ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 27th November 2017, 02:44 PM   #361
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Although I strongly suspect that Trump is senile or otherwise mentally ill, I've also come to wonder if instead he is a "plant" by the Russians specifically assigned to destroy the USA, and that he very much understands this is his job.

I am thinking about Trump's endless efforts to divide Americans politically and socially in every way possible, his policy changes that significantly and immediately weaken the USA (such as his attacks on our allies), and his efforts to undercut the longterm future of our society (e.g. attacks on science, education, and technological innovation while supporting 19th century industries such as coal mining). I've tended to see these as Trump just being ideological driven and incredibly stupid. But perhaps it is intentional.

Trump's presidency is exactly what I would ask for if I were Putin. Even Trump's craziness! What better way to throw the USA into powerless disarray than for the President to release a constant stream of bat-crazy, angry, self-conflicting statements that attack his fellow citizens and our democratic institutions and that read like the train of thought of a deeply emotionally disturbed junior high school student?

Ask yourself this: what has Trump done or said that is likely to actually strengthen the USA as a country and as a society? I can only come up with only a few possibilities and the positive impacts of even these actions are quite questionable.

What if he is the "Manchurian Candidate?"
Is my father in law a failed Manchurian candidate? Most of what Trump does his consistent with my relative's thinking on politics.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 02:57 PM   #362
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Although I strongly suspect that Trump is senile or otherwise mentally ill, I've also come to wonder if instead he is a "plant" by the Russians specifically assigned to destroy the USA, and that he very much understands this is his job.

I am thinking about Trump's endless efforts to divide Americans politically and socially in every way possible, his policy changes that significantly and immediately weaken the USA (such as his attacks on our allies), and his efforts to undercut the longterm future of our society (e.g. attacks on science, education, and technological innovation while supporting 19th century industries such as coal mining). I've tended to see these as Trump just being ideological driven and incredibly stupid. But perhaps it is intentional.

Trump's presidency is exactly what I would ask for if I were Putin. Even Trump's craziness! What better way to throw the USA into powerless disarray than for the President to release a constant stream of bat-crazy, angry, self-conflicting statements that attack his fellow citizens and our democratic institutions and that read like the train of thought of a deeply emotionally disturbed junior high school student?

Ask yourself this: what has Trump done or said that is likely to actually strengthen the USA as a country and as a society? I can only come up with only a few possibilities and the positive impacts of even these actions are quite questionable.

You are overthinking it. Trump was an opportunity to destabilize that was easy to access and very effective. They have already achieved their goal with him. The USA is at war with itself and disorganized with its foreign policy.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 03:01 PM   #363
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've thought this too. And then I shiver. I just don't know.
re: The PDJT being a "Manchurian Candidate". The Russians were probably surprised that he actually got elected, and are amazed at the **** they can have him sling at us and still have many people believe it.
Old 27th November 2017, 03:02 PM   #364
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Maybe Trump2017 thinks that Trump2016 is a purveyor of FAKE NEWS.
Pretty much that's how Trump's reality spins along. Whatever reality he imagines for himself becomes the reality in his mind. Actual reality has only a peripheral part to play.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th November 2017 at 03:07 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 03:03 PM   #365
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
News reports that Trump called Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas in front of American Indian code talkers being honored. It was met by an awkward silence. May we live in interesting times!
I watched the clip. Awkward was obvious.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 03:07 PM   #366
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I watched the clip. Awkward was obvious.
He just really is that stupid.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 03:13 PM   #367
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I can't wait until he addresses the Congressional Black Caucus and makes a reference to Aunt Jemima.
Old 27th November 2017, 03:13 PM   #368
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Pretty much that's how Trump's reality spins along. Whatever reality he imagines for himself becomes the reality in his mind. Actual reality has only a peripheral part to play.
I've thought that for a long time. I'm guessing that if your self-worth is so fragile that you can't admit to ever being slightly wrong, then the only way to not spiral into a gibbering heap over the inevitable* mistakes is to convince yourself of the lies that you tell others.

Why else lie about things that are so easy to disprove?

(I'm not arguing with you, just riffing on your statement)

*face it, hard as you might find it to believe, even I make mistakes, but they're all unimportant and not really my fault
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 03:15 PM   #369
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Trump remark's vis a vis the Code Talkers were made in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson,the man behind the Trail of Tears. Nice......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 03:46 PM   #370
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's been an idiosyncratic egomaniac since at least the 1980s. Long before Putin came to any power at all.

He is just not the kind of personality that would play to someone else's playbook happily and voluntarily.

So the only way would be to force him somehow. Perhaps Putin can destroy all his wealth with a wave of his hand?
But then, Trump would have a very strong ace on his hand: He would know the Russian shenanigans, and could always blow the whistle, and return the pie to Russia's face.

Or do you suppose he is literally being remote controlled unconsciously, brainwashed? Robotrump? Ahem, that's science fiction. The CT-subforum is elsewhere.

Manchurian Candidate is not how one country manipulates another. The game is far more subtle, vague, psychological, diplomatic, and fun.

Assuming the Russians were active to increase Trump's chances at the booth, they did so because he was very obviously the least competent and most devisive candidate. Who brought into the administration scores of more incompetent nutcases that are easily played.

The Russians surely did not plan all that.
But they's be stupid if they didn't make best use of the situation as it unfolds.
Old 27th November 2017, 04:14 PM   #371
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He just really is that racist and stupid.
FTFY.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 04:50 PM   #372
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And Trump remark's vis a vis the Code Talkers were made in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson,the man behind the Trail of Tears. Nice......
In a real presidential administration there are competent people who prevent these things. Allowing the ceremony to be staged like it was is more proof that only idiots and traitors are in this administration. For all my issues with the Clinton and Bush presidencies, I suspect that there were still people smart enough and loyal enough to our values to avoid this level of national embarrassment. To allow this to happen means his staff is too stupid to understand the significance or they're dirty bigots and they don't care.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 04:50 PM   #373
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

He can't even get his own right-wing meme right. I'm uneasy in setting a new record for cringe every few weeks.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 05:22 PM   #374
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

How a bigot might refer to somebody: Pocahontas

How a narcissistic bigot might say it: I call her Pocahontas

Not unlike a toddler expressing great pride of their full diaper.
Old 27th November 2017, 06:17 PM   #375
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Probably not. But then... does it matter ? In a recent opinion poll he was elected as President, even though the tapes where already in the public domain ?
Kind sir, that just isn't so.

He was indeed elected per the law of the land. That has ****-all to do with an opinion poll. Indeed, and not that this matters, but the popular vote is closer to the notion of an opinion poll and Trump lost that.

Nonetheless, he's our lawfully elected president. God help us.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 06:37 PM   #376
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I can't wait until he addresses the Congressional Black Caucus and makes a reference to Aunt Jemima.
And on that I bring out a story of my youth..........In 1949/50 one of my favorite things to eat was Aunt Jemima pancakes with Aunt Jemima Maple Syrup (which was actual maple syrup back then). I loved Aunt Jemima. Sooooooooooo:

One fine day my mom needed to pick up (iirc) some music for her piano students and for the club she played at. As we were walking down the street, right in front of me coming out of a store was the lady herself - so I yelled out
"It's Aunt Jemima mom - she's right there!!!"

Unfortunately - as I was told later -it was not her and the lady was not amused. But she certainly made my day!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 06:39 PM   #377
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
And Uncle Ben, Uncle Tom, Topsy, Rastus et al. The black people he knows best!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 07:03 PM   #378
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
And Uncle Ben, Uncle Tom, Topsy, Rastus et al. The black people he knows best!!!
Buckwheat

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 07:33 PM   #379
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You are overthinking it. Trump was an opportunity to destabilize that was easy to access and very effective. They have already achieved their goal with him. The USA is at war with itself and disorganized with its foreign policy.
YES!
I am of the belief, and I'm sure the vast majority of those on here believe this as well, that Russia wanted Trump to win (and quite possibly helped him) because they knew it would be quite the cluster eff with him in the Oval.

Either that or Andy Kaufman isn't dead and this is a massive joke on us.
Old 27th November 2017, 07:52 PM   #380
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

This is all rubbish.

[Rubbish snipped.]
Quite.
Old 27th November 2017, 08:25 PM   #381
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Not unlike a toddler expressing great pride of their full diaper.
He said that THEY call her Pocahontas. So, he's just informing the codetalkers that most of the Senate are racist........
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 08:38 PM   #382
The_Animus
Master Poster

Thank you for being smug, condescending and insulting. Where you by any chance a Hillary supporter ?

Now, which part of my post was factually wrong ?
No more than your own post. And no, not a Clinton supporter. Though even if I were it wouldn't be relevant.

Others have already addressed the issues. What is to be gained by me repeating them?

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.

Last edited by The_Animus; 27th November 2017 at 08:40 PM.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 10:19 PM   #383
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He said that THEY call her Pocahontas.
How a narcissistic, cowardly bigot who won't even own what he originated might say it: They call her Pocahontas...
Old 27th November 2017, 10:21 PM   #384
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
No more than your own post. And no, not a Clinton supporter. Though even if I were it wouldn't be relevant.

Others have already addressed the issues. What is to be gained by me repeating them?
The doublethink is astounding on this 'issue' as well. Trump supporters simultaneous like Trump because he's not PC and 'tells it like it is', while telling liberals and progressives they are too rude and condescending to win. Even the 'big thinkers' on these boards who supported Trump repeatedly argue this.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 11:32 PM   #385
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Only read the first line of this, but I feel competent that I understand the concept well, certainly better than anyone else on this forum.
Old 27th November 2017, 11:53 PM   #386
Civet
Graduate Poster

I think a plant would be a bit more polished and consistent. The lies would be more coherent, things like The Mooch Affair wouldn't happen. One of the defining Trump moments for me was that bizarre time that he described what he thought health insurance was. It wasn't dishonesty or treason, it was just a staggering level of inadequacy.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 11:57 PM   #387
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm not a health professional and refuse to speculate about Trump's mental health. That said, he is beyond a doubt, the all time biggest liar of any US politician that I can ever recall or have ever read about. And he wins that title by a mile.

It's not just the quantity, which is staggering ,but the willingness to do it in spite of the overwhelming evidence.
Oh I dunno... do you recall "I never had relations with that woman" ?
Actually, there's quite an interesting list here....
https://www.alternet.org/culture/7-b...ential-history

Perhaps it needs updating ?
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 12:34 AM   #388
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

None of those even come close to Trump's performance so far, and he's only just begun. Trump is pathological. He developed his used-car salesman act as a young man and it became part of him, becoming more ingrained and intensifying.

In that 298-day period, the president has made 1,628 false or misleading claims.
The president is on track to make 1,999 false or misleading claims by the time he reaches the one-year mark in office.

It doesn't look like you've thought about this very much.
Old 28th November 2017, 12:39 AM   #389
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Not even close.

The sheer volume of lies spewing out of President Trump's mouth, often about the most inconsequential and/or easily disprovable things has him in a class of his own. Sure politicians (and most if not all other human beings) lie on a regular basis but those lies are often some combination of being economical with the truth (I didn't strangle a hooker - I stabbed one), putting a very particular spin on some news (Good economic news, the number of firms going bankrupt has fallen - because there are so few firms still in business or having very specific and personal definitions of well known words or phrases (I did not steal that money - I took a long-term zero percent loan in which the principal never needs repaying, without the other party's knowledge. When caught in an outright lie, other politicians at least usually correct their narrative and/or show some kind of contrition.

President Trump is in a whole other league. He tells absolute whoppers and when presented with clear and unambiguous evidence to the contrary simply calls it #FakeNews and doubles down.

Last edited by The Don; 28th November 2017 at 12:40 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 12:41 AM   #390
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Why are there so many Trump Trolls at every forum in the internet?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 12:44 AM   #391
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He just really is that stupid.

I agree! Trump is really that stupid. After all, Trump didn't know that Israel was in the Middle East. What a mess he has made in Washington D.C. in 2017. No wonder his approval rating is in the basement.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 12:56 AM   #392
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
I agree! Trump is really that stupid. After all, Trump didn't know that Israel was in the Middle East. What a mess he has made in Washington D.C. in 2017. No wonder his approval rating is in the basement.
Except it really isn't. Among Republicans it's comfortably over 80% and has been for the vast majority of his Presidency.

That, combined with various forms of voter suppression either deliberate (through purging of rolls or making it really hard for people in some neighbourhoods to vote) or collateral (by sickening people so that they don't bother to turn out) means that IMO he has around a 50/50 chance of being reelected if he chooses to stand in 2020.

Enough of the US electorate simply don't care that he's an ignorant, racist, liar or actively support him because he is one or more of those things.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 12:59 AM   #393
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I'm afraid Don is correct. If they GOP has learned anything from the 2017 elections, it's that they need to rig the elections even more.
Old 28th November 2017, 01:19 AM   #394
Stacyhs
Master Poster

Trump is not a Russian plant...he was just the perfect tool for them to achieve what they cannot do militarily. His extreme narcissism, fragile ego, lack of self-control, emotional immaturity, and lack of political savviness were exactly the traits that would result in massive social divisiveness and political turmoil in the US. For Russia, Trump is the gift that keeps on giving.

As to whether Trump is a pathological liar or simply lives in his own reality believing whatever suits him at the time, only a mental health professional could say. But I do suspect something is going on with his mental faculties. His descriptive vocabulary is limited and childlike; everything he doesn't like is a "great/huge disaster". "Very" is his favorite descriptive word, often repeated several times as in "It's very bad, very, very bad." He repeats himself endlessly as if he can't formulate a new thought quickly enough. For example, in regards to something written in The NY Times he said "“That’s wrong. They were wrong. It’s The New York Times, they’re always wrong. They were wrong.”

Whatever a psychologist might say about his mental state, one thing is very clear; regardless of whether your politics are liberal or conservative, compared to Obama's class and intellectual abilities , Trump comes across as an uncouth and ignorant buffoon.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 01:48 AM   #395
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Then again, news or Wikipedia are made available more and more in Simple English for reasons! Maybe Trump speaks Simple English to reach the 100 million that Obama never could reach because his words were too big, very bigly?
Old 28th November 2017, 02:07 AM   #396
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

I found a Cracked article (which is old), which gave me a little bit more insight into the minds of some Trump voters. This might not be what you expect it to be. There is some food for thought.

The author raises a few points. People often root for rule-breakers. Rural america is feeling hurt. There's a clear disconnect between city/rural thinking. Other things.
Old 28th November 2017, 02:24 AM   #397
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post

I wonder if Trump knows who the Tuskegee Airmen were and the huge difference they made during World War II or knows of the 761st Tank Battalion, which has been called "one of the most effective tank battalions in World War II. They were black combat units in addition to the "Triple Nickles."

Trump's racist comment today proves just how unfit he is to be president, not to forget that he is also an idiot, a moron, liar and let's not forget how he bragged about what he has done, and can do, to women.

Last edited by skyeagle409; 28th November 2017 at 02:25 AM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 02:57 AM   #398
fagin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I found a Cracked article (which is old), which gave me a little bit more insight into the minds of some Trump voters. This might not be what you expect it to be. There is some food for thought.

The author raises a few points. People often root for rule-breakers. Rural america is feeling hurt. There's a clear disconnect between city/rural thinking. Other things.
Weirdly insightful. (Although humourists often are.)
Old 28th November 2017, 04:19 AM   #399
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He wouldn't want his supporters to think he has gotten soft on the lesser races.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 04:25 AM   #400
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

And they like how he isn't afraid to publicly hate the same people they do. That is what gets him so many votes.

And the new york times shows why you can't simply denounce Nazi's because they are the police guy next door. Being tied to nice guys like him is just not a negative in rural america.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/25/u...tionalist.html

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 28th November 2017 at 04:27 AM.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics