ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th November 2017, 03:07 PM   #161
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Just saw a clip of Kellyanne from this morning.
Sounded raspy, is she about to lose her voice?

Has she been screeching too much lately?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 04:04 PM   #162
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump's sham charity admits to self dealing and is shutting down.

Quote:
"The foundation announced its intent to dissolve and is seeking approval to distribute its remaining funds" to other charities, according to its 2016 Internal Revenue Service filing, filed this month and uploaded to the website of charity watchdog Guidestar.org by the foundation.

In its previous tax filing in 2015, the foundation acknowledged violating a legal prohibition against a "self-dealing" rule barring nonprofit leaders from funneling their charity's money to themselves, their businesses or their families.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 04:54 PM   #163
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

About freakin' time.

The man is just a giant walking pile of projection.
It seems every damn thing he tars anyone with can be found, in abundance, in his own dealings.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 05:47 PM   #164
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Any provisions of those that violate the constitution or have been even inadvertently superceded by later US law are void. The policy appears to be they will adhere to any technically voided portions.
Quite the contrary: The constitution stipulates explicitly that Treaties with foreign power that Congress enters into are Supreme Law of the Land.
Old 20th November 2017, 05:51 PM   #165
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I repeat, that's not the way it works. See above. The senior military leadership -- let alone their legal advisers -- is not part of the chain of command. The President opens the football, picks the targets, and issues the launch orders. It happens in minutes unless somebody literally tackles him. That's what some in Congress are trying to change.
In the meantime, the officers that are on the receiving end of the football hopefully have already considered disobeying Trump. There is an obvious and serious hole in the security structure of the nation, and that hole resides inside the brain of the POTUS, and it needs outside fixing.
Old 20th November 2017, 05:52 PM   #166
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Quite the contrary: The constitution stipulates explicitly that Treaties with foreign power that Congress enters into are Supreme Law of the Land.
I will let Wikipedia explain it

Quote:
American law is that international accords become part of the body of U.S. federal law.[1] Consequently, Congress can modify or repeal treaties by subsequent legislative action, even if this amounts to a violation of the treaty under international law. This was held, for instance, in the Head Money Cases. The most recent changes will be enforced by U.S. courts entirely independent of whether the international community still considers the old treaty obligations binding upon the U.S.[1]

Additionally, an international accord that is inconsistent with the U.S. Constitution is void under domestic U.S. law, the same as any other federal law in conflict with the Constitution. This principle was most clearly established in the case of Reid v. Covert.[9] The Supreme Court could rule an Article II treaty provision to be unconstitutional and void under domestic law, although it has not yet done so.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 05:52 PM   #167
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Just saw a clip of Kellyanne from this morning.
Sounded raspy, is she about to lose her voice?

Has she been screeching too much lately?
The sheer stress of having to endure extreme cognitive dissonance every damned minute of every damned day can wear a person out.
Old 20th November 2017, 05:58 PM   #168
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

The sheer stress of having to endure extreme cognitive dissonance every damned minute of every damned day can wear a person out.

I caught a snippet of Sarah sidestepping (what else) a question about a Kellyanne statement of a WH position.
I didn't catch what KC had said, but I presume it was about Moore and Alabama*.

I just love how "on the same page" this admin is.

*eta: Ah... it was KC saying, in essence, an accused predator is preferable to a Democrat. That's just lovely.
(I just flashed on how that applies to Trump himself.)

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 20th November 2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 20th November 2017, 07:34 PM   #169
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

The Law of War. Which consists of Treaty Law and customary international law.

I already cited http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp1_04.pdf
Page 11:

This, issued by the JCS, makes clear that ALL military operations follow the law of war in general, and that specifically orders that are militarily unnecessary, inhuman, indistinct or disproportionate violate the Law of War.
The policy provisions to focus on are the line between the National Command Authority directly to the Combatant Commanders. JCS is advisory.
Old 20th November 2017, 08:22 PM   #170
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I really don't know how Obama has managed to not troll Trump....
"They go low, we go high."
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 08:25 PM   #171
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

How's that SCOTUS ratio lookin' ?

Old 20th November 2017, 09:16 PM   #172
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I guess the high road includes pablum.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 09:53 PM   #173
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
How's that SCOTUS ratio lookin' ?
It's horrid. I didn't say this is what I wanted Obama to do, just that it explains why they've been quiet.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 10:23 AM   #174
C_Felix
Master Poster

Whenever a friend of mine posts something anti-Trump on Facebook, or takes a gentle swipe at him...I've come up with a standard reply.

"You dumb bastard! You forgot about her e-mails!"
Old 21st November 2017, 02:15 PM   #175
Stacko
Philosopher

Would you still consider voting for a candidate accused of sexual harassment by multiple women? (via new @QuinnipiacPoll)

Democrats
Yes 12%
No 81%

Republicans
Yes 43%
No 41%
The transformation of the GOP to accommodate Trump is truly grotesque.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 02:18 PM   #176
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That percentage of republicans is way to low. Look at how many voted for Trump. It needs to be more like 95% yes.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 02:27 PM   #177
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That percentage of republicans is way to low. Look at how many voted for Trump. It needs to be more like 95% yes.
Some of them are in denial about the existence of the accusations.
Old 21st November 2017, 02:38 PM   #178
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/politi...ama/index.html

And The Hair comes out as pro pedophile.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 02:58 PM   #179
Civet
Graduate Poster

Truth be told, given the phrasing of the question, I'd answer yes myself. That said, I see that Trump has chosen to weigh in on the Roy Moore race. Yet another situation where Trump would have been better off simply saying and doing nothing at all but he just can't help himself.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 03:12 PM   #180
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump working to sabotage the 2020 census:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1e8a9221b260
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...s-alarm-252571
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 08:45 PM   #181
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

If they've learned anything from the elections this month, they've learned they need to rig the system even more.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2017, 09:18 PM   #182
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/politi...ama/index.html

And The Hair comes out as pro pedophile.
Jones is not only not against the Second Amendment, he also earned his reputation for being strong against crime when he successfully prosecuted the two remaining church bombers that killed three 14 yr old and one 11 yr old girls in Birmingham in '63.

Moore has voted against the prosecution in a number of cases involving men convicted of assaulting young women and girls, and Moore has been accused of chasing teen sex when he was in his 30s including trying to have sex with a 14 yr old.

Yet Trump paints Moore as the saint and claims Jones is weak on crime and against the Second Amendment. It's truly sad.

Then there is this crap (which was already posted above, sorry): Trump appoints head of the 2020 Census who wrote a book on why gerrymandering is a good thing.
Quote:
Leading Trump Census pick causes alarm - The 2020 count might be put in the hands of an inexperienced professor who wrote that 'Competitive Elections are Bad for America.'

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st November 2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 21st November 2017, 09:19 PM   #183
phiwum
Philosopher

Maybe it's the logician in me, but I would have to answer yes to this. I would consider voting for such a candidate. First, I could imagine that even multiple allegations were not credible (though that would be very rare). Second, I could imagine certain circumstances when the alternative candidate was so horrid that I might just hold my nose and vote for someone accused of horrible things like this.

So, yes, I would consider the situation. In the overwhelming majority of cases, however, the consideration would be brief and I wouldn't vote for such a person.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:20 AM   #184
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
If they've learned anything from the elections this month, they've learned they need to rig the system even more.
Rachel Maddow had a segment on this tonight with some good background on the Republican REDMAP gerrymandering project in 2012. Its most noticeable success has been in Michigan where gerrymandering meant that in the last House elections, Republicans got a quarter-million fewer votes in state-wide totals, but ended up with 9 representatives vs. 5 for Democrats. In this month's Virginia elections, Democrats won by convincing 10 points in state-wide totals, but because of gerrymandering, Republicans may still maintain house control, depending on the outcome of one contested seat. This is far beyond "thumb on the scale" stuff; what Republicans are doing is a flat-out assault on democracy.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:32 AM   #185
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. Republicans understand that they can't get voters to pick them, so they have decided they'll pick who votes instead.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 04:04 AM   #186
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That is important to properly rig the elections.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 04:06 AM   #187
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Jones is not only not against the Second Amendment, he also earned his reputation for being strong against crime when he successfully prosecuted the two remaining church bombers that killed three 14 yr old and one 11 yr old girls in Birmingham in '63.
Because that wasn't a crime that was a noble act defending the white race to Alabamans of course. The bombing is a proud moment in their history and he tarnished it by punishing the heroes.
Old 22nd November 2017, 04:15 AM   #188
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Seems Trump supporters are tweeting mean things at LeVar Burton because they think he is the father of the basketball player Trump supposedly got released from China.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/rea...hes-lavar-ball
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:06 AM   #189
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Rachel Maddow had a segment on this tonight with some good background on the Republican REDMAP gerrymandering project in 2012. Its most noticeable success has been in Michigan where gerrymandering meant that in the last House elections, Republicans got a quarter-million fewer votes in state-wide totals, but ended up with 9 representatives vs. 5 for Democrats. In this month's Virginia elections, Democrats won by convincing 10 points in state-wide totals, but because of gerrymandering, Republicans may still maintain house control, depending on the outcome of one contested seat. This is far beyond "thumb on the scale" stuff; what Republicans are doing is a flat-out assault on democracy.
What do you Americans plan to do about this? This is banana-republic level of abuse of the system.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:17 AM   #190
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That is important to properly rig the elections.
Sounds like the exact opposite. Rigging elections would be easier with good data.
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:18 AM   #191
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
What do you Americans plan to do about this? This is banana-republic level of abuse of the system.
Real Americas are all for it.
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:02 AM   #192
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Sounds like the exact opposite. Rigging elections would be easier with good data.
Indeed.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:29 AM   #193
Bob001
Philosopher

More on Trump and nukes:
Quote:
If President Trump wants to use one of the thousands of nuclear weapons in the U.S. military’s arsenal, the chance of anyone stopping him appears to be very low.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.718d61958af1
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:30 AM   #194
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Quote:
"It wasn't the White House, it wasn't the State Department, it wasn't father LaVar's so-called people on the ground in China that got his son out of a long term prison sentence - IT WAS ME. Too bad! LaVar is just a poor man's version of Don King, but without the hair. Just think LaVar, you could have spent the next 5 to 10 years during Thanksgiving with your son in China, but no NBA contract to support you. But remember LaVar, shoplifting is NOT a little thing. It's a really big deal, especially in China. Ungrateful fool!"
Thanks, Trump voters.
THIS is the president of the united states.
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:38 AM   #195
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Recent Tweet
Quote:
Will be having meetings and working the phones from the Winter White House in Florida (Mar-a-Lago)
Winter Whitehouse?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:41 AM   #196
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Recent Tweet

Winter Whitehouse?
That's what Mar-a-lago has been nicknamed by various people since January.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:47 AM   #197
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Seems Trump supporters are tweeting mean things at LeVar Burton because they think he is the father of the basketball player Trump supposedly got released from China.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/rea...hes-lavar-ball
Really? Really? LeVar Freaking Burton? Who the hell could make THAT mistake. Wowzah...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:51 AM   #198
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Really? Really? LeVar Freaking Burton? Who the hell could make THAT mistake. Wowzah...
All black people look alike and they have the same first name, so....
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:00 AM   #199
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Thanks, Trump voters.
THIS is the president of the united states.
He has a real problem with black people.
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:02 AM   #200
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
All black people look alike and they have the same first name, so....
Well, kinda.. LeVar v. LaVar...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics