ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 18th November 2017, 06:54 PM   #81
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
There's the rub.

I'm concerned that Donald's tough guy act will push Lil' Kim into action.
Then, launching our own would not be illegal or overly severe.

But it would still be, arguably, Donald's fault.

I have zero belief that Trump wants to fire the missiles. It's a deterrent and he knows that.
But it's a terrible corner that he could paint himself into.
Do you not remember in his campaign how he asked why couldn't the USA use nuclear weapons?
Old 18th November 2017, 07:16 PM   #82
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Do you not remember in his campaign how he asked why couldn't the USA use nuclear weapons?

I remember a lot of stupid things he's said.

The only way to sleep at night is to realize how few he actually believes.

(But yes... you're right. That's a good example of some of the scarier crap he's spewed.)

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 08:02 PM   #83
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
This is what I've been curious about.
What was the end-game? Why relax the ban? What's the rationale?

I sure hope it just isn't that "My sons like to hunt elephants"...
I'm pretty sure that was the original reason. Then he belated learned about Donnie's embarrassing contacts with Russia and changed his mind.
Old 18th November 2017, 08:24 PM   #84
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't know that there are such people, but if there were...

...Trump probably already knows them.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 09:26 PM   #85
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

I have zero belief that Trump wants to fire the missiles. It's a deterrent and he knows that.

<snip>

You're talking about the guy who asked what good nukes were if we didn't use them.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:52 PM   #86
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You're talking about the guy who asked what good nukes were if we didn't use them.

Is there an echo in here?

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 10:00 PM   #87
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Why? He only said he wouldn't follow an illegal order, which is the credo in the armed services anyway. It appears Trump has the legal power to decide to use nuclear weapons, therefore Hyten would not be following an illegal order if Trump decided to use nuclear weapons.

And who decides what a legal order is, anyway? Does he have a list? Does he say, "Wait, I have to go and consult with my legal team?

You're right. Trump has the power.

And if he refuses, at that moment it doesn't even matter if the order is eventually deemed legal or not, because at that moment he is clearly guilty of refusing to obey a direct order.

His justification for doing that that gets adjudicated later. At that moment he is wrong, and someone else will take his place.

Until someone who does follow a direct order turns up.
Old 19th November 2017, 12:40 AM   #88
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

And who decides what a legal order is, anyway? Does he have a list? Does he say, "Wait, I have to go and consult with my legal team?

And if he refuses, at that moment it doesn't even matter if the order is eventually deemed legal or not, because at that moment he is clearly guilty of refusing to obey a direct order.

His justification for doing that that gets adjudicated later. At that moment he is wrong, and someone else will take his place.

This is exactly why we need specific rules of nuclear engagement which personnel would indeed be responsible for knowing. I don't think there's much hope of getting "no first strikes" on the list, but it's insane to leave that kind of decision up to one guy.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 02:04 AM   #89
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Trump authorized the use of the MOAB in Afghanistan where it made zero tactical sense and only minor strategic sense for some "shock and awe".

Trump might send a "tactical" nuke somewhere just because Obama never dared to.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 02:14 AM   #90
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He promised to reverse all the decisions made by Obama.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 07:25 AM   #91
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

That's really all that matters to him. His offer to change Denali back to Mt. McKinley is another example. Petty vindictiveness as far as the eye can see.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 08:19 AM   #92
C_Felix
Master Poster

I would love to see the poo storm if our commander-in-ept overturns this order:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/wayne..._12639760.html
Old 19th November 2017, 09:06 AM   #93
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Family Business Worth A Fraction Of What President Has Touted

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b045cf4371dfde

Some of the discrepancy is due to a downturn in business, but the rest is credited to an overheated imagination, according to Crain’s New York Business reporter Aaron Elstein, who examined the numbers.

In 2016 the Trump Organization reported nearly $9.5 billion in revenues. But recent public filings by the president indicate that the company actually earned only as much as $700 million that year, Crain’s said.

Crain’s this month bounced the Trump Organization from the No. 3 spot on its list of largest privately held New York City companies down to No. 40.

down an astonishing 92 places (to No. 248), in Forbes’ rankings of richest men in America.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 11:05 AM   #94
Stacko
Philosopher

Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!
His limitless childishness is still surprising.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 11:43 AM   #95
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Why? He only said he wouldn't follow an illegal order, which is the credo in the armed services anyway. It appears Trump has the legal power to decide to use nuclear weapons, therefore Hyten would not be following an illegal order if Trump decided to use nuclear weapons.
This is of course clearly FALSE. Trump has the command authority. That does not mean that any use of that authority is ipso facto legal. If Trump orders nuklear strikes on San Francisco and Boston, that would of course be illegal. Similarly, unilateral attacks on foreign powers are illegal. Genocide is illegal.

Hyten certainly implies that some conceivable orders by Trump can be illegal.
Old 19th November 2017, 11:50 AM   #96
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I am actually pretty certain that they have something like lists. At that strategic command level, it is highly important to understand the legal implications of big military decisions, and the military typically plans ahead of time for many conceivable future situations.

A soldier, particularly an officer, can also be guilty of obeying orders: When the order is clearly illegal. You see, "I was following orders" was the standard defense of Nazi criminals. The Nuremberg trials established the principle that this is no defense, iow that orders must be disobeyed if it constitutes a war crime or a crime against humanity.

This is of course a possibility. But I am not sure about the efficacy of new hirees in that particular job. The procedures to program and launch nukes require training. Trump's usual arse-lickers are incompetent. It's doubtful they'll actually manage to get any nuke out before the plan is spoiled and revolution removes Trump from office.
Old 19th November 2017, 12:17 PM   #97
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I am actually pretty certain that they have something like lists. At that strategic command level, it is highly important to understand the legal implications of big military decisions, and the military typically plans ahead of time for many conceivable future situations.

A soldier, particularly an officer, can also be guilty of obeying orders: When the order is clearly illegal. You see, "I was following orders" was the standard defense of Nazi criminals. The Nuremberg trials established the principle that this is no defense, iow that orders must be disobeyed if it constitutes a war crime or a crime against humanity.

This is of course a possibility. But I am not sure about the efficacy of new hirees in that particular job. The procedures to program and launch nukes require training. Trump's usual arse-lickers are incompetent. It's doubtful they'll actually manage to get any nuke out before the plan is spoiled and revolution removes Trump from office.
Your answers should be here:

https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Comma.../dp/1137495804

The crux: what makes a command lawful? Note that U.S. law may differ from Law of War.
Old 19th November 2017, 12:40 PM   #98
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post

The crux: what makes a command lawful? Note that U.S. law may differ from Law of War.
Perhaps it does, but it may not (I am pretty sure it doesn't: International treaties that the USA is a party of are supreme law of the land as per the constitution; customary international law applies regardless of whether or how it is reflected in national law. Interpretations vary and change, of course. And enforceability is a whole nuther can-o-worms).
Old 19th November 2017, 01:41 PM   #99
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

LOL.

You link to a $112 retail scholarly monograph, with nary a synopsis or comment on the content.
I don't see how that was helpful. Was it meant to be dismissive?

Old 19th November 2017, 01:50 PM   #100
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Did he do it because getting them out was the right thing to do or for the praise he was expecting to follow?
Old 19th November 2017, 02:37 PM   #101
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Did he do it because getting them out was the right thing to do or for the praise he was expecting to follow?
Well, he got the thanks from all three players. It's one of the fathers who appeared ungrateful, so The PDJT had to hit back. Prick.
Old 19th November 2017, 02:45 PM   #102
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Maybe that's all they can hit.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 05:37 PM   #103
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

LOL.

You link to a $112 retail scholarly monograph, with nary a synopsis or comment on the content.
I don't see how that was helpful. Was it meant to be dismissive?
Not all answers can be found outside a paywall.

If you want, I could dig through all my National Security Decision Making classwork, which is somewhere in a box in my crawlspace. Be patient, it will take time.

Or you could dig through Google Scholar.

IANAL.
Old 19th November 2017, 05:42 PM   #104
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Not all answers can be found outside a paywall.

If you want, I could dig through all my National Security Decision Making classwork, which is somewhere in a box in my crawlspace. Be patient, it will take time.

Or you could dig through Google Scholar.

IANAL.

Saying you have applicable knowledge of the topic just makes it worse.

Old 19th November 2017, 06:20 PM   #105
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Saying you have applicable knowledge of the topic just makes it worse.
Way back in the hazy past (6-7 years ago plus a memory dump). I've gotten a graduate degree in an entirely different subject since then and did only a year of Joint work since the JPME phase 1. I searched what I could online and the best I could find was that pricey reference.
Old 19th November 2017, 06:24 PM   #106
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I think leaving them there for trial and punishment was the right thing to do.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 07:54 PM   #107
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I think leaving them there for trial and punishment was the right thing to do.
I agree with that.
Old 19th November 2017, 08:33 PM   #108
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Way back in the hazy past (6-7 years ago plus a memory dump). I've gotten a graduate degree in an entirely different subject since then and did only a year of Joint work since the JPME phase 1. I searched what I could online and the best I could find was that pricey reference.
More direct sources:

JP 1-04 Legal Support to Military Operations
(Basically, an order can be considered legal for course of action determination if your staff Judge Advocate says so)

Guidance for Law of War:
DODD 2311.01E, DOD Law of War Program
Old 19th November 2017, 08:49 PM   #109
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Attached: what I had to dig through just to get a couple of links.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171119_213503.jpg (134.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 19th November 2017, 08:55 PM   #110
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Attached: what I had to dig through just to get a couple of links.

Can you maybe spare us the useless humble-brags?
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2017, 09:12 PM   #111
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Can you maybe spare us the useless humble-brags?
No, because I also have outstanding physical prowess, am a cover model, and can do the Kessel Run in less than twelve Parsecs, and I want to make sure you know that.
Old 20th November 2017, 03:54 AM   #112
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Quote:
Sen. Jeff Flake(y), who is unelectable in the Great State of Arizona (quit race, anemic polls) was caught (purposely) on “mike” saying bad things about your favorite President. He’ll be a NO on tax cuts because his political career anyway is “toast.”
A few things.

1) The favorite president is Barack Obama, whose shoes you aren't fit to shine, and will never fill.

2) It's 'mic,' which is the thing you were wearing when you bragged about sexually assaulting women.

3) You are an idiot.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...88590344196096

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 20th November 2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 20th November 2017, 03:56 AM   #113
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This one is a doozy

Quote:
Shoplifting is a very big deal in China, as it should be (5-10 years in jail), but not to father LaVar. Should have gotten his son out during my next trip to China instead. China told them why they were released. Very ungrateful!
Seems you get second class service if you don't praise him.
Old 20th November 2017, 04:00 AM   #114
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He tweeted on the trophy hunting again but it hasn't made his position any clearer.

Quote:
Big-game trophy decision will be announced next week but will be very hard pressed to change my mind that this horror show in any way helps conservation of Elephants or any other animal.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...97369655808001
Old 20th November 2017, 04:02 AM   #115
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He tweeted on the trophy hunting again but it hasn't made his position any clearer.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...97369655808001
It's almost as if forgot he was the one who decided last week to allow the "horror show".
Old 20th November 2017, 04:09 AM   #116
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It's almost as if forgot he was the one who decided last week to allow the "horror show".
He probably did forget. He's not right in the head.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 04:16 AM   #117
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Border Patrol Officer killed at Southern Border, another badly hurt. We will seek out and bring to justice those responsible. We will, and must, build the Wall!
Surely this is the time for 'thoughts and prayers' not exploiting deaths for politics. Doesn't he claim to be offended by that?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...20488642617344
Old 20th November 2017, 04:30 AM   #118
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Hyten would be the one Trump would take the action unilaterally through. He is the next step in the execution of an order to fire.

Trump would need to fire him first, and have the next person in line take over.
Except that it does not touch on what is an illegal order. Is ordering the nuking of say any of Syria, Iran or North Korea considered an illegal order? Certainly ording conventional strikes is perfectly legal on all such targets.

Also there is the point that not all orders go through him, if at say 12:30 on a tuesday after a twitter exchange with Kim Jong Un he decides to launch nukes at north korea, he does not go through the commander of the nuclear forces, it would go through the current duty officer. As attacking north korea is a legal order is would be carried out.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 04:33 AM   #119
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Way to completely misrepresent what you quoted in your own post.

Do posters here really think that there are people Trump could hire that would launch nukes at his whim without any forethought? You watch too much TV or something. This is ridiculous but it makes great news!
Trump doesn't need to hire them, the military has been making sure that orders originating from the president are never questioned for decades. The only checks on nuclear attacks are that the order comes from the president. Even asking about checks on the presidents authority to order nuclear attacks for any reason is enough to get to kicked out of the military.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...clear_age.html
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 04:39 AM   #120
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
This is of course clearly FALSE. Trump has the command authority. That does not mean that any use of that authority is ipso facto legal. If Trump orders nuklear strikes on San Francisco and Boston, that would of course be illegal. Similarly, unilateral attacks on foreign powers are illegal. Genocide is illegal.
So his ordering of air strikes against syria earlier this year would be illegal? You certainly seem to be the first person to seriously suggest that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics