ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 16th November 2017, 11:57 AM   #1
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The Trump Presidency Part IV

Mod InfoThis thread has been split from this one due to length. As with all such splits, the position of the split was arbitrary. Please continue posting here just as if you were there, only now you are here.
Posted By:jsfisher

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I might have missed this...but...if I didn't...

Cards Against Humanity bought some land where the border wall is supposed to go and hired an eminent domain attorney.

https://www.boredpanda.com/cards-aga...ampaign=dmblog

And there was a post about the elephant trophies...what the hell is that?!
What would happen if they broke their land into ten yard squares and sold each one to different people?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jsfisher; 16th November 2017 at 06:16 PM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 12:02 PM   #2
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Dude Who Tripled Price of Insulin Nominated to Regulate Price of Insulin

https://other98.com/alex-azar-insulin-trump/

Drain that swamp!
I'd like to have a "talk" with that guy -- my dog's insulin is up to $320 a month now.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 12:02 PM   #3
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
What would happen if they broke their land into ten yard squares and sold each one to different people?
I would be very entertained!
Old 16th November 2017, 02:39 PM   #4
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump demonstrates how to open a bottle of water with the dignity and gravity that reflect the authority of his office.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 02:47 PM   #5
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It's called yield. They jack up the price till they get the the most money in with not too many dropping off because they can't afford it and die so that profits drop off again. Appropriate perhaps for the airline industry. Maybe not so much the health industry.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 02:59 PM   #6
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Continuing to erase anything with President Obama's name on it. In 2014, the Obama administration placed restrictions on the import of elephant trophies from Zambia and Zimbabwe to protect endangered species and discourage poaching.

Guess what?

I wonder if there's any personal interest?

Well, if the meat was put to use, that's just fine then. Passenger pigeons and dodos were probably delicious too.
If, in fact, such animals aren't endangered, then I don't mind that they are hunted.

I'm not sure whether they are endangered in these regions.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 04:02 PM   #7
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

As far as I recall, CITES has decided that even historic ivory trade promotes poaching
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
If, in fact, such animals aren't endangered, then I don't mind that they are hunted.
I just do not see how one can find joy, or even satisfaction, in taking a life.

With a high-power rifle at a distance, there’s not much sport to it.
Old 16th November 2017, 05:48 PM   #9
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Welcome to the swamp, Mr. Zatezalo ... who better to run the Mine Health and Safety Administration than a man who's been cited multiple times for safety and health violations?

Senate confirms Trump's controversial pick to lead mine safety

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th November 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

duplicate

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th November 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Lurch
Thinker

Jesu Christo. It seems that *every* goddamned appointment by Trump is *designed* to throw the fox into the henhouse. What the heck is it with these folk who are antithetical to their posts? I mean, have I suddenly woke up in opposite world?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 06:35 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Jesu Christo. It seems that *every* goddamned appointment by Trump is *designed* to throw the fox into the henhouse. What the heck is it with these folk who are antithetical to their posts? I mean, have I suddenly woke up in opposite world?
No. That's Republican World.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:50 PM   #13
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by C_Felix
I might have missed this...but...if I didn't...

Cards Against Humanity bought some land where the border wall is supposed to go and hired an eminent domain attorney.

https://www.boredpanda.com/cards-aga...ampaign=dmblog
Donald Trump is a preposterous golem who is afraid of Mexicans,
Old 17th November 2017, 12:02 AM   #14
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I just do not see how one can find joy, or even satisfaction, in taking a life.
With a high-power rifle at a distance, there’s not much sport to it.
This is also how I feel.
That said, Phiwum didn't necessarily infer imply that there was any kind of joy to be had. There is a reasonable argument for the culling of elephants in order to maintain healthy numbers/habitat, which is still a difficult pill to swallow.
(this is o/t though)
Old 17th November 2017, 06:16 AM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Now that trump is ending the senseless ban on elephant trophies, people can finally get the elephant head transplants they desperately need to live.
Old 17th November 2017, 06:21 AM   #16
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
This is also how I feel.
That said, Phiwum didn't necessarily infer imply that there was any kind of joy to be had. There is a reasonable argument for the culling of elephants in order to maintain healthy numbers/habitat, which is still a difficult pill to swallow.
(this is o/t though)

I believe that there was concern that, due to corruption in the affected countries, the money spent on hunts would not go toward conservation efforts, like it was supposed to. There are no restrictions in other countries; it was just those two from which the import of trophies was prohibited.
But the Trumps don't hunt in those other countries.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 06:23 AM   #17
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
This is also how I feel.
(this is o/t though)
I was thinking of responding here, but you're right: the ethics of hunting is off topic in a thread about all things Trump.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 06:36 AM   #18
Distracted1
Master Poster

I posted the following last month. I am becoming more convinced it is the case:

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
"After all the institutional knowledge Trump's team kicked out when he took office, the next couple administrations are going to be the political equivalent of a "team-building year" in professional sports."

I have been musing lately that that is the goal of the Republicans with this administration.

Seeing the writing on the wall demographically, and taking in to consideration that the popularity (or, more accurately, lack thereof ) of the current administration,they may have come to the conclusion that they are unlikely to hold much power after future elections.
With this in mind, they may well see that the best strategy for limiting progressive gains over the next several years is to do their utmost to destroy gains already made, while dumping as much as they can into the military.Kind of like trashing the place on their way out, leaving subsequent administrations to rebuild what had already been built- instead of building on what was in place already.

Only a theory, but it fits a lot of what we see happening in education, state, EPA, etc...

Last edited by Distracted1; 17th November 2017 at 06:38 AM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:14 AM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Now that trump is ending the senseless ban on elephant trophies, people can finally get the elephant head transplants they desperately need to live.
I'm finding my mental image of Republicans shooting elephants oddly amusing.
Old 17th November 2017, 08:34 AM   #20
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm finding my mental image of Republicans shooting elephants oddly amusing.

Old 17th November 2017, 09:28 AM   #21
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It worked for Ganesh.
Old 17th November 2017, 10:35 AM   #22
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

This is sold as principled opposition to big government, normally stated as the soothing GOP/libertarian mantra "I'm for small government." What it actually translates into is "no rules or restrictions, no taxes, no limits to what anyone can do." Sounds nice... to a child's mind, like those of Trump and his supporters, or to the insanely greedy, like Trump and his pals/appointees.

So, yes, the US under this administration, as well as the discourse among its supporters and friendly media, madly pursues the 180º opposite of what a sane mind might conclude about economics, democracy (or Christianity) from basic source materials.
Old 17th November 2017, 10:54 AM   #23
Lurch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I posted the following last month. I am becoming more convinced it is the case:

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
"After all the institutional knowledge Trump's team kicked out when he took office, the next couple administrations are going to be the political equivalent of a "team-building year" in professional sports."

I have been musing lately that that is the goal of the Republicans with this administration.

Seeing the writing on the wall demographically, and taking in to consideration that the popularity (or, more accurately, lack thereof ) of the current administration,they may have come to the conclusion that they are unlikely to hold much power after future elections.
With this in mind, they may well see that the best strategy for limiting progressive gains over the next several years is to do their utmost to destroy gains already made, while dumping as much as they can into the military.Kind of like trashing the place on their way out, leaving subsequent administrations to rebuild what had already been built- instead of building on what was in place already.

Only a theory, but it fits a lot of what we see happening in education, state, EPA, etc...
Yeah. Even if not an overtly conscious course of action, at least subconsciously there might be some drive to frack it all up so that when the pendulum swings there'll be a veritable wasteland to occupy effort and time to clean up.

Whatever the motivation, what idiotic, partisan short-sightedness. Our elected representatives are *supposed* to be working to the collective good. As a nation the US had better implement--and mighty quick--corrective measures to halt this political Gotterdammerung. I'm somewhat reminded of the raving madness of a certain mid 20th century 'leader' who insisted on the razing of his nation once the realization dawned that the end of his little experiment was nigh. Yes, this comparison stretches to perhaps breaking point, but I'm inclined these days to look to more extreme precedents while groping for understanding in this daily cavalcade of ever astonishing degradation.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 12:03 PM   #24
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump really can blow us all to hell:
Quote:
The fact is—and it was a fact that witnesses evaded for most of the hearing—the president of the United States has no legal obligation to heed any adviser on this score. He can launch a nuclear attack at will. And much as the four-star general in charge of Stratcom or the civilian secretary of defense might muster opposing arguments, they are not even in the nuclear chain of command. The order goes from the president to a one-star general at the National Military Command Center, and straight from there to the officers manning the ICBM silos and the nuclear submarines who would turn the keys and launch their missiles.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ar_weapon.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 02:31 PM   #25
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Might them more damned sense that they started with!
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 10:00 PM   #26
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. Even if not an overtly conscious course of action, at least subconsciously there might be some drive to frack it all up so that when the pendulum swings there'll be a veritable wasteland to occupy effort and time to clean up.

Whatever the motivation, what idiotic, partisan short-sightedness. Our elected representatives are *supposed* to be working to the collective good. As a nation the US had better implement--and mighty quick--corrective measures to halt this political Gotterdammerung. I'm somewhat reminded of the raving madness of a certain mid 20th century 'leader' who insisted on the razing of his nation once the realization dawned that the end of his little experiment was nigh. Yes, this comparison stretches to perhaps breaking point, but I'm inclined these days to look to more extreme precedents while groping for understanding in this daily cavalcade of ever astonishing degradation.
The Hair is 71. If he goes out in shame, impeached or kicked to the curb in 2020, what does he have to live for? He's really going to kick back in his twilight years and be happy as a cautionary tail? Is he going back to the Apprentice? Yeah, a failed president mocked openly all over the world hiring people. I'm not sure your comparison is that far off.

There's no love of country or devolution to duty in Donald Trump. This is a job where he gets to stroke his ego and pleasure himself in public. Once that's gone and he's abandoned, yeah I could see him taking the world with him.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 04:41 AM   #27
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

President Donald Trump has suspended the import of elephant hunting trophies, only a day after a ban was relaxed by his administration. He tweeted the change was on hold until he could "review all conservation facts".

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...85146415255552

Quote:
Put big game trophy decision on hold until such time as I review all conservation facts. Under study for years. Will update soon with Secretary Zinke. Thank you!
Old 18th November 2017, 04:49 AM   #28
NoahFence
Suspended

President Donald Trump has suspended the import of elephant hunting trophies, only a day after a ban was relaxed by his administration. He tweeted the change was on hold until he could "review all conservation facts".

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...85146415255552
What a coward
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 05:04 AM   #29
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

There's no love of country or devolution to duty in Donald Trump.
Interesting spell check error?

“We are not Trump; we are Devo.”
Old 18th November 2017, 05:13 AM   #30
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
What a coward
This is what I mean by knee jerk condemnation of anything he does.

How about, “I’m glad he saw the light and reconsidered. Good for him!”
Old 18th November 2017, 05:17 AM   #31
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

I thought yesterday’s most egregious comment was this, concerning the difference between allegations against Franken and those against the president:

"I think in one case specifically Sen. Franken has admitted wrongdoing and the president hasn't," she said. "I think that's a very clear distinction."

Yes. And a very clear distinction between how a responsible human being with a conscience reacts, and, well, Donald Trump.
Old 18th November 2017, 05:20 AM   #32
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

How about "Why the **** did he not "review all conservation facts" before relaxing the ban?".
Old 18th November 2017, 05:25 AM   #33
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Not sure what you mean.
He got talked into relaxing the ban ("Sure thing Junior, no problemo.")... then saw the pushback.

He's a damned windsock.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 18th November 2017 at 05:27 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 05:26 AM   #34
NoahFence
Suspended

I don't believe for a second that he " saw the light"

And for the record, the only time I'm prepared to say "good for him" when referring to scum like trump is when he is dead.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:45 AM   #35
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Not sure what you mean.
He got talked into relaxing the ban ("Sure thing Junior, no problemo.")... then saw the pushback.

He's a damned windsock.
Or it'll turn out that he's got the Trump Org invested in casinos in South Africa, where they do have stringent and verifiable controls on hunting-to-cull and which loses safari business to the Zees because it's so much cheaper in countries that are starving-poor.

It could be something sensible... perhaps someone pointed out that we haven't the slightest idea what the government-in-transition in Zimbabwe is going to be like. I doubt it, but I'd like to hear some follow-up.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 06:51 AM   #36
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
... but I'd like to hear some follow-up.
So would I.

Like most everything a POTUS deals with, it's not a simple issue.
But he deals with them like deciding a breakfast order.

Then changes his mind after the order is in... and complains anyway when his meal arrives.
On Twitter.

God damned man-child.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 18th November 2017 at 06:52 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 07:30 AM   #37
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

It should have never been done in the first place.

Why did he act first and then decide to look into the conservation effects?

Because he's a moron. There is no virtue in doing the right thing only in response to outage.
Old 18th November 2017, 07:39 AM   #38
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
How about "Why the **** did he not "review all conservation facts" before relaxing the ban?".
Who knew that conservation could be so complicated.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 08:10 AM   #39
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting spell check error?

“We are not Trump; we are Devo.”
Yeah, I should be more careful with the auto complete when I'm on the I pad.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 08:14 AM   #40
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

But seeing the light and making an informed decision is what a real president does. There's nothing about him to indicate he makes either principled or informed decisions. He was throwing a bone to his two dogs, and he took face shots from left, right and center so he changed his mind.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics