printed US issue) featured Tweeden as the cover girl.[5] As part of Hooters' 25th anniversary in 2008, she was named among "The Top Hooters Girls of all time".[6]

More context.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:45 AM   #28
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

In all contexts?
In the same context.

Sleeping, fellow employee, pretending to grope her breasts.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:46 AM   #29
Stacko
Philosopher

She has also appeared on the political discussion series Hannity, as a member of the "Great American Panel" and occasionally appeared on the panel of Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld.[4]

In 1996, Tweeden appeared non-nude in a fitness model pictorial for Playboy magazine. Fifteen years later, at 38 years old, she appeared again in the December, 2011 issue of Playboy, this time posing in a nude pictorial. IIn 2002, she was a guest character in the motocross video game Freekstyle as a motocross rider. The March 2007 Issue of FHM (which was the final printed US issue) featured Tweeden as the cover girl.[5] As part of Hooters' 25th anniversary in 2008, she was named among "The Top Hooters Girls of all time".[6]

More context.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 09:47 AM   #30
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

More context.
Seems like victim blaming to me. Doesn't matter now many racy or nude photo shoots she did.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:48 AM   #31
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Context doesn't matter in your world ?
Old 16th November 2017, 09:49 AM   #32
Stacko
Philosopher

Context doesn't matter in your world ?
What context is referencing her appearance in Playboy beyond prudish smearing?
Old 16th November 2017, 09:49 AM   #33
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Franken has apologized.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/16...unny-about-it/
Old 16th November 2017, 09:53 AM   #34
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
What context is referencing her appearance in Playboy beyond prudish smearing?
Meh.

She brought it up first in the article
"As a TV host and sports broadcaster, as well as a model familiar to the audience from the covers of FHM, Maxim and Playboy, ...."

If it's not important to context, why bring it up ?
Old 16th November 2017, 09:53 AM   #35
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

It all sounds a bit desperate to me. She told him what would happen in no uncertain terms if he repeated the act, therefore leaving him in no doubt as to her thoughts on the "assault. That picture is, whilst crass, in no way an example of him "groping her".

She didn't tell some people but she told some people.

It's a done deal and you can hate me all you like for thinking get the **** over it.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 09:54 AM   #36
Argumemnon
World Maker

The photo humiliates and demeans her via a sexual reference, imo.

I'm sure it was passed around to the boys to giggle over.
Speaking as a man, I don't see the appeal.

Old 16th November 2017, 09:57 AM   #37
Argumemnon
World Maker

More context.
Context for what?

Old 16th November 2017, 09:59 AM   #38
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking as a man, I don't see the appeal.
Me either, but I'm not a comedian or a powerful man in the entertainment business.

Old 16th November 2017, 10:06 AM   #39
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Context for what?
The story, the pictures, the timing, the people ...

I didn't intend for it to come across as victim blaming.
Old 16th November 2017, 10:15 AM   #40
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
According to the article, she was on a cargo plane at the time. And even if she was sleeping on the job it hardly makes what he did right. He really needs to right this wrong and that probably ought to include resigning from the Senate.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics