ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , al franken , sex scandals , sexual abuse incidents , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 16th November 2017, 10:16 AM   #41
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
The story, the pictures, the timing, the people ...
I still don't see how her past jobs have anything to do with the context of this one event. Like, if I got hacked, would me being a computer programmer provide context?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:18 AM   #42
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Speaking as a man, I don't see the appeal.
You say a lot of ambiguous things. Can you clarify? Do you mean "She's not pretty enough to assault" which was my first thought. A second later I realized you could also mean "I don't understand the attraction of sex with nonconsenting women". So what are you saying here?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:21 AM   #43
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You say a lot of ambiguous things. Can you clarify? Do you mean "She's not pretty enough to assault" which was my first thought. A second later I realized you could also mean "I don't understand the attraction of sex with nonconsenting women". So what are you saying here?
I don't understand the appeal of doing the thing LTC8K6 was describing. In fact, that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted.

I think the reason why you think I'm often ambiguous is that you're trying too hard to find hidden meanings in what I say.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:21 AM   #44
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Pretending to grab her boobs while she is asleep, and taking a photo of the act, is sexual harassment, imo.
Old 16th November 2017, 10:23 AM   #45
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I don't understand the appeal of doing the thing LTC8K6 was describing. In fact, that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted.

I think the reason why you think I'm often ambiguous is that you're trying too hard to find hidden meanings in what I say.
That doesn't help. I'm asking WHY you don't understand the appeal. And now starting to wonder if you're ducking the question.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:24 AM   #46
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeann_Tweeden

She has also appeared on the political discussion series Hannity, as a member of the "Great American Panel" and occasionally appeared on the panel of Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld.[4]

In 1996, Tweeden appeared non-nude in a fitness model pictorial for Playboy magazine. Fifteen years later, at 38 years old, she appeared again in the December, 2011 issue of Playboy, this time posing in a nude pictorial. IIn 2002, she was a guest character in the motocross video game Freekstyle as a motocross rider. The March 2007 Issue of FHM (which was the final printed US issue) featured Tweeden as the cover girl.[5] As part of Hooters' 25th anniversary in 2008, she was named among "The Top Hooters Girls of all time".[6]

More context.

She had it coming! Did you see how she was dressed?
Old 16th November 2017, 10:28 AM   #47
Argumemnon
World Maker

That doesn't help. I'm asking WHY you don't understand the appeal.
Do you also need me to explain to you WHY I don't understand the appeal of broccoli?

What exactly is the problem, here? I don't understand the appeal. What else can I possibly say about this?

Quote:
And now starting to wonder if you're ducking the question.
And I'm starting to think that you have a specific beef with me. No one else seems confused by my post. Go pick on someone else.

Last edited by Argumemnon; 16th November 2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 16th November 2017, 10:34 AM   #48
3point14
Pi

Context doesn't matter in your world ?
In what way do you think your post informs the debate? What changes, in your interpretation of the situation, in light of the 'context' you've provided?

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.

Last edited by 3point14; 16th November 2017 at 10:35 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:34 AM   #49
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In the same context.

Sleeping, fellow employee, pretending to grope her breasts.
And she was your wife?

Not being facetious but context really does matter.
Old 16th November 2017, 10:38 AM   #50
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Get this bit from Franken's famous joke about raping Lesley Stahl:

Quote:
Franken: “And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her.’ Or, ‘That’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘When she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’”
(Italics added)

Sounds like we've identified Franken's kink--he likes to take pictures of himself doing things to women who are sleeping or passed out. Just a little bit more context.

Last edited by Brainster; 16th November 2017 at 10:39 AM.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:39 AM   #51
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Congresswoman Jackie Speier announced yesterday that Congress has had a taxpayer provided sexual harassment fund in place and the fund has paid out $15 million dollars over the last 10-15 years to settle claims against Congress members. Those who were paid off agreed to a non-disclosure clause, meaning no names of those accused will be made public. More of our tax dollars going to a great cause!
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:41 AM   #52
NoahFence
Suspended

This is the direct result of electing a pile of **** like Donald Trump president. Did perpetrators of sexual assault and molestation think women were going to keep silent forever?

Yea, right. Time for that seismic shift in our culture.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:44 AM   #53
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Do you also need me to explain to you WHY I don't understand the appeal of broccoli?

What exactly is the problem, here? I don't understand the appeal. What else can I possibly say about this? .
I gave you two possible choices of ways you could clarify this. Since you don't seem to want to do that I'll just point out that it is horrible to imply that only attractive should be molested. Or, the corollary, that attractive women deserve to be molested.

Old 16th November 2017, 10:47 AM   #54
Argumemnon
World Maker

I gave you two possible choices of ways you could clarify this.
I DID CLARIFY. I told you that I can't understand the appeal of the actions described by the other poster. YOU ARE THE ONE adding meaning to it, in a very vile way, I might add:

Quote:
I'll just point out that it is horrible to imply that only attractive should be molested. Or, the corollary, that attractive women deserve to be molested.
It would be quite an understatement of me to say that you're using the uttermost least charitable reading of my post. Instead, you seem to be on a mission to smear me without reason. Never have I said or implied any of these things, and your post borders on libel. Take it back. Now.

Old 16th November 2017, 10:47 AM   #55
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Says who?
I do. Everyone is debating the photo like they are Jim Garrison. Meanwhile, putting a tongue in someone's mouth during a rehearsal is blatantly unacceptable.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:49 AM   #56
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
In what way do you think your post informs the debate? What changes, in your interpretation of the situation, in light of the 'context' you've provided?
Whether the "victim" is sincere or making political hay.

I'll point out again, she brought up in the article:
"As a TV host and sports broadcaster, as well as a model familiar to the audience from the covers of FHM, Maxim and Playboy, ...."

If it's not important to context, why did she bring it up ?
Old 16th November 2017, 10:50 AM   #57
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I DID CLARIFY. I told you that I can't understand the appeal of the actions described by the other poster. YOU ARE THE ONE adding meaning to it, in a very vile way, I might add:

It would be quite an understatement of me to say that you're using the uttermost least charitable reading of my post. Instead, you seem to be on a mission to smear me without reason. Never have I said or implied any of these things, and your post borders on libel. Take it back. Now.
Or ?
Old 16th November 2017, 10:50 AM   #58
Argumemnon
World Maker

"As a TV host and sports broadcaster, as well as a model familiar to the audience from the covers of FHM, Maxim and Playboy, ...."

Maybe for no good reason. It still doesn't tell us anything more about the incident.

Old 16th November 2017, 10:52 AM   #59
Argumemnon
World Maker

Or ?
I need to name a consequence for Yuppy to do the right thing?

Well, that sure is very informative about you.

Old 16th November 2017, 10:53 AM   #60
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

This women may be a Fox-bot, but that photo corroborates her story.

Franken should resign, or at least address the allegation in a more meaningful way. His lame rationalization reads like a guilty person trying to find the middle ground between not admitting guilt and not calling the accuser a liar.

Also, good to see our forum conservatives finally remember they find sexual assault distasteful.

Last edited by johnny karate; 16th November 2017 at 10:57 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:53 AM   #61
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
This is the direct result of electing a pile of **** like Donald Trump president. Did perpetrators of sexual assault and molestation think women were going to keep silent forever?

Yea, right. Time for that seismic shift in our culture.
So a possible bright side for his being elected?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:56 AM   #62
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I need to name a consequence for Yuppy to do the right thing?

Well, that sure is very informative about you.

It seemed there was an implied consequence. I was wondering what it was.

ETA: and when you posted "WHY I don't understand the appeal of broccoli?" You did seem to imply it's because we should all agree broccoli is unappealing. So yeah, you could have been much clearer.

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 16th November 2017 at 11:02 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 10:59 AM   #63
NoahFence
Suspended

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
So a possible bright side for his being elected?
There's a bright side to everything. Even a nuclear explosion!

I think it could have signaled the end of the road for his type of people. Provided we make it though the other side alive, I get the sense that predatory behavior is on the way out, thankfully.

Unfortunately people like Franken will get caught up in it. But can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:09 AM   #64
Argumemnon
World Maker

ETA: and when you posted "WHY I don't understand the appeal of broccoli?" You did seem to imply it's because we should all agree broccoli is unappealing. So yeah, you could have been much clearer.
You have a serious problem with making logical connections if you think one implies the other.

Really.

If person A says "I don't understand why people like pizza", the ONLY thing they're saying is that they don't like pizza and don't understand why others like it. They are not saying that no one else should like it, or that pizzas are too expensive, or have too much cheese on them, or were invented too late in history, or whatever. Any of these other things are complete fabrications.

Look, my post was clear: I don't understand the appeal of taking a picture of a sleeping woman and (at the very least) pretending to grope her. I don't find it funny or amusing or clever, but I do find it stupid. That's not a moral judgment, nor is it -- and it's amazing that I have to say this -- a statement about the woman's appearance. However, if we're to talk about morality, I think that depending on the context of the act, it might be morally wrong, especially if he actually put his hands on her without consent, or used the picture to harass or embarrass her.

Old 16th November 2017, 11:11 AM   #65
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
There's a bright side to everything. Even a nuclear explosion!
In fact, nuclear explosions have mostly bright sides. That's one of their problems, actually.

Old 16th November 2017, 11:19 AM   #66
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Congresswoman Jackie Speier announced yesterday that Congress has had a taxpayer provided sexual harassment fund in place and the fund has paid out $15 million dollars over the last 10-15 years to settle claims against Congress members. Those who were paid off agreed to a non-disclosure clause, meaning no names of those accused will be made public. More of our tax dollars going to a great cause!
What they should really do is void all the NDAs resulting from this fund and get it ALL out.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:23 AM   #67
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
In fact, nuclear explosions have mostly bright sides. That's one of their problems, actually.
Depends on how you look at it. Sort of like the eclipse. A good welding helmet would be useful for a second or two.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:27 AM   #68
C_Felix
Master Poster

The story, the pictures, the timing, the people ...

I didn't intend for it to come across as victim blaming.
Let us go way out on a limb and suggest she had sex when was 12, her first three way when she was 13, and much like Madonna in the opening of Resiervoir Dogs, can't get enough D. And if you ask her, she'll send you a nude selfie.

Let us play pretend and assume all of that is true, does that make what Al Franken might have done any better?
Old 16th November 2017, 11:29 AM   #69
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

http://www.kabc.com/2017/11/16/leean...or-al-franken/

Time to start expelling anyone who has any such events in their past?

Hurried to turn on Rush Limbaugh for the hell of it...yep, "blah blah blah Al Franken blah blah..." Like clockwork.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:35 AM   #70
Monza
Alta Viro

She explains why she brought it up in her article. As a Playboy/FHM model she was familiar to the audience of young men. It's clear she knew why she was there, as an attractive woman on stage for an audience of soldiers. She would act as emcee and knew the skits would feature sexual innuendo. When Franken suggested she be part of his skit that included a kiss she agreed.

The problem was he wanted a rehearsal and while ding so went too far for her comfort. She told him and then stopped all non-professional interaction with him. She claims he then treated her poorly and took a picture of her while she was sleeping with the intent to humiliate her.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:37 AM   #71
The_Animus
Master Poster

The difference in responses from Moore and Frankin as well as their supporters is interesting

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:40 AM   #72
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And she was your wife?

Not being facetious but context really does matter.
How would that be the same context as Franken / Tweeden?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:49 AM   #73
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Let us go way out on a limb and suggest she had sex when was 12, her first three way when she was 13, and much like Madonna in the opening of Resiervoir Dogs, can't get enough D. And if you ask her, she'll send you a nude selfie.

Let us play pretend and assume all of that is true, does that make what Al Franken might have done any better?
Ostensibly, the only reason she was there was she was a hot model.

When someone is in the business of selling themselves and their sexuality, someone else taking a crass photo of pretending to grab said persons breasts doesn't seem as egregious as other circumstances. I can easily see it having been a running gag, or something similar during the tour.

Again, this isn't meant to be in the context of "therefor she deserved it" - it's meant to be in the context of how adults on a tour might be expected to interact with one another, based on who they are and what they are there for.

Was it a funny picture ? Not to me as it is, not with no other context. And Franken would probably only dig himself deeper trying to explain one.

Let me also clarify this was about the picture - that we can all see and agree on. The kiss was wrong if it happened they way tweeden described it. But franken does seem to disagree it happened that way. And her political background, which I also posted, gives reason for pause on taking her story at face value with no questioning motives.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:50 AM   #74
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

You have a serious problem with making logical connections if you think one implies the other.

Really.
Maybe your communication skills need improvement.

Really.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:50 AM   #75
Fudbucker
Philosopher

The picture and the allegations are bad. Franken should probably step down.

Democrats might come out of this even: lose Franken's seat, pick up Alabama's. The principle has to be: the Left holds their scumbags to account. That's worth more than a Senate spot.

Last edited by Fudbucker; 16th November 2017 at 11:53 AM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:53 AM   #76
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post

Democrats might come out of this even: lose Franken's seat, pick up Alabama's.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...ion-of-himself

en. Al Franken (D-Minn.) is calling for an ethics investigation into his own behavior after a woman accused him of kissing and groping her without consent.

Franken in an expanded statement on Thursday apologized for the incident, in which he groped television host and sports broadcaster Leeann Tweeden while she was asleep on a military plane during a 2006 USO tour.

“I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences,” he said. “I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate.”

Franken doubled down on his claim that he does not remember the rehearsal for the skit “in the same way” as Tweeden.

But he said Tweeden "deserved to be heard."

“The truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories,” Franken said. “They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”
Old 16th November 2017, 11:53 AM   #77
Argumemnon
World Maker

Maybe your communication skills need improvement.

Really.
Considering that you just ignored the entire text of the post that follows what you quoted, I think the problem is not only on your end, but deliberate.

It's really mind-boggling to me how many posters here are looking for disagreement rather than discussion and understanding, but there you have it.

Old 16th November 2017, 11:54 AM   #78
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Democrats might come out of this even: lose Franken's seat, pick up Alabama's. The principle has to be: the Left holds their scumbags to account. That's worth more than a Senate spot.
Al Franken, steps down.

Roy Moore, Senator for life.

Totally worth it
Old 16th November 2017, 11:55 AM   #79
Fudbucker
Philosopher

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...ion-of-himself

en. Al Franken (D-Minn.) is calling for an ethics investigation into his own behavior after a woman accused him of kissing and groping her without consent.

Franken in an expanded statement on Thursday apologized for the incident, in which he groped television host and sports broadcaster Leeann Tweeden while she was asleep on a military plane during a 2006 USO tour.

“I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences,” he said. “I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate.”

Franken doubled down on his claim that he does not remember the rehearsal for the skit “in the same way” as Tweeden.

But he said Tweeden "deserved to be heard."

“The truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories,” Franken said. “They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”
I believe the accuser. What Franken did is a disqualifier. I'm as liberal as they come, but we can't tolerate these men acting like this.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 11:56 AM   #80
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Then we should kick out everyone who had one of those payments made to keep sexual assault in the house quiet. If we did it might well do interesting things to the political landscape.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics