ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Reply
Old 1st December 2017, 11:14 AM   #201
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,244
Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Can you explain further? What makes a flat earth more likely a creation of god than a spherical earth? Thanks.
That is an excellent question, indeed it raises the issue of where man is arrogant enough to proclaim that The Almighty would not create a spherical earth.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:15 AM   #202
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
"Vacuum" is an inexact term when used in this context to describe outer space

Really?


Quote:
where the pressure is in fact non-zero but many orders of magnitude below atmospheric pressure; typically it falls in the range below 10-10 atmospheres.

Let's get specific, shall we...??

"The Narrative" is we have a Vacuum ("Outer Space") attached to a Non-Vacuum ("Earth").
According to the Laws of Entropy: Unless "Physically" hindered, Gases will flow down a Pressure/[ ] gradient until Equilibrium is reached.

"Thus the diffusion of solute particles takes place DOWN the Concentration Gradient (A *PRESSURE GRADIENT* with respect to partial pressure of *GASES* ) until uniform concentration is achieved".
[ i.e., until EQUILIBRIUM is reached ]
Chatterjea, MN., Shinde, R: Textbook of Medical Biochemistry; 8th Edition, p. 817

According to "The Narrative": Interstellar Space Pressure = 10-17 Torr.

Ergo, Equilibrium MUST = 10-17 Torr.
Ergo, Sea Level MUST BE...10-17 Torr !!
But...The Surface Pressure at Sea Level is 760 Torr.
Therefore, either 'The Narrative' is False OR The Laws of Entropy are False.

Guess where my money's going, ALL IN!!
End of Story!
You Live in a Fairytale.





Quote:
The fact, therefore, that air pressure in the atmosphere varies with altitude demonstrates that pressure differences in gas do not require a solid physical boundary.

1. Non-Sequitur Fallacy.

2. Begging The Question Fallacy (AGAIN): where'd you get Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) without a Container to begin with, when...


"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html

?????

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:21 AM   #203
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
So, there should be no limit on a flat world?

Save for: Limitations of Vision, Perspective, Obstacles (Hills/Mountains ect) Atmospheric Conditions... Humidity, Temperature, Smog, Fog ect ect.


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:23 AM   #204
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,376
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
According to the Laws of Entropy: Unless "Physically" hindered, Gases will flow down a Pressure/[ ] gradient until Equilibrium is reached.
I highlighted the part you don't understand.
__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:25 AM   #205
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,244
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html

?????

regards
SENSATIONAL! You quote a book that says this:

"Atmospheric pressure varies with height just as water pressure varies with depth. As a swimmer dives deeper, the water pressure increases. As a mountain climber ascends to higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure decreases. His body is compressed by a smaller amount of air above it. The atmospheric pressure at 20,000 feet is only one-half of that at sea level because about half of the entire atmosphere is below this elevation."

Golly how do we just keep passing through "walls' that causes atmospheric pressure to decrease?

Thanks the Almighty that He has granted us the faculties to understand this.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:26 AM   #206
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You sure about that? Because you posted an article that said that they bounce radar signals off the ionsphere.

LOL. The Sea Sparrow's 2in RF Pencil Beam isn't "Bounced Off" the Ionosphere from the Fire Control Radar!!


Please QUOTE where the say that...?



Quote:
Sphere again! That word just keep coming up in all the stuff you post.

Well since they say that (Ipse Dixit) it; therefore...must be TRUE. right?



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:27 AM   #207
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,628
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Save for: Limitations of Vision, Perspective, Obstacles (Hills/Mountains ect) Atmospheric Conditions... Humidity, Temperature, Smog, Fog ect ect.


regards
Have you ever attempted to replicate this demonstration?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


What is the Flat Earth explanation for what was displayed in that video?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:30 AM   #208
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post


Wow!! That's Convincing

Walk outside on a sunny day and hold a ball up in the air...is the size of the Shadow bigger or smaller than the Ball...?

Next Block of Instruction: How to make a sandwich...with a light on.


my word people
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:33 AM   #209
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,628
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Wow!! That's Convincing

Walk outside on a sunny day and hold a ball up in the air...is the size of the Shadow bigger or smaller than the Ball...?

Next Block of Instruction: How to make a sandwich...with a light on.


my word people
The point seems to have gone over your head.

Your claim about shadow sizes is demonstrably false. It is trivial to prove you wrong. Babbling about sandwiches does not support your claims, it merely suggests you might do well to take a break for lunch.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:34 AM   #210
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,376
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Walk outside on a sunny day and hold a ball up in the air...is the size of the Shadow bigger or smaller than the Ball...?
Smaller. Try it.

Next.
__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 1st December 2017 at 11:36 AM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:36 AM   #211
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

BUFFOONERY. SEE: Nonsense. Your little image shows "Convergent" Sun Rays. The Sun's Rays, that strike the Earth are "Parallel", Remember?



Quote:
Again, geometry; if the illuminating object is larger than the object casting the shadow, then the cross-section of the shadow is inevitably smaller than the cross-section of the object.

I'd say there's a better chance of Liberace being resurrected sporting a purple tutu and jumping on a chartreuse hobbled unicorn and riding around the Sombrero Galaxy.



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:40 AM   #212
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,376
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
BUFFOONERY. SEE: Nonsense. Your little image shows "Convergent" Sun Rays. The Sun's Rays, that strike the Earth are "Parallel", Remember?
Is the moon the same size as earth and in the same position?
__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 1st December 2017 at 11:42 AM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:42 AM   #213
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Pizzas are not globes, pizzas are not spheres.

But you claimed "ROUND", you didn't say "Sphere".



Quote:
protip; try not to say that something is "incoherent" and then respond with a comment that shows that it is not incoherent at all.

ProTip: try not to post Generalized Ipse Dixit Baseless 'bare' Assertion Fallacies.



Quote:
Now why could Steve Austin see it?

Well Steve Austin (Six Million Dollar Man) had a Bionic Eye.



Quote:
Because he had a extreme telescopic magnification and infrared capabilities!

I was being Facetious. How bout you turn your attention to the "ACTUAL' Arguments and attempt to save your Spinning-Ball' Religion.


Quote:
You know what else has extreme telescopic magnification? A telescope! Yay!

A Telescope isn't overcoming adverse Atmospheric Conditions or Obstacles.



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:55 AM   #214
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post

a. It's a phenomenon which results in the exertion of a force.
b. Both.
c. The effect of mass interacting with space-time.

So....

1. Which 'gravity'... Einstienian or Newtonian ??

You forgot to answer the question.

a. Is gravity a Force?

It's a phenomenon which results in the exertion of a force.

That Rules Out Einsteinian 'gravity'...

"Einstein came up with the theory of general relativity (1915), the prototype of all modern gravitational theories. Its crucial ingredient, involving a colossal intellectual jump, is the concept of gravitation, NOT AS A FORCE, but as a manifestation of the curvature of space-time..."
https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/...ekenstein.html

That Creates another Problem, since your 'scientific community' doesn't follow Newtonian 'gravity'...

"...Einstein created his general theory of relativity—which provides *OUR MODERN UNDERSTANDING of gravity* —with the express purpose of expunging nonlocality from physics. Isaac Newton's gravity acted at a distance, as if by magic, and general relativity snapped the wand in two by showing that the curvature of spacetime, and *NOT AN INVISIBLE FORCE* , gives rise to gravitational attraction."
Musser George: How Einstein Revealed the Universe's Strange "Nonlocality"; Scientific American, November 2015.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-nonlocality/

Please Reconcile...?




b. Is 'gravity' a Scientific Law or Scientific Theory?

Both.

1. Elephant Hurling Fallacies are not answers.
2. Can't be both...
Newtonian Gravity is ... "A Force".
EinSHtienian Gravity is NOT ... "A Force".
They are 'Mutually Exclusive'. They're not even in the same Geometry for cryin out-loud:
Newtonian 'gravity' is Euclidean 3 Space; whereas, EinSHtienian 'gravity' is Pseudo- Riemannian 4 Space.


c. What is the CAUSE of 'gravity'...?

The effect of mass interacting with space-time.

Factually Incorrect...

Martin Rees; FRS, Astronomer Royal; Esteemed British cosmologist/ astrophysicist...

"WHAT CAUSES GRAVITY AND MASS? Is the universe infinite? How did atoms assemble—on at least one planet around at least one star—into beings able to ponder these mysteries? THESE QUESTIONS STILL BAFFLE ALL OF US. Rather than the “end of science” being nigh, we are still near the beginning of the cosmic quest."
http://assets.press.princeton.edu/chapters/p7115.pdf



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:59 AM   #215
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,244
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
A Telescope isn't overcoming adverse Atmospheric Conditions or Obstacles.

regards
You sure? Because you just showed that you don't understand how atmospheric conditions work.. And I just came in from the same atmospheric conditions:

At the front door of my building I could not see Michigan across Lake Michigan.

One elevator ride later, fantastic view of Michigan.

By the way, no need to Blaspheme about your Spinning-Ball' Religion. We are both Christians are we not?
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:00 PM   #216
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Nope. We observe that the measured pressure at sea level has a certain value.

You continue to 'Whistle Past The Graveyard' and Beg The Question (Fallacy), smh.

Read this slowly, then answer...

How can you have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) without a Container, when...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html

In other words, How can you have a Rib Eye without The Cow?



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:00 PM   #217
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,517
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Wow!! That's Convincing
You seem to think a rolleyes symbol proves your point. It doesn't.

In the picture I posted how big is the shadow relative to the object that created it?
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:02 PM   #218
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,517
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
You continue to 'Whistle Past The Graveyard' and Beg The Question (Fallacy), smh.

Read this slowly, then answer...

How can you have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) without a Container, when...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html
Atmospheric pressure:

Quote:
Atmospheric pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted against a surface by the weight of the air above that surface
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/gu...w/prs/def.rxml

Nothing to do with a container.
__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:03 PM   #219
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,376
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
How can you have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) without a Container,
We never said there was no container. You just don't understand it.

How do you explain the observed difference in pressure with altitude?
__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 1st December 2017 at 12:07 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:07 PM   #220
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I know, you just said that and you just proved it wrong! Which was so fun!

Oh Brother.



Quote:
You said you needed a container

Yes, you need a Container to have Gas Pressure. So where's the Container?



Quote:
but then said as you go up the mountain the pressure drops.

Yes. What's your point?



Quote:
Unless you are suggesting that we are going through a bunch of containers, you have managed to prove your claim

Unbelieveable.



Quote:
"in order to have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) to begin with you must have a Container" prima facie false!

So you're a "Science" and Self-Evident denier. Thanks



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:11 PM   #221
davefoc
Philosopher
 
davefoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: orange country, california
Posts: 9,214
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
cough... Galapagos... cough...
Is this because the Galapagos islands are close to the ice wall that keeps the oceans from draining off the edge?
__________________
The way of truth is along the path of intellectual sincerity. -- Henry S. Pritchett

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:15 PM   #222
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,244
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Unbelieveable.


regards
Oh brother indeed! You are not suggesting a "container" can have an infinite amount of gas pressures are you? Perhaps what we are seeing when one measures atmospheric pressure is gravity?

I know lets take a long hard gander at YOUR SOURCE:

Quote:
Atmospheric pressure varies with height just as water pressure varies with depth. As a swimmer dives deeper, the water pressure increases. As a mountain climber ascends to higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure decreases. His body is compressed by a smaller amount of air above it. The atmospheric pressure at 20,000 feet is only one-half of that at sea level because about half of the entire atmosphere is below this elevation.

Atmospheric pressure at sea level can be expressed in terms of 14.7 pounds per square inch. The pressure in car or bicycle tires is also measured in pounds per square inches. A car should have 26-30 lb/sq.in. and bicycle tires 40-60/sq.in.
literally the next sentences! fantastic.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:18 PM   #223
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,303
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
You continue to 'Whistle Past The Graveyard' and Beg The Question (Fallacy), smh.

Read this slowly, then answer...

How can you have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) without a Container, when...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html

In other words, How can you have a Rib Eye without The Cow?



regards
Is the pressure of a gas within its container consistent or does it vary throughout the container?
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:23 PM   #224
BillC
Bazooka Joe
 
BillC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,531
Daniel's interest in doing this seems to be as an intellectual exercise in defending an indefensible position. Anyway, have a super weekend all.
__________________
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
"If homeopathy works, then obviously the less you use it, the stronger it gets. So the best way to apply homeopathy is to not use it at all." - Phil Plait
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:25 PM   #225
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
To you, apparently, the word "and".

Profound.



Quote:
You have no evidence to suggest that it has

What's "IT" and has "WHAT"...?




Quote:
you simply have the deliberate confabulation of the range of a missile, determined primarily by its fuel capacity

1. Baseless Ipse Dixit 'bare' Assertion Fallacy.

2. Red Herring Fallacy. smh, What's the Range of the NATO Sea Sparrow...?




Quote:
, with the limitation imposed on the range for one specific use of that missile, despite the fact that the very links and excerpts you post indicate that it has other uses (there's that tricky word "and," you see) such as anti-aircraft where the greater missile range would be significant.

Non-Sequitur Fallacy. Just because it has other uses, doesn't PRECLUDE the fact that it can engage Surface Targets.



Quote:
The Sea Sparrow, as its name suggests, is an adaptation of the AIM-7 Sparrow air-to-air missile for ship-based use.

And where did the Guidance System for the AIM-7 come from...?
This is Irrelevant to my argument anyways.


Can you wake me up when you're ready to reckon with the Actual Argument?? Just in Case you forgot with the Barrage of Red Herring Fallacies...

"Bistatic, semiactive seekers in the nose of a missile receive a reflected signal from a target that is being “illuminated” with an RF signal transmitted from a fire control radar on a stand-off platform (e.g., aircraft, ship). Such systems REQUIRE that the platform maintain LINE OF SIGHT (LOS) to the target until it is engaged by the missile. Ship-based standard missile (SM) and NATO Seasparrow AAW missiles are examples of such a semiactive mode."
http://m.eet.com/media/1111959/819_radar3.pdf

Range is MORE THAN 35 Miles. http://www.naval-technology.com/proj...-missile-essm/
The target is "Illuminated" with a 2 inch Pencil Beam (RF) which has to be maintained "Painted" on the target until detonation. At a more than generous 80 Feet Elevation above Sea LEVEL (Tracking Radar Height), the target should be hidden behind 385 Feet of Curvature.

Please explain how you can have Line of Site (LOS) 35 Miles Away on a "Spinning-Ball" by showing how an 2" RF Pencil Beam can penetrate 385 Feet (117 METERS) of Target Hidden Height through a WALL OF WATER 24 MILES in Length...??
(ps. 35 miles is *"Low Balling"* : (The 'Official' Max Effective Range is Classified ---- i.e. it's MUCH MUCH greater than 35 Miles!).



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:29 PM   #226
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Is it fair to assume that Daniel believes that the earth is accelerating at a constant 32 ft per second square?

Ahhh NO. It's an Incoherent Straw Man Fallacy; The Earth is Stationary. They have a saying regarding "Assumptions".


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:33 PM   #227
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
I highlighted the part you don't understand.

That's Great, AND...? Like, How is the Atmosphere "Physically Hindered"...?

Let's see if "YOU" understand.

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:34 PM   #228
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,711
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Daniel's interest in doing this seems to be as an intellectual exercise in defending an indefensible position. Anyway, have a super weekend all.
Particularly as he formerly held the diametrically opposed view. He's doing it for the sake of the reaction he garners, no doubt.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:37 PM   #229
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,244
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Particularly as he formerly held the diametrically opposed view. He's doing it for the sake of the reaction he garners, no doubt.
Now, lets not be too hasty. He is indeed doing a magnificent job in proving the world is spherical!

__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:38 PM   #230
The_Animus
Master Poster
 
The_Animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,642
Cool

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
1. Appeal to Motive/Intent (Fallacy).

2. Well you can't have a Flat/Non-Spinning/Domed/Geocentric Earth in Shangri-La, the "Jig is Up" in a Prima Facie sorta way.

regards
1. Asking you that question wasn't an argument. I just wanted to know out of my own curiosity.

But as long as you bring it up...

2. You're making an exceptional claim, that the earth is flat, and part of that claim involves huge numbers of people supposedly conspiring to mislead everyone that the earth is a sphere. While you don't need to provide a reason for the conspiracy in order to prove the earth is flat, to not have one would be bizarre.
__________________
Straw Man, Ad Hominem, Moving the Goalposts, and a massive post count are all good indicators that a poster is intellectually dishonest and not interested in real discussion.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:40 PM   #231
Imhotep
Muse
 
Imhotep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 607
I'm going to keep going West until I hit something. I'll report in later.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:43 PM   #232
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
SENSATIONAL!

I thought so.



Quote:
You quote a book that says this:

"Atmospheric pressure varies with height just as water pressure varies with depth. As a swimmer dives deeper, the water pressure increases. As a mountain climber ascends to higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure decreases. His body is compressed by a smaller amount of air above it. The atmospheric pressure at 20,000 feet is only one-half of that at sea level because about half of the entire atmosphere is below this elevation."

Did I CITE this...? NOPE...Ergo; I'm not responsible to SUPPORT IT.

Ya see... if I CITE from a Reference, Encyclopedia Britannica for example --- lets say in the "A" section Page 3, you can't Invalidate my CITATION or Rationale or "Cry Foul" if: something in Section B Page 3 is FALSE and/or is not RELEVANT... i.e., Red Herring Fallacy, Or say: "Your Claim is Trash because Section B makes a Claim that supports something I said yesterday!!" (rotflol) Follow? (It's Rhetorical at this point).

See ya next year in 8th Grade!
That's why they call them "CITATIONS"!!

ps. Water (liquid) is NOT a Gas.


Quote:
Golly how do we just keep passing through "walls' that causes atmospheric pressure to decrease?

Golly, For the 376th Time...How can you have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) without a Container, when...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER".
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchemb...0pressure.html


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:50 PM   #233
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
We never said there was no container.

Really, Well the post directly above yours from "Threadworm" just said it



Quote:
You just don't understand it.

Can you be "A Tad" more Specific?



Quote:
How do you explain the observed difference in pressure with altitude?

I don't attempt to, it's Red Herring Fallacy (Irrelevant/Diversion) to my Argument.


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:51 PM   #234
davefoc
Philosopher
 
davefoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: orange country, california
Posts: 9,214
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
...

Yes, you need a Container to have Gas Pressure. So where's the Container?
...
I think I know what the round earthers idea is here. They think that the air pressure on earth gradually declines with increased altitude until the pressure of the atmosphere is at the near vacuum of empty space in the solar system.

Interestingly, some round earthers claim that the pressure is about 10 -7 torr at about 100 km above the earth and continues to decline until it is around 10-11 torr on the moon and most of the space between the planets. Some of the round earthers also claim that the pressure drops to about 10-15 torr in the space between the stars in our galaxy.

The round earthers claim that this tiny amount of atmosphere produces enough drag on satellites in low Earth to cause their orbits to gradually decay.

Of course, all these round earthers are part of the world wide conspiracy to delude the masses into believing the earth is round. If it weren't for the courage of people like Daniel to speak out against this conspiracy and proclaim the truth that we'd all be just a bunch of gullible round earthers swallowing the BS pushed by the round earth conspirators.

ETA: A little more on what the round earthers think about this: The idea the round earthers have in mind is a gradual drop off in air pressure as you get farther from Earth, so the round Earthers don't see any need for a container to keep the air in. And the round Earthers claim that since no container has ever been found enveloping the earth to hold the atmosphere in there isn't one. This is one of the arguments the round Earthers use to claim the firmament doesn't exist. They don't see it, and with their primitive understanding of physics they think it is impossible that there is one.
__________________
The way of truth is along the path of intellectual sincerity. -- Henry S. Pritchett

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb

Last edited by davefoc; 1st December 2017 at 01:04 PM.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:57 PM   #235
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,244
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I thought so.

Did I CITE this...? NOPE...Ergo; I'm not responsible to SUPPORT IT.

Ya see... if I CITE from a Reference, Encyclopedia Britannica for example --- lets say in the "A" section Page 3, you can't Invalidate my CITATION or Rationale or "Cry Foul" if: something in Section B Page 3 is FALSE and/or is not RELEVANT... i.e., Red Herring Fallacy, Or say: "Your Claim is Trash because Section B makes a Claim that supports something I said yesterday!!" (rotflol) Follow? (It's Rhetorical at this point).
Did you "cite" it? Yep you sure did, you linked right to it as part of your argument. We get that you didn't "quote" it (because lies of omission) but you did indeed "cite" to it.

And what is super extra special is that I absolutely can and did invalidate your argument by quoting to the remainder of the material YOU CITED!

USCS Fed Rules Evid R 106 provides "When a writing or recorded statement or part thereof is introduced by a party, an adverse party may require the introduction at that time of any other part or any other writing or recorded statement which ought in fairness to be considered contemporaneously with it." This is known as the "Rule of completeness is a principle of evidence law that when a party introduces part of a writing or an utterance at trial, the adverse party may require the introduction of any other part to establish the full context."

So you "cite' a book and cherrypick one section. TBD uses that same "cite" to execute great vengeance upon the argument with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am TBD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:57 PM   #236
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh brother indeed! You are not suggesting a "container" can have an infinite amount of gas pressures are you?

Nope. And "Infinite" doesn't exist mathematically let alone in Reality.




Quote:
Perhaps what we are seeing when one measures atmospheric pressure is gravity?

1. Which 'gravity'... Einstienian or Newtonian ??

a. Is gravity a Force?
b. Is 'gravity' a Scientific Law or Scientific Theory?
c. What is the CAUSE of 'gravity'...?

2. Oh Never Mind...

"A GAS is a sample of matter that conforms to the shape of a CONTAINER in which it is held and acquires a uniform density inside the CONTAINER, EVEN IN THE PRESENCE OF GRAVITY and regardless of the amount of substance in the CONTAINER. If not confined to a CONTAINER, gaseous matter, also known as vapor, WILL DISPERSE INTO SPACE."
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/gas

You can confirm this yourself. Go out and depress the pin on your Tricycle Tire and tell us what happens.



Quote:
I know lets take a long hard gander at YOUR SOURCE:

Atmospheric pressure varies with height just as water pressure varies with depth. As a swimmer dives deeper, the water pressure increases. As a mountain climber ascends to higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure decreases. His body is compressed by a smaller amount of air above it. The atmospheric pressure at 20,000 feet is only one-half of that at sea level because about half of the entire atmosphere is below this elevation.

Atmospheric pressure at sea level can be expressed in terms of 14.7 pounds per square inch. The pressure in car or bicycle tires is also measured in pounds per square inches. A car should have 26-30 lb/sq.in. and bicycle tires 40-60/sq.in.

literally the next sentences! fantastic.

Did I CITE this...? NOPE...Ergo; I'm not responsible to SUPPORT IT.

Ya see... if I CITE from a Reference, Encyclopedia Britannica for example --- lets say in the "A" section Page 3, you can't Invalidate my CITATION or Rationale or "Cry Foul" if: something in Section B Page 3 is FALSE and/or is not RELEVANT... i.e., Red Herring Fallacy, Or say: "Your Claim is Trash because Section B makes a Claim that supports something I said yesterday!!" (rotflol) Follow? (It's Rhetorical at this point).

See ya next year in 8th Grade!
That's why they call them "CITATIONS"!!

ps. Water (liquid) is NOT a Gas.


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:59 PM   #237
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
He's doing it for the sake of the reaction he garners, no doubt.

Appeal to Intent/Motive (Fallacy).

i.e., No coherent argument/position.

regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:03 PM   #238
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,244
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
"A GAS is a sample of matter that conforms to the shape of a CONTAINER in which it is held and acquires a uniform density inside the CONTAINER, EVEN IN THE PRESENCE OF GRAVITY and regardless of the amount of substance in the CONTAINER. If not confined to a CONTAINER, gaseous matter, also known as vapor, WILL DISPERSE INTO SPACE."
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/gas
Falls over in rapture! But you just said that as we go up the pressure decreases, so you have once again managed to contradict your entire argument in literally one fell swoop!

Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man getteth understanding!
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your Clinton loving faces.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:04 PM   #239
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
I think I know what the round earthers idea is here. They think that the air pressure on earth gradually declines with increased altitude until the pressure of the atmosphere is at the near vacuum of empty space in the solar system.

Stone Cold 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (Laws of Entropy) Violation.

ps. “If your theory is found to be AGAINST the SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS, I can give you no hope; there is nothing for [your theory] but to COLLAPSE IN THE DEEPEST HUMILIATION.”
Arthur S. Eddington, The Nature of the Physical World (1930), p. 74.



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:07 PM   #240
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,674
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Daniel's interest in doing this seems to be as an intellectual exercise in defending an indefensible position. Anyway, have a super weekend all.
Well, some kind of exercise, anyway. It's no more to do with intellect than whatever it takes to learn to type one-handed, though- the kind of exercise one really should do (and be left to do) alone. (Shrug) Some folks just gotta be exhibitionist about it, I guess...
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.