ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 22nd November 2017, 09:05 AM   #201
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Well, kinda.. LeVar v. LaVar...

Close enough. This wouldn’t have happened if they had proper American names like Donald or Barron.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:07 AM   #202
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Is gorsuch recusing himself on that one?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:12 AM   #203
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

As I said, same name
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:17 AM   #204
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Really? Really? LeVar Freaking Burton? Who the hell could make THAT mistake. Wowzah...
Brent Spiner had a little fun with that, tweeting to Burton-
Quote:
If you cared about our President, you’d change your name.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:32 AM   #205
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
What do you Americans plan to do about this? This is banana-republic level of abuse of the system.
Well, in Michigan, there's a grassroots petition drive to add a measure on the ballot to make gerrymandering illegal. Maybe that will catch on. In any case, any solution needs to be at the individual state level, so hopefully Democrats have learned they can't afford to ignore state elections even in red states.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:17 AM   #206
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Really? Really? LeVar Freaking Burton? Who the hell could make THAT mistake. Wowzah...
Well, you're talking about Trump supporters, who tend to live in a world of "alternative facts". (i.e. low information voters.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:03 AM   #207
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
That's what Mar-a-lago has been nicknamed by various people since January.
Well, the Tsar had a Winter palace and the Queen goes off to Sandringham for Christmas so Trump doesn't want to feel out done.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:42 AM   #208
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Well, theTTsar had a Winter palace and the Queen goes off to Sandringham for Christmas so Trump doesn't want to feel out done.
The Winter Palace reference is what I got. the day Housekeeping rises up History will be made, and lets hope it gets messy.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:19 PM   #209
chrispy
Critical Thinker

As I said, same name
Ah, gotcha. Sarcasm meter recalibrated.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:49 PM   #210
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

The hair’s staff are lying about him having a hard day at work, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...iving-meetings
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 03:09 PM   #211
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Well, you're talking about Trump supporters, who tend to live in a world of "alternative facts". (i.e. low information voters.)

I remain confident that real reality, true to form, will eventually pry the Trumpkins' alternate realities from their cold, dead fingers.

But realistically, we can't afford to wait that long. Their asses need to be voted down.

Last edited by Toontown; 22nd November 2017 at 03:23 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:59 AM   #212
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Now that Trump and his tweets are the center of the known universe for America, quietly the US is being pushed to the sidelines, such as in the Sochi negotiations over Syria that Donnie's hero Putin is hosting without him, or in regional trade deals among former allies and partners. China has taken center stage in Myanmar; Xi doesn't need Trump for anything here, either. Then there was the chilling display of epic stupid about coal at a recent climate meeting. Now the main concern is about whether or not to help the elephant species go extinct, or let good ole boys have their little fun. Stellar. All this while constantly engaged in one white nationalist idiocy or another.

Can't take much more greatness.
Old 23rd November 2017, 01:44 AM   #213
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Now that Trump and his tweets are the center of the known universe for America, quietly the US is being pushed to the sidelines, such as in the Sochi negotiations over Syria that Donnie's hero Putin is hosting without him, or in regional trade deals among former allies and partners. China has taken center stage in Myanmar; Xi doesn't need Trump for anything here, either. Then there was the chilling display of epic stupid about coal at a recent climate meeting. Now the main concern is about whether or not to help the elephant species go extinct, or let good ole boys have their little fun. Stellar. All this while constantly engaged in one white nationalist idiocy or another.

Can't take much more greatness.
All the while, social media continues to flood with posts both pro and con Trump / Hillary / blacks / muslims / racists by bot accounts, presumably from Russia. They haven't let up and it's working.

I've seen this on reddit, 4chan and twitter. In the responses to Trump's tweets I've noticed the same accounts posting both rabid pro and anti trump comments at different times. channers and redditors are suckers for that sort of thing and you wouldn't think those conversations could devolve, but they do.

People are sitting back and watching you rip at each other.
Old 23rd November 2017, 05:12 AM   #214
Stacko
Philosopher

I think someone forgot granddads meds this morning.

Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 05:22 AM   #215
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
So "modern Presidential"
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 06:26 AM   #216
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/22/news...out/index.html

He's probably a bit grumpy this morning since the owners of Trump SoHo have decided to part ways. Seems the Trump name isn't what it used to be.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:18 AM   #217
Civet
Graduate Poster

I remember Trump talking about sending in the feds to help deal with urban crime problems in Chicago. Did anything like that ever happen? I know Chicago crime is still a serious problem, but I'm unclear whether there was any stepped-up federal involvement.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:30 AM   #218
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Is that him responding to a tweet calling him racist by saying MAGA?
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:31 AM   #219
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I remember Trump talking about sending in the feds to help deal with urban crime problems in Chicago. Did anything like that ever happen? I know Chicago crime is still a serious problem, but I'm unclear whether there was any stepped-up federal involvement.
I think that would require him following through with a "promise"?

Not part of his playbook, I'm afraid
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:19 AM   #220
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I think that would require him following through with a "promise"?

Not part of his playbook, I'm afraid
That depends on whether he likes the promise in question or not.

He will certainly attempt repeatedly to implement promises he likes.

But he doesn't like all of his promises. Some of them are just stuff he said to lure gullible Trumpkins to the voting booths on his behalf. No attempts will be made to implement any of those promises.
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:35 AM   #221
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Quote:
Winter Whitehouse?
That's what Mar-a-lago has been nicknamed by various people since January.
Just wondering... does anyone outside of Trump and maybe a few of his surrogates actually use that nick name?

I don't think I've seen anyone else use it.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:41 AM   #222
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Is that him responding to a tweet calling him racist by saying MAGA?
I think so. Is he saying racism is making America great again? Kind of seems like it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:07 AM   #223
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Well, in Michigan, there's a grassroots petition drive to add a measure on the ballot to make gerrymandering illegal. Maybe that will catch on. In any case, any solution needs to be at the individual state level, so hopefully Democrats have learned they can't afford to ignore state elections even in red states.
I don't think Democrats ignored states so much as billionaires like the Kochs and the Mercers poured money into state races.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 23rd November 2017 at 11:11 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:08 AM   #224
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
The hair’s staff are lying about him having a hard day at work, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...iving-meetings
"Working the phones" Maybe that's code for Tweeting.

Trump's a lazy ass pig.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:27 AM   #225
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
"Working the phones" Maybe that's code for Tweeting.

Trump's a lazy ass pig.

"Working the phones." as it relates to politics has in the past been a euphemism for dunning people for political support and campaign contributions.

I wonder if he knows that.
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:48 AM   #226
Arcade22
Illuminator

Worthless low IQ president.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:53 AM   #227
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Just wondering... does anyone outside of Trump and maybe a few of his surrogates actually use that nick name?

I don't think I've seen anyone else use it.
Others don't gain profit from using that nickname. Trump does. Being a member of the club which is the "winter White House" is more prestigious than being a member of Mar-a-lago.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:00 PM   #228
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Others don't gain profit from using that nickname. Trump does. Being a member of the club which is the "winter White House" is more prestigious than being a member of Mar-a-lago.

And I believe he raised his membership rates to reflect that.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:01 PM   #229
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I can't get excited about "Winter White House". That sort of name has been used for alternate presidential residences for decades. I think both Nixon and Reagan had a "California White House". It's sort of like Air Force One -- it's whatever plane the president is on.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:04 PM   #230
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I can't get excited about "Winter White House". That sort of name has been used for alternate presidential residences for decades. I think both Nixon and Reagan had a "California White House". It's sort of like Air Force One -- it's whatever plane the president is on.
"Western White House", I think.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:30 PM   #231
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The White House is wherever the Pres. hangs his Nuclear Football?
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:38 PM   #232
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It wouldn't be so obnoxious if he didn't brag he was going to be working constantly.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:51 PM   #233
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
"Western White House", I think.
I believe that's correct. I'm pretty sure G.W. Bush also had a "Texas White House".
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:53 PM   #234
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here is a very good article from the Atlantic.

Caveat: The further down I got in it, the slower it went. Not sure if it's just my computer or internet; or that the ad load is excessive.
Old 23rd November 2017, 04:38 PM   #235
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Did you know the F-35 is literally invisible?

Quote:
"Amazing job … so amazing we are ordering hundreds of millions of dollars of new planes for the Air Force, especially the F-35. You like the F-35? ... you can't see it. You literally can't see it. It's hard to fight a plane you can't see," Mr Trump said in October.
How do the pilots find it so they can get into it?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 04:51 PM   #236
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Quote:
Mr Trump also said his administration was "building up wealth" to spend more on the military.

"Nobody has the equipment that we have. And it's sad when we're selling our equipment to other countries but we're not buying it ourselves," he said.

"But now that's all changed. And I said, the stuff that we have is always a little bit better too. When we sell to other countries, even if they're allies you never know about an ally. An ally can turn. You're going to find that out.
Americas allies all blink.

You may think that but you never say that.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:16 PM   #237
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

There's no mention of his made-up story about Obama's plane being refused landing rights in the Philippines?

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politi...es-orig-cs.cnn

Ah, I see it's from a week ago. It just got coverage over here yesterday. Maybe it's mentioned a few pages back.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:25 PM   #238
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
There's no mention of his made-up story about Obama's plane being refused landing rights in the Philippines?

Ah, I see it's from a week ago. It just got coverage over here yesterday. Maybe it's mentioned a few pages back.
I'd totally missed that. There are times when I genuinely wonder whether Trump is lying about things like this or whether he just perceives and remembers reality in a way that suits his preferences. I've known a few people like that in my life and they seem to have some of his other personality traits.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2017, 01:11 AM   #239
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

Michael Flynn breaks ties with Trump's lawyers over Russia investigation

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-investigation
Old 24th November 2017, 02:12 AM   #240
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

It was one of those things that was never clarified, and probably will never be clarified. "he got close, but never landed" - paraphrased from memory. This will go under the "trump just says stuff" column. From what i read at the time, the suggestion from Trump was that Obama was somehow refused entry at the last moment, but there are no official records of anything like that happening.

Trump makes so many misleading statements, things that would damage any normal politician, so often, that people are becoming more inured to them. There's just not enough energy to push him to explain every one. That doesn't lessen their effectiveness. Every time he drops one of those weaselly statements it's being lapped up somewhere. It will keep happening as long as he's not held to account, and it doesn't look like there's any way of effectively doing that. It may look like a stuck record, but media must keep on pointing out each instance of poor conduct. Trump fans will disregard them, but people who are not Trump fans must see it, and it must keep up their energy to go to the polls.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics