ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , al franken , sex scandals , sexual abuse incidents , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Reply
Old 16th November 2017, 03:01 PM   #161
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 26,863
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Same problem in other galaxies.

"Let the Wookie win..."
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:03 PM   #162
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,486
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
If we’re going to start calling to account every performer who goofed around backstage, there’s going to be hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people in trouble. And for what? Goofing around backstage.
When you're a star, they'll let you do anything--shove your tongue in their mouth, photograph them in sexually humiliating situations...
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:04 PM   #163
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,316
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
She can't even bring herself to say the accuser's name, . . .
Her name is Skeptic Ginger, show some respect.
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:09 PM   #164
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
You do have to wonder how this stands out in her mind as the quintessential sexual harassment when clearly it must have been common in her life. You would think she had a gazillion worse complaints to be made.

Link is NSFW.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:09 PM   #165
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,432
So he mimed groping a woman through her flak jacket. He knew she would see this picture and be humiliated. Man, rape culture never sleeps; these guys are always one or two steps ahead.
__________________
November 2nd, 2016:
Cain: Americans are so ******* stupid.
Shalamar: This is why I'm certain Trump will win.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:11 PM   #166
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Her name is Skeptic Ginger, show some respect.
It's because I have to look up how to spell this woman's name, so it's easier to post 'accuser' and look it up later.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:11 PM   #167
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,272
QUESTION: Has Al Franken been photographed groping a sleeping woman's breast other than "the woman's"?

Fact: it only counts if it is pattern.

Fact: Appearing in Playboy or eating at Hooters is basically a one grope free card.

Holy smokes, this thread, yo.....
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:12 PM   #168
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
So he mimed groping a woman through her flak jacket. He knew she would see this picture and be humiliated. Man, rape culture never sleeps; these guys are always one or two steps ahead.
Not to mention it's a fake grope, he's not actually touching her.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:13 PM   #169
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
QUESTION: Has Al Franken been photographed groping a sleeping woman's breast other than "the woman's"?

Fact: it only counts if it is pattern.

Fact: Appearing in Playboy or eating at Hooters is basically a one grope free card.

Holy smokes, this thread, yo.....
Not what I said at all but your post is not surprising. This was my point: "You would think she had a gazillion worse complaints to be made."

I most certainly don't believe if you are a model or waitress at Hooters it is expected of you to be groped.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th November 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:13 PM   #170
C_Felix
Master Poster
 
C_Felix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Just outside Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
QUESTION: Has Al Franken been photographed groping a sleeping woman's breast other than "the woman's"?

Fact: it only counts if it is pattern.

Fact: Appearing in Playboy or eating at Hooters is basically a one grope free card.

Holy smokes, this thread, yo.....

__________________
Eqinsu Ocha!
Eqinsu Ocha!

Last edited by C_Felix; 16th November 2017 at 03:15 PM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:14 PM   #171
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,272
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You do have to wonder how this stands out in her mind as the quintessential sexual harassment when clearly it must have been common in her life. You would think she had a gazillion worse complaints to be made.

Link is NSFW.


Slut Shaming

damn.... is this for real?
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:16 PM   #172
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,329
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
If we’re going to start calling to account every performer who goofed around backstage, there’s going to be hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people in trouble. And for what? Goofing around backstage.
This is the exact problem. As long as people consider this sort of behaviour just "Goofing around backstage" it will continue to happen because it's seen as acceptable. It's not.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:19 PM   #173
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,329
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Think there weren't any pics of men asleep in various poses that were passed around and joked about?
If someone had a photo of them taken while groping or pretending to grope a sleeping guy's junk, then I'd expect them to step down from any leadership positions too.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:19 PM   #174
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,725
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
When you're a star, they'll let you do anything--shove your tongue in their mouth, photograph them in sexually humiliating situations...
Do you really believe what franken was accused of doing and what trump was accused of doing are equivalent ?

Really ?
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:20 PM   #175
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
...

If this happened the way tweeden described, there are plenty more women.
And yeah, if they come out, bye bye franken.
And what if they don't? What if this woman's experience amounts to her being pissed at being the butt of the groping joke and didn't like the skit, maybe resented the subject matter, disliked Franken, whatever?

Then what?

Is every actor that kissed in a skit a potential harasser? Have you seen Game of Thrones? 50 Shades?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:20 PM   #176
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,272
#MeToo (but only if there is at least two... no hooters waitresses either)

ReElect Al!
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:21 PM   #177
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,725
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
The photo humiliates and demeans her via a sexual reference, imo.

I'm sure it was passed around to the boys to giggle over.
Can you explain how this photo would humiliated her ? I mean, she's an innocent victim ? She should be humiliated because she went to sleep, fully dressed ?

Also (anyone can answer) why hasn't this photo been circulated until she circulated it, if it was for humiliation purposes ?

Doesn't cause much humiliation hidden away from public sight does it ?

Seems like the only one humiliated here is franken ?
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 16th November 2017 at 03:26 PM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:22 PM   #178
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,388
I remember a San Diego sports figure grabbed a handful of some "waitress". She sued in civil court and won. One dollar. Seems that with her past, the crime was akin to shoplifting.

This lne seems like another has-been making a last grab at the lime light.
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:23 PM   #179
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,725
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And what if they don't? What if this woman's experience amounts to her being pissed at being the butt of the groping joke and didn't like the skit, maybe resented the subject matter, disliked Franken, whatever?

Then what?

Is every actor that kissed in a skit a potential harasser? Have you seen Game of Thrones? 50 Shades?
If no one else comes out to say franken acted this way towards them, I move the idea that hannity/stone put her up to this out of the 'CT' column and move it towards the 'something to consider' column.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:23 PM   #180
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,272
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And what if they don't? What if this woman's experience amounts to her being pissed at being the butt of the groping joke and didn't like the skit, maybe resented the subject matter, disliked Franken, whatever?

Then what?

Is every actor that kissed in a skit a potential harasser? Have you seen Game of Thrones? 50 Shades?
The woman's name is Leeann Tweeden and Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped her Without her Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:25 PM   #181
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 68,642
Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I misrread you.
Happens all the time.

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I think women are less likely to get involved in wars, yes. I think they also might be better at coming together to form a consensus when it comes to issues like health care, environment, etc.
That might be true, though I think you'll find that they'll be worse for other things as well. As I said, balance.
__________________
渦巻く暗雲天を殺し 現る凶事のうなりか

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:25 PM   #182
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
If someone had a photo of them taken while groping or pretending to grope a sleeping guy's junk, then I'd expect them to step down from any leadership positions too.
Really?

I find it hard to believe that in the military this kind of joking isn't common. There must be a gazillon sleeping picture jokes of military men and women.

Women in the military are being raped and assaulted. That is something to be outraged about. The accusations over more minor things really lessens the seriousness of the significant issues.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:26 PM   #183
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,272
Hmmm, linking to her past as a playboy model, hooters waitress, link to bikini pictures.

Golly, i wonder why more women didn't come out earlier??

Oh right, the unfettered slut shaming....
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:27 PM   #184
Mark F
Graduate Poster
 
Mark F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I don't like the guy, but Pence's policy of not being alone with a women other then his wife seems to have been a smart move on his part....
It seemed silly at the time but now in retrospect,...
__________________
So I'm going to tell you what the facts are, and the facts are the facts, but then we know the truth. That always overcomes facts.
Mark F is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:28 PM   #185
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,272
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Really?

I find it hard to believe that in the military this kind of joking isn't common. There must be a gazillon sleeping picture jokes of military men and women.

Women in the military are being raped and assaulted. That is something to be outraged about. The accusations over more minor things really lessens the seriousness of the significant issues.
The woman's name is Leeann Tweeden and the person who Kissed and Groped her Without her Consent is a US Senator
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:28 PM   #186
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,725
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The woman's name is Leeann Tweeden and Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped her Without her Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It
Actually, he didn't kiss her without consent.

And IDK if I count that as "groping" her , as it doesn't like like he's actually touching her.

grope
2.
informal
feel or fondle (someone) for sexual pleasure, especially against their will.
"he was accused of groping office girls"
synonyms: fondle, touch;
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:29 PM   #187
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,725
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And I don't like the guy, but Pence's policy of not being alone with a women other then his wife seems to have been a smart move on his part....
Because he can't keep his hands to himself ?
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:30 PM   #188
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,129
On the sliding scale of sexual assault seriousness is one kiss from what might have been a miscommunication and a pretend grope the same as actually groping and repeatedly kissing teenage girls?

Because while both are bad I see one as definitely way worse than the other. The response is also starkly different.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com

Last edited by Travis; 16th November 2017 at 03:31 PM.
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:31 PM   #189
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,329
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Do you really believe what franken was accused of doing and what trump was accused of doing are equivalent ?

Really ?
It's not the same scale as a the pussy-grabber or the 14-year old feeler upper or the wiener-pic sender, but that's not the point, the point is that it's still on the scale at all, and if we are going to say that no secual hassament or abuse is acceptable (which it isn't) then it doesn't matter which end of the scale it sits on, it's unacceptable behaviour, and leaders that have engaged in that sort of behaviour need to show that they are willing to accept the consequences. If they refuse to do so, then what message does that send to the men that already think that sexually harassing and abusing others is their right? He needs to do the right thing, and that is stand down. He can let the voters decide if it is bad enough to keep him from being re-elected or not.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:32 PM   #190
Civet
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,235
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Because he can't keep his hands to himself ?
Man's got to know his limitations.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:33 PM   #191
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,388
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You do have to wonder how this stands out in her mind as the quintessential sexual harassment when clearly it must have been common in her life. You would think she had a gazillion worse complaints to be made.

Link is NSFW.
Hmmm, people expect an actor to kiss that, and NOT slip her the tongue?

So, we're not supposed to "slut shame", but Geez, men are not eunuchs. Not even actors.
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:34 PM   #192
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
If no one else comes out to say franken acted this way towards them, I move the idea that hannity/stone put her up to this out of the 'CT' column and move it towards the 'something to consider' column.
I don't think they necessarily put her up to it. I don't think it's necessarily political. I suspect she doesn't like Franken, and I don't know if that's it or this is bandwagon jumping.

It doesn't matter and we shouldn't assume any of that. Regardless of the reason, the question still remains, is this one person's reaction to Franken or is it a pattern?

If one person believes, for whatever reason, that your actions toward them were abusive, then 1) it's either the actions were abusive and it's a pattern, or 2) the actions were abusive unintentionally (it happens), or 3) the actions weren't abusive and the person's interpretation of the actions was wrong.

I've already said the reason I don't put #1 on that list as the most likely is because Franken has been a promoter of women's rights for decades. That doesn't mean he couldn't still turn out to be an abuser. But I have no reason not to rule out #2 or #3 at this point.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:35 PM   #193
Scootch
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Because he can't keep his hands to himself ?
Are you taking into account the context? Maybe there were women that wanted to be alone with him were bikini models or were once in a Playboy spread.
Scootch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:37 PM   #194
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Hmmm, people expect an actor to kiss that, and NOT slip her the tongue?

So, we're not supposed to "slut shame", but Geez, men are not eunuchs. Not even actors.
I purposefully did not slut shame. But I can see why that is confusing to people. I repeat: "You would think she had a gazillion worse complaints to be made."

"I most certainly don't believe if you are a model or waitress at Hooters it is expected of you to be groped."
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:37 PM   #195
Mark F
Graduate Poster
 
Mark F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
The woman's name is Leeann Tweeden and the person who Kissed and Groped her Without her Consent is now a US Senator
FTFY - for clarification.
__________________
So I'm going to tell you what the facts are, and the facts are the facts, but then we know the truth. That always overcomes facts.
Mark F is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:38 PM   #196
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,759
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It's not the same scale as a the pussy-grabber or the 14-year old feeler upper or the wiener-pic sender, but that's not the point, the point is that it's still on the scale at all, and if we are going to say that no secual hassament or abuse is acceptable (which it isn't) then it doesn't matter which end of the scale it sits on, it's unacceptable behaviour, and leaders that have engaged in that sort of behaviour need to show that they are willing to accept the consequences. If they refuse to do so, then what message does that send to the men that already think that sexually harassing and abusing others is their right? He needs to do the right thing, and that is stand down. He can let the voters decide if it is bad enough to keep him from being re-elected or not.
Maybe Franken needs jail time.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:39 PM   #197
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,725
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It's not the same scale as a the pussy-grabber or the 14-year old feeler upper or the wiener-pic sender, but that's not the point, the point is that it's still on the scale at all, and if we are going to say that no secual hassament or abuse is acceptable (which it isn't) then it doesn't matter which end of the scale it sits on, it's unacceptable behaviour, and leaders that have engaged in that sort of behaviour need to show that they are willing to accept the consequences.
Well, I'm glad you weren't making the false equivalency then.

I think you will find the set of people who think franken should step down due to this coincides 100% with the group that thinks trump shouldn't be president because of what he did.

The problem is the group of people who think franken needs to go, but trump is ok.

I'm trying to find out if the prestige is in that latter group.


Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
If they refuse to do so, then what message does that send to the men that already think that sexually harassing and abusing others is their right? He needs to do the right thing, and that is stand down. He can let the voters decide if it is bad enough to keep him from being re-elected or not.
Franken said he will accept and participate in an ethics investigation - that sounds like the right thing.

They can investigate the charges there ... because that sounds like the right thing too. I'm not quite ready to just willy-nilly take anyones word for things that have big consequences with no investigation.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:39 PM   #198
xjx388
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,479
Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Do you really believe what franken was accused of doing and what trump was accused of doing are equivalent ?



Really ?


Not at all. There’s an actual picture of Franken sexually harassing a woman.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:40 PM   #199
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,329
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Really?
Yes really.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that in the military this kind of joking isn't common. There must be a gazillon sleeping picture jokes of military men and women.
And if there are, then they would be just as wrong.

Quote:
Women in the military are being raped and assaulted. That is something to be outraged about. The accusations over more minor things really lessens the seriousness of the significant issues.
I totally disagree, in fact I say it's the exact opposite. If you say, "oh that was just messing around," to the small stuff, then it's too easy to slide the scale of "messing around" upwards. Where does "messing around" become "assault"? When you give licence to the little stuff, then you devalue the bigger stuff because people slowly get immune to it. Pretending to grope is okay goes to actual groping being okay, then pulling off tops being okay, and so on. When you say, zero tolerance, then the "messing around" is not okay and by extend anything worse is darn well not okay.

Think about this for a moment. If it wasn't for the whole "locker-room talk" thing with Trump, do you think there would even be a question as it if felling up a 14-year old was acceptable currently?

The way to stamp this out is to not be accepting of any of it, regardless of how "just messing around" it might be.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 03:41 PM   #200
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,725
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Are you taking into account the context? Maybe there were women that wanted to be alone with him were bikini models or were once in a Playboy spread.
Well played.
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.